Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

- Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / (8551 Views)

Supreme Court Rejects Atheists’ Case To Remove “In God We Trust” From Money / Can You Curse What God Has Blessed? / Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin On Apostle Suleman's Sex Scandal: "What God Told Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: by analice107: 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:

It is "the called out ONES" not one! that should clearly tell u the church is an group not an individual.
Okay
Re: by urheme: 2:28pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

God has given his Church the authority to teach his truth (with the guidance of the Holy Spirit) to men.

Trust the Catholic Church. It has the fullness of God's revealed truths.

It is because some Christians believed they can know God's teaching more than the Church, by interpreting the Bible privately, that they now have millions of 'denominations' teaching contradictory doctrines, all claiming to be from One Holy Spirit.

They forget that Jesus never gave us the Bible. He gave us The Church - The Catholic Church. He never gave us denominations. It was the Catholic Church that gave us the Bible, almost 400 years after Christ.

"Catholic church gave us the Bible" other churches have produce Books for divine purposes too.....let me ponder for a while...

Is the Bible now a church manual or constitution
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 2:46pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

Every believer who has the Holy Spirit indwelling him/her has the Keys of the Kingdom, not Peter.
NOT ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE. The greek word used the is the 2nd person SINGULAR
www.biblehub.com/grammar/ppro-d2s.htm
it literally refers to only one person.

So i ask again who was given the keys in that passage by Jesus?

Do you believe that Peter was Satan who The Master rebuked?
satan means adversary, at d time peter wanted to prevent d master from his job hence he was rebuked as adversary.
Re: by analice107: 4:23pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:

satan means adversary, at d time peter wanted to prevent d master from his job hence he was rebuked as adversary.
The Keys of the Kingdom are given to every believer who has a revelation of who and what Christ is.
Yeah, satan is adversary but Jesus called Peter by name and referred to him as satan, was Peter satan?
Re: by analice107: 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:

So, Peter the Church, the custodian of the Keys if heaven was also an adversary?
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

You are now talking about disputes, is the OP about settling disputes?

How do you know the truth about Scriptures? Should you rather ask men or the author of the Scriptures?

I taka the Holy Spirit sir.
I take both d spirit of truth and the pillar of truth. The Holy spirit and the church. both/and not either/or.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 4:37pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

So, Peter the Church, the custodian of the Keys if heaven was also an adversary?
Yes peter who was given d custody of the keys of heaven also denied Jesus 3 time at a time and acted as an adversary at another time.

God doesnt chose d perfect, he perfects the chosen.

2 Likes

Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

The Keys of the Kingdom are given to every believer who has a revelation of who and what Christ is.
Yeah, satan is adversary but Jesus called Peter by name and referred to him as satan, was Peter satan?
NOT ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE.
The greek word used the is the 2nd
person SINGULAR www.biblehub.com/grammar/ppro-d2s.htm

It literally refers to 1 person.
Re: by italo: 4:41pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

Dearest Italo.
I can see that only Catholics holds strongly to Peter being the Church referred to by Jesus in Matt 16:18, that is because of their Pope.

When they have been debunked, they start to play dumb. Where did I or any Catholic ever say Peter is the Church?
analice107:

Now this is what The Master meant there. Peter had a revelation of what and who Christ is, and The Master said, upon 'That' revelation He 'The Master shall build his Church and no gate of hell shall prevail against that revelation.

Continue na...

...And in verse 19, Jesus said 'I will give that revelation the keys of the kingdom abi?

Nonsense.

If you believe Peter was the Church, (which is still okay, because Peter was an individual light carrier), you must of necessity believe that Peter is satan.

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.
Matthew:16:23

The Master turned to Peter and said, Get thee behind me satan. Peter became Satan now, now now?

Was Peter who just got conferred with the Title of the Pope according to you, all of a sudden became Satan?

Hmmmm, The Master wasn't referring to Peter personally in both verses.

If only you'd understand how the Master responds to issues...

