Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,747 members, 7,827,755 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives (14109 Views)

Forget Coronavirus See What May End The World This Week / China To Launch An 'Artificial Moon' To Light Up City As Far As 50miles(Pics) / Charles Onu Invents Ubenwa, Artificial Intelligence System To Analyze Baby's Cry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:05am On Apr 27, 2017
Technology has advanced so quickly in the 21st century that virtually everything you can imagine is almost possible. All that is required is an algorithm. New inventions like autonomous vehicles , AI powered computers/assistants and robots are gradually becoming part of our everyday lives.

Artificial Intelligence is still in its infancy but with the little that has happened so far humans should take some time to understand what is really happening and ask ourselves the ultimate question –In the effort to make our lives easier , are we putting our lives at the mercy of machines and hackers?.
In this article, I’ll be talking about robots and autonomous cars.

Autonomous Cars

A lot has happened since the development of autonomous vehicles .These cars have experienced crashes and in cases had their controls hacked. Some people still say that the cars are still in beta and by the end of 2020 most of the bugs will be fixed but many of them forget the fact that Autonomous Vehicles are run by A.I programs which may be vulnerable to attacks. Like most computer programs, companies tend to fix bugs after the security of the program has been breached or a flaw has been discovered.

When the autonomous vehicles are now released for public use, you may hear a sad story of how a man unsuspectingly got into his car only to discover that the security has been breached and his car’s A.I system has been hacked.

A security breach, one that may cost the person his life. If it’s a flying taxi, the same theory applies too. Stories of crashes due to hacks will be endless. Everything seems like a script from a Sci-Fi movie but that’s the future we are slowly heading towards.

If you take a time machine to the time of Alexander the Great and tell him that you could take his picture and post it all over the world in a second, trust me you’ll be accused of sorcery. People during that time period would not even believe the world could advance as much as it has now.

I’m not against the use of autonomous vehicles but once the use of these machines cannot guarantee the safety of its users it should not be used. Security and Privacy seem like an illusion, nothing is guaranteed to be 100 percent safe. Until Autonomous Car Companies can guarantee that our lives will not be taken by a hacker’s touch of a button, we’re better off driving on our own with the A.I as an assistant.

Robots

Robots are actually meant to assist us but they may end up ruining our lives. Have a look at the short fiction below:

A man comes home from work looking gloomy. He parks his car and sits in the living room looking worried.

‘Darren, you look sad, what’s the problem?’ , his wife asks as she sits down beside him.

‘I’ve been saving up for Cheryl’s college fees and I hoped to complete the remaining couple of dollars from my salary this month and guess what, My boss fired me because he got a robot that handles the calculations faster than me’.

It may be fiction now but in a couple of years it’s certainly going to be real. A lot of people would lose their jobs and be replaced by machines. In future, if humans don’t take a moment to understand what is actually happening, the only jobs that’ll be left will probably be I.T related jobs.

You won’t need a cleaner, gardener, drycleaner or tailor because there’ll probably be robots that do their jobs more efficiently but the question still remains -What will happen to those who do these jobs?

A.I is unarguably the future of technology but it may actually ruin our lives. A.I is aimed at making our lives easier but it’s a little bit similar to a video game. Playing easy mode sucks but the advanced mode makes it more fun. It’s a two way sword.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:07am On Apr 27, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by BiafranBushBoy: 7:41am On Apr 27, 2017
if they can use robots to fight insurgency, locate terrorists locations and some others, I think it is needed in Nigeria.

As for the cars, can't work in Nigeria.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by HARDDON: 7:58am On Apr 27, 2017
Just like it is with every new invention, there wud be reservation n resentment towards it.

But no matter what, technology wud always strive not just to improve upon itself but to improve our lives .

Let those who might feel thretened about losingvtheir jobs go learn AI security. See? Prob solved.

THis op's wailing reminds me of when computers where first introduced to Nigeria in d '80s. Workers came home crying. But look where we are today

They wud keep serving us.
My only issues is: let them not gain self awareness cos then, the humanrace wud be doomed.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by luminouz(m): 8:10am On Apr 27, 2017
HARDDON:
Just like it is with every new invention, there wud be reservation n resentment towards it.

But no matter what, technology wud always strive not just to improve upon itself but to improve our lives .

Let those who might feel thretened about losingvtheir jobs go learn AI security. See? Prob solved.

THis op's wailing reminds me of when computers where first introduced to Nigeria in d '80s. Workers came home crying. But look where we are today

My only issues is: let them not gain self awareness cos then, the humanrace wud be doomed.
Like I,Robot abi? grin

2 Likes

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by HARDDON: 8:23am On Apr 27, 2017
luminouz:

Like I,Robot abi? grin

My brother.
Itz scary menh.

Did u notice , starting wit Hyundai cars, that the cars we only used to see in PES car racing r now living with us in reality?
If vid games cud become a reality, imagine well scripted movies.

N im not just saying this because as we are talking, men r in the lab working 24/7 to make sure these systems becomes more real wit emotions n feelings. Bridging d HCI gap.
U now have sexual famale rebots that respond to stimuli. U hv computers so sensitive that a lil screw out of place, they wudnt come on.

Have u interacted recently with Siri? God!
Ive got dm shivers gee

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by luminouz(m): 8:25am On Apr 27, 2017
HARDDON:

My brother.
Itz scary menh.

Did u notice , starting wit Hyundai cars, that the cars we only used to see in PES car racing r now living with us in reality?

