Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,474 members, 7,816,118 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

What Religion Did Jesus Practice? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Religion Did Jesus Practice? (1847 Views)

Why Did Jesus Really Come To The Earth? / What Religion Did Jesus Practice? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Hdayo1(m): 8:40am On Apr 23, 2017
Don't for once think that I'm atheist and don't bother asking for my belief. I am just curious and I care to know that religion practiced by Jesus during his time. From literature, Christ is a tittle given to Jesus and after his demise, Christianity evolved. I'm not sure if Jesus practiced Christianity himself and that's why I'm asking.
Mind u, no foul language is allowed and contributions are welcomed from anybody regardless of your religious affiliation. Quotes from the scriptures are also welcomed...
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by forreelinc(m): 8:42am On Apr 23, 2017
Christianity?
I mean it may have been called something else back then but I mean we still worship God and read the scriptures like they did back then right?

1 Like

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by dingbang(m): 8:43am On Apr 23, 2017
When someone tells you that he is the way,the truth and the life and comes to teach you the path to salvation, do you now think he will follow another religion?
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Hdayo1(m): 8:53am On Apr 23, 2017
dingbang:
When someone tells you that he is the way,the truth and the life and comes to teach you the path to salvation, do you now think he will follow another religion?
Your response lacks basis. Be objective and forget about the dogmatic nature of our beliefs.

2 Likes

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Odinani(m): 9:01am On Apr 23, 2017
dingbang:
Jesus was a Jew. His religion was Judaism. The Pharisees and Sadducees, the Living Faith and Redeemed people of his time accused him of blasphemy based on their scriptures.

Of course, he was blasphemous. A 30 year old jobless carpenter's son should know better than claim to be God. What bothers me is how this story that occurred in a remote part of Israel in Asia take concern African man for Abakilil.

3 Likes

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 23, 2017
I am a Catholic...
I dont believe in Religion but I believe in God. I dont know God,but I have faith in him.
What I'll say about what the op posted is that....Jesus came as our Lord and Saviour,He did not come as some one who brought Religion. So,to ask the question,which Religion did Jesus practice,is not correct technically.
Hope you get my point.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by dingbang(m): 9:02am On Apr 23, 2017
Odinani:

Jesus was a Jew. His religion was Judaism. The Pharisees and Sadducees, the Living Faith and Redeemed people of his time accused him of blasphemy based on their scriptures.

Of course, he was blasphemous. A 30 year old jobless carpenter's son should know better than claim to be God. What bothers me is how this story that occurred in a remote part of Isreal in Asia take concern African man for Abakilil.
ok.. U have made your point.. Please go and crucify urself
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Odinani(m): 9:13am On Apr 23, 2017
dingbang:
ok.. U have made your point.. Please go and crucify urself
Addiction to self-immolation isn't healthy, even if your Savior approves.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 23, 2017
Jesus practised Islam.

1 Like

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Odinani(m): 9:16am On Apr 23, 2017
ThankYouGod:
Jesus practised Islam.
Christianity predates Islam and Christianity began after that Jew's death. Islam is Christianity's spoilt younger sibling.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Hdayo1(m): 9:17am On Apr 23, 2017
ThankYouGod:
Jesus practised Islam.
please substantiate your point/argument
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by menxer: 9:23am On Apr 23, 2017
Pato23:
I am a Catholic...
I dont believe in Religion but I believe in God. I dont know God,but I have faith in him.
What I'll say about what the op posted is that....Jesus came as our Lord and Saviour,He did not come as some one who brought Religion. So,to ask the question,which Religion did Jesus practice,is not correct technically.
Hope you get my point.

Let me use you as an example, you are a Catholic, right? How?
Were you born with it or into it?

The point is, before Jesus was ascribed "Lord and Saviour" he was brought up in a family that probably subscribed to a particular religion or form of worship, which is what this OP is about; Because our first religion is always our parents.

Ps:
From my research, Christianity as practiced now was not created by Jesus only ascribed to him, but was created by Eusebius by the authority of Emperor Constantine.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Hdayo1(m): 9:27am On Apr 23, 2017
menxer:

The point is, before Jesus was ascribed "Lord and Saviour" he was brought up in a family that probably subscribed to a particular religion or form of worship, which is what this OP is about; Because our first religion is always our parents.
God bless u abundantly....

1 Like

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by EVarn(m): 9:28am On Apr 23, 2017
Odinani:

Christianity predates Islam and Christianity began after that Jew's death. Islam is Christianity's spoilt younger sibling.
If I may ask,what prompted your last sentence?
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by EVarn(m): 9:30am On Apr 23, 2017
ThankYouGod:
Jesus practised Islam.
Hmm....Islam means "those who submit(to God)",so perhaps you are right.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 9:32am On Apr 23, 2017
Islam predates Christianity. All the prophets before Jesus Christ practised Islam.

