Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,165 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Visit Ethiopia - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visit Ethiopia (8603 Views)

No Bodies Recovered From Ethiopia Airlines Crash Site / Professor Pius Adesanmi Dies In Ethiopia Airlines Plane Crash - John O. Oba / Some Of The Main Reasons Why You Should Definitely Visit Ethiopia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 22, 2017
Most people don't know that Ethiopia is one of the most beautiful place on Earth. There is true beauty and uniqueness in my country.

Ethiopia has 12 UNESCO heritage sites, which is the highest number in any Africa country. Some sites are awaiting to be registered.

First, let's take a look the UNESCO heritage sites.

The 11 Monolithic Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela

The churches were built from a single rock being chiseled from 7th to early 13th century AD during the Aksumite and Zagwe periods. Some of the churches that were built during the reign of King Lalibela of Zagwe was intended to create a New Jerusalem, so that Ethiopian Christians can easily pilgrimage there instead of the long and hostile trip to Muslim controlled Israel.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visit Ethiopia by GloriaNinja(f): 12:56pm On Apr 22, 2017
ETHIOPIA IS A POOR COUNTRY.

6 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2017
Aksum Obelisks

The Obelisks were built in 4th century AD during the Aksumite empire. Some of them still stand to this day, while others are fallen down. The largest is 33 meters long, it's fallen and broken. The second largest is 25 meters high (it was taken to Rome in 1937 by fascist Italy, but it was returned back to Ethiopia recently). The third largest Obelisk, which stands up in Aksum, is 24 meters high. There are also others.

3 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 22, 2017
Fasil Ghebbi

It's the remains of a fortress-city within Gondar city. "Ghebbi" is an Amharic word and mean compound or enclosure. It was founded in the 17th century AD by Emperor Fasilides and was the home of Ethiopia's emperors from 1636 to 1855 AD. Its unique architecture shows diverse influences including Nubian styles. The enclosure contains castles, palaces, halls, stables, chancellery, liberty and churches that were built by different Emperors and Empress in the 17th and 18th century. The most famous one is Emperor Fasiledes castle.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 1:59pm On Apr 22, 2017
Simien Mountains National Park

The park contains unique and breathtaking mountains, cliffs and water falls. It's home to many animals, birds and plants. Some of the animals are only in Ethiopian like Gelada Baboon and Walia Ibex. There are also other endemic birds and plants in the park. The most breathtaking experience in the park are not the animals or the birds, but the mountains. The view of the landscapes is simply breathtaking. Ras Dagen/Dashen, which is Ethiopia largest mountain with 4,865 meters high above sea level is found in this park. By the way, more than 70% of Africa mountains are found only in Ethiopia.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Pamelayoung: 2:07pm On Apr 22, 2017
So do you want to take us there
Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 22, 2017
Hati13:
4. Simien National Park

The park is found in northern Ethiopia, Amhara region. In the park, there are many animals, birds and plants. Some of the animals are endemic only in Ethiopian. For example, Gelada Baboon, red Fox, Waleya, Niyala and others. There are also many endemic birds and plants. The most breathtaking experience in the park are not the animals or the birds, but the mountains. The view and the weather is simply out of this world. Ethiopia largest mountain with 4,865 meters high is found in this park. 70% of all mountains are found in Ethiopia.
70% of mountains in Africa or in the world? shocked
Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 22, 2017
Tiya Stelae

They are 118 large stone pillars, many of which bear some form of decoration. They were built in ancient times. The menhir or stelae, "32 of which are engraved with enigmatic symbols, notably swords," mark a large, prehistoric burial complex.

1 Like

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 3:57pm On Apr 22, 2017
GloriaNinja:
What does the title say? Did it say Ethiopia is a rich country?

Don't try to act that your people are rich and all Ethiopians are poor!

12 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 22, 2017
Pamelayoung:
So do you want to take us there
No, I don't have the financial capabilities to take anyone there. Just take it as a potential tourism destination for you now or in the future.

3 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 22, 2017
Muafrika2:

70% of mountains in Africa or in the world? shocked
Africa
Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2017
Hati13:

Africa
Cool,
Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:26pm On Apr 22, 2017
Harar Jugol Wall

It's the fortified wall that surround the historic Muslim city of Harar. It was built between the 13th and 16th centuries AD. The city is said to be the fourth holiest city of Islam, numbers 82 mosques, three of which date from the 10th century AD, and 102 shrines, but the townhouses with their exceptional interior design constitute the most spectacular part of Harar's cultural heritage. The impact of African and Islamic traditions on the development of the town's building types and urban layout make for its particular character and uniqueness.

1 Like

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 22, 2017
Lower valley of Awash

The valley contains one of the most important groupings of palaeontological sites on the African continent. The remains found at the site, the oldest of which date back at least 4 million years, provide evidence of human evolution which has modified our conception of the history of humankind. The most spectacular discovery came in 1974, when 52 fragments of a skeleton enabled the famous Lucy to be reconstructed.

Some of the inhabitants and Lucy(last).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 22, 2017
Lower valley of Omo

A prehistoric site near Lake Turkana, the lower valley of the Omo is renowned the world over. The discovery of many fossils there, especially Homo gracilis, has been of fundamental importance in the study of human evolution.

