Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Workplace Sexual Harrasment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Workplace Sexual Harrasment (13678 Views)

Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace? / Workplace Sexual Harassment- How To Curb It! / How Rampant Is Office Sexual Harrasment In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Workplace Sexual Harrasment by legalifyNg: 4:24am On Apr 18, 2017
(Four Minutes Read)

Sexual Harassment is a silent prevailing workplace menace, whose victims are both male and female.
The female cannot speak out because of the male chauvinistic settings of the society, and also, the male cannot cry for help because of societal expectations.
So both gender suffer in silence, everybody pretend as if it never occurred and life continues. Only that it does occurred!
Dealing with sexual harassment can be both trick and difficult.

1).What is Sexual Harassment
2).How can Business prevent Workplace Sexual Harassment
3). Facing the Music
4). What to do if you are sexually harassed

A) Sexual Harassment

Is an unwanted sexual advances, request for sexual favours; it may be verbal or physical. Sexual Harassment generally creates an intimidating,hostile, offensive and tense workplace atmosphere. It ultimately violates the victim's dignity as a person.

B).Examples of Sexual Harassment
It comes in all shapes and sizes. It might be an innocent or deliberate process such as

i. Making lewd suggestive comments
ii. Touching a woman's bosom or bottom
iii. Unnecessary provocative starring.

Some people are touchy people, who naturally tend to touch people when communicating, this might be a form of sexual Harassment especially when it's unwanted by the victim.

C).How can business prevent it.

Business and workplace can do a lot to curb this menace such as

i. Sensitization of employees through seminars, calendars.t.c
ii. Creating a formal channel to report and deal precisely with such occurrence.
iii. Draw out sexual harassment policy.

D). Facing the music
Dancing to the music, the consequence, for your business might be fatal if not dealt with on time and precisely. Business and reputation go hand in hand
A workplace where sexual harassment thrives reduces the zeal or the urge of the workers to give their best, which results in low productivity.
i). Court Action
A person who sexually harass another may be liable under plethora of relevant laws, such as Lagos State Criminal Code.
ii). Employer’s Vicarious liability
As an employer, in whose employment such sexual harassment thrives without any measure to curb it, you may be vicariously liable.
In the end, it wouldn’t matter whether the employer wins or loose in court, because your business or reputation might just not recover.

E). What to do if you are sexually been harassed

There is no hard and fast rule to this, it ain’t set in stone. The severity of each case of sexual harassment differs
1. Confrontation: Express your displeasure in clear and bold terms. Those who sexually harass others are like bullies, they feed on fear and weaknesses of their victim. They have a nose for it, so you must toughen up, and suffocate your own fears to be a able to consistently stand up to them.
2. Documentation
Seriously, you need to document. whether or not you will pursue a legal action, you still need certain evidence, to report to a higher authority or to prove pattern of sexual harassment to other victims.
3. Report
File an Official complaint, in writing. Don’t make the mistake of complaining to an higher authority orally, people deny even their mother, so denying you never reported wont be hard. Also, get a stamped copy showing it was received by such person’s office for documentation. People naturally tend to take written things more seriously than oral ones.

4. Start writing another C.V
What happens, where the higher Authority that is to be reported to is the one sexually harassing you? You might have to look for job elsewhere or speak with your superman lawyer.

Feel free to drop feedbacks and comments, or contact me with suggestions for topics you’d like to see written about — using our handles.

Follow us on Twitter : @LegalifyNg
Facebook: legalifyNg

www.legalify.ng[/color]

2 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by youngbelieve(f): 4:40am On Apr 18, 2017
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by SEYILIGHT(m): 4:41am On Apr 18, 2017
What's political about this post?
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:52am On Apr 18, 2017
Mehn, go and do sexual harassment shyyte in oyibo land. This is Nairaland, women here are yearning for our attention, they get upset if we dont gaze and comment about their beautiful parts.

13 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by omowolewa: 6:00am On Apr 18, 2017
Okay, am just looking for that scapegoat that will try that nonsense with me.
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by Mopolchi: 7:32am On Apr 18, 2017
grin
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by Onwardvic(m): 7:32am On Apr 18, 2017
Talking about reporting, who is that person to report to? is it the CEO or the executives, you may end up receiving a second dose, to the courts? if you don't have the cash, definitely,the lawyer will demand you pay in kind, I don't even want to talk about the police.
If you are so much interested in checking it,then think about being your own boss otherwise, you learn to live with it cos it must surely be coming.

5 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by daamazing(m): 7:32am On Apr 18, 2017
Has Tboss done this, someone should quote her, let her read it.

