Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

- Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / (8563 Views)

Supreme Court Rejects Atheists’ Case To Remove “In God We Trust” From Money / Can You Curse What God Has Blessed? / Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin On Apostle Suleman's Sex Scandal: "What God Told Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by analice107: 10:48pm On Apr 26, 2017
larisoft:

How do i know its the holy spirit talking to me? So many people say the holys spirit is talking to them and they sound sincere....yet the holy spirit seems to be telling them different, contradictory things.
If the Holy Spirit talks to you, you'd know.

But, am sensing, you want to hear God through the ears of men and see him through the eyes of other men, It doesn't work that way.

Let me give you example how you know the Holy Spirit speaks.

On the 11 of January this year, a friend called me to send my Company's details to him, he was to help fix my name for a water hyacinth Job in NDDC. This is what a lot of friends are dying to get, i got it by just a phone call.

Now listen, The job will be given, but no work will be done. I was told, I'll be given the job, the money to execute it will be lodged into my company's account, after which an account number will be sent to me to transfer almost all of that money back to those who awarded the contract, and keep a fraction for myself, I agreed.

I was very excited, making a million box without sweat was not bad at all especially in January.

Meanwhile, i'd just commenced my annual 21 days fasting. I was happy believing God had opened a door. After the excitement, i went back to my prayer, i found myself empty, couldn't enter His presence. What happened?

I was Completely empty, i wanted to praise, no song came. What happened, i asked the Holy Spirit?
Did i do or say something wrong?

My peace completely eluded me. I knew something was amiss. i decided to really be calm to hear Him, then he spoke, what he spoke could never have come from me, because i was blown off. He said;

"FOR EVERY LABOUR, THERE'S PROFIT, BUT THIS PROFIT YOU ARE ABOUT TO MAKE, WHERE IS THE LABOUR?

My dear, that threw me off. It hit me like thunder. What??, He said further, can't you see you are about to be used to steal?

My dearest, i couldn't have said that to myself, i couldn't have thought of that after being so excited that i was going to make a cool 1M without stress in this recession.

I thanked the Holy Spirit for the rebuke, picked my phone and told my friend what happened and declined his offer.

This is how you know it's the Holy Spirit who spoke. The Holy Spirit can not lie, He does not steal so won't encourage it, He doesn't cheat so, won't encourage cheating.

If you want the truth, search for it from the Bible, when you are confused, ask the Holy Spirit, He usually brings up a Scripture to explain another one, but if you insist on depending on men, well good luck.
Re: by analice107: 10:51pm On Apr 26, 2017
larisoft:

How do i know its the holy spirit talking to me? So many people say the holys spirit is talking to them and they sound sincere....yet the holy spirit seems to be telling them different, contradictory things.
Okay, let's see what the Holy Spirit has said that is contradictory.
Re: by analice107: 10:56pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wilgrea7:
i asked my Christian brethren this exact same question when i got into an argument with them.. they told me that if i read my bible the holy spirit would reveal the truth to me... i asked “why is it that the interpretation of the holy spirit is always based on denomination?? a Catholic, protestant, Adventist can claim to have the holy spirit yet have varying doctrines.. that says a lot about the holy spirit they claim to have... right now i think the holy spirit Jesus was talking of is entirely different from the kind portrayed in chuches

concerning the topic, i think people are using historical events to dictate what God is saying... e.g tithe meant for the jews, etc... if you have a question concerning a particular topic and want to know what God is saying, you can open a thread and weigh the comments from CHRISTIANS unbiasedly
The Holy Spirit has no denomination. If anyone has a mindset already then that individual is bound to give you an answer based on his/her background, but if that individual really is in need of answers, he/she will take off the denominational blinders and get the truth.

Meanwhile, there are dogmas and this has to do with denominations. If you ask the Holy Spirit a question on dogmas, you won't get an answer becos he is not dogmatic.

And i think what you just said has to do with doctrinal dogmas not Scriptural truths.
Re: by analice107: 10:59pm On Apr 26, 2017
italo:

Is that what the early Christians did in Acts 15? Didnt they rather go to the heirarchy of the Church for clarification?

