Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,056 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) (3110 Views)

Never Say Yes Cause Others Are Saying Yes / May, 2004 (a True Life Story) / US Poll: Wole Soyinka Trends On Twitter For Saying He'll Destroy His Green Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 12:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
There are a lot of things that have been pondering the minds of many but they are always just scared to say it. I HOLYPAUL is just here to share with you one of the many true stories that I have witnessed and found interestingly touching. Just to caution don’t be so emotionally attached because I have decided after some deep consultation with my innermost spirit that this story is a true story. Hei the greatest mistake you will make is to doubt me because no one has ever done that and enjoyed my story. So just sit tight, relax get a cup of coffee and please remember ENJOY the beautiful art piece of HOLYPAUL
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 12:27pm On Apr 29, 2017
Henry received a distressing call from his only and loving big sister ordering him to come to her apartment at once. He hurriedly left the book he was reading thanking God his father was not at home to delay him, ran to a nearby store bought something and wrapped it up. He boarded a taxi and went to his sister’s apartment. I smell trouble but who am I? Just forget it. I am just invincible but have taken a little interest in the drama going on at Sandra’s apartment. How comes did I know her, believe me it’s an imagination. The question is “how can I imagine” but believe me I too don’t have an answer to that question. Who am I and what am I doing in Sandra’s apartment I too don’t exist but believe me I do exist and you will get to know more about me later, just keep flipping the pages. It is 9:30 am and Henry was already at his sister’s beautiful apartment which was more comfortable than his father’s home but was still amazed why his sister still doesn’t want him to come over to stay with her. Henry wanted to badge in but remembered how his sister had queried him several times, since today was her birthday he doesn’t want to cook up any trouble at least just for today. If Henry was asked old he was, he will tell proudly “am Eighteen years old”. What of your sis, how old is she? “Come on man she just senior me with four years” will be his reply. Henry! Henry! Henry! did you just call four years “just” okay let’s just see how this works out. Now who is Sandra? Sandra is the first daughter born to Mr and Mrs Joseph Ahaneku. She actually took from her mum I mean she got more off the genetic content of her mum than her father. The shape, eyes, smile I mean everything so if I say Sandra mum was beautiful then what will you say of her daughter I choose “awesome” but there is just one trait they both have in common which is “you will get to know better. Sandra’s mum was separated from her father for the past five years, was it because of this trait “I don’t know” but what I know is that Henry just knocked at his sisters door with smiles all painted on his face and standing with the most astonishing gift ever. He knocked again but there was no reply, he opened the door with the thought that she must be in the bathroom.
“Noooonooonooooooo………..” Henry was screaming what He saw was unbelievable, was that his sister or his mind playing games on him or maybe it was a dream. I wished it was a dream Henry but am sorry this is reality. Just take a look at this pretty damsel hanging on a ceiling fan with rope tied round her neck, whets her name again? Sandra was the name I wanted to start crying but Henry was already doing that. He brought her down amidst tears,
“Big sis, look at the pink necklace I bought for you” he said bringing out the gift he bought for her from his pocket and opening it,
“You have loved pink since you were nine years old at least just say thank you and I will wake up from this dream’’
“Sorry Henry it’s not a dream……..” I wanted to say forgetting that I was invincible but he has already dashed outside screaming at the top of his voice “HELP! HELP! HELP!” I wondered what the help will do, it will only take her to mortuary before she starts decaying and to save the question “Is that my Sister?” Her body was moved out by an ambulance that arrived fifteen minutes after the incident. Sympathizers were trooping in, neighbours were weeping, friends were crying but come on Henry you were suppose to be a man. Thank God I said “were”. He picked up his phone called his mum and dad releasing the bomb blasting three words “SANDRA IS DEAD”. We (I and Henry) were about leaving when Henry stumbled on a book which was kept on the coffee table. Honestly, I too have not come across any book like that in that room. He came closer to look at the book keenly lo and behold he saw the beautiful writing of his beautiful no awesome sister,
“WHAT SAYING YES DID TO ME”

1 Like

Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2017
Criticism is accepted here, whether constructive, insultive, stupid.... As Holypaul once said there is always sense in every nonsense that's why its called Nonsense...Next post in d next 30 minutes
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by emeijeh(m): 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2017
See Epistle!
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2017
“Wow! Sandra didn’t tell me that she was writing a book”. He quickly opened the next page it goes
“Dedicated to all young players all over the world” His questions were “why will Sandra be writing a book for football players” when he knew she hated football with passion. She preferred to watch a Nollywood movie over and over again than to watch a single football match. I too was inquisitive and was praying that Henry will open another page. Yes he just did it, I can’t tell you how elated I was but I was pretty happy. The next scenario was I and Henry sitting on a sofa and him opening the next page and the story began,
The meeting with Sunny
It all started when I was eighteen years old, as a young girl full of life with hopes and dreams. I was in a café one fateful evening in order to check if I have secured admission in university of Lagos my dream university. Suddenly someone tapped me on my shoulder, I quickly turned back to see who was tapping me then behold I saw a young cute fellow who was filled with smiles though the most astonishing thing about him was his voice,
“Evening miss”
“Evening” I replied him though I felt special that a guy whom I presume to be twenty five years old was greeting me but as I have watched in movies I need to show this guy that am a tough girl just as Laura my friend had demonstrated the other day with John her crush.
“I am sorry if I am bothering you but I just saw you checking Unilag’s website so I thought if it may be cool if I ask if you are a student”
“Not at all, I just hope to make it as a student”
“Don’t bother yourself, you will make it because……”
“Because of what?” I asked calmly
“Pretty girls do have this strange luck everywhere they go”
“By the way am Sunday friends call me sunny, I just graduated from Unilag, I studied biochemistry am just here to check where I have been posted to for my NYSC”
“Oh I see” I replied quickly
“So what’s the name?”He asked
“Me? Am Sandra, friends call me Sandra, I applied Unilag, I want to study accounting and am just here to check if I am admitted”. I mimicked him and we both laughed, I guess I couldn’t show off because Sunny was extremely cool.
“Can I check my name now?” I asked rather rudely just not to give a false impression of being cheap but He took no offence and was just smiling. I turned to face my computer it was already logged off
“Oh my God” I complained but sunny took charge of the situation by giving me his own card which we both used. The good news was that I was admitted, Sunny was posted to Kano and he will be leaving in a few weeks. He also told me he has a brother studying law in Unilag but didn’t tell me his name because I was not interested in that topic. The few weeks were heaven for me; we went to different places from clubs, eateries, cinema houses and many more. Honestly I must confess the few moments we had were memorable for me. To cut the whole story short, he proposed to me and I said “YES” without a blink of an eye, I don’t need to tell you the reason why but Sandra was madly in love. Everything began to get sober, the moment he was leaving but the funniest thing about our relationship is that we didn’t have sex until when he bid me goodbye. Why not take a rest reader?
We (I and Henry) were more inquisitive than ever but he was surprised how comes he never knew of a person called sunny but wasn’t willing to take a break.
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 1:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
As promised next post in the next 30 minutes.. Done....now anticipate the next in fifteen minutes time
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 2:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
An evening with Johnny
It has been some months; Sunny’s call had been getting lower from thrice a day to once a day to once a month and now to once in three months. I had once complained but he explained that he was really busy and I guess I just have to understand”. I have started getting use to my new environment I mean university of Lagos. There was this girl I met during my registration but coincidentally we were pushed to the same room. Bisi was her name she had one thing that I admire and it was her social life. I and Bisi had transferred from being roommates to being friends and now best of friends. She had asked me one fateful evening
“I haven’t seen you hooking up with any guy here, are you in any relationship?”
“No am not dating anyone” I denied remembering how she taunted Bukola who claimed she have a boyfriend residing in London with the words “a long distance relationship is no relationship at all”. I knew if I had said the truth mine would be worst because Bisi spares no one.
“Oya, get ready today we are going out” she ordered me
“Going where” I asked trying to show displeasure on my face
“Anywhere, I am tired of you staying indoors every blessed day after lectures or is there something you are not telling me”. I obliged I mean how can I argue with a drama queen like Bisi and besides I don’t want her to feel am hiding something from her.
That evening was really nice we went to a dance party organised by TISTIM (The Inspired Sent To Inspire Many). What a nice name I said to myself. After presentations by the dance crew the Mc announced that it was time for the audience to swirl their partners around. I was the opposite of Bisi who was dancing as if it all depended on dancing but Sandra was just sitting on a chair nearby and sipping her drinks. Just then a strange guy came to me offering to dance, I was about rejecting when I saw the look on Bisi’s face like “Don’t come back home if you embarrass me”. I eventually agreed.
“So whets the name of this incredible dancer am dancing with” He asked
“You really want to know her name huh? That’s Nigeria for you we reply questions with questions
“Yeah I think so and probably that’s why I asked her to dance”
“Okay, maybe you should go first” I insisted
“Haven’t you come across the saying Ladies first” He argued
“But you guys haven’t put us first in anything”
“I don’t understand you”
“Okay the president or governor‘s office we haven’t won” he busted into laughter
“You are going to far beautiful, let me think have you guys ever won SUG president in the history of Unilag” It ensured into an argument in which I was trying to remind him that our present Sug president is a female but He reminded that she was acting on behalf of the guy Sug president that was indefinitely suspended.
“Hmmmm. You must be a law student” I asked
“Sure I am” He replied
This guy is smart and hilarious I thought maybe I should consider him.
“Why aren’t you dancing?”
“Am just tired” I said trying to locate somewhere to seat, he followed me shouting at the top of his voice
“As far as the pretty ones lead the way I will follow”
“So can I know the name now?”
“Okay, my name is Sandra I am in the department of accounting what about you?”
“Am John but friends call me Johnny……….” Immediately He mentioned “Johnny’ my phone rang, it was sunny calling. I excused myself and discussed in low tones with sunny who just called to check on me. But I think am in love with someone else, is this what this crazy word “Love” is all about. No I have to be matured I said to myself I and Johnny will be just friends and nothing more. I am sorry Sandra it didn’t work out like that, he was to smart that I am falling for him and the fateful day he proposed I forgot that someone like Sunny was in existence and I said “Yes”. Hello reader you really need a break.
“Come on sis how will you say YES to two different guys” Henry complained but I the invincible one was just praying for him to keep flipping the pages. I think he just flipped it "thank God"
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 10:24pm On Apr 29, 2017
Shopping with Larry
I was back at home on three months long holiday. Let me just summarise my relationships as thus: Sunny called me to tell me that there is something still keeping him back in Kano. He added “I love you baby” but do I? Yes I think I still love him but what of Johnny He wants to even pay me a visit this holiday. Wow Lagos is a big city indeed. I have already made up my mind that no more saying “Yes” to any sort of random guys again but will it be so I too don’t know. I made a wrong decision when I decided go to shopping on a fateful Saturday. After buying the necessary things I needed I wanted to remove my master card to pay, just then a man in his thirties came over to where I was with the counter with the cashier,
“Don’t worry pretty one I will pay” he said to me winking at the cashier who nodded in the affirmative. I wanted saying “thank you” but was conscious of the fact that it may cause another problem to my life and I wasn’t ready to have any again. So I just left the shopping mall, once outside I stopped a taxi but before I could hop in someone was already beside me, He quickly gave the taxi man some naira notes which he accepted happily saying “Monkey no work but him still dey chop abeg sis no fall him hand” and he drove off.
“What you did there was a kind of harsh” began the man who just paid for my shopping.
“I am really sorry I was just in a haste to catch a church program” Yes I said to myself this kind of men don’t like church girls.
“Yeah which church is that?” How did he know I was lying but I remembered hearing shouts of amen when I was coming for shopping, I guessed it was assemblies of God.
“Assemblies of God” I managed to say
“Oh my God, what a coincidence” declared the excited stranger
“I don’t understand” I replied still confuses on why he was happy
“You see how God works; I was about heading to the same church before I met you”
“Okay till I see you there “I said trying to stop another taxi but he wasn’t giving up
“Come on, let me take you there” He pleaded
“Am good” I said coldly
“You know you just snubbed me at the mall why not just make it up to me please……”
Seeing a man like that beg for a little attention, I felt pity for him and the rest were history from church programs, to constant visits at home and shopping that was when I get to know he was the owner of the shopping mall where we first met. Larry was his name and he was the only person my brother Henry knew as my male friend. Both Sunny and Johnny haven’t been calling me for a while so I thought maybe they are done with me. The day Larry knelt down and asked me to be his wife I cannot explain to you what happened but I vividly remember me saying “YES”. So I planned to break up with each of my other boyfriends so I went to Kano to see Johnny but I was speechless when he said to me
“You know Sandra we have been dating for a while now and I haven’t been serious and am sorry for that but I want to ask you one question”
“What question” I quickly asked and then the unthinkable happened he knelt down removed an expensive ring from his pocket and asked
“Sandra will you marry me?” Honestly at this point I wished I was deaf and dumb, thank God I was not putting on Larry’s ring but did I say yes. “I think so” “You think?” “What do you want me to say” Wait am I talking to myself, Sandra is going crazy God please help me. I cancelled plans of meeting with Johnny went back to Lagos and straight to my apartment to think of a solution. I was full of hatred for myself that I began to ask myself if I was cursed or something.
“Come on Sandra, how can you be playing three guys now I understand what you meant by player but am sure the dictionary does not and so will Sunny, Johnny and Larry won’t if they ever found out” complained Henry but all the invincible could say was “Look Sandra you are really good at saying yes maybe you should learn how to say know when you return to this world again”.
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by andyboi4real(m): 11:09pm On Apr 29, 2017
nice story... keep it up
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by Alennsar(f): 8:47pm On May 03, 2017
hahaha funny but interesting. YESSSSS
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by franklyncj: 12:59pm On May 04, 2017
yeah
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 8:12pm On May 06, 2017
Please more comments so that I can complete my story...please
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 8:22pm On May 06, 2017
My end is near
Now things are being more hectic for me, I am twenty one years old and will be clocking twenty two next week Friday but the previous month had been tedious for me as both Larry 31 years old, sunny 26 years old, Johnny 24 years old were all in town. They all have been taking me out to different places at different times but I knew there was no way I will be hiding the truth forever. I had wanted to discuss it with each of them but anytime brought the topic they are more interested on wedding plans. I decided that I must end what I started by telling them the truth. So I arranged for them all to meet at titanic tour in sururele Lagos but the unimaginable happened when I met them discussing cheerfully. Immediately I arrived they said simultaneously “THERE SHE IS”. I was taken aback and just managed to ask while stammering “Do you guys know each other”
“We are brothers” Larry replied
“Bro……what!” I freaked out ran out of the building, stopped a taxi, jumped into the car and left for home. Just then there was a power failure, filled with anger Henry quickly removed his phone from his pocket with shaky hands and switched on the torch of his mobile phone. Honestly, I the invincible one was relieved because I couldn’t imagine me missing this part.
Story continues………
When I reached home, I ran to my bedroom and started crying. I mean I was crying like a child, when I mean like a child I simply mean a child who lost her mummy. Just then I heard a knock on the door, I forgot I had tears in my eyes I opened the door. It was Larry
“Sandra, why are you crying?” I was about saying something when Johnny entered and Sunny followed up
“What’s wrong” “why are you crying” They both asked
“Haven’t you guys found out” I said still stammering
“About what?” they asked simultaneously
“I am the Sandra that you all are in love with”.
“Nooooo, it can’t be” Larry screamed
“I met her first” were the words that came out of Sunny’s mouth
“We are already engaged” Johnny protested
“What do you mean by that” Larry queried before I could say Oliver twist they had started fighting I was trying my best to separate them but there was no way then I screamed at the top of my voice
“Stop fighting, I am the one you should fight, beat me, rape me or just kill me I am cursed”. They all paused looked at me and left angrily. I cried, wailed and wept but there was no help from anywhere even God couldn’t rescue me. After three days I managed to get them together at my apartment but they all kept asking me the same question,
“Who do you love most?”
“I love all of you” Immediately, Johnny got angry and was about leaving when he brushed larry on the shoulder and a big punch strucked him on the chin again. But Johnny replied with a hit which mistakenly got Sunny as Larry dodged and they engaged in another exchange of blows. They left again after being tired of fighting claiming that each of them knew they were dating me and wanted to steal me from them but that’s not true. “Keep quiet Sandra nobody wants to hear you” I said to myself. A day before my birthday none of the brothers visited me but their mum visited me. I must say a very nice woman who must be in her early fifties kneeling before me begging me that I should resolve the matter. She told me that Larry has thrown his younger brothers out of his house and Johnny had protested by wanting to shoot him before Sunny brought him down. She also added that Larry is finding him to take him to prison that I should do whatever it takes to resolve the matter if I really loved them. I woke up this morning 28th Nov 1998 with the unthinkable solution in mind “SUICIDE”. So when you see me hanging on this fan I just want Larry, Johnny and Sunny to know that I love them but want them to transfer that love to themselves because I don’t deserve it. “GOODBYE READER”
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by Missmossy(f): 8:24pm On May 06, 2017
Interesting keep it coming cheesy
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 1:50pm On May 11, 2017
The end of a new beginning
Henry was wiping the tears in his eyes but they have already started gushing down,
“You were not a player sis, you are my hero and you will be my hero forever” he declared and the tears were pouring down like never before. I the invincible guy just sat there with pity all written on my invincible face saying “I wish she could hear you”. I was escorting Henry out of the house when we saw three different men coming out of three different cars.
“These must be Larry, Johnny and Sunny” Henry said to the three brothers who were approaching him with different gift items.
“Who are you?” “How did you know my name” Both Johnny and sunny asked simultaneously
“He is Sandra’s brother” Larry told his brothers and they shook hands.
“Is she in?” They asked which made me pondering if they are not aware of what was going on
“She is gone” Henry replied them his eyes getting wetter; I wish could wipe the tears for him he has cried a lot today.
“Gone to where” The three brothers asked surprisingly
“What other world” They asked with their eyes still searching for answers
“My sister is dead” He shouted falling down on the floor and the words “DEAD!DEAD!DEAD!” kept echoing in my ears. They were about raising him up when Johnny muttered
“Larry, you caused this”
“What do you mean by that?” Larry queried
“Shut up Larry” Sunny added
“What did you just say to me” They were about fighting again when Henry screamed at the top of his voice
“Stop fighting, my sister committed suicide because of you guys just for you all to gain your brotherly love back but instead you are still pointing blaming fingers, please don’t make me feel she was wrong because I know she wasn’t” I don’t know if those words acted like Lazier on their hearts and melted their hatred to love for each other. The four of them hugged themselves, I wanted to join but I remembered that I was invincible.
“I know you all have brought a birthday present for her but here is a gift she has for you all”. Henry declared handing over the book to them. Larry took the book looked at it intently and muttered “What saying Yes DID To ME” Now there are three questions to be asked
“was Sandra really right about her decision?”
“IF you are Sandra what will you have done?”
“is this book really a true-life story”
I know you might have been wondering who this invincible guy was… Now here is the answer, he is no other person than HOlypaul
Watch out for “A letter from hell” which will be coming in one week from now. Remember Holy Paul is the best.

2 Likes

Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 1:51pm On May 11, 2017
Thanks for reading
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by prettyrose: 6:37pm On May 11, 2017
This Is One Of The Best Stories Ever,mention Me In Your Next Story
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by Alennsar(f): 8:31pm On May 11, 2017
oh so you're invisible. d story can pass for a real life one
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 8:46pm On May 12, 2017
A Letter From Hell Coming In Two Weeks Time. More Comments Please Nd Tnks To Those Who Commented
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 1:00pm On May 20, 2017
Make una help me comment na so DAT this book go popular....A story from hell loading
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 5:41pm On Dec 04, 2017
Still Surprised I Had One Thousand Views
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 10:29pm On Dec 07, 2017
A Letter From Hell On Its Way. In The Next Few Days Just Keep Glancing I Know It Will Be Captivating
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 4:28pm On Jan 04, 2018
A Letter From Hell Loading. Get Your Phones Ready Cuz I Am Ready To Blow Your Mind. Holy Paul Tells You That
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 10:47am On Jan 21, 2018
Please Take This Piece Of Writing To Front Page
Re: What Saying Yes Did To Me (a True Short Story) by HolyPaul: 2:30pm On Mar 09, 2018
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaahahahahaha

(1) (Reply)

Taming His Desire (Adult Romance) / What Does It Entail To Own Or Publish A Monthly Glossy Magazine? / Lapis Lazuli: story of a military assasin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.