Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Does This Happen In Every Work Place? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does This Happen In Every Work Place? (6362 Views)

How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / I'm Being Accused Of Theft At My Work Place. / Modern Work Place Vs Old Work Place: Why New Firms Are Taking Over (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by peterdrury: 6:43pm On Apr 18, 2017
Good evening everyone, in my place of work, my colleagues have this habit of been wasteful. I recently gained employment in a bank as a contract staff. My task is to count notes and give it to whoever is in charge to post it(Head teller). In processing this cash, I may need to use a piece of paper to write the cash when it's not up to a pack(100) and also, the use of rubber band is needed too. Here comes the things I find absurd, my colleagues don't care about the rubber band and they will rather tear a new wrapper rather than use previous ones or the ones brought in by customers. When I try to pick these papers and rubber band from the floor to use, they call me a JJC. They said I should not bother, that the bank has money, they will purchase it when we need it.

I totally feel it's wrong, they can't use their own properties the way the use that of the bank.

I wrote this cause I want to know if this is what happens in every work place, do guys engage in this act of not handling company properties efficiently? I hate waste when it involves me directly.

20 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by danielicon(m): 6:54pm On Apr 18, 2017
peterdrury:
Good evening everyone, in my place of work, my colleagues have this habit of been wasteful. I recently gained employment in a bank as a contract staff. My task is to count notes and give it to whoever is in charge to post it(Head teller). In processing this cash, I may need to use a piece of paper to write the cash when it's not up to a pack(100) and also, the use of rubber band is needed too. Here comes the things I find absurd, my colleagues don't care about the rubber band and they will rather tear a new wrapper rather than use previous ones or the ones brought in by customers. When I try to pick these papers and rubber band from the floor to use, they call me a JJC. They said I should not bother, that the bank has money, they will purchase it when we need it.

I totally feel it's wrong, they can't use their own properties the way the use that of the bank.

I wrote this cause I want to know if this is what happens in every work place, do guys engage in this act of not handling company properties efficiently? I hate waste when it involves me directly.

JJC Indeed, you will soon get over it

20 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by peterdrury: 7:26pm On Apr 18, 2017
danielicon:

JJC Indeed, you will soon get over it
Okay,i was not brought up that way.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by umarshehu58(m): 7:33pm On Apr 18, 2017
If Nigerians think the way you think, we woulve progress pass this level. It is good to Handle things like yours.

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Generica(m): 9:07pm On Apr 18, 2017
You're a good man Op. How I wish every Nigerian is like this, our country would have been a blessed place.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by TINALETC3(f): 7:22am On Apr 19, 2017
Do Wat u think is right, 4get abt Wat pple say, u neva cn tell, ur good deeds cn take u 2 places unexpectedly. Gud luck

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by overhypedsteve(m): 7:22am On Apr 19, 2017
lol. wetin concern Agberu with overload.

3 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by lonelydora: 7:23am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

Op, your colleagues have given you a ladder to climb up. Capitalise on it and see yourself above them all. No organisation wants a wasteful person no matter how rich they are.

But I hope you are not a stingy person shaa. grin grin

37 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by nairalandfreak(m): 7:23am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:
Okay,i was not brought up that way.
Thank you for letting him know

2 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Sunnynwa: 7:24am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

Op and Peter Obi are like

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by ChappyChase: 7:24am On Apr 19, 2017
When I try to pick these papers and rubber band from the floor to use, they call me a JJC. They said I should not bother, that the bank has money, they will purchase it when we need it.
Naija mentality!
And thats how we condemned the whole infrastructures we had because we think it's government property.. .... .
Shame!

25 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by TINALETC3(f): 7:24am On Apr 19, 2017
ur head
Am on top of bike, come and push me down tongue
Sunnynwa:

Op and Peter Obi are like

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:
Good evening everyone, in my place of work, my colleagues have this habit of been wasteful...

Keep doing the right thing, even if you're the only one.

Wasteful activity can never be the right thing to do. The good thing about good habits is that they'll carry over into other areas of your life.

Successful people usually don't have 2 heads or some "secret" ability no one else has.

They just stick to the right habits, even it bores other people to tears.

Keep up your frugal habits and apply it to your personal and financial life. You'll stand out among your peers.

GOD bless you

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by soberdrunk(m): 7:25am On Apr 19, 2017
Op is 'Mr No waste", reminds me of one of my uncles that has this same "no waste' mentality, the man is so frugal that it has started affecting him psychologically, how else do you explain a man that has 'borehole' in his house but rations water....... angry

5 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by frubben(m): 7:25am On Apr 19, 2017
Nice one @ op, keep doing wat u are doing, u don't have to move with the crowd. But it's not going to be easy o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by KingLennon(m): 7:25am On Apr 19, 2017
Op i think you are a person who is very reservative. Its very good, but be careful, if your colleagues sees you like 'I too know or too good' they may want to discard you from that section

5 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Nigeriadondie: 7:25am On Apr 19, 2017
Most Nigerians are self centered and believe
if those people wasting office items had their own company u wud see stingy they will become. Even to release mony they will ask series of question about what happened to s previous ones and when they release money na so dem go dey sing song for u to manage

5 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Nobody: 7:26am On Apr 19, 2017
It's in you!!
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by esere826: 7:27am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

Reusing those previous wraps and band might be quite unhygienic you know
Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by cutiedave(m): 7:28am On Apr 19, 2017
Lol...jjc indeed... By d time u see how the bank treat their workers ehn...
When u have to work overtime and not get any penny for it, or when ur boss gives u an impossible task with a very limited time frame... blive me ur pity abi sympathy for the bank would evaporate..