Who will determine whether their words line up with scripture? You? Or the Church?
It will have made more sense if you had quoted Acts 15 here let's see if it's not taken out if context.
Re: by analice107: 11:01pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wilgrea7:

this has been answered on doctoralien's thread

first you need to tell me what the holy spirit is... if you believe the holy spirit is the spirit of God, then the Holy spirit should be able to teach anyone in a way that he/she would get the message and not misinterpret it

the holy spirit should be so distinguishable that nobody should ever mistake the holy spirit for their mere imagination... also, there should be a yardstick for who is hearing from their imagination or who is hearing from the holy spirit

different denominations start for different reasons... not just the bible reading stuff
I totally agree with all you said here.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 11:04pm On Apr 26, 2017
Wilgrea7:

i read it... didn't see where it stated any yardstick to show who had the holy spirit and who didn't... care to share the verses?
the church establish by Christ is the very one endowed with his spirit, it is to her leaders that is granted the authority to discern and decided for the church and thus their decisions are considered binding this is why d council writes: "it seem good to the holy spirit and to us".
Re: by analice107: 11:05pm On Apr 26, 2017
CatfishBilly:
See what you did there, I did. Savage, you are. Damn girl, you just killed him grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Totally.
Re: by Wilgrea7(m): 11:13pm On Apr 26, 2017
analice107:

The Holy Spirit has no denomination. If anyone has a mindset already then that individual is bound to give you an answer based on his/her background, but if that individual really is in need of answers, he/she will take off the denominational blinders and get the truth.

Meanwhile, there are dogmas and this has to do with denominations. If you ask the Holy Spirit a question on dogmas, you won't get an answer becos he is not dogmatic.

And i think what you just said has to do with doctrinal dogmas not Scriptural truths.

you make a very good point... thanks ma'am
Re: by analice107: 11:34pm On Apr 26, 2017
Ubenedictus:
the church establish by Christ is the very one endowed with his spirit, it is to her leaders that is granted the authority to discern and decided for the church and thus their decisions are considered binding this is why d council writes: "it seem good to the holy spirit and to us".
I hope you realize that the Church is not a building or a crowd? The church is an individual. The Church is a revelation an individual has about the Lordship of Jesus.

When the Holy Spirit was given, He came on individuals specifically. He indwells people, talks to people who come together to form an assembly. When you keep mentioning " Church" you make it sound as though it's an entity, it's not. The Gathering called the Catholic Church or Living Faith, does not have the Holy Spirit, people inside these places are the carriers of the Holy Spirit.

Jesu said, "When two or three people (who are the carriers of his presence) are gathered in his name, he is present with them", that is the Church.

The Cburch is a Greek word 'Ecclesia", meaning the "CALLED OUT ONES", People who are called out for a purpose, to be different.

It is not the gathering but the People carrying his presence. And, the gathering is not called a church becos of how many years he has been around, it is upholding the truth as taught by the Master.

I am a Church, and you are a Church if you carry Him in you.

1 Like

Re: by italo: 1:02am On Apr 27, 2017
Ken4Christ:
When God speaks through any man of God, it must be consistent with the teachings of Jesus and his Apostles. They laid the foundation for the Church.

Apostle Paul placed a curse on anyone who preaches any gospel different from what the Apostles preached - Galatians 1:8-9.

Who will decide if the teaching is consistent with the apostles' teaching?
Re: by italo: 1:27am On Apr 27, 2017
MZLady39:

Brother,
I thank you for helping me with my character development.
I'm itching to "go there" with you.....but that would be unChrist-like.
You really should re-read my comments on the "ritual" thread....
But I know that will hurt your pride.
Brother Wilgrea7 nicely corrected me...although there are other definitions for the word.
However, thanks for assisting me where I may have made an error(s).
I'm open to correction...as the Bible states we should be.
Cause see.....I DON'T know it all just yet.

Sister, you're wrong, as usual. I read your comments and it didnt hurt my pride.

Here us part of what you said:

I would say "no" to rituals being used in Christianity.
It would then become something other than Christianity....

Then in another thread, you stood by your wrong opinion, saying:

I wasn't proven wrong about the rituals. I just chose to cease & desist. I stand by what I said.

Now, you're talking as if you were corrected and took correction.

You keep dancing dubiously from pillar to post because you are resisting the truth.

Which one is it?

Are there supposed to be rituals in Christianity or not?

1 Like

Re: by italo: 1:29am On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

It will have made more sense if you had quoted Acts 15 here let's see if it's not taken out if context.

It was a simple question:

Is that what the early Christians did in Acts 15? Didnt they rather go to the heirarchy of the Church for clarification?

1 Like

Re: by italo: 2:01am On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

Passage please.

But, here is what The Apostle Paul said about asking men about spiritual truths.

And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.

But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
Galatians:1: 14-17

When The Apostle Paul was converted and got baptised by Aneaniahs, he didn't go to Jerusalem to confer with the Old Apostles, he went straight for the mission he was called into, trusting only the Holy Spirit. He returned to Jerusalem to see Apostle Peter after three years in Arabia.

So, i don't know maybe you can throw more light, am open to learn.

BTW, good to see you.

Was this Paul or someone else?

Gal 2 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. 2 I went up in response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in vain.
Re: by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

Sister, you're wrong, as usual. I read your comments and it didnt hurt my pride.

You keep dancing dubiously from pillar to post because you are resisting the truth.

Which one is it?