You're just saying nonsense. I asked you: are you the pillar and foundation of the truth in 1Tim3:15?
Re: by italo: 4:45pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

See what i said about taking Scriptures out of context?

What was the issue at hand here? Circumcision.

Shd the Gentiles be circumcised before they are known and received as believers? This was a big issue, although Paul had the Holy Spirit's conviction, but becos he was particularly taking Timothy a Greek with him to Jerusalem, he needed to present the matter to others.
God cab accept you yet men can reject you.

Paul didn't leave taking matters to God and took them to Men. God hates it.

Gal 2 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. 2 I went up in response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in vain.

Paul gave his reason in bold. You manufactured your own reason on the altar of lies.
Re: by felixomor: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

It was a simple question:

Is that what the early Christians did in Acts 15? Didnt they rather go to the heirarchy of the Church for clarification?

Have u heard of the bereans Christians?
Re: by italo: 4:47pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

Shd the Church hierarchy replace God? Men and their philosophies, Men and their Polarizing shd take preeminence in spiritual matters when the Author of the Gospel is available?

Well, Christians take matters to God, those who follow the traditions of men, take their matters to men.

So Paul was not a Christian, since he took the matter to Church leaders?
Re: by felixomor: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Yes peter who was given d custody of the keys of heaven also denied Jesus 3 time at a time and acted as an adversary at another time.

God doesnt chose d perfect, he perfects the chosen.

Please can u show is the scripture where keys were given to specifically only Peter?
Please be specific.
I dont think I have seen such scripture
Re: by italo: 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
analice107:

I think its safe to assume you're not normal.

Where did anyone say Peter was the Church.

Is it that when you're debunked, rather than keep quiet, you start to argue against your own silly made-up opinions?
Re: by italo: 5:02pm On Apr 27, 2017
felixomor:

Have u heard of the bereans Christians?

Yes.

Have you heard of the Council in Jerusalem?
Re: by felixomor: 5:06pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

Yes.

Have you heard of the Council in Jerusalem?

Yes too.
So having known about the council and also of the berean Christians, do you think there is monopoly of God's voice?
Re: by luvmijeje(f): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2017
Someone said i should cross-reference their statements with the Bible? That was also written by ‘men of God’. How do i know when they are not making mistakes? Since we know a couple of them actually did make mistakes?
If you question the Bible then there's no solution to your case.

It simply means you don't believe in God.
Re: by itsloba: 6:38pm On Apr 27, 2017
larisoft:
How do we know what God is saying? Whom do we trust?

Most pastors i’ve had dealings with were very selfless, humble, and did their best to be good examples...but then; i also saw the a thing or two that showed me they are just humans. If they are humans, get it right sometimes and do make mistakes sometimes; how do i know they are not making mistakes when they say “God told me”?

Someone said i should cross-reference their statements with the Bible? That was also written by ‘men of God’. How do i know when they are not making mistakes? Since we know a couple of them actually did make mistakes?

In these circumstances, it seems to me that its not just a question of believing in God; but there’s also a high probability one could follow God’s instructions sincerely and religiously and still end up in hell.
Let's get it right, the bible was not written by men. But it was written by men under the inspiration of holy spirt. According to 2tim 3:16, the scripture is Gods breath....the bible is the very word of God to us. And looking at men is the mistake we make, we are to look up to God, the author and finisher of our faith..
Re: by Nobody: 8:34pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ubenedictus:
You just want to dig a pit for urself wit this arguement over sematic. A ritual is a ritual whether u like the terminology or not. There is an old saying, if it looks like a duck, walks like one and quack like a duck... Then it is a duck. You cant say i don't like d work duck so i'll call it a bird when u clearly know d specie is a duck.

It sounds like that d goofy semantics i hear sometime -christianity is not a religion it is a way of life - i say balony.

Good for you brother!! !!
You guys never fail to amaze me!!
With all due respect, you guys are insane!!!
I've never met such "insane" & "weird" Christian guys in my life.
Don't worry....it's not just you two that are creepy.
Just won't let a discussion die...& must win an argument.
It's got to be you guys' way or no way.
Since it'll make you guys feel better...here I go.
"You masters are correct!" "You win!" LOL!
Well let me stay in the ditch...& bury me smiley
Blessings to you guys....
Re: by analice107: 9:43pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

I think its safe to assume you're not normal.

