Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,706 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' (699 Views)

Gunman Open Fire In Texas Walmart, Killed Over 20 (Pics) / Young Manager Who Lost Her Life While Saving Colleagues In Kenya Terror Attack / Terror Attack Hits London Again (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by cristianisraeli: 1:00am On Apr 21, 2017
One policeman has been shot dead and two others wounded in central Paris, French police say, with their suspected attacker killed by security forces.
A lone gunman opened fire before being killed as he fled the scene, police say. The Champs-Elysees was sealed off.
President Francois Hollande said that he was convinced the attack was "terrorist-related".
So-called Islamic State (IS) said that one of its "fighters" had carried out the attack.
Islamist militancy is a major issue in the polls after recent mass attacks claimed by IS, with 238 people killed in jihadist attacks in France since 2015, according to data from AFP news agency.
Several candidates in Sunday's presidential election have ended their campaigns early as a mark of respect, with the centre-right's François Fillon calling on others to halt theirs too.
"On the face of it, the officers were deliberately targeted," Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said.

Mr Hollande said after crisis talks with his prime minister and interior minister that the security forces had the full support of the nation and a national tribute would be paid to the fallen policeman.
He said he would hold a meeting of his security cabinet on Friday morning.
Because of its worldwide renown and its large number of visitors, the Champs-Elysees has long been seen as a potential target, the BBC's Hugh Schofield reports from the French capital.

A car pulled up alongside a police bus just before 21:00 (19:00 GMT) and a man got out, opening fire with an automatic weapon at the bus, Mr Brandet said.
After killing an officer, he attempted to run away while shooting at other officers, two of whom he injured, the spokesman added.
He was then shot dead by security forces.
Paris prosecutor Francois Molins later said that "the attacker's identity is known and has been verified".
"I won't reveal it, because investigations and raids are already under way, in particular to establish whether there is any evidence or not of complicity (in this attack)."
Meanwhile, IS identified the attacker as Abu-Yusuf al-Baljiki, in a statement carried by its Amaq news outlet.

The whole of the Champs-Elysees was evacuated and police vehicles were lined up near a point half way up the avenue around the George V metro station, our correspondent says.
Shots were heard near the Marks & Spencer store, provoking a panicked rush away from the scene by tourists and passers-by.
Witnesses interviewed by AFP recounted scenes of panic as people ran for cover and sought shelter.
"We had to hide our customers in the basement," said Choukri Chouanine, manager of a restaurant near the site of the shooting.
Thousands of troops and police guard tourist areas of the French capital. In February, a man armed with a machete in each hand was wounded after attacking soldiers on patrol at the Louvre Museum.
The following month, a 39-year-old man was killed at Orly airport after attacking a soldier.
Campaigns called off
The 11 candidates standing in Sunday's closely fought election were engaged in a final joint TV appearance to make their pitches as the attack happened.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39662315

ISIS have claimed responsibility

Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by cristianisraeli: 1:04am On Apr 21, 2017
Forensics search a car thought to have been driven by the attacker
Emergency services guard the Arc De Triomph
The officers were gunned down at around 9pm local time
A police van at the scene in Paris, where a policeman has been shot

Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by Nobody: 3:06am On Apr 21, 2017
Na WA with these terrorist sef
Let France leave the middle east alone
Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by juman(m): 6:17am On Apr 21, 2017
Terrorism is everywhere in todays world.
The world leaders are mismanaging the world peace.

One has to be attentive every time and everywhere, because terrorism might strike at anytime.
Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by juman(m): 6:19am On Apr 21, 2017
Terrorism in nigeria is caused by bad leadership.

The evil apc government is also a senseless government.
Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 21, 2017
George N. Wells Dover, NJ
The knee-jerk populist response to acts of terrorism, or suspected terrorism, plays right into the hands of the terrorists. To convince the Moslems living outside the Islamic states that all non-Moslems hate Moslems the act gets the population to fall onto the local Moslem population with full force, blaming every Moslem for the act of the few. Restrictive laws, harsh rhetoric, and all the other responses only serve the need of the leaders of terrorist movements. The local population begins to feel hated and aligns more with the terrorist movement.

I remember an interview with a young French woman following the previous attack in Paris, she said something important: "We have to love them more now." She was, and is, correct. Most Moslems aren't terrorists, neither do they hate non-Moslems. They are just people trying to have a decent life. Love defeats the terrorist agenda. Responding with more hatred only puts you on the downward spiral of tit-for-tat revenge.

And, for those Christians I have offended: "Love your enemies and those who hate you..."

