Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,967 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions (14236 Views)

Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines / Woman Kisses Two Lions In South Africa (VIDEO And Pictures) / Lions Bring Cars To A Stand-still In Nairobi Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by infogenius(m): 3:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
David in the Bible killed a lion with his bare hands when the lion tried to attack his father's flock.This time around a 13 year old has gained fame by protecting livestock from Lions.

I know if it were many adults they would take off.Even their presence will put the scare out of any normal man.If na you will you wait?
Read story here.

Richard Turere, 13, had reason to despise lions while growing up with his family on a ranch in Kenya: The beasts routinely killed their livestock, which he was largely responsible for. Rather than fret, however, the clever boy put his mind to work and devised an invention that not only deters lions, but does so without killing or injuring them.

(Lions, whose numbers have shrunk to an alarming level, are vital to the ecosystem and valuable as a tourist attraction in nearby Nairobi National Park. The park boasts the world's largest concentration of lions, which often perceive livestock on nearby ranches as easy pickings.)

The invention, one what has proved remarkably successful after a series of other experiments had failed, stemmed from Turere's discovery, when he was 11, that lions became skittish at night when people walked around with flashlights.

"I discovered that the lions were scared of the moving light," he told CNN.

He gathered dozens of LED lights and rigged them to a battery and solar panel that powered the family television. He devised a way to make the lights flash and placed the bulbs on poles surrounding the livestock enclosure.

The nighttime livestock raids ended, and Turere's "Lion Lights" system is now widely used in the region, helping ranchers deal with the predators in a manner that no longer has to involve shooting them.

"I did it myself, no one taught me, I just came up with it," Turere said. "I had to look after my dad's cows and make sure that they were safe."

Because of his ingenuity, and his adeptness at engineering without training and with limited resources, Turere was invited to Southern California for this week's 2013 TED Conference, where he has shared a platform with other top innovators. He also received a scholarship to Brookhouse International School in Nairobi, where he now studies.

urere shared two of his previous lion-deterring ideas at the conference. One involved fire but that backfired, he said, because "it was helping the lions see through the cowshed."

Another was a scarecrow. "I was trying to trick the lions. But lions are clever," he said, explaining that on the first day the lions saw the scarecrow and fled, but on the second they realized the scarecrow wasn't moving and killed several cows.

Of being invited to the TED Conference, according to an event blog post, Turere told the crowd: "A year ago I was a boy in a savannah grassland. I saw planes fly over and I said I'd be inside one day. I had a chance to come by plane for the first time for TED. My dream is to become an aircraft engineer and pilot when I grow up."

To be sure, for this bright kid, the sky seems to be the limit.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/51172/kenya+boy+13+gains+fame+for+protecting+livestock+from+lions/
http://www.afrigadget.com/2012/04/18/13-year-old-kenyan-innovator-saves-cattle-from-lions-with-lights/

13 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by tpia5: 3:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
Good for him.

Cue, nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by gluv01(f): 11:31am On Mar 01, 2013
Wonderful, he should be given a good push ahead. And for sure, if he works hard, the sky should not even be his limit.
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 01, 2013
.. Thumbs up kid!!!
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 01, 2013
If only those lights could scare armed robbers too... cry

14 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 01, 2013
nansence...writing in small caps.
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by ejifranks(m): 4:12pm On Mar 01, 2013
Black Genius cool cool....Nice
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by 190theclown: 4:13pm On Mar 01, 2013
i invented a light during my time too
to scare fowls from eating my mama'corn angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by donbazini: 4:13pm On Mar 01, 2013
Inspired by God for those who doubt
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 01, 2013
Good thinking,good product. Shing cging hung, shing hum hong
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
Wonlaful (wonderful). What a bright mind.
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
Why are people hating?
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Popowaa: 4:19pm On Mar 01, 2013
Na lie
190-the-clown:

1 Like

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 01, 2013
smart kid, not cram and pass, when employed, u cant do shiit.... kudos young man.... may many more inventions come from africa
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by maclatunji: 4:20pm On Mar 01, 2013
What a nice feel good story this is.
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 01, 2013
190-the-clown:
hahahaahahah i know it will be you.... dont worry we have a fowl award for you grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by gerrardomendes(m): 4:25pm On Mar 01, 2013
can this also work on armed robbers? just asking
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Abujafood: 4:33pm On Mar 01, 2013
Ingenious!
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by AbrantieGH(m): 4:34pm On Mar 01, 2013
What a heart-warming story!

Little man, you are already an Engineer. May you become the most successful human being when you grow up.

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by adexsimply(m): 4:36pm On Mar 01, 2013
moved...go ahead boy, the sky is a limit to ur inventions

*wipes tears*

1 Like

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:42pm On Mar 01, 2013
ejifranks: Black Genius cool cool....Nice

[size=32pt]NOT BLACK GENIUS! MASAAI GENIUS!

STOP RACISM![/size]
angry angry angry angry angry angry

the boy is brown colour. angry

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by ezeuba(m): 4:46pm On Mar 01, 2013
jackbauersballs: If only those lights could scare armed robbers too... cry
Dude you got me rotflmao... Seriously, that would be the best invention so far, if it could scare armed robbers too... LOL...
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 01, 2013
Love this! smiley
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 4:47pm On Mar 01, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

[size=32pt]NOT BLACK GENIUS! MASAAI GENIUS!

STOP RACISM![/size]
angry angry angry angry angry angry

the boy is brown colour. angry
you be big fool_masai na black
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by 190theclown: 4:52pm On Mar 01, 2013
Popowaa: Na lie

huh - were u not part of the chicken i used to chase away with light angry angry

1 Like

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by KINGwax(m): 4:52pm On Mar 01, 2013
Livin in the villages at times as its own advantage o. I can't even remember how many times I did ds flash touch of a thing while in primary school.
But lions no dey now, I no come popular. O ga o
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Popowaa: 4:56pm On Mar 01, 2013
Lol,u wan kill me with laugh abi.u fit run self?
190-the-clown:

huh - were u not part of the chicken i used to chase away with light angry angry
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by RedLight1: 4:57pm On Mar 01, 2013
190-the-clown:
why do u need light when u coulda eat both the chicken and the [pop corn grin
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:00pm On Mar 01, 2013
mikeyhernadez: you be big fool_masai na black

[size=16pt]SHUT UP MONKEY! WE ARE TRIBESMEN AND INDIVIDUALS NOT AKATA SLAVES! CALL US BY OUR ID! [/size] angry angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by Nobody: 5:00pm On Mar 01, 2013
Now, that's what I call 'CREATIVITY'

Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by brainpulse: 5:16pm On Mar 01, 2013
Good one, different from those fighting over hijab instead of creativity
Re: Teenager Uses Lights To Protect Livestock From Lions by toykathy(f): 5:31pm On Mar 01, 2013
nice try guy. Sky is ur limit

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elon Musk Deletes Telsa and SpaceX's Facebook Page / Design And Build Of A Pure Sine Wave Inverter / Whatsapp, BBM For PC Download, Whatsapp For Computer (windows 7/8/vista/xp)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.