Odinani:

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 23, 2017
Hdayo1:
Don't for once think that I'm atheist and don't bother asking for my belief. I am just curious and I care to know that religion practiced by Jesus during his time. From literature, Christ is a tittle given to Jesus and after his demise, Christianity evolved. I'm not sure if Jesus practiced Christianity himself and that's why I'm asking.
Mind u, no foul language is allowed and contributions are welcomed from anybody regardless of your religious affiliation. Quotes from the scriptures are also welcomed...

Judaism.

1 Like

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by AlfaAce(m): 9:37am On Apr 23, 2017
Jesus didn't practice any religion.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by EVarn(m): 9:39am On Apr 23, 2017
I would say Jesus practiced a reformed kind of judaism; he was against the legalistic traditions that had been added to the original law of God by the religious leaders and the corruption in the clergy.He sought to spread the word of God to the gentiles,unlike the elitist cult that existed in those days.
Christianity came as a result of his followers wanting to emulate his lifestyle and ideology.

2 Likes

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 23, 2017
menxer:

From my research, Christianity as practiced now was not created by Jesus only ascribed to him, but was created by Eusebius by the authority of Emperor Constantine.
Yes I am a Catholic and I was born a Catholic and I wont begin researching why I should quit being one since Salvation is not according to where you worship but How you Worship.
It was during the reign of Constantine that the Bible was compiled(it was written before his reign) and that Bible is purely making reference to the Divine Nature of Christ only,so thats why things are like this. But for me,I think the Bible should have contain the Human Nature of Christ too. Atleast his human nature will teach us more than the divine nature.
I understand where you are driving at....
At a tender age Jesus followed his parent to the Jewish Temple for the Jewish Rite of Presentation(when he was of age). He did that as a Jew. But,after his Baptism,he began preaching anywhere and everywhere. In temples and synagogues,the Bible has not made reference to wether it was Pagan Temples but it speaks of Temples. Hope you get my point.
And you wont tell me that all the temples at that time belong to Christianity.
Delibrate on this..; Do you think that Christ really die a Virgin as we think when his Father introduce the institution of Marriage..? Cos,for me He should have been the model husband for all husbands.....just my point of view.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by menxer: 10:14am On Apr 23, 2017
Pato23:

Yes I am a Catholic and I was born a Catholic and I wont begin researching why I should quit being one since Salvation is not according to where you worship but How you Worship.
It was during the reign of Constantine that the Bible was compiled(it was written before his reign) and that Bible is purely making reference to the Divine Nature of Christ only,so thats why things are like this. But for me,I think the Bible should have contain the Human Nature of Christ too. Atleast his human nature will teach us more than the divine nature.
I understand where you are driving at....
At a tender age Jesus followed his parent to the Jewish Temple for the Jewish Rite of Presentation(when he was of age). He did that as a Jew. But,after his Baptism,he began preaching anywhere and everywhere. In temples and synagogues,the Bible has not made reference to wether it was Pagan Temples but it speaks of Temples. Hope you get my point.
And you wont tell me that all the temples at that time belong to Christianity.
Delibrate on this..; Do you think that Christ really die a Virgin as we think when his Father introduce the institution of Marriage..? Cos,for me He should have been the model husband for all husbands.....just my point of view.
Same would also apply if you were born into a Pentecostal, Evangelical, Anglican, or Muslim family.

You know what, your Catholicism is in doubt for holding such views or asking such questions.
grin
I dey joke ooo.

@bolded, that as you rightly pointed out is the human aspect of Jesus that the Bible fails to enlighten us about. But other gospels that were banned from the Bible talks about such things.

It's just like when I read Genesis 2:23 - 25

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Pay close attention to bolded, it seems it was inserted later, to add weight and credence to the notion that marriage was instituted by God in Eden.
Besides the wife here is not specified whether she is your sister, cousin, aunt, or just any lady of one's choosing.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by sonofluc1fer: 10:30am On Apr 23, 2017
EVarn:
Hmm....Islam means "those who submit(to God)",so perhaps you are right.
In that context, he could be. But Islam as the religion we know today began after Christianity. Abi Islam the religion start before dem write Quran? cheesy
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by EVarn(m): 10:39am On Apr 23, 2017
sonofluc1fer:

In that context, he could be. But Islam as the religion we know today began after Christianity. Abi Islam the religion start before dem write Quran? cheesy
One could argue that Islam as a religion started way before Christianity; the concept of One God and paying obeisance to him(which is what islam entails) had been practiced millenia before Christ was born; Mohammed and the quran came only to institutionalize and evangelize it.
In any case,it matters not which religion came first.I think jesus just worshipped God the way he deemed right.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by martinsfm(m): 10:40am On Apr 23, 2017
Jesus was a jew...he practiced it all through till he started his ministry...at age 30, den he amended some of it which now in turn, became Christianity....
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 23, 2017
menxer:

Same would also apply if you were born into a Pentecostal, Evangelical, Anglican, or Muslim family.

You know what, your Catholicism is in doubt for holding such views or asking such questions.
grin
I dey joke ooo.

