Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,882 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe (26027 Views)

Names Of Occupants Of Osborne Towers Ikoyi Where $50m Was Found By EFCC / Court Ruling On The $48M Recovered From Osborne Towers, Ikoyi / Ikoyi $43 Million: Magu, Presidency In Dilemma Over The Discovered Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by dre11(m): 9:11am On Apr 17, 2017
By: Yusuf Alli, Abuja

More facts emerged at the weekend on the cash haul at Osborne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) was on the trail of some high-profile tenants when it found the $43.4 million, £27,000 and N23 million at House 6, Apartment 7B, it was learnt.

Four of the tenants have been quizzed; a petition is pending against the fifth.

The building, it was learnt, had been under surveillance because of the tenants.

Sources said a whistle-blower alerted the EFCC about the apartment in which the huge cash was recovered.

When the EFCC moved in, a source said, it was unaware that the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) had a Safe Apartment there.

The high-profile tenants live in the building.

The anti-graft agency, according to the sources, had been trying to identify the tenants’ assets, including choice apartments in the towers.

The whistle-blower, it was learnt, might have had knowledge of the EFCC’s discreet investigation and decided to help.

But, as it turned out, the apartment does not belong to any of the tenants.

One of them was said to have sold his stake in the towers.

A source said: “As at the time of the EFCC’s operation on Wednesday, about five high-profile tenants, who are either being investigated or on the radar of the commission, were suspected to be living or having apartments there.

“Some of the tenants have been quizzed and others are undergoing investigation. Only one of them has an outstanding petition still being probed by EFCC detectives.”

“Among them are two former governors, a director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and two prominent lawyers.

“So, when the whistle-blower raised the red flag, the EFCC was quick to move in without knowing that the 7B apartment is a safe house of the NIA.

There was excitement in the Lagos Zonal office of the EFCC about a breakthrough. This was why the operation started between 10am and 11am,” the source said.

He said EFCC was hesitant to cooperate with the NIA.

A government official, who pleaded not to be named because of “the sensitivity” of the matter, spoke last night in what transpired between EFCC and NIA.

He said the EFCC did not set out to ridicule or embarrass the NIA. “It is unfortunate that this is the second time this type of incident is happening between the two agencies,” he said, adding:

“There was a case of some cash released for contingency assignment by presidential fiat through the NIA account. The release was based on the directive of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

“When the EFCC began the investigation of some Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs), it traced the movement of the cash to NIA account. Instead of seeking explanation from the Director-General of NIA, Ambassador Ayo Oke, the EFCC wrote directly to the Central Bank of Nigeria( CBN) to demand the details of the transactions on the said account.

“In fact, the documents obtained from CBN included other sensitive operations and overhead. The NIA took exception to it. When President Muhammadu Buhari intervened, he saw all the records that neither NIA DG nor any staff benefited from the said funds.

“NIA actually transferred the whole money as directed by the ex-President to another dedicated account. Subsequent EFCC investigation did not indict NIA. As for Wednesday’s operation, it was true that DG of NIA rushed to the Acting chairman of EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, who promised to intervene. The NIA boss only asked EFCC to retrieve the cash without making a public show of it in the media.

“At the time the NIA got in touch with EFCC, the operation was already midway and strategy wise, the EFCC chairman felt it would convey a different impression because a crowd had already gathered in and around the towers.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “The operation was based on the clues from the whistle-blower. The commission acted on intelligence. No one gave EFCC a list of safe houses of NIA. And the cash was also considered huge for NIA’s covert operations.”

According to the source, the EFCC secured clearance from a senior intelligence officer before continuing its operation after entreaties from the NIA.

”I think there was communication gap somewhere and lack of synergy between the security and intelligence agencies,” he said, adding:

“This incident will serve as a lesson for all the agencies to cooperate and share intelligence.”

Nigerians have continued to raise questions about the ownership of the mystery cash, which the NIA has claimed.

Among the questions is that if the money was meant for operations, why has it not been spent in two years? Was there any need for it, considering how long it has stayed unspent?

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has said the money belongs to the state. If it is not returned in seven days, said the governor, the state will launch a legal battle to recover it.

He said it was the proceed of the state’s gas turbine sold by the Rotimi Amaechi administration.

Amaechi denied the claim, saying he had nothing to do with the money. He challenged Wike to prove the allegation.

About N16billion has been recovered by the EFCC in the last few days in Lagos.

About N12,360,814,000 and N4billion were traced to private accounts.

On December 22, last year, the Federal Government launched the whistle blowing policy to expose fraud and other related crimes in public and private sectors.

The Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, said: “If there is a voluntary return of stolen or concealed public funds or assets on the account of the information provided, the whistle blower may be entitled to anywhere between 2.5 per cent (minimum) and 5.0 per cent (maximum) of the total amount recovered.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/five-osborne-towers-vip-tenants-efcc-probe/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by Imortal001: 9:13am On Apr 17, 2017
Keep the good work going Mr magu

18 Likes

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by tayoxx(m): 9:15am On Apr 17, 2017
I strongly feel the NIA is covering someone..but wait oo so Nigeria get intelligence agency ..wonderful.. but I doubt if them get staff or base self..

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by omenkaLives(m): 9:17am On Apr 17, 2017
The true story behind this loot is yet to be revealed.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by SalamRushdie: 9:29am On Apr 17, 2017
So these people have succeeded in protecting Lootimi Hammerchi

73 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by ephi123(f): 9:35am On Apr 17, 2017
All this cover up scheming is happening under Mister Integrity. Incredible.