2 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 22, 2017
Konso Cultural Landscape

It's a 55km square arid property of stone walled terraces and fortified settlements in the Konso highlands of Ethiopia. It constitutes a spectacular example of a living cultural tradition stretching back 21 generations(more than 400 years) adapted to its dry hostile environment. The landscape demonstrates the shared values, social cohesion and engineering knowledge of its communities. The site also features anthropomorphic wooden statues grouped to represent respected members of their communities and particularly heroic events which are an exceptional living testimony to funerary traditions that are on the verge of disappearing. Stone steles in the towns express a complex system of marking the passing of generations of leaders.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2017
There are also other non-UNESCO heritage sites which are beautiful and interesting. Some of them are:-
- Bale Mountains National Park
- Dirre Sheik Hussein Religious, Cultural and Historical Site
- Holqa Sof Omar
- Gedeo Mixed Cultural and Natural Landscape
- Melka Kunture and Bachilt Archaeological Site
- Danakil Depression in Afar region

I will post info and photos for Bale Mountains National Park, Sof Omer cave and Danakil Depression respectively.

Bale Mountains National Park

The park contains different beautiful landscapes and is home to many animals, birds and plants. It has been rated as the 4th birding sit in Africa. Some of the animals are only found in Ethiopia like Red Fox (Ethiopian Wolf), Mountain Nyala, Bale monkey, Giant mole Rat and Painted hunting Dog.

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 22, 2017
Holqa Sof Omer cave

It's the longest cave in Africa. It's system is one of the most spectacular and extensive underground caverns in the world. It was formed by the Weib River as it changed its course in the distant past and carved a new channel through limestone foothills. The cave system is an extraordinary natural phenomenon of breathtaking beauty.

3 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by abduldope(m): 7:04pm On Apr 22, 2017
GloriaNinja:
yea they are poor but rich in culture

who even ask you sef

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 22, 2017
Danakil Depression

If you are truly a top class adventurer, there is no better place on Earth to tour than Danaki depression. It's the hottest place on Earth. It's also the second lowest place on Earth. This depression is home to one of the few remaining active volcano on Earth, named Erta Ale.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 22, 2017
By visiting Ethiopia, you not only going to have an amazing experience, but you also going to help the economy. The price is lower than most African countries.

Ethiopia is not like what you see on TV or internet. Most say, there is worse famine, drought, racism. But it's not like it's exaggerated. Most people who came here with that mentality, had fallen in love with Ethiopia, when they left the country.

I don't believe in God, but their is a reason why the Bible say that "The Garden of Eden" is found in Ethiopia.

I would also like if others show their country beauty in detail. smiley

1 Like

Re: Visit Ethiopia by symbianDON(m): 8:13pm On Apr 22, 2017
I had the opportunity of visiting addis ababa in 2012 and it was a pleasant experience. I stayed at hotel panorama. although the kind of cold I experienced was something else!! extremely cold in November. not near abuja in development but nonetheless enjoyable. nice people too and nice coffee grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 22, 2017
symbianDON:
I had the opportunity of visiting addis ababa in 2012 and it was a pleasant experience. I stayed at hotel panorama. although the kind of cold I experienced was something else!! extremely cold in November. not near abuja in development but nonetheless enjoyable. nice people too and nice coffee grin
You are definitely right, on the months of September, October and November it's very cold, especially at the morning and night. But the wettest months are June, July and August(this season is called Keramet).

The development part, you are also definitely right. There is a long way down for us. But our economy growth now is the largest in Africa and one of the largest in the world. But economic growth does mean economic development, so there is a long way to go.

2 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 22, 2017
Africa my home, I love u

3 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 22, 2017
Pidgin2:
Africa my home, I love u
Does this also include me? lolgrin
Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 4:21am On Apr 23, 2017
Hati13:
Does this also include me? lolgrin
Hehehehe
Re: Visit Ethiopia by Rapahel1116: 10:41am On May 02, 2017
My girlfriend is Ethiopian .....Ethiopian ladies are so so beautiful. Eritrean Nd Ethiopian ladies look alike sha

1 Like

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Rapahel1116: 10:42am On May 02, 2017
My girlfriend is Ethiopian .....Ethiopian ladies are so so beautiful. Eritrean Nd Ethiopian ladies look alike sha

1 Like

Re: Visit Ethiopia by Nobody: 11:23am On May 02, 2017
Rapahel1116:
Yes! grin grin grin
Re: Visit Ethiopia by NONNYG: 2:49pm On May 02, 2017
I need Ethiopian​ gf too. I like beta tingrin

2 Likes

Re: Visit Ethiopia by chukxie(m): 5:10pm On May 02, 2017
Nice post. Please, ignore the 'rich fellow' who referred to your country as "poor". I'd love to visit Ethiopia this year considering Ethiopian Airlines is my preferred airline of choice for flying from China to Nigeria. I've transited at Bole International Airport on numerous occasions. So, yes, I'm itching to explore your beautiful and historically rich country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? / Forex Shortage Hits Airlines As $575m Stuck In Nigeria / Is This America Or Is This Oshodi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.