Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,833 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) (37370 Views)

Amabebe Richard Produces Chandeliers, Lamp Holders With Sawdust (pics) / Check Out This Real Life "Iron Man" Flying Suit / Met Man Who Create Real Life Iron Man Suit That Flies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by lalasticlala(m): 2:00pm On Apr 28, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DafoDiRvGLM

A British inventor, who built an Iron Man-style flight suit, has flown it at the Ted (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference in Vancouver.

Richard Browning's short flight took place outside the Vancouver Convention Centre in front of a large crowd.
Since he posted the video of his maiden flight in the UK, Mr Browning has had huge interest in his flying suit.
But he insists the project remains "a bit of fun" and is unlikely to become a mainstream method of transportation.

He was inspired by his father, an aeronautical engineer and inventor, who killed himself when Mr Browning was a teenager.

He told the BBC that he always had a passion for making things and loved a challenge.
"I did this entirely for the same reason that you might look at a mountain and decide to climb it - for the journey and the challenge."
He said he was also fascinated by the idea of human flight.

"My approach to flight was why not augment the human mind and body, because they are amazing machines, so I just bolted on what was missing - thrust."
Mr Browning, a Royal Marine Reserve, created his flying machine using six miniature jet engines and a specially designed exoskeleton.
He has a helmet with a sophisticated heads-up display that keeps him informed about fuel use.
The Daedalus suit - named after the father of Icarus by Mr Browning's eight-year-old son - takes off vertically. Mr Browning uses his arms to control the direction and speed of the flight.
Mr Browning said it is easily capable of flying at 200mph (321km/h) and an altitude of a few thousand feet.
But, for safety reasons, he keeps the altitude and speed low.
He insisted it is "safer than a motorbike".

The suit can currently fly uninterrupted for around 10 minutes.
The start-up he founded, Gravity, is working on new technology for the device which Mr Browning said will make the current prototype look "like child's play".
Since video of his maiden flight went on YouTube, he has had thousands of views and interest from investors and the UK military.
But he does not think that the system is about to go mainstream anytime soon.

"I think of it as a bit like a jet ski, a bit of fun or a indulgent toy, but I do have a hunch that stuff will come along to make it more practical."
It remains a fascinating project for those who see it in action.
"There is something strange in seeing the human form rise up and drift around and that leaves a deep impression on people," he said.
The Civil Aviation Authority has yet to take any decisions on the level of regulation required for jetpacks.
And in Europe, the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), which has responsibility for approving all new aircraft designs, including experimental concepts, has not yet formed an opinion on human propulsion technology.
"Going forward it may be necessary to create a new category of regulation for this technology as it clearly does not fit in neatly with aircraft regulation," a CAA spokesman told the BBC.
"Ultimately, I think it unlikely that such technology would be completely deregulated.
"This is potentially powered flight after all, unlike activities such as hang-gliding and paragliding which are deregulated. High speed human propulsion could easily conflict with low flying aircraft and so the 'pilot' would almost certainly need some kind of training and a licence."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39441825

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 28, 2017
This is not new jooo.
My Edo people been flying without aircraft since 12AD

79 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Tellemall: 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2017
Very soon some Nigerians that can't prove why f=ma will come round to tell everybody who cares to read how"this is real technological advancement, this is what real technology is, not the funny looking rockets the Southerners produce!"

Right. Good luck to you moaners. You won't see the change in Africa until Africans begin to act instead of just admiring stuff from overseas.

The funniest thing I've seen is a Nigerian seeing fictitious machinery in a movie and actually believing it's really out there somewhere in America.
Absolutely disgusting.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by exeasy(m): 2:15pm On Apr 28, 2017
Tellemall:
Very soon some Nigerians that can't prove why f=ma will come round to tell everybody who cares to read how"this is real technological advancement, this is what real technology is, not the funny looking rockets the Southerners produce!"

Right. Good luck to you moaners. You won't see the change in Africa until Africans begin to act instead of just admiring stuff from overseas.

The funniest thing I've seen is a Nigerian seeing fictitious machinery in a movie and actually believing it's really out there somewhere in America.
Absolutely disgusting.
Seriously, I don't understand what you just wrote.

87 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by opeyemiieblog(m): 2:16pm On Apr 28, 2017
hmmmm
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Tellemall: 2:21pm On Apr 28, 2017
exeasy:

Seriously, I don't understand what you just wrote.

Nobody said you would.

9 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by talk2saintify(m): 2:48pm On Apr 28, 2017
lol

na me give am the ideal

ask buhari?

2 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by exeasy(m): 3:04pm On Apr 28, 2017
Tellemall:

Nobody said you would.
Lol. I guess you took my quote the wrong way. My comment meant no harm. Apologies. But admiration births innovative ideas too.

10 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by SammieLowkey(m): 3:36pm On Apr 28, 2017
exeasy:

Lol. I guess you took my quote the wrong way. My comment meant no harm. Apologies. But admiration births innovative ideas too.
oooohm.. Y u apologise na? I been wan watch fight since i no get any comment as per topic grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Blakjewelry(m): 4:13pm On Apr 28, 2017
Lala reach here today, gigantic things to come to the tech section

1 Like

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Flexherbal(m): 4:17pm On Apr 28, 2017
Wow!

This is lovely!

1 Like

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by RoyalBoutique(m): 4:54pm On Apr 28, 2017
Tellemall:

Absolutely disgusting.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by deepwater(f): 4:54pm On Apr 28, 2017
This is Brownian movement na

2 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by justbelivit: 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
under must

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
grin
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by DollarAngel(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
Richard Browning you are learner, come or go to BENIN they have been flying since time immemorial, they dey turn bird if u want, your is 10mins , Benin own dey reach 1 hr

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by GindoX(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
alexistaiwo:
This is not new jooo.
My Edo people been flying without aircraft since 12AD

Witches and wizards.. grin
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Starships4u(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
And we re to fry garri or noodles
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by obafemee80(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
An example of SCIFIs coming to reality...
I love Engineering Geeks

2 Likes

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by EWAagoyin(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
Oru lo ma pa eleyi Sha
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by smartty68(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
Nice invention...

Naija own na to take flh for night take suck blood and oppress people
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by paradigmshift(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2017
nothing person no go see
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Kizyte(m): 4:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
OK
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
what happens if the jet stops in mid-flight?

1 Like

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by robosky02(m): 4:58pm On Apr 28, 2017
witch - craft grin
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Thermodynamics(m): 4:58pm On Apr 28, 2017
just another over comfortable white man.

1 Like

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by oshe11: 4:58pm On Apr 28, 2017
make he target aso rock jare
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by SweetJoystick(m): 4:59pm On Apr 28, 2017
He is not able to control it yet (movement), anyway it's a welcome development
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Spidermon: 4:59pm On Apr 28, 2017
Tellemall:

Absolutely disgusting.

Bros, this is technology abeg.

Even the UK military showed interest.

The craftmanship looks neat and the contraption worked as advertised.

You dont expect me to applaud mediocrity because it was designed by a fellow black man.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by Quinn22(f): 4:59pm On Apr 28, 2017
OMG! This is soo cool shocked
I wanna try one of those sad
It's going to be soo Much fun grin
Re: Richard Browning Is A Real-life Iron Man - With His Own Flying Suit (video) by bukynkwuenu: 5:01pm On Apr 28, 2017
Tellemall:

Nobody said you would.

bros no vex what has ever been your own contribution in Africa or in your life ....even with your over 700 NL post

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

16-Year-Old Chukwu Emmanuel Builds Helicopter and Jet Toys / Snake In Toilet Bites Man's Penis In Israel / Cameroonian Man Carved Out A Cooler From A Bamboo Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.