Yes....what I said was that Christianity shouldn't have "rituals".....which was based on the secular definition.
I have partaken in Baptism...and quarterly partake in Communion/Footwashing.
I don't call them "rituals". I call them ordinances or services.
So based on the secular definition, the answer is "no".
I chose not to continue on in a debate...
Not that I believe in using that terminology.
Brother......let this thing go...ok?
Re: by italo: 6:56am On Apr 27, 2017
MZLady39:

You really should re-read my comments on the "ritual" thread....

MZLady39:

let this thing go...ok?

undecided

Neither here nor there...just to avoid accepting the obvious: rituals are (should be) an integral part of Christianity.
Re: by italo: 7:29am On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

I hope you realize that the Church is not a building or a crowd? The church is an individual. The Church is a revelation an individual has about the Lordship of Jesus.

When the Holy Spirit was given, He came on individuals specifically. He indwells people, talks to people who come together to form an assembly. When you keep mentioning " Church" you make it sound as though it's an entity, it's not. The Gathering called the Catholic Church or Living Faith, does not have the Holy Spirit, people inside these places are the carriers of the Holy Spirit.

Jesu said, "When two or three people (who are the carriers of his presence) are gathered in his name, he is present with them", that is the Church.

The Cburch is a Greek word 'Ecclesia", meaning the "CALLED OUT ONES", People who are called out for a purpose, to be different.

It is not the gathering but the People carrying his presence. And, the gathering is not called a church becos of how many years he has been around, it is upholding the truth as taught by the Master.

I am a Church, and you are a Church if you carry Him in you.

Matt 16:18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church (singular, not "churches," which is plural), and the gates of Hades will not overcome it (singular, not "them," which is plural.)

You see that your own churches (billions of individuals) is different the One True Church built by Jesus which is the Catholic Church we are talking about.

Hehehe.

1Tim 3:15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Are you the pillar and foundation of the truth?

Please drop that "I am the Church" nonsense, for the good of your soul and others.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: by analice107: 8:28am On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

Matt 16:18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church (singular, not "churches," which is plural), and the gates of Hades will not overcome it (singular, not "them," which is plural.)

You see that your own churches (billions of individuals) is different the One True Church built by Jesus which is the Catholic Church we are talking about.

Hehehe.

1Tim 3:15 if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Are you the pillar and foundation of the truth?

Please drop that "I am the Church" nonsense, for the good of your soul and others.
Dearest Italo.
I can see that only Catholics holds strongly to Peter being the Church referred to by Jesus in Matt 16:18, that is because of their Pope.

Now this is what The Master meant there. Peter had a revelation of what and who Christ is, and The Master said, upon 'That' revelation He 'The Master shall build his Church and no gate of hell shall prevail against that revelation.

If you believe Peter was the Church, (which is still okay, because Peter was an individual light carrier), you must of necessity believe that Peter is satan.

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Matthew:16:23

The Master turned to Peter and said, Get thee behind me satan. Peter became Satan now, now now?

Was Peter who just got conferred with the Title of the Pope according to you, all of a sudden became Satan?

Hmmmm, The Master wasn't referring to Peter personally in both verses.

If only you'd understand how the Master responds to issues...
Re: by analice107: 8:57am On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

Was this Paul or someone else?

Gal 2 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. 2 I went up in response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in vain.
See what i said about taking Scriptures out of context?

What was the issue at hand here? Circumcision.

Shd the Gentiles be circumcised before they are known and received as believers? This was a big issue, although Paul had the Holy Spirit's conviction, but becos he was particularly taking Timothy a Greek with him to Jerusalem, he needed to present the matter to others.
God cab accept you yet men can reject you.

Paul didn't leave taking matters to God and took them to Men. God hates it.
Re: by analice107: 9:01am On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

It was a simple question:

Shd the Church hierarchy replace God? Men and their philosophies, Men and their Polarizing shd take preeminence in spiritual matters when the Author of the Gospel is available?

Well, Christians take matters to God, those who follow the traditions of men, take their matters to men.
Re: by orisa37: 9:16am On Apr 27, 2017
God talks to our Fathers and Prophets in Dreams, Visions and sometimes in Trance. And He Himself gives The Interpretations as He pleases.
Re: by analice107: 9:31am On Apr 27, 2017
Wilgrea7:

you make a very good point... thanks ma'am
Love you dear.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 12:47pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

Which one is it?

Italo abeg let her breath...i believe she has corrected herself on d ritual issue. please dont tie her with it.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 1:52pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

Shd the Church hierarchy replace God? Men and their philosophies, Men and their Polarizing shd take preeminence in spiritual matters when the Author of the Gospel is available?
one of the problems of protestanism is the either\or mindset. It is God who said his church is d pillar and foundation of truth, he said when u have a case take it to d church. If you claim to really obey God then u will listen to his church who he promised to be with always even to the end of time! It seems u dont trust God to fulfil his promise.

Well, Christians take matters to God, those who follow the traditions of men, take their matters to men.
what did paul do when issue came up with d judaisers? Did he scream at them that he has already had a revelation or did he humbly go to jerusalem to settle d issue? That is d God approved way of settling issues not d way u protestants do it today where everyone claims 'd lord said to me...'.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 1:57pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

See what i said about taking Scriptures out of context?

What was the issue at hand here? Circumcision.

Shd the Gentiles be circumcised before they are known and received as believers? This was a big issue, although Paul had the Holy Spirit's conviction, but becos he was particularly taking Timothy a Greek with him to Jerusalem, he needed to present the matter to others.
God cab accept you yet men can reject you.

Paul didn't leave taking matters to God and took them to Men. God hates it.
the bolded isnt wht happened. U NEED 2 READ WHT D BIBLE SAY NOW WAT U THINK
Act 15 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. 2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them,
they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 2:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

Dearest Italo.
I can see that only Catholics holds strongly to Peter being the Church referred to by Jesus in Matt 16:18, that is because of their Pope.
catholics do NOT belive that Peter is the church! the church is NOT an individual, that is a protestant lie! The church is d BODY OF CHRIST founded upon d apostles with peter as first, christians are MEMBERS OF D CHURCH, not individual churches.

Now this is what The Master meant there. Peter had a revelation of what and who Christ is, and The Master said, upon 'That' revelation He 'The Master shall build his Church and no gate of hell shall prevail against that revelation.
who then was given the 'keys of the kingdom'?

If you believe Peter was the Church, (which is still okay, because Peter was an individual light carrier), you must of necessity believe that Peter is satan.
peter is not the church but leader and member therein.
Re: by analice107: 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
catholics do NOT belive that Peter is the church! the church is NOT an individual, that is a protestant lie! The church is d BODY OF CHRIST founded upon d apostles with peter as first, christians are MEMBERS OF D CHURCH, not individual churches.

who then was given the 'keys of the kingdom'?

peter is not the church but leader and member therein.
Every believer who has the Holy Spirit indwelling him/her has the Keys of the Kingdom, not Peter.

Do you believe that Peter was Satan who The Master rebuked?
Re: by analice107: 2:14pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
the bolded isnt wht happened. U NEED 2 READ WHT D BIBLE SAY NOW WAT U THINK
Act 15 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. 2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them,
they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.
The truth is glaring there sir.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 2:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
MZLady39:

Yes....what I said was that Christianity shouldn't have "rituals".....which was based on the secular definition.
I have partaken in Baptism...and quarterly partake in Communion/Footwashing.
I don't call them "rituals". I call them ordinances or services.
So based on the secular definition, the answer is "no".
I chose not to continue on in a debate...
Not that I believe in using that terminology.
Brother......let this thing go...ok?
You just want to dig a pit for urself wit this arguement over sematic. A ritual is a ritual whether u like the terminology or not. There is an old saying, if it looks like a duck, walks like one and quack like a duck... Then it is a duck. You cant say i don't like d work duck so i'll call it a bird when u clearly know d specie is a duck.

It sounds like that d goofy semantics i hear sometime -christianity is not a religion it is a way of life - i say balony.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 2:20pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

The Cburch is a Greek word 'Ecclesia", meaning the "CALLED OUT ONES"
It is "the called out ONES" not one! that should clearly tell u the church is an group not an individual.
Re: by analice107: 2:23pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
one of the problems of protestanism is the either\or mindset. It is God who said his church is d pillar and foundation of truth, he said when u have a case take it to d church. If you claim to really obey God then u will listen to his church who he promised to be with always even to the end of time! It seems u dont trust God to fulfil his promise.

what did paul do when issue came up with d judaisers? Did he scream at them that he has already had a revelation or did he humbly go to jerusalem to settle d issue? That is d God approved way of settling issues not d way u protestants do it today where everyone claims 'd lord said to me...'.

You are now talking about disputes, is the OP about settling disputes?

How do you know the truth about Scriptures? Should you rather ask men or the author of the Scriptures?

I taka the Holy Spirit sir.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 2:25pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

The truth is glaring there sir.
Ofcuz it is glaring paul didnt take d issue to jerusalem because of timothy bt because an arguement arose and everyone knew that the right way to end the issue was to take it to d council not everyone claiming God spoke to me.

1 Like

Re: by analice107: 2:26pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Ofcuz it is glaring paul didnt take d issue to jerusalem because of timothy bt because an arguement arose and everyone knew that the right way to end the issue was to take it to d council not everyone claiming God spoke to me.
Okay sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Don't Women Cover Their Heads In Church Anymore? / Where Is Ife Oodaye Located? / Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.