@bolded, that as you rightly pointed out is the human aspect of Jesus that the Bible fails to enlighten us about. But other gospels that were banned from the Bible talks about such things.

It's just like when I read Genesis 2:23 - 25

Pay close attention to bolded, it seems it was inserted later, to add weight and credence to the notion that marriage was instituted by God in Eden.
Besides the wife here is not specified whether she is your sister, cousin, aunt, or just any lady of one's choosing.
The Bible forbids one seeing the unclothedness of a sister,a brother,a mother and a father. It can be generalise,you know The Bible makes use of a part to represent the whole(what I was thought in the Seminary). So,I think cousins are inclusive.
Let me introduce you to what I found in studying the Bible...;
"God made Adam in his own Image,Liked him and blessed him".
But he later came back and took something-a rib- from him. I dont really think that it was the biological rib we know. If one's rib is remove,hope you know that the absence will be felt. Thats exactly what God took from Adam,made him a Woman and the two were bonded in Marriage.
God forbids us from having Pre-Marital sex,do you know why..?
'I think' sex is more of spiritual significance than the Physical pleasure. I also think that sex reminds God of the Adam that was complete-without a missing rib. Sex,just like circumcision was used to mark the covenant with Abraham,is use by God to demonstrate the true nature of His Adam before Eve. Reason why Jesus said Man and Woman will join to become one....
Waiting to hear you own view on it....
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by sonofluc1fer: 10:55am On Apr 23, 2017
EVarn:
One could argue that Islam as a religion started way before Christianity;
Story.
Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by menxer: 11:56am On Apr 23, 2017
Pato23:

The Bible forbids one seeing the unclothedness of a sister,a brother,a mother and a father. It can be generalise,you know The Bible makes use of a part to represent the whole(what I was thought in the Seminary). So,I think cousins are inclusive.
Let me introduce you to what I found in studying the Bible...;
"God made Adam in his own Image,Liked him and blessed him".
But he later came back and took something-a rib- from him. I dont really think that it was the biological rib we know. If one's rib is remove,hope you know that the absence will be felt. Thats exactly what God took from Adam,made him a Woman and the two were bonded in Marriage.
God forbids us from having Pre-Marital sex,do you know why..?
'I think' sex is more of spiritual significance than the Physical pleasure. I also think that sex reminds God of the Adam that was complete-without a missing rib. Sex,just like circumcision was used to mark the covenant with Abraham,is use by God to demonstrate the true nature of His Adam before Eve. Reason why Jesus said Man and Woman will join to become one....
Waiting to hear you own view on it....

I understand, as a seminarian you were taught to think and understand the Bible in a certain way, that conforms to the church doctrines.

To follow up on the marriage thing, I bet you are well Versed with the story of Abraham and his wife, Sarah.
Do I need to point out she was a "sister" from a different mother but same father with Abraham?
You see what I meant?

God didn't forbid any premarital sex, it's the church fathers that wrote or compiled the Bible that did.
God's order to "multiply" cannot be interpreted in the narrow sense of procreation being confined to marriage.
Yes there are advantages in raising children under parental care, but not in sense marriage is presented.

You know what?
That act of circumcision can also be construed as a blood pact between Abraham and God. Right?

We are told Jesus came to fulfill the law, did he fulfill the law of joining with a woman to become one?

Yes, sex may have spiritual significance because that is the point man is at union, not just the lady but with all aspects of himself, enabling him donate a rib (sperm) for a new being to be created.

1 Like

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2017
menxer:

I understand, as a seminarian you were taught to think and understand the Bible in a certain way, that conforms to the church doctrines.

To follow up on the marriage thing, I bet you are well Versed with the story of Abraham and his wife, Sarah.
Do I need to point out she was a "sister" from a different mother but same father with Abraham?
You see what I meant?

God didn't forbid any premarital sex, it's the church fathers that wrote or compiled the Bible that did.
God's order to "multiply" cannot be interpreted in the narrow sense of procreation being confined to marriage.
Yes there are advantages in raising children under parental care, but not in sense marriage is presented.

You know what?
That act of circumcision can also be construed as a blood pact between Abraham and God. Right?

We are told Jesus came to fulfill the law, did he fulfill the law of joining with a woman to become one?

Yes, sex may have spiritual significance because that is the point man is at union, not just the lady but with all aspects of himself, enabling him donate a rib (sperm) for a new being to be created.
Well said...... I like it..

1 Like

Re: What Religion Did Jesus Practice? by LLSAINT(m): 11:30pm On Apr 23, 2017
It is out of place to contemplate that Jesus Practiced any religion. No religion accepted Him because His purpose is to put an end to religion and bring direct relationship between man and God through Him. He is the end to religion and the beginning of relationship. All religious personalities were way-showers trying to tell us the truth but He is the way and the truth!Glory

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Holy Spirit & Holy Ghost / Sufi Islam Is Mathematics / Biblical Proofs: Understanding The Wearing Of Trousers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.