2 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by tabithababy(f): 7:28am On Apr 19, 2017
This op will be a stingy fellow

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by ChappyChase: 7:30am On Apr 19, 2017
tabithababy:
This op will be a stingy fellow
That's being judicious not stingy!

6 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by ZAWs: 7:35am On Apr 19, 2017
Just keep it up.
You just don't know who's taking notice of you.

4 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by bsideboii(m): 7:36am On Apr 19, 2017
We need more of your kind Bro, keep it up.The only thing I like about Indians is their frugality and the way the manage things in general ..reason why they are the preferred kind of expatriates.

1 Like

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Jarus(m): 7:43am On Apr 19, 2017
As much as possible, employees should help employers cut waste. It's a bad habit.

This may be too insignificant in the scheme of things, but you should never be intimidated by the popularity of a bad practice.

And a bonus: don't be surprised your superiors are noticing you. Something that small can make a difference in critical decision making in the future.. Imagine if the bank wants to lay off 3 out of the 5 tellers and the supervisor is asked to recommend the 2 that should be retained. Your prudent tendency can make a difference in the decision making.

10 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by eyinjuege: 7:51am On Apr 19, 2017
Don't the used wraps already have dated stamps of other banks on them? Why would you wanna reuse them?
As per the rubber band, won't they have lost a bit of their elasticity from prior use? Why do you think they use rubber bands to tie bundles of money i.e the purpose ? If it won't serve its purpose effectively, then of what use is your trying to prevent wastage?
Instead of that, think about getting all the used rubber bands for RECYCLING.
So just find our about recycling if you're trying yo be environment friendly

2 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Xzbit91: 7:59am On Apr 19, 2017
This is the kind of mentality that has allowed decay in government facilities.

3 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by coldgate(f): 8:00am On Apr 19, 2017
OP: You will soon understand why you are not encouraged to use other people's wrappers especially from other banks. Let me educate you as someone who has supervised Bank tellers.

1. Low risk/ cash trail: Cash which you have counted and put into fresh wrappers bear your own initials and sometimes ,your personal stamp. Sometimes, cash needs to be traced for various reasons including robberies and fake currencies. If I know from your deposit register that you received deposits from 50 depositors excluding Mr C, then you make my job easier if an issue comes up regarding fakes or serial numbers need to be traced. Please use a fresh wrapper. Do not confuse me by using a wrapper from Jumoke's dustbin!

2. Risk of fraud is minimal when you use a fresh wrapper. You know what you counted and you are accountable. If any shortage occurs, you can't hold anyone else accountable. It is your cash!
When cash gets into the vault at the end of the day, the only thing differentiating the cash that you vaulted in for the day is YOUR wrapper bearing your signature and stamp. And, guess what? If any customer complains that he/she was short paid you are covered if you have used a fresh wrapper and he/she presents a different wrapper.

You do not want to know what happens when you have used Jumoke's wrapper and put your own initials or stamp because you wanted to save the Bank some few #. Banking is not done that way. It should be transparent. Those cash wrappers have definite uses.

3. Wrapper from another Bank into the Vault? Anyway, by now you would have known the consequences of such.

My advice? Take your time to learn the policies of your Bank regarding cash handling. You cannot be wiser than your cash manager/internal control. Tellers are languishing in maximum prisons for honest mistakes.

14 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by Ikwokrikwo: 8:00am On Apr 19, 2017
soberdrunk:
Op is 'Mr No waste", reminds me of one of my uncles that has this same "no waste' mentality, the man is so frugal that it has started affecting him psychologically, how else do you explain a man that has 'borehole' in his house but rations water....... angry
Don't they use generator and fuel in pumping the water sometimes?

2 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by sisisioge: 8:07am On Apr 19, 2017
Wow! Good one. I thought I was the only one that feel same. Back then while I was serving with one of the Cement manufacturing org, I used to pity the coy with the way some people handle stationery. However, I learnt to just do my part and hope the little I've done saves the coy a bit. I enjoin you to do same...you won't only be saving the coy some stipends, you are training yourself to be a better human. Well done.

3 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by 9free(m): 8:10am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

If this waste it mentality runs in the private sector like banks, I wonder what is obtainable in the Civil Service.
Shame indeed!

5 Likes

Re: Does This Happen In Every Work Place? by ratio4real(m): 8:11am On Apr 19, 2017
peterdrury:

U will realize that these set of people can not handle their own business efficiently.... because there is a saying where I come from that it's d way u handle people's properties, is d same way u gonna handle yours..... Op u are a good guy keep in up, don't let dem detract you.....!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get Photoshop Video Tutorial 2018 Learn How To Use Photoshop For FREE / My Boss Wants To Have Me In Her Office Or Sack! / Do All Lawyers Actually Lie?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.