1 Like

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by WachsComedy: 7:33am On Apr 18, 2017
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by mikeycharles(m): 7:33am On Apr 18, 2017
I come against every spirit of 'kemen' that is trying to harass my future wife.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by 0955eb027(m): 7:34am On Apr 18, 2017
Here to learn.
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by ednut1(m): 7:34am On Apr 18, 2017
most of the babes working in one man firms Their ogas regularly have sex with them. all those sexy secretary and admin workers i no fit date dem o. d day i catch my oga and secretary for my former place i work i weak. The oga still attend her wedding lol. op saying report. if na d business owner dey chase after u wetin u go do. gals will just be lik instead of being unemployed gv him kitty afterall emeka, tunde ,felix and co don collect am tire for free

12 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 18, 2017
Let's call a spade a spade.
As much as I hate to admit it, some things have being happening since before 10A.D and they are not stopping anytime soon.
You see this issue of Sexual harassment.
As long as there is a boss and subordinate somewhere regardless of gender. There will always be Sexual harassment.
Power intoxicates.

2 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by Hygizee(m): 7:34am On Apr 18, 2017
Only 4 comments made front page? Wow
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by mikkypel(m): 7:35am On Apr 18, 2017
Ladies of nowadays sees nothing about it... .They use what they have to get what they need... They would say their bf who has been eating the kitten all this years, what has he done for me? So why should i give sex a second thought to get what i want.... Though it is because we are still far from been mentally free in this part of the world

8 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by Tapout(m): 7:35am On Apr 18, 2017
I've been there before.... During my IT. cheesy

Yes I liked it angry angry
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by femi4: 7:36am On Apr 18, 2017
omowolewa:
Omolewa but you rest your boobs on another man's shoulder. Is that not harassment?
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by fr3do(m): 7:41am On Apr 18, 2017
Mtcheeww, Some people never belle full, na to come dey reason this one.

Just kidding o!
informative write up!
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by fr3do(m): 7:43am On Apr 18, 2017
omowolewa:

coconut head, when you should be wishing that such never comes your way.

8 Likes

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by dingbang(m): 7:44am On Apr 18, 2017
I thought they said they like d attention

1 Like

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by AreaFada2: 7:44am On Apr 18, 2017
Hygizee:
Only 4 comments made front page? Wow

Because it is a very important topic.

Your gf, wife or sister might be silently going through it. Especially your wife might be too unnerved to mention it to hubby. Fearful of hubby making her leave the job she loves or worst still suspecting that she led him (the one harassing her) on in the first place. Or the the hubby might lose it and go make a scene at her workplace or wherever it is.

Men silently suffer too. Sometimes those bold ladies are not so subtle. When you keep resisting they might insinuating the man is gay or impotent.

1 Like

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by bootylady101(f): 7:49am On Apr 18, 2017
mikeycharles:
I come against every spirit of 'kemen' that is trying to harass my future wife.

smh

your future wife left her bf's place this morning after spending 3days of seminars.

pray she doesn't give you another man's child to raise as your own

1 Like

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by mikeycharles(m): 7:50am On Apr 18, 2017
bootylady101:

smh

your future wife left her bf's place this morning after spending 3days of seminars.

this girl u wicked oh maybe you're my future wife so I hope you haven't done what you just said
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by mikeycharles(m): 7:53am On Apr 18, 2017
bootylady101:

smh

this girl u wicked oh maybe you're my future wife so I hope you haven't done any of those things you just said.
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by bootylady101(f): 7:56am On Apr 18, 2017
mikeycharles:
this girl u wicked oh maybe you're my future wife so I hope you haven't done any of those things you just said.

Oga, I no be your future wife o, how many girls u Don claim se na your future wife? I would be like 57th.

no let me table your mata infront of baba oooo

1 Like

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by mikeycharles(m): 7:57am On Apr 18, 2017
bootylady101:

Oga, I no be your future wife o, how many girls u Don claim se na your future wife? I would be like 57th.

no let me table your mata infront of baba oooo
hahaha, haba I'm not a player
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by hardbody: 7:58am On Apr 18, 2017
legalifyNg:
(Four Minutes Read)

Sexual Harassment is a silent prevailing workplace menace, whose victims are both male and female.
The female cannot speak out because of the male chauvinistic settings of the society, and also, the male cannot cry for help because of societal expectations.
So both gender suffer in silence, everybody pretend as if it never occurred and life continues. Only that it does occurred!
Dealing with sexual harassment can be both trick and difficult.

