Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,305 members, 7,850,090 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:13 PM

Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? (9554 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Spyker: 12:22pm On Jan 08, 2010
Well, in the old days, it wasn't called bride price rather what used to be the case was that parents of girl will purchase gift items for the girl to go with to her husbands house. However, this practice was changed and hijacked by greed hence men started paying bride price.

Since it is now a modern day practice, men now feel that they are purchasing the girl if for any reason he was over charge or exploited all the name of paying for a girl. This is one of the reasons why men don't respect women.
But for me, if you want to exploit me, for get ooh.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by MUNEER2(m): 12:31pm On Jan 08, 2010
Funny topic grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by slap1(m): 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2010
Can't borrow 2 pay a brideprice. If d money is too much i either pay up, collect my invoice & have nothing 2 do wit my in(out)laws financially, or i wait till d lady gets to around thirthy years plus, then her family will Nicodemusly(like a thief in the night) bring me d money 4 her bride price.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Escokajan(m): 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2010
Na dash dey dash u during ur time?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by slap1(m): 12:38pm On Jan 08, 2010
Poverty is not my portion!
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by XKZ(m): 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2010
Spyker:

Well, in the old days, it wasn't called bride price rather what used to be the case was that parents of girl will purchase gift items for the girl to go with to her husbands house. However, this practice was changed and hijacked by greed hence men started paying bride price.

What you talking about is a dowry and is different from "bride-price". And in cultures where it is practiced (ie dowry) it can be as painful as the bride-price. They sometimes exist side by side.
Ladies may remain unmarried because their parents can not afford a respectable dowry that will attract appropriate suitors.
That's why among the Indian's giving birth to (too many) daughters is such a big deal.

"Families use dowries to attract a son-in-law with desirable qualities, such as a particularly bright man from a poor but respectable family or a man with higher status but with less money than the bride’s family has. In societies in which the giving of dowries is customary, families with many daughters can become impoverished by the costs of marriage.
For this reason, in Europe in earlier times some families sent “extra” daughters to convents. In India and China, where it is expected that every woman will marry, families have sometimes tried to limit the number of daughters born to them through infanticide (the killing of infants).
In India, feminists have organized opposition to the dowry system and subsequent “dowry deaths,” where continuing demands of the groom’s family are not met and result in the murder of the bride."
Microsoft ® Encarta ® 2008. © 1993-2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Theblessed(f): 2:01pm On Jan 08, 2010
Hmmmm! Bride price A terrible mistake in our culture - should  have been abandoned by now but, poverty is the pain!
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Ajike: 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2010
I think the yorubas dont collect it again. what they do is that they will collect as part of the traditon and in the presence of everybody there they will give it back to the grooms family and tell them that they dont sell their daughter. though they collect other ones like owo omo ile, iya ile and co but is pea nut like 500, 1000 and d case may be.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by infobut(m): 2:11pm On Jan 08, 2010
If she know how much she go fit afford to pay her people make she pay me no dey pay anything ,maybe latter she will take it one way or the other.I don't like the feeling of having to pay for my wife .sucks. angry
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by shinnok454: 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2010
There's notin 2 much, if da bride worth da money, fine. Bt beauty, kindnss n promise kippin counts.

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by shinnok454: 2:26pm On Jan 08, 2010
Now adays, sum brides pay da brides price n make ppl tot it was d groom dat paid. tongue

Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sayso: 2:32pm On Jan 08, 2010
wetin that bride dey chop abi na saliva?
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Eaglebabe: 3:07pm On Jan 08, 2010
If you love ur wife no amount of money is too much to pay,to have her.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Abekeade08(f): 3:22pm On Jan 08, 2010
My father has stated that anyone who wants to marry his daughters must be ready to hand over N10 milla. lol

From my own point though, I don't really care about bride price.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Abekeade08(f): 3:30pm On Jan 08, 2010
Yes it is true, and those that beats their wives mercilessly because they've paid the bride price, and they guy would still remain there, because the family had sold her

@ Bandley

My brothers and father who are yoruba have never beaten thier wives. Wife beating is not specific to any tribe, abeg ooh, don't tag yoruba man as wife beaters.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by madamL(f): 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2010
Anything above ten million naira is too much.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by yemmight(m): 6:13pm On Jan 08, 2010
My friend is paying 1.1m for an Igbo girl because shes a graduate. The guy is really facing a lot of nightmares on this. The lady said she will 250k for the guy. Honestly thats crazy angry
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by obstead200(m): 8:18pm On Jan 08, 2010
I think it all Depends on , u know

If you have eaten the better part of the suya between her legs, then I think u are in a position to do a very hard bargain and get the balance of the suya for next to nothing. The same goes for if u have already loaded ur operating system into the computer.

but on the other hand, if she has clamped her legs shut and insisted that you must pay before u taste, or u must buy the computer before u upload anything, then I'm sorry for u. Ur curiousity as to how the thing go taste can make u pay with a human head, if need be.

My only prayer for u is that ur merchandise be worth the price u paid. U know, some vehicles were simply refurbished even when the engines are long dead.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by edesco: 9:49pm On Jan 08, 2010
well my friend picked a bride from the calabar region but dropped the girl cos the asking price from the parents was too much a investment.
the father demanded for 600k and the mother 400k plus other material tins. my bros just say abeg make i go invest my money instead of using marry one girl wen i go fit get a lower one elsewhere.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Ndipe(m): 10:34pm On Jan 08, 2010
While I was against it initially, I think I support it, because bride price cements the leadership role of the man in the family. But the guy who got away with 5k is extremely fortunate. In parts of Ibo culture, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. How much is too much? As long as it does not bankrupt you.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by 0hsisi: 10:47pm On Jan 08, 2010
Ndipe:

While I was against it initially, I think I support it, because bride price cements the leadership role of the man in the family. But the guy who got away with 5k is extremely fortunate. In parts of Ibo culture, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. How much is too much? As long as it does not bankrupt you.

