Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? (14454 Views)

Has Cargo Tracking Note; Ctn Been Cancelled? / Ctn Cargo Tracking Notes (ctn) / Cargo Tracking Notes For Nigeria - New Regulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 5:43pm On Jan 06, 2010
We have received notification from the Nigerian Port Authority of a requirement for a Cargo tracking note by Nigerian authorities. We understand this is effective from a bill of lading date of 11th January, 2010

any body have any insight ?
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by justyinka(m): 4:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
CARGO TRACKING NOTE (CTN)
Please note a Cargo Tracking Note [CTN] will be required for all cargo to Nigeria.
The implementation date is still being debated by officials. A meeting will be held to confirm the effective date on 14/01/10. Details of their intention are as follows:
Type
A Cargo Tracking Note [CTN] / Bordereau de Suivi de Cargaison [BSC] must be obtained at the port of load [POL]. This is mandated by the Federal Executive Council and imposed by the Nigerian Port Authority [NPA] as part of procedure for cargo security and safety. This regulation was officially announced in the Nigerian press on the 31/1209.
The CTN/BSC is applicable for import/export cargo. Thus all cargo loaded or unloaded at any Nigerian port has, prior to shipment, to obtain a CTN from Nigerian Port Authorities [NPA] or any of its representatives at port of loading.
Responsibilities  and cost
The responsibility relating to the issuance of the CTN/BSC and all costs is with theshipper.
Documentation Requirements
You must ensure that the CTN/BSC reference number is indicated clearly on the B/L and on the cargo manifest. If this number is missing you will be liable to a penalty fine.

Abolaji yinka
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 2:38pm On Jan 18, 2010
We have been given notice that this CTN mandate goes into effect for all Bills of lading produced / detailed onto any cargo entering into or leaving Nigeria as of March 1st. 2010.

This will hurt the smaller end users in this industry - anyone feel like discussing if this money will ever make it back to infrastructure development in the port areas.

About (2) years ago I was advised that Maersk is undertaking an advanced rail system development from Ghana to Nigeria. Maybe this will assist the Nigerian rail work needed.

Any takers any thoughts on if this money will be used properly?
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 2:42pm On Jan 18, 2010
as listed by OTAL:

Please note we can confirm that a Cargo Tracking Note [CTN] will be required for all cargo to/from Nigeria effective 11/01/10. According to the Nigerian Port Authority [NPA] there will be no penalties on any cargo arriving without a CTN before 01/03/10.

Type

A Cargo Tracking Note [CTN] / Bordereau de Suivi de Cargaison [BSC] must be obtained at the port of load [POL]. This is mandated by the Federal Executive Council and imposed by the Nigerian Port Authority [NPA] as part of procedure for cargo security and safety.

The CTN/BSC is applicable for import/export cargo. Thus all cargo loaded or unloaded at any Nigerian port has, prior to shipment, to obtain a CTN form. [Click here to view an example.]

A CTN/BSC form can be obtained from TPMS Antaser Afrique who are the official managing agents:

Transport and Ports Management System Ltd (TPMS) Antaser Afrique

International Operation Office

Duboisstraat 46

2060 Antwerp

Belgium

Tel: (32) 382 70 700

Fax: (32) 382 70 600

E-mail: international.ctn.nigeria@tpms-antaser.com

Click here for a global list of agents.

Nigerian Ports Authorities

E-mail: infor@nigerianports.org

Responsibilities & Cost
The responsibility relating to the issuance of the CTN/BSC and all costs is with the shipper.

Documentation Requirements
You must ensure that the CTN/BSC reference number is indicated clearly on the B/L and on the cargo manifest. If this number is missing you may be liable to a penalty fine.

If you have any further questions please direct these to our local agency:

CMA-CGM DELMAS Nigeria Limited

26 Creek Road
PMB 1185 Box 235

Lagos

Phone: (+234) 80 37177094 / 80 33931286
Fax: (+234) 15875552
Email: lgs.rononiwu@african-agency.com / lgs.aobagidi@african-agency.com
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by isolo: 3:24am On Jan 24, 2010
I want to explain that the CTN will still be required after 11/1/2010 but before 1/3/2010 there will be no penalty. This means that if a cargo arrives at Lagos after 11/1/2010, then there will be no penalty but you still have to get the CTN from the port of loading. You still have to pay warehousing and storage charges before 1/3/2010. They will only waive the penalties until 1/3/2010, after that peanlties will start to be imposed in addition to the storage and warehousing fees.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by okuba: 3:09pm On Jan 29, 2010
Is this on or not? It is a lot of money!

