Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,840 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? (23044 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Hosts Lupita Nyong’o In Lagos / Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Wole Soyinka And Chimamanda Adichie At The Felabration 2019, Pictured Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 6:36pm On Apr 30, 2017
Am glad this Piece made front page. Anyway, my question is this. why is at that all these years no effort has been made towards reconciliation why?
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by laudate: 6:54pm On Apr 30, 2017
olab059:
How can this be when she wasn't even alive during the war?

Good question! sad

1 Like

Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:03pm On Apr 30, 2017
Did you read the post at all?

Sandyyyyy:
I usually don't comment but this guy got me. This is her fucking story. It is her real life sad story. She was the little girl. Was she supposed to lie or something? Please make your findings before criticism. That book is nearly perfection
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by laudate: 7:03pm On Apr 30, 2017
MDCCCXXXII:
Who's talking about the Biafra people here? Are the so called Biafra people the only ones who suffered during the civil war?

Ask the minorities in the old Biafra what they went through during the war, at the hands of the Biafran soldiers. cry Also ask the non-Igbo people of the old Mid-west region about their experience during the war, when the Biafran forces overran their territory. sad
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:04pm On Apr 30, 2017
I think its a completely great idea I will think about it.

corpersforum:
Your review is a good one. I will advice you to start a website solely based on *Reviews*
It will be big if you keep at it.
Just reviewing anything reviewable..... am serious o
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:15pm On Apr 30, 2017
Its just my perception . After all no one knows exactly a first hand war experience in our generation. If you have read the book you will understand that really indeed she is a great writer.

You have no idea how i feel know is still Kainene is missing

bukynkwuenu:

I don't think you know what It means to tell a story of the death of over 3millon people......she was lenient with the story........if you get a full version of it you will see y biafra will exit the marriage soon
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
The war ending itself was a happy ending, its marked the end of tragedy and starvation.

dmltoyin:
In respect to the concept of the story, you shouldnt have anticipated a happy ending

Besides, nobody sees the end of a war
There are always remains
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:23pm On Apr 30, 2017
If you have read this book you will never sound this way trust me. I know the love story of Shakespeare's romeo and juliet for the record and its nothing compared to this book in context.

Drabeey:
Those are chacters potrayed.by a good writer op.

If i may ask you, why should Romeo die in that legendary.shakespearian work?

it shows how good she is and how spell bound she held her readers....

as for me i dont read all these gothics nor Romantic, i rather go for the sci-fi

Anyways.....

Drabeey was HERE
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by cnonyechi(f): 7:32pm On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
I hate reading fiction novels because most times the writer toil with the emotions of the reader with suspense, tragedy and grey endings. So my friends got my a Book by Chimamanda, Half of a Yellow sun. Of course before now, i have read several books on the rise and fall of the Biafran State, my favourite was Chinua Achebe "There was a country". For some reasons however, i avoided Half Of A Yellow Sun. until i got it as a gift and I could not close the book until i finished reading it
The author was very cruel, i asked myself if she ever took it into consideration that its humans with emotions who read the book and not robots. Of course i totally understand the tragedy of war stories but this is different.
In the book I shed tears when Kainene brought the news that Ugwu had died. It was much easier for me to deal with it -after all its one of many war sad tragedy tales- until i read the part that he survived and i felt thankful. Other characters that died like Eberechi, Okeoma felt normal to me even if i felt sad what made me really upset was how the book ended without writing what exactly happened to Kainene. I felt she was mean and not fair, at least the novel was filled with so many tragedy, an happy ending would not have been a bad idea or even if Kainene had die everyone would know exactly how the story ended and mourn her death or something. The pictures were so vivid that certain characters remained constant to me and Kainene was just like Olanna, Odenigbo, Richard and Ugwu. I think proper sending has to be written at least to satisfy my curiosity of what ever may have happened to Kainene.
Am aware lots of people got missing during the war in correlation with the vivid picture Chimamanda painted but why Kainene?
Anyway, This is such an evocative and poetic novel. The language, the story, the characters, the setting—this is nearly a perfect novel. I was truly engaged and greatly informed.

If u are conversant with what happened during d war or what happens during and after wars, u will knw dat lot of people went missing without trace and some of dem ended up dead of with lost memories and what have u. D book in question I read in 2008 I was captivated by it den and still remain captivated any time I read it again.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by cnonyechi(f): 7:35pm On Apr 30, 2017
bukynkwuenu:

I don't think you know what It means to tell a story of the death of over 3millon people......she was lenient with the story........if you get a full version of it you will see y biafra will exit the marriage soon

I think u should say dats y biafra shouldn't be at all. Cos d call for d emancipation of Biafra was actually d cos. Before den d Igbos lived in peace and tranquillity.
My opinion though
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by cnonyechi(f): 7:36pm On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
Am glad this Piece made front page. Anyway, my question is this. why is at that all these years no effort has been made towards reconciliation why?

Reconciliation between who and who
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:41pm On Apr 30, 2017
Did you read the post?

Kingspin:
Unfortunately not everybody like half truth. But is good we say the truth all the time. Sorry if the truth is not in your side and accepting it will be a step forward.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:42pm On Apr 30, 2017
Answer that question by yourself biko

cnonyechi:

Reconciliation between who and who
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:44pm On Apr 30, 2017
You have no idea because you dont read your history. Do you know what led to the war in the first place?

cnonyechi:

I think u should say dats y biafra shouldn't be at all. Cos d call for d emancipation of Biafra was actually d cos. Before den d Igbos lived in peace and tranquillity.
My opinion though
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by oyalunasamuel(m): 7:49pm On Apr 30, 2017
you are right. I will never read any of her books again for this reason. I dont want anything stressing my emotions. But for God sake, i kept wondering how could she ever do that. lol... Honestly its a very beautiful book. and I feel the history should be told.