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by Jabioro: 9:40am On Apr 17, 2017
Someone should tell me that the more I look the less I see.. NIA are purely working for cabals.. Mr President and National security adviser in which NIA working directly with failed to be aware of such huge amounts out circulation, meant for NIA covert operation. The cabals have ate deep into our system.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by ijustdey: 9:50am On Apr 17, 2017
is this a ploy to cover up the loot....

because by the end of the week and no identity is placed on the owner of the loot.......... then i know the corruption fight is all false/ruse

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by verygudbadguy(m): 9:54am On Apr 17, 2017
The truth is yet to be unveiled...

6 Likes

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by joeprince23(m): 11:18am On Apr 17, 2017
This is a non-sense cover up story by ‘‘nation newspaper'' owned by jagaban an APC chieftan trying to protect amaechi another APC cheiftain sorry THEIFTAIN. the 5th un-known tenate is MO abu popular for her show moment with mo. MO is a mistress to chibuike rotimi amaechi our former governor in rivers state...

PH IS ANGRY!,AMAECHI DON KILL US!! , arrest AMAECHI NOW!!!

We AFAM indigenes will pay back,oyigbo is angry!!!!!

AMAECHI IS A BIG THEIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by 989900: 11:23am On Apr 17, 2017
SalamRushdie:
So these people have succeed in protecting Lootimi

grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by 989900: 11:23am On Apr 17, 2017
Story, story . . . Story. Once upon a time . . . time, time . . .

3 Likes

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by josephine123: 11:36am On Apr 17, 2017
WATCH VIDEO: The Huge Amount Of Money Uncovered By EFCC In Ikoyi, Lagos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxja6Brs9K4
Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by ihatebuhari(f): 11:37am On Apr 17, 2017
confused government

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by massinola(m): 11:37am On Apr 17, 2017
Naija I hail una. My people talk am say "person wey talk say early morning sweeping na bad thing for another man house but go him house to quarrel his wife for not sweeping, na the gods go judge him matter " when Yakubu money was discovered, sharp sharp EFCC disclosed him name to even the birds in the bush. Now to disclose who owns this one discovered in Ikoyi has become a a further maths. Buhari and his anti corruption tire me. Nigeria has become the more you look, the less you see.
Watch BMC crew coming to do their pay

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by 2016v2017: 11:37am On Apr 17, 2017
stop,stop,buhari and your scam men,I said stop trying to play over the intelligence of over 180m Nigerians.
You and your men are not smart, for trying to fool Nigerians with what is very simple to understand, even by a 3yrs old baby.
So,lagos state govt.didn't know who they give C of O of the property?
So the house have no landlord ?
landlord doesn't know the name of his tenant?
No agreement before the house or the apartment was sold/rent?
the whole building doesn't have security?

9 Likes

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by naija209: 11:37am On Apr 17, 2017
Make una help me oh!!

I need only 5,000 Naira. Let me use it and put food inside my stomach.
At least it will serve me for 14 days. Una fit contribute, no amount is too small.

undecided Useless politicians stealing while the masses are suffering.

5 Likes

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by Ventura1: 11:37am On Apr 17, 2017
PDP is the thief.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by Kenneth205(m): 11:37am On Apr 17, 2017
I don't even know what to say... angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by lonelydora: 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
Since no one wants to claim that money, which off everything do I visit to claim it? Pl s2 I need answer asap
Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by TroubleMaker47(m): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
And at the end of the day Rotimi walks!
Nigeria which way? cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by ednut1(m): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
Bullocks
Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by burkingx(f): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
grin
Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by ruggedized1: 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
SalamRushdie:
So these people have succeeded in protecting Lootimi Hammerchi

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by burkingx(f): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
grin grin
Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by waleakanfe(m): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
OK....
Lemme kontinu watching as dis season film unfolds.

1 Like

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by joeprince23(m): 11:39am On Apr 17, 2017
Ventura1:
PDP is the thief.
yoruba man if u talk this kind thing for bonny eeh... btw i am from rivers, we ndoki-igbo they call ur type ‘‘ishi mma'' meaning cone head or ishawuru head.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by LeSammy: 11:40am On Apr 17, 2017
I must be a whistle blower ooo angry angry

Sell your iTunes giftcards at good rates... contact on my signature
Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by superemmy(m): 11:40am On Apr 17, 2017
Always under probe but at the end of the day nothing to show for it. Why is Amaechi not under probe? Why is Babachir Lawal not under probe?

Efcc is just an Agency of Double Agents.
Magu walahi we dey see ya handwork fa

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by Cuntslayer: 11:40am On Apr 17, 2017
Which one is quizzing tenants again?, when even the managers of the building have confirmed that Amaechi stays in the flat where money was found.

Continue deceiving yourselves EF F**cking C

5 Likes

Re: Ikoyi $43 Million: Five Osborne Towers VIP Tenants Under EFCC Probe by GodProtectIgbox(f): 11:41am On Apr 17, 2017
they should arrest ameachi girlfriend too

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Invasion Of Asari’s Residence Provocative – IYC / 2023: Why APC Bigwigs Have Eyes On Jonathan / Tinubu To Obasanjo: You Are An Election Rigger Without Peer (2019)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.