1).What is Sexual Harassment
2).How can Business prevent Workplace Sexual Harassment
3). Facing the Music
4). What to do if you are sexually harassed

A) Sexual Harassment

Is an unwanted sexual advances, request for sexual favours; it may be verbal or physical. Sexual Harassment generally creates an intimidating,hostile, offensive and tense workplace atmosphere. It ultimately violates the victim's dignity as a person.

B).Examples of Sexual Harassment
It comes in all shapes and sizes. It might be an innocent or deliberate process such as

i. Making lewd suggestive comments
ii. Touching a woman's bosom or bottom
iii. Unnecessary provocative starring.

Some people are touchy people, who naturally tend to touch people when communicating, this might be a form of sexual Harassment especially when it's unwanted by the victim.

C).How can business prevent it.

Business and workplace can do a lot to curb this menace such as

i. Sensitization of employees through seminars, calendars.t.c
ii. Creating a formal channel to report and deal precisely with such occurrence.
iii. Draw out sexual harassment policy.

D). Facing the music
Dancing to the music, the consequence, for your business might be fatal if not dealt with on time and precisely. Business and reputation go hand in hand
A workplace where sexual harassment thrives reduces the zeal or the urge of the workers to give their best, which results in low productivity.
i). Court Action
A person who sexually harass another may be liable under plethora of relevant laws, such as Lagos State Criminal Code.
ii). Employer’s Vicarious liability
As an employer, in whose employment such sexual harassment thrives without any measure to curb it, you may be vicariously liable.
In the end, it wouldn’t matter whether the employer wins or loose in court, because your business or reputation might just not recover.

E). What to do if you are sexually been harassed

There is no hard and fast rule to this, it ain’t set in stone. The severity of each case of sexual harassment differs
1. Confrontation: Express your displeasure in clear and bold terms. Those who sexually harass others are like bullies, they feed on fear and weaknesses of their victim. They have a nose for it, so you must toughen up, and suffocate your own fears to be a able to consistently stand up to them.
2. Documentation
Seriously, you need to document. whether or not you will pursue a legal action, you still need certain evidence, to report to a higher authority or to prove pattern of sexual harassment to other victims.
3. Report
File an Official complaint, in writing. Don’t make the mistake of complaining to an higher authority orally, people deny even their mother, so denying you never reported wont be hard. Also, get a stamped copy showing it was received by such person’s office for documentation. People naturally tend to take written things more seriously than oral ones.

4. Start writing another C.V
What happens, where the higher Authority that is to be reported to is the one sexually harassing you? You might have to look for job elsewhere or speak with your superman lawyer.

Feel free to drop feedbacks and comments, or contact me with suggestions for topics you’d like to see written about — using our handles.

Follow us on Twitter : @LegalifyNg
Facebook: legalifyNg

www.legalify.ng[/color]

I hope I am seexually harrassed.

I will not report, trust me.

We have all the awareness creation and the penalty is fully provided for in our policies at work, but a few people have the privilege of being harassed. In one instance though, I sat over the case of a guy that was dismissed because a staff from up country branch reported him.

But I honestly, I don't care a hoot. I won't harass but If you try harassing me, we will harass ourselves roundly.

A word of advise though, try not to harass some ladies, they may lead to your early employment termination and they do not care. Economy rough oo

1 Like

Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by BeenieB: 8:15am On Apr 18, 2017
Happened to me, I was let go eventually cry
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by joey150(m): 8:22am On Apr 18, 2017
BeenieB:
Happened to me, I was let go eventually cry

Because you didn't play along?
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by BeenieB: 8:28am On Apr 18, 2017
joey150:

Because you didn't play along?

Yes o, its painful cos the pay was good and the work environment was very relaxed, sigh*
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by joey150(m): 8:30am On Apr 18, 2017
BeenieB:

Yes o, its painful cos the pay was good and the work environment was very relaxed, sigh*

Do You regret that action now??

Like if you could go back...would you still make the same decison?
Re: Workplace Sexual Harrasment by BeenieB: 8:41am On Apr 18, 2017
joey150:

Do You regret that action now??

Like if you could go back...would you still make the same decison?

Honezzly! Sometimes I'm like I could have just played along, what's there,right?

But then again, if something is not in your character, its difficult to play out of character, so no I don't.

Also what I use to console myself is that even if I had played along, I could still have been let go anyway cheesy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Nairalife Of A Mother Of Two Who Is In Between Jobs / Remote Workers: How Do You Cope With Foreign Accents At Work? / Kwara Hotel Staff Shutdown Hotel Due To Unpaid Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.