1 Like

Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by cristianisraeli: 11:47pm On Apr 21, 2017
I remember an interview with a young French woman following the previous attack in Paris, she said something important: "We have to love them more now." She was, and is, correct. Most Moslems aren't terrorists, neither do they hate non-Moslems. They are just people trying to have a decent life. Love defeats the terrorist agenda. Responding with more hatred only puts you on the downward spiral of tit-for-tat revenge.

its the same political correctness that got them in the same situation they are in today...paris is no longer a city of love,we all know they are good muslims..but the good ones would never speak out because they are scared of the bad ones,if you dare speak they hunt you down and kill you

Persecution of Christians under Islamic rule

At the time of the Arab Islamic conquest of the mid 7th century AD the populations of Mesopotamia and Assyria (modern Iraq, north east Syria, south east Turkey and Kuwait), Syria, Phoenicia (modern Lebanon and coastal Syria), Egypt, Jordan, North Africa (modern Sudan, Tunisia, Morocco, Libya and Algeria), Asia Minor (modern Turkey) and Armenia were predominantly Christian and non-Arab.

[b]As People of the Book Christians were given dhimmi status (along with Jews, Samaritans, Gnostics and Mandeans), which was inferior to the status of Muslims. Christians thus faced Religious discrimination and Religious persecution in that they were banned from proselytising (spreading or promoting Christianity) in lands conquered by the Muslims on pain of death, they were banned from bearing arms and undertaking certain professions. Under sharia, non-Muslims were obligated to pay jizya and al-kharaj taxes, together with periodic heavy ransoms levied upon Christian communities by Muslim rulers in order to fund military campaigns, all of which contributed a significant proportion of income to the Islamic states while conversely reducing many Christians to poverty, and these financial and social hardships forced many Christians to convert to Islam. Christians unable to pay these taxes were forced to surrender their children to the Muslim rulers as payment who would sell them as slaves to Muslim households where they were forced into Islam. [/b]

According to the Hanafi school of Sharia, the testimony of a non-Muslim (such as a Christian) was not considered valid against the testimony of a Muslim in legal or civil matters. Christian men were not allowed to marry a Muslim woman under sharia. Muslim men on the other hand were allowed to marry Christian women who were then expected to convert to Islam. Christians under Islamic rule had the right to convert to Islam or any other religion, while a conversely a murtad, or apostate of Islam, faced severe penalties or even hadd, which could include the death penalty. In general, Christians subject to Islamic rule were allowed to practice their religion with some notable limitations stemming from the Pact of Umar. This treaty, enacted in 717 AD, forbade Christians from publicly displaying the cross on church buildings, summoning congregants to prayer with a bell, re-building or repairing churches and monasteries after they were destroyed or damaged, and imposed other restrictions relating to occupations, clothing and weapons.

Native Christian communities are subject to persecution in several Muslim-majority countries such as Egypt. Pakistan,

The Massacres of Badr Khan were conducted by Kurdish and Ottoman forces against the Assyrian Christian population of the Ottoman Empire between 1843 and 1847, resulting in the slaughter of more than 10,000 indigenous Assyrian civilians of the Hakkari region, with many thousands more sold into slavery

i can go on and on so everything thats happening didnt start today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUe4SbpN5-E&t=27s
Re: Policeman And Suspected Gunman Shot Dead In Paris 'terror Attack' by cristianisraeli: 11:56pm On Apr 21, 2017
'I'm considered fake because I would die for Australia': Imam slams extremists who claim he's a fraud for following Australian law over Sharia and not wanting a Muslim state

Muslim leader slams extremist Islam for claiming he is a religious fraud
Imam Tawhidi said he was labelled a 'fake' Shaikh for fighting extremism
'I am considered a fake because I would die for Australia,' he has said
Imam Tawhidi fears radicals want to set up a Muslim state within Australia

A Muslim leader has slammed extremists who claim he is a fraud for following Australian law over Sharia and not wanting to form an independent Muslim state.
Imam Shaikh Mohammad Tawhidi, who has openly spoken out against ISIS and extremists, confronted members of the Islamic community in a video shared online on Friday.
Imam Tawhidi said he was labelled a 'fake' Shaikh because he prioritised Australian law over Sharia law.

I am considered a fake because I would die for Australia. I am considered a fake because I live by the Australian constitution,' he said.

In the four minute-long video, Imam Tawhidi listed various reasons for why he had been called 'a fake' by members of the Muslim community in Australia.
'They have called me a fake Muslim Imam or a Shaikh only because I expose their intentions to create a caliphate within Australia,' he said.
'I am considered a fake because I condemn terrorism. I am considered a fake because I oppose and expose extremism.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4371064/Muslim-leader-Imam-Shaikh-Mohammad-Tawhidi-called-fake.html

(1) (Reply)

. / We Do Not Cover Our Women 's Faces In Africa / France Rejects Catalan Independence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.