Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,945 members, 7,814,200 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car (3611 Views)

Last Moment Of Chika Ernest, The Pilot Of Helicopter That Crashed In Lagos / Meet Arthur Nwabufo, First Nigerian To Reach Antarctica With The Russian Fleet / This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 7:53pm On Apr 20, 2017
Sir Ernest Shackleton’s great-grandson becomes the first person to cross Antarctica in a family car after recreating the legendary British explorer's 3,500-mile trek 100 years later.

His great-grandfather was one of Britain's most famous explorers, and now Patrick Bergel has now entered the history books himself with a daring expedition.

The great-grandson of Sir Ernest Shackleton has become the first person to travel across Antarctica in a family car, battling snowstorms, merciless terrain and temperatures which plunged as low as minus 28C.

Bergel, 46, travelled more than 3,500 miles through the snow to commemorate Shackleton's heroic Transatlantic expedition of 1914 to 1917.

Bergel was part of a small team which spent December driving for 20 hours a day.

Details of the adventure have only been revealed today.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/793905/Sir-Ernest-Shackleton-grandson-Antarctica-family-car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4426094/Ernest-Shackleton-descendant-completes-Antarctica-mission.html
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by obafemee80(m): 7:56pm On Apr 20, 2017
What an amazing feat.
Too much of adrenaline grin
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by femolacqua(m): 7:57pm On Apr 20, 2017
Wow
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2017
The London-based tech entrepreneur drove a near-standard Hyundai Santa Fe for 30 days in a challenging endeavour which saw him hallucinating in the snow.

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:00pm On Apr 20, 2017
The vehicle moved at an average of 16mph during the mission, but at times reached speeds as high as 60mph.

'On relatively flat ground you just go down to 5-10km/h and try to follow the path in front of you.

'But generally, because there's no visual stimulusand your body's connected to the vehicle, your brain's not being fed enough information so it goes a bit haywire.

You also start to make up things.

'It's normal to start hallucinating, seeing trees and forests around you, but it's just dirt on the windscreen.

In one area, we had to rope up the vehicles to make sure if one fell in it could be recovered by the others.

We had one scary moment there but we managed to get through okay.

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:01pm On Apr 20, 2017
Patrick Bergel was among the team which became the first to travel Antarctica in a wheeled passenger vehicle.

They followed in the footsteps of Sir Ernest Shackleton, one of Britain's most famous ever explorers and Bergel's great-grandfather.

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by sisisioge: 8:02pm On Apr 20, 2017
wowzerful! So na from his great grandpa's head the crazzze start...it is well o.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by tk4rd: 8:05pm On Apr 20, 2017
Cool... Am gonna be the first to do something..
REAL SOON.

1 Like

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 20, 2017
I thought I saw Earnest Shonekangrin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:07pm On Apr 20, 2017
The car he used for the expedition was a 'pretty standard' Hyundai Santa Fe, which used the factory-spec 2.2-litre diesel engine, gearbox, front differential and driveshaft.

Engineers had to fit the car with special tyres which run on one-tenth of the normal road tyre pressure so they could get on top of the snow rather than plough through it.

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by obafemee80(m): 8:08pm On Apr 20, 2017
khalifahsparkles:
You are right bro..
Just checked again and saw Ernest Shackleton...
Op did you edit the name grin
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 20, 2017
Explore!
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:12pm On Apr 20, 2017
Team members drove for more than 20 hours each day in the gruelling endurance test on the Antarctic in December.

Travelled more than 3,500 miles through the snow to commemorate Shackleton's heroic Transatlantic expedition of 1914 to 1917.

Group members said no one expected them to achieve the impressive feat before they set off in December.

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 20, 2017
obafemee80:
You are right bro.. Just checked again and saw Ernest Shackleton... Op did you edit the name grin

I guess it was our eyes playing games on usgrin
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by hahn(m): 8:22pm On Apr 20, 2017
More like an ad for Hyundai

undecided

1 Like

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:24pm On Apr 20, 2017
Bergel described reaching the South Pole as a 'special moment' after the historic expedition.

He said: 'I'm not a polar explorer.