It's not just Igbos and certainly not all Igbos
Cross River,Akwa Ibom and Rivers state areas also have high bridal demands some worse that certain areas of Igboland.
It varies from place to place and in my opinion,if a man can't afford it,please let him go marry some cheaper girls grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:52am On Jan 09, 2010
I've already challenged people to go and find out the traditional name of bride price. My challenge still stands. . . what is/are the traditional name[s] for bride price? Know the culture you speak of first before you speak of it.

I will continually and steadfastly hold that nothing is wrong with the practice. The only thing that is wrong is the people who [ab]use it.

Lastly, there is no such thing as too much bride price because various factors play a role in determining bride price. So, what applies to one does not necessarily apply to all.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by 0hsisi: 12:56am On Jan 09, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I've already challenged people to go and find out the traditional name of bride price. My challenge still stands. . . what is/are the traditional name[s] for bride price? Know the culture you speak of first before you speak of it.

I will continually and steadfastly hold that nothing is wrong with the practice. The only thing that is wrong is the people who [ab]use it.

Lastly, there is no such thing as too much bride price because various factors play a role in determining bride price. So, what applies to one does not necessarily apply to all.

Gbam!
every suitor is "charged" according to his abilities
If my suitor cannot buy ordinary George wrappers,a few yams and stella pomade
what will I be doing with such a fellow?
he should prove his manhood? grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by ssumpta(f): 1:14am On Jan 09, 2010
pls pple dont generalise. I'm Igbo and we don't demand high amounts as bride price.

Its only very greedy in-laws dat go against the spirit of the tradition by demanding ridiculous amounts. Its just a 'token' of respect given to the kinsmen of a woman. ur not buying her.

And if u dnt have a lot of money, u can just buy them shacks and palm wine (my pple love palmy well well). and dats ok. Guys don't be afraid. some stories are exaggerated.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by isalegan2: 1:27am On Jan 09, 2010
2 years' salary. I just made it up.

Similar to the 2 months' salary for engagement rings. grin

I kid I jest.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by sulad82i(m): 7:17am On Jan 09, 2010
I guess if u guys out there want to marry for FREE, come and get someone within my extended family cos we dont take bride price (SALES PRICE). Its believe in my family that getting bride price is selling out out right and daughter. Pls dont ask if I have a sister cos some lucky guy have her already tongue
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by otokx(m): 9:51am On Jan 09, 2010
There are a lot of useless traditions in Nigeria but some of us are determined to change it all. No point borrowing money to engage in frivolous marriage ceremonies and at the end of the day you are paying back with much hardship.
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by ochukoccna: 11:10am On Jan 09, 2010
deluxcad:

Heard dat some Yoruba babes misbehave and threaten to pack home owing to d fact dat not much was paid as bride price for them. How true?
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
[size=18pt]I don't know where you got your info from but from my interaction with Yoruba marriage rites, the family of the wife accepts all gifts the husband brings but the bride price is returned back to the husband's family @ the marriage occasion by the girl's father [or the person standing in lieu for him] with the father saying he isn't selling his daughter. Don't believe falsehood.[/size]
tongue  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by ochukoccna: 11:14am On Jan 09, 2010
deluxcad:

Heard dat some Yoruba babes misbehave and[b] threaten to pack home[/b] owing to d fact dat not much was paid as bride price for them. How true?
That na foolish woman. That's one foolish thing Yoruba women tend to do, pack back to your papa house because of marital differences angry angry angry angry Utter rubbish! Anyway, na hin papa allow am back 'home'. [size=14pt]Person whey dem suppose flog the daylights out of.[/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin
After e chop better 'bulala' in papa no go tell am b4 she reloc8 back to her senses and her husbands house to face what life holds for them both. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by ochukoccna: 11:57am On Jan 09, 2010
otokx:

There are a lot of useless traditions in Nigeria but some of us are determined to change it all. No point borrowing money to engage in frivolous marriage ceremonies and at the end of the day you are paying back with much hardship.
Too many mumu persons! grin grin grin grin
But they love it so! embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Never the less, the boundaries of foolishness many willingly cross in the name of proving love to their spouses is bewildering. Most of the stuff they lavishly purchase are consumed by people they've never met ,will never meet ,have no regard for them and are of no benefit to their future as husband and wife. What of the money Africans burn when doing burials? I'm not against ceremonies but let all things be done decently and in order seeing it not according to what a man has not but according to what he has. Burrowing [and in excess@ that] to satisfy other people's lusts reminds me of a robber who confessed to been in his trade so as to satisfy his girlfriend! The girl was probably bedding another man the 1st night his heels entered jail. Pure Bunkum but as I said, you [9ja people] like it so! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Bride Price, How Much Is Too Much? by Thespecialone(m): 1:03pm On Jan 09, 2010
Where I come from, bride price is not more than a few hundred naira, kola nuts, palm wine, e don finish.

but it's well known that in the east, bride price na die. The money U fit use am take start business.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Abiriiba And Ogori Virginity Dance (viewers Discretion Is Advised) / Where Did The Colonial Masters Get The Name Nigeria From ? / Your Most Cherished Nigerian Culture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.