==========================================================
NIGERIA – Procedures Cargo Tracking Notes (CTN) In China
In accordance with the Nigerian Federal Executive Council’s decision of December 9th 2009, every
shipment to Nigeria has to be covered by a CTN issued at the loading port as from January 11th 2010
(B/L date).
The shipper or his forwarders should complete the attached Excel document and sent per email to
the local representative for control. A copy of the corresponding B/L should be attached for Roroand
conventional shipments. Incomplete CTN will be refused, so, also BL‐number, freight details,
cargo value, date of issuance, … are compulsory.
After control, the validated CTN will be kept at the disposal of the shipper against payment of
following charges:
1/ delivery of the CTN: ∙
USD 205.00 ‐ for shipments from other continents
2/ tariff per mode of shipment:
FCL: USD170.00 / 20’ teu & USD255.00 / 40’ teu
Roro: USD85.00 ‐ per vehicle up to 5 ton unit weight
USD170.00 ‐ per vehicle over 5 ton unit weight
These tariffs are applicable for every chassis number mentioned on the B/L.
Conventional shipments: USD8.50 wm (minimum USD85.00‐ per CTN)
Consolidated cargo/LCL: USD8.50 wm (minimum USD85.00 ‐ per CTN) – one CTN to be issued
per individual LCL‐parcel.
3/administration fee: USD55.00 per CTN
The CTN should always be issued upon shipment at the loading ports – regularization at destination
will not be possible.
At destination, Nigerian Ports Authority or its representative will inspect each and every shipment on
the existence of a corresponding CTN.
For any further information, you’re requested to contact the station nearest to your office.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by importer: 5:25pm On Feb 04, 2010
First of all I would like to know the use of Cargo Tracking Note, why it is necessary to obtain it ? what type of cargo security will be provided ?
The CTN is not that will be obtained Free of Charge, All the importer / exporter should pay the charge for that per container / per bill of lading.
indirectly those chages will be put on the head of common man by increasing the value of comodity.
So is it reasonable to make things more expensive and complecated by using the systems which does not have any clearifications
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by okuba: 5:42pm On Feb 04, 2010
nope. this is a very expensive certificate.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by EVERWIN(m): 2:34am On Feb 06, 2010
This CTNS is a new and unnecessary procedure in the name of "to have more cargo and safety in shipping".

The real deal is to heavely fill up the pockets from a few in NFG and the small Ltd. from a few people in europe.

The grimaldi terminal in naija is a safe place and thats why importers don't need this note.

Dhr.Gijsels and Dhr.Janssens and one rep. of Benin guy (inventers of the CTN) hit the jackpot now by collaborating with naija government, they will soon reach the forbes list with issuing useless papers.

Not to forget Van Tichelen F. and Somogyi S., the runner and his booky. Five people that are going to eat billions from all over the world for having friends in NPA, FEC,,

They even broadcast that they will reach several millions of euros in a short period of time.

This small players target high and hit the bullseye "NFG" and start singing NAIJA MONEY NAIJA MONEY NON STOP. Give me a T and H and I and E and F and S, thank you.

Poor Nigerian Federal Government (FEC), they are misled easely becos they were searching a way to get their revenue that is legally theirs but never remitted by shipping agents.

Exporters don't have to pay much in the upstart fase, but later when they change rates it will cut off the last breath of naija export.

Importers start paying from 50euro till 2500euro or more depending on bulk/grouping + observations.

This will eat the already small profitmarge for importers of units and bulk. Still, importers will face; bribe customs and clearing, and see me cost.

In general it will slow down imports and later it will stop exports.

It will boost smuggling to unbelievable hights and so will NFG loose more money by lower importbiz and employement that they before plan to take with the ICTN system.

By the way this system have a weak point and there is a way that you don't have to arrange a note.

Its something like the cotonou-Lagos system, maybe I'm going to sell it in future.

End of part one
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by EVERWIN(m): 2:38am On Feb 06, 2010
CTNS is a devilish system to generate revenue that will not reach the right hand fully.

I understand the view from NFG, that all this years the shipping agents all over the world chopped their revenue by not remitting monies to NPA, that they collect illegally from their clients.

This note was NFG reply on this and not to bring shipping agents to court becos they can not face them. But why designate 1 petite Ltd. for the whole world, and not more?

Why the NFG don't organized a public hearing or debates.

As a social believer, I thinlk that all money have to share equally to all people and government. All people eat moi-moi equally. No poor, no rich.

You can do heavy profitable biz but not on the head of small people and share your profits you don't need.

I know how it go, I ran different shipping lines, accountancy, biz in europe-afrique-us-asia where this people combined not have. I never misused power. I share to help people.

I love naija my inlaw country and want to make it OK, and Antwerp my base have to stay like it is.

Maybe His Exc. Dr. Goodluck Jonathan have to help to rethink and change the note to a more honest one.

Maybe something like this: Cancel the TPMS contract its still in the initial probation (how can a shipping agent (Otal?) that don't pay any monies to FG before, work as unique collector?),

then charge the shipping agents the 80% of the note and don't allow them to charge it to their customers.

If the agents don't follow the rules to remit the monies to FG, then ban them for shipping to Nigeria.

Use Naija embassies to produce the CTN, like visa system or choose traditional people from Antwerp (maybe me) to run it on minimum cost.

Then only 20% of the note have to be paid by the shipper.

End of part two
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by Fhemmmy: 2:50am On Feb 06, 2010
Nice information, thanx
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by docjuli(m): 10:16am On Mar 10, 2010
@ EVERWIN

Nice one.

, Maybe something like this: Cancel the