Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,914 members, 7,821,199 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? (3334 Views)

Poll: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated?

Yes: 75% (6 votes)
No: 25% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

With Her High Score In Both JAMB & Post-UTME, She Was Not Offered Admission / 2013 JAMB CUT-OFF: List Of Universities And Their Jamb/post-utme Cut Off Marks / Jamb & Post Utme List Of Cut Off Marks For Various Nigerian Universities And Pol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 05, 2010

Do you oppose or support the motion?

I think the Joint Admission Matriculation Board should be crashed off based on my points below:

JAMB was created in 1978 to conduct entrance examinations into the universities and redress educational disparity or inequality in the country. There were 13 universities in the country then. The polytechnics and colleges of education were later included in the JAMB portfolio.

Before JAMB was established, each university conducted its own entrance examinations.
In recent years, there have been complaints about the continued handling of this function by JAMB, more so, it is argued, as JAMB does not rely solely on quality and
ability but also geographical spread and state of origin. Yearly, thousands of qualified candidates are denied admission by JAMB because of their state of origin.

This doesn't augur well for the production of quality graduates in the country.

For more info: 
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=070709&ptitle=JAMB%20and%20pre-degree%20programmes

I discovered most neighbouring countries in Africa and other countries worldwide don't conduct massive examination like JAMB apart from the GCE, WAEC, GMAT, SAT etc.

Recently, I believe this JAMB is just to frustrate and delay students to gain admission into the institution and use this means to generate yearly income.

The exam is rubbish as far as I'm concerned because I don't see the reason why POST-UME should be introduced again.

I noticed they are trying to ping point the best student out of all but this is not the right step to make the educational system work.

CASE OF STUDY:
The chinese population is about 1.6 Billion and the educational system is not so hard like this. As soon as you pass your High School Examinations

Each faculty will conduct entrance examination to test your ability if you are capable but not all universities conduct this exams so why can't we apply this same protocol to our own system in Nigeria

Solution to Nigeria's Educational System
WAEC should be very strict and try to deal with examination malpractices.

JAMB and POST-UME should be eliminated as it used to be in the early 70's

For this theory to work out, students should also study very hard and not depend on so called EXPO which is affecting most students nowadays in Nigeria

CASE OF STUDY
Mass failure of WAEC and NECO in 2009
http://allafrica.com/stories/200912170658.html

What do you think folks?
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 05, 2010
My take on this is that the status quo should be maintained. Post-ume should be strenghtened to actually serve as screening test.
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by jayeasy: 10:13am On Jan 05, 2010
Well, With the points and analysis that Faakay as made on the issued of Entrance Examination into University, Polytechnic and also Colleges in Nigeria this day, I think that our Government really need to take their of view contemplation to the Nigeria Education system, to think about many institutions in abroad, their system of Education isn't rigid the way of Nigeria education system and i hope that the only elucidation to this problem is for Nigeria Government to array all Institutions here Nigeria by discontinue what so-called Post-UME or any other screening examination that may overwhelm students who as already victorious from their SSCE & JAMB for them to be offered Admission into their choice of Institution.

Thank you Faakay for this post, its very interesting and we also need to perfect debate on it
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by solidgold(m): 11:34am On Jan 05, 2010
jamb is a useless body
i think universities should start conducting their
own entrance exams like other countries do because jamb does not
really test the true ability of a student .

runs and other forms of exam malpractice are now in vogue
no wonder most universities take another entrance exams
after the jamb exam.
i don't really think this is a debate
cause most nigerians are fed up of jamb or utmf or utmb dey call it now
most of us will vote in favour of scrapping the body
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by tunderino(m): 7:06pm On Jan 05, 2010
Leave Jamb Matter go apply for UCAS abeg.
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Hardar4lag(m): 12:43am On Jan 06, 2010
I want Post Ume to be scrapped
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 08, 2010
OK

More comments are welcome
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by ade4prof: 5:18pm On Jan 08, 2010
post ume test should be scrabbed , i t has brought frustration to so many people, a news was pased that someone hang his self for admission frustration.
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Nobody: 2:16am On Feb 09, 2010
ppl know see this topic? shocked na waoo hehe
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Kunle106(m): 2:36am On Feb 09, 2010
ade4prof:

post ume test should be scrabbed , i t has brought frustration to so many people, a news was pased that someone hang his self for admission frustration.
i 2nded p.ume shd b scrabed, and if possible higher institutn shd conduct their own entrance exam, ume shd b eliminated
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Kunle106(m): 2:38am On Feb 09, 2010
faakay:

ppl know see this topic? shocked na waoo hehe
hmmm, jus seein dis,
Re: Should Jamb/post-ume Be Eliminated? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 23, 2011
Anybody there?

(1) (Reply)

(rufus Giwa Poly Owo Utme Screening Date) / Admission Into Eksu Pre-degree Programmes For 2012/2013 Session / When What U Read Doesn't Come Out(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.