I'm an indoor guy.

This was a proper expedition with a challenge to accomplish that nobody else had done before.

'The driving experience is quite incredible.

There are degrees of whiteout where you can't see three feet, or you can't see ten feet in front of you, but that's not necessarily a problem depending on what your terrain is.

'That was the point at which nobody in a wheeledvehicle had been beyond.

Getting to the South Pole was a special moment.

The fact that this was a place my great-grandfather tried to get to more than once and I was there, it felt like a genuine connection.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:30pm On Apr 20, 2017
Ernest Shackleton, the son of a doctor, joined the merchant navy at the age of 16.

His first visit to the Antarctic came in 1901, when he joined an expedition led by Robert Falcon Scott.

He got closer to the Pole than anyone had before, but was forced to return home after becoming seriously ill.

Seven years later he headed back to the Antarctic as leader of an expedition on the ship Nimrod.

His team got closer still to the Pole, and made a number of key scientific discoveries.

He was knighted on his return to Britain.

In 1911 he lost the race to be first to reach the South Pole, as Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen achieved the astonishing feat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by LAFO: 8:50pm On Apr 20, 2017
khalifahsparkles:
Up till the time I saw your post I was still looking for Ernest Shonekan's grandchild grin
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 20, 2017
LAFO:

Up till the time I saw your post I was still loiking for Ernest Shonekan's grandhild grin

Ahahaha
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by ichommy(m): 9:17pm On Apr 20, 2017
Signing In wink
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Gosj01(m): 12:14am On Apr 21, 2017
following
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by enoqueen: 4:17am On Apr 21, 2017
Explorers, now I know were u got ur name from.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:38am On Apr 21, 2017
enoqueen:
Explorers, now I know were u got ur name from.

Lols....Long time sis.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by MrBONE2(m): 9:14am On Apr 21, 2017
Explorers:
Ernest Shackleton, the son of a doctor, joined the merchant navy at the age of 16.

His first visit to the Antarctic came in 1901, when he joined an expedition led by Robert Falcon Scott.

He got closer to the Pole than anyone had before, but was forced to return home after becoming seriously ill.

Seven years later he headed back to the Antarctic as leader of an expedition on the ship Nimrod.

His team got closer still to the Pole, and made a number of key scientific discoveries.

He was knighted on his return to Britain.

In 1911 he lost the race to be first to reach the South Pole, as Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen achieved the astonishing feat.
Pls Explorer is Antarctica colder than North Artic part of GreenLand and Saberia forest of Russia.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 9:29am On Apr 21, 2017
MrBONE2:
Pls Explorer is Antarctica colder than North Artic part of GreenLand and Saberia forest of Russia.

Antarctica's eastern highland is the the coldest point on the planet at -136°F (-93°C) followed by -128.6°F (-89.2°C), measured at the Vostok weather station in a nearby location.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131210-coldest-place-on-earth-antarctica-science/

Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by MrBONE2(m): 11:09am On Apr 21, 2017
Explorers:

Antarctica's eastern highland is the the coldest point on the planet at -136°F (-93°C) followed by -128.6°F (-89.2°C), measured at the Vostok weather station in a nearby location.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131210-coldest-place-on-earth-antarctica-science/
My God !Such low temperature can freeze any human in less 3mins.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Nobody: 12:35pm On Apr 21, 2017
wow explorer again!!!!!!
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by UgojiC(m): 4:24pm On Apr 21, 2017
Good stuff Explorer. Very informative
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Emmyk(m): 7:56pm On Apr 21, 2017
Where are the other cars they went with?
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by Explorers(m): 8:35pm On Apr 21, 2017
Emmyk:
Where are the other cars they went with?

Check 14th&15th picture very.

Check the source too.
Re: Sir Ernest Shackleton's Grandson Becomes 1st Person To Cross Antarctica In A Car by bayocanny: 10:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
**okada oya park** Na the place be this. Its Explorers the wicked thread producer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Airport 6 Months After Commissioning: Heavy Rainfalls Blows Open / Do You REALLY Know America? / Botswana:From 2nd Poorest Country To Fastest Growing Economy In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.