Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones (23318 Views)

Samsung Sued Over Water-resistant Phone Claims / Four Water-proof Phones You'll Want Right Now / Nomu S30 - Water Proof/dust Proof/shatter Proof Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Ikem11(m): 7:56am On Apr 25, 2017
benuejosh:
there's a sentence that is incomplete in that write up then all of a sudden i saw Summary. Abi na my eyes no the see/read well?
I was wondering too.... When u try to understand what the op is saying he jump to next paragraph talking a different thing
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Nastydroid(m): 8:20am On Apr 25, 2017
delighteaners1:
Light tomorrow with todays affort, Picture speaks louder than voice.
View won slip photo for your Gratification
ticket looking so fake, you have 70000 yet you want to beg for 2500 or 1000 your stupidity is alarming
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by SUPERPACK: 8:24am On Apr 25, 2017
Nastydroid:
ticket looking so fake, you have 70000 yet you want to beg for 2500 or 1000 your stupidity is alarming
instead of am to stake the 700000 win 40,000,000 since na 100% fixed.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by bonetalk(m): 8:35am On Apr 25, 2017
2shure:
My sony xperia m4 aqua packed up fully lastvyear.
After runnin diff watwr tests.
D watwr no gree dry away feom screen.
Br u know it
D phone begin do nepa.
On off.on off.
I vex enter ring road.
D guy say men no level
Say e don be
But say men if i wan still try my luck dem for flash am 5k.
O bobs.naso i zoom off go buy LG G4.
I love LG die
gibbers
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by joelyusuf(m): 8:41am On Apr 25, 2017
Wow,,,,,very educative man,,,,,,thanks fr the knowledge nd its time for me to extend wat av learned to the outside world,,,,
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by strozzy(m): 8:43am On Apr 25, 2017
justino57:
The popular Nigerian slangs "Water no get enemy" is not applicable to mobile phones and other electronic devices because once water enters inside a smartphone, it could render it completely useless if nothing was done immediately. But thank God for the advance in technology as In recent times, some phone OEM decided to make phones that can withstand the dangerous effects water on them either when immersed or when being beaten by the rain.

Water Resistant Phone
However, the confusing part of it is some of these phones are tagged "water resistant" while some are tagged "water proof" by the manufacturers. So I want to use this medium to clarify you and enlighten you on the difference between water resistant and water proof phones.

Another tech term we usually come across whenever phones with this feature are released is "IP68 certifications". So let's take a closer look of what it means and how it's related to this topic.
  

Meaning of IP68 certification

This certification is given to electronic devices that passes a certain level of test specially meant to check if the device is dust proof and water proof. In other words, all IP68 certified handsets are water proof.

But why do manufactures use the word water resistant and sometimes water proof?

Smartphone makers refers phones that are IP68 certified, and are designed in such a way that the ports are sealed (ports like audio jack, micro USB etc) come with a rubber cover that seals off the opening as water proof phones.

While they refer phones with IP68 certification and ports not closed as water resistant.

Difference Between Water Proof Vs Water Resistant

If your phone is IP68 certified and have all its ports sealed with a rubber material, it is water proof.
But if your phone is IP68 certified and all or some of the ports are open,

Summary
So in conclusion, there is really no much difference, a IP68 certified handset will survive under water as long as the basic requirements are fulfilled i.e. max depth / time under water etc.

Meanwhile, you need to be extra careful with the handset that are water resistant or the one that does not come with the ports sealed. You need to dry such handsets if they were submerged, and never plug in the power for charging for at least 24 hours – you need to be sure the ports are completely dry.

For handsets with ports sealed you don’t have to worry about, only thing is to make sure that the ports are sealed before using handset ......
the only benefit i see with all this water proof phone, is just to snap under the water, and not being bothered about your phone when u are under the rain.
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Mrjo(m): 9:03am On Apr 25, 2017
Letsreason:

Without giving credit to the real source? Here is the source of the article http://www.wizytechs.com/2017/04/difference-between-water-resistant-and.html?m=1
ok! And another one for u
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Lillpo(m): 9:35am On Apr 25, 2017
crotonite:
Why should bother my self with water resistant/proof phones when i dont leave in water?
na when your phone fall inside water you go know "y"
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by aloobright17: 9:36am On Apr 25, 2017
benuejosh:
there's a sentence that is incomplete in that write up then all of a sudden i saw Summary. Abi na my eyes no the see/read well?

If your phone is IP68 certified and have all its ports sealed with a rubber material, it is water proof.
But if your phone is IP68 certified and all or some of the ports are open

Na scam.
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Lillpo(m): 9:40am On Apr 25, 2017
calddon:
My current Samsung phone is water resistant according to spec, but the fear of fear never gree me test am. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
grin grin have faith bro.... But incase any thing goes bad during the process of testing , here is my no 08141905020....i go epp you manage am as condemn cheesy
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by UgwuKristian: 9:40am On Apr 25, 2017
My S7 edge is waterproof, I swim with it, bath with it, Try and get one for yourself.
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 25, 2017
Lillpo:
na when your phone fall inside water you go know "y"
I'm not that careless cool
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by sixpee(m): 10:13am On Apr 25, 2017
This, (very much like the CAT s70 without IR imagery) is an example of a full IP68 rated water PROOF phone.

Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by huntax(m): 1:01pm On Apr 25, 2017
benuejosh:
A failed copy and paste mission.
Re: Difference Between Water Resistant And Water Proof Phones by Hallenjay: 1:44pm On Apr 25, 2017
justino57:
The popular Nigerian slangs "Water no get enemy" is not applicable to mobile phones and other electronic devices because once water enters inside a smartphone, it could render it completely useless if nothing was done immediately. But thank God for the advance in technology as In recent times, some phone OEM decided to make phones that can withstand the dangerous effects water on them either when immersed or when being beaten by the rain.

Water Resistant Phone
However, the confusing part of it is some of these phones are tagged "water resistant" while some are tagged "water proof" by the manufacturers. So I want to use this medium to clarify you and enlighten you on the difference between water resistant and water proof phones.

Another tech term we usually come across whenever phones with this feature are released is "IP68 certifications". So let's take a closer look of what it means and how it's related to this topic.
  

Meaning of IP68 certification

This certification is given to electronic devices that passes a certain level of test specially meant to check if the device is dust proof and water proof. In other words, all IP68 certified handsets are water proof.

But why do manufactures use the word water resistant and sometimes water proof?

Smartphone makers refers phones that are IP68 certified, and are designed in such a way that the ports are sealed (ports like audio jack, micro USB etc) come with a rubber cover that seals off the opening as water proof phones.

While they refer phones with IP68 certification and ports not closed as water resistant.

Difference Between Water Proof Vs Water Resistant

But if your phone is IP68 certified and all or some of the ports are open,

Summary
So in conclusion, there is really no much difference, a IP68 certified handset will survive under water as long as the basic requirements are fulfilled i.e. max depth / time under water etc.

Meanwhile, you need to be extra careful with the handset that are water resistant or the one that does not come with the ports sealed. You need to dry such handsets if they were submerged, and never plug in the power for charging for at least 24 hours – you need to be sure the ports are completely dry.

For handsets with ports sealed you don’t have to worry about, only thing is to make sure that the ports are sealed before using handset ......
op I guess Samsung note 4 shd b water proof but dose r not sealed as I can see here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Big 6 Specification And Pictures / Emeka Oparah Of Airtel Visits 4-Year-Old Boy Whose Eyes Were Plucked / Which Phone Is The Best For 100k Or Slightly More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.