N im not just saying this because as we are talking, men r in the lab working 24/7 to make sure these systems becomes more real wit emotions n feelings. Bridging d HCI gap.
U now have sexual famale rebots that respond to stimuli. U hv computers so sensitive that a lil screw out of place, they wudnt come on.

Ive got dm shivers gee
Lmaoooo! I feel u bro....n that is just d beginning!!!! Get used to it oooi
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by austinereds(m): 8:25am On Apr 27, 2017
Very true op. But A.I can't be stopped. Let there be awareness. But honestly with the crazy movies (sci-fi) I have seen so far really scares the crap outta me. Guess by then it will be sorted out. Nice write up OP.
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by lekjons(m): 12:36pm On Apr 27, 2017
So A.I is your greatest fear of technology?

Mine are nukes!

7 Likes

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by koskilala: 5:11pm On Apr 27, 2017
I need a new tecno camon cx

1 Like

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:50am On Apr 28, 2017
Cc mynd44 lalasticlala
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:13am On May 01, 2017
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Darkseid(m): 9:25am On May 01, 2017
Just like I've told my friends, if the world would be destroyed, it wouldn't be by God. It would be computers like Skynet or Ultron. A small bug or virus in a self aware computer would be disastrous.

8 Likes

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Darkseid(m): 9:27am On May 01, 2017
[quote author=NaijaTechGuy post=56087528][/quote]You still dey book space for your thread.

1 Like

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by NaijaTechGuy(m): 9:59am On May 01, 2017
Darkseid:
You still dey book space for your thread.
lol. No be space booking o

1 Like

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Cyb3rhack3r: 6:21am On May 02, 2017
You're totally right..
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by DollarAngel(m): 7:32am On May 02, 2017
You are left
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Nobody: 7:35am On May 02, 2017
Na real artificial Intelligence be this below

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by bayelsaowei(m): 7:36am On May 02, 2017
HARDDON:

let me see how robots can come handle stakeholders in projects...or handle Niger delta crisis. ... grin

1 Like

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by 2shure: 7:37am On May 02, 2017
U are dull OP.
Dullard.
Y cant u save the energy to do something truthful.
Be original.
Fuckin foreign article
Copy and paste.
Dullard.
We still have not reached stage of development .
And u talking abt robots
Hackers
Which hacker dey naija
Or where robot wan operate for naija.
Una bloggers just dull sha.
No wonder u guys make 10k a month

4 Likes

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by kennyone: 7:38am On May 02, 2017
bayelsaowei:
let me see how robots can come handle stakeholders in projects...or handle Niger delta crisis. ... grin
Have you ever heard of the field of AI called NLP? We are getting to that stage where AI will make accurate decisions as regards what you highlighted above.

3 Likes

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Raymondreigns(m): 7:40am On May 02, 2017
dude wat to do is easy...wen pipo kip on improving n buying new techs dnt buy sit at home n use stones to count....Dem nr force u buy in d first place...
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Nobody: 7:42am On May 02, 2017
Robots are self-aware now. We're in trouble. WW3 Loading like Queen Elizabeth II had suspected. I hope and pray not sha
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by ednut1(m): 7:43am On May 02, 2017
Una don start again. It would not ruin any lives abeg. It would create more opportunities for man. Abi no be person go supervise, service d robots,write the algorithms Most car manufacturing plants are automated yet pple still work der in droves
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by doskie(m): 7:44am On May 02, 2017
HARDDON:

My brother.
Itz scary menh.

Ive got dm shivers gee
the most baffling thing to me is the female dolls that respond to stimuli. il want to see it in a video. it will have an adverse effect on relationships and marriages, even mental health.
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by menxer: 7:46am On May 02, 2017
This is actually what happened to the gods when they created man.

We are coming of age and very soon the cycle will complete and restart.
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by proudly9ja(m): 7:47am On May 02, 2017
There's nothing to fear. We're already in that age. This is industry where I work on a daily basis and you'll be amazed at what's being developed. It's exciting!

OP, self driving cars won't be much of a problem. In fact I know for a fact that The next step for autonomous vehicles is to have them all connected to a network just like you have computers on The internet. I know a research team working on this.

The fears are already within us. We already have intelligent home systems where you can connect your home electronics via your mobile phones. Your fridges are self aware and can warn you when you're running short of items. You can control your heating from anywhere in the world. These are already available. Home assistants like Amazon echo are now part of our lives.

Someday many will leave the cities and head for the quietness and sanity in rural areas and villages...lol

6 Likes

Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by Bossontop(m): 7:50am On May 02, 2017
grin grin
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by onosprince(m): 7:50am On May 02, 2017
What a rubbish post....
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by naijacentric(m): 7:50am On May 02, 2017
I concur especially the job part
Re: How Artificial Intelligence May End Up Ruining Our Lives by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:50am On May 02, 2017
2shure:
U are dull OP.
Dullard.
Y cant u save the energy to do something truthful.
Be original.
Fuckin foreign article
Copy and paste.
Dullard.
We still have not reached stage of development .
And u talking abt robots
Hackers
Which hacker dey naija
Or where robot wan operate for naija.
Una bloggers just dull sha.
No wonder u guys make 10k a month

Sometimes you should learn to keep your stupidity private. Do you think my blog is focused on only things that's happening In Nigeria. I wrote an article and you said it's copy and paste because you're too dumb to understand anything there. If you don't have anything reasonable to say. Shut the f*ck up

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Are Your Thoughts On Cyborg Technology. / Ikeja Electric Upgrades Mobile App For Better Service / Cdn Af Feednews Com: The Unrivaled Opera News Hub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.