Where did anyone say Peter was the Church.

Is it that when you're debunked, rather than keep quiet, you start to argue against your own silly made-up opinions?

E never reach personal insults o. Address the issue not insulting me.

U Catholics believe that Peter was the rock upon which The Master build the Church right? And i say no, It was the revelation which Peter had of the Master that the church was build upon.

No one is truly a Christian without having a revelation of who Christ is and anyone who has that revelation can never turn his back on Christ.

Now, i went on to ask you Catholics this, If you insist that Peter was the rock which the church is build on, because the Master declared what he said, would you also say, Peter was Satan? The Master called him by name commanded him to get behind him 'Satan.

Pls stay within the confines of this discourse, do not use insults here.
Re: by analice107: 9:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

So Paul was not a Christian, since he take the matter to Church leaders?
Ask yourself this, did Apst Paul take the matter to Jerusalem because he wasn't sure of the Holy Spirit's stance in the matter or he just needed to satisfy the opposing parties?

Ask yourself this, When Apst Paul was called into Ministry after he received back his sight, why didn't he go to Peter in Jerusalem to ask about the ways of the Church before departing to Arabia?

Why did he so whole heartedly trusted the Holy Spirit to have gone to Arabia straight from Damascus for three whole years?

He said, When he was sure of what he was to do, he conferred not with Flesh and blood, but went off to Arabia trusting the Holy Spirit alone.

You seem to believe in Men more than you trust God yo give you answers.

Good luck.
Re: by analice107: 9:57pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

Gal 2 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. 2 I went up in response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders) the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in vain.

Paul gave his reason in bold. You manufactured your own reason on the altar of lies.
Italo, you need to change. Since i met you in NL your are still the same using invectives when it's very unnecessary.

The fourteen years that Paul is talking about who did he confer with, before the circumcision matter got heated up?
The Holy Spirit alone.

For Fourteen years, Paul depended on the Holy Spirit entirely for revelations and guidance in his ministry. Italo use your head, Paul didn't go to Jerusalem becos he wasn't sure what the Holy Spirit's stance in the matter was, it was to satisfy those who where called the circumcision and it was becos of Timothy a none Jew whom he carried about.

Calm down and treat the scriptures within Context.
Re: by analice107: 10:00pm On Apr 27, 2017
italo:

When they have been debunked, they start to play dumb. Where did I or any Catholic ever say Peter is the Church?

You're just saying nonsense. I asked you: are you the pillar and foundation of the truth in 1Tim3:15?
hmmm
Re: by analice107: 10:10pm On Apr 27, 2017
urheme:

"Catholic church gave us the Bible" other churches have produce Books for divine purposes too.....let me ponder for a while...

Is the Bible now a church manual or constitution
Are these people even sane? Why do they keep rehearsing 'The Catholic Church gave us the Bible?'. Chinua Achibe is dead, If he wrote a book which he didn't publish before he died, and i pick it up and publish, will i become the author of that book?

What nonsense is this sef? The catholic Church compiled the Bible, COMPILED, that's what she did, compiled different scrolls and made it into one book, how does that imply that she wrote the Bible?

Weren't the early Christians using the Bible before the Catholic Church was formed in 4 Century AD?

Was Paul a Catholic? I don tire for these people abeg.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 12:33am On Apr 28, 2017
MZLady39:

Good for you brother!! !!
You guys never fail to amaze me!!
With all due respect, you guys are insane!!!
I've never met such "insane" & "weird" Christian guys in my life.
Don't worry....it's not just you two that are creepy.
Just won't let a discussion die...& must win an argument.
It's got to be you guys' way or no way.
Since it'll make you guys feel better...here I go.
"You masters are correct!" "You win!" LOL!
Well let me stay in the ditch...& bury me smiley
Blessings to you guys....
Hey, nobody is trying to get you. Calm down.
I left the ritual topic in the ritual thread and i have left it there...i do not hunt people with their mistake.

Italo brought d topic as a test of sincerity, i expected you to simple say, i made a mistake there but i'm sure about this...that means u are sincere and have no problem correcting urself if important points are raised but u decided to go wit d sematics arguement....
Insane and weird is just over d top.

1 Like

Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 12:42am On Apr 28, 2017
felixomor:

Please can u show is the scripture where keys were given to specifically only Peter?
Please be specific.
I dont think I have seen such scripture
www.biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/16-19.htm
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 12:52am On Apr 28, 2017
analice107:

Are these people even sane? Why do they keep rehearsing 'The Catholic Church gave us the Bible?'. Chinua Achibe is dead, If he wrote a book which he didn't publish before he died, and i pick it up and publish, will i become the author of that book?

What nonsense is this sef? The catholic Church compiled the Bible, COMPILED, that's what she did, compiled different scrolls and made it into one book, how does that imply that she wrote the Bible?

Weren't the early Christians using the Bible before the Catholic Church was formed in 4 Century AD?

Tempers are flaring, everybody please take a deep breath.

analice i am suprised u are asking these questions, i remember u were in d dralien thread and i specifically remember pastoraio did justice to this issue there. There we many books early catholics were using like shepherd of hermas etc but they are not found in d bible because we didnt add them.
Re: by Ubenedictus(m): 12:56am On Apr 28, 2017
analice107:

D church didnt just compile d bible, d church set d canon of scripture, the books u see in d bible are there because the church has put them there and didnt add others.

1 Like

Re: by Nobody: 1:41am On Apr 28, 2017
Ubenedictus:

Hey, nobody is trying to get you. Calm down.
I left the ritual topic in the ritual thread and i have left it there...i do not hunt people with their mistake.

Italo brought d topic as a test of sincerity, i expected you to simple say, i made a mistake there but i'm sure about this...that means u are sincere and have no problem correcting urself if important points are raised but u decided to go wit d sematics arguement....
Insane and weird is just over d top.

My apologies to you brother. I shouldn't have called you or him those words.
You are not insane or weird.
Please forgive me for that.
Sometimes my flesh rises up...when it shouldn't.
Re: by analice107: 7:53am On Apr 28, 2017
Ubenedictus:
D church didnt just compile d bible, d church set d canon of scripture, the books u see in d bible are there because the church has put them there and didnt add others.
My dear, the RCC never gave us the Bible. You can't publish another persons work posthumously and then claim authorship of the work.

The Bible was in use long before the RCC saw the light of day.
Re: by analice107: 8:00am On Apr 28, 2017
Ubenedictus:

Tempers are flaring, everybody please take a deep breath.

analice i am suprised u are asking these questions, i remember u were in d dralien thread and i specifically remember pastoraio did justice to this issue there. There we many books early catholics were using like shepherd of hermas etc but they are not found in d bible because we didnt add them.
Sir, adding or removing bits and pieces from someone's work, doesn't make you the author of the work nah.

Reviewers and Previewers of literary texts adds or remove from the original manuscripts if they see the need,but you can never see their names stamped on the back page as the author of a work.

It just so laughable for the RCC to keep claiming the authorship of the Bible. This is what we laf at Muslins for claiming their allah wrote the Bible. biko leave am.
Re: by Immorttal: 9:55am On Apr 28, 2017
larisoft:

How do i know its the holy spirit talking to me? So many people say the holys spirit is talking to them and they sound sincere....yet the holy spirit seems to be telling them different, contradictory things.
that was how i tested many pastors with different questions, after praying for the intervention of the holy spirit they ended up giving contradictory and different answers. While even critisicing each others explanations saying that their interpretation wasnt from the holy spirit. shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chorus And Hymns: Which Do You Prefer And Why / 25 Good Things Your Nigerian Church Can Do For You / 15 Characteristics Of A Psychopath.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.