Joey82:
Op
There's this thing with all Adichies books that I've read, from purple hibiscus to half of a yellow sun and Americana. They never end well. She leaves u with a lump under ur throat, u forever keep wondering what happened next, always one mystery that remains unraveled and u hear wishing to see to be continued at the last page but it's sadly the end. I think Alicia needs to learn how to end her stories better.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by dmltoyin(m): 8:24pm On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
The war ending itself was a happy ending, its marked the end of tragedy and starvation.

yeah, true
But it left scars in the heart of people
People lost their loveed ones, lost valuables and properties they have worked hard to acquire.
It is still a tragedy till today to people who lost irredeemable things.

The remains of that civil war is kindaff regenerating thats why some set of ppl are still agitating for what caused the war back then (what they refer to as their right to freedom)

My thoughts
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by emperordelis(m): 9:16pm On Apr 30, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
I hate reading fiction novels because most times the writer toil with the emotions of the reader with suspense, tragedy and grey endings. So my friends got my a Book by Chimamanda, Half of a Yellow sun. Of course before now, i have read several books on the rise and fall of the Biafran State, my favourite was Chinua Achebe "There was a country". For some reasons however, i avoided Half Of A Yellow Sun. until i got it as a gift and I could not close the book until i finished reading it
The author was very cruel, i asked myself if she ever took it into consideration that its humans with emotions who read the book and not robots. Of course i totally understand the tragedy of war stories but this is different.
In the book I shed tears when Kainene brought the news that Ugwu had died. It was much easier for me to deal with it -after all its one of many war sad tragedy tales- until i read the part that he survived and i felt thankful. Other characters that died like Eberechi, Okeoma felt normal to me even if i felt sad what made me really upset was how the book ended without writing what exactly happened to Kainene. I felt she was mean and not fair, at least the novel was filled with so many tragedy, an happy ending would not have been a bad idea or even if Kainene had die everyone would know exactly how the story ended and mourn her death or something. The pictures were so vivid that certain characters remained constant to me and Kainene was just like Olanna, Odenigbo, Richard and Ugwu. I think proper sending has to be written at least to satisfy my curiosity of what ever may have happened to Kainene.
Am aware lots of people got missing during the war in correlation with the vivid picture Chimamanda painted but why Kainene?
Anyway, This is such an evocative and poetic novel. The language, the story, the characters, the setting—this is nearly a perfect novel. I was truly engaged and greatly informed.
write your own book
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by bukynkwuenu: 11:04pm On Apr 30, 2017
cnonyechi:

My opinion though

it's Good your opinion.....but the 3million people die for a cause.....wich is not yet achieved until their is biafra....d 3million died for nothing and the igbos will be cowards...... kainene will get rest soon..... RIP
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Kingspin(m): 3:35am On May 01, 2017
oyalunasamuel:
Did you read the post?

Did you understand the whole story?
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by glossy6(f): 9:35am On May 02, 2017
donproject:

I'm very sure I can quote you without infraction...

Don't be so sure to call anyone a kid, there is chronological age and there is mental age. Those who behave like kids to you might be in your age bracket.

I meant no harm...

Warned! Not to be quoted

Are you referring to my mention or my signature? Well, if you are referring to my signature, whether chronological age or mental age, I find it difficult relating with kids.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by MDCCCXXXII: 3:23pm On May 02, 2017
padiga047:

1)if Adewale 's version of the Biafran war was what you describe as lucid, then you need to check your dictionary for the meaning of the word lucid.
I'm sure you have no idea what you're talking about, that's why you decide to consult nonsense to console yourself.

2)A Major is a soldier, Adewale was a never a platoon or even a brigade commander, he was a mere servant who obeyed instructions.
A mere servant? A major isn't a soldier? What manner of nonsense are you spewing? Honestly, you're starting to show signs of delusions because if a Major isn't a soldier, then I believe you're a nonentity cos you just proved you know nothing about the military.

3)Adewale fought in the Nigerian liberation army as a subordinate to lieutenant. Col. Banjo. He was not one of the major decision takers or an inner caucus member.
LMAO! Again you show you know nothing, like absolutely nothing. A man you said isn't a soldier how can he now be a subordinate to a soldier? Does it make sense to you?

4)Tell me another set of people who suffered starvation, mass genocide and sheer brutality during the war(smh)
The minority groups who occupy the south south part of Nigeria.

5)Go and do your research.

6)Ignoramus.
From the above I believe you're the one who need to do proper research cos you've shown you know absolutely nothing and your ignorance stinks more than the faeces of an Infant child.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 02, 2017
glossy6:

Are you referring to my mention or my signature? Well, if you are referring to my signature, whether chronological age or mental age, I find it difficult relating with kids.

don't think I'm a kid trying to get attention. But I want to know why you could say such, that is what I hate to like about you ladies.
Re: My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? by glossy6(f): 10:31am On May 04, 2017
donproject:

don't think I'm a kid trying to get attention. But I want to know why you could say such, that is what I hate to like about you ladies.

Do you have problems understand English? Where did I refer to you as an attention seeking kid?

Well, we have kids in this forum, whether chronological or not and I am unwilling to be dragged into controversy with them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hacked:romance And Action Novel / Which Book Changed Your Life? / Make money in dollars On Amazon Kdp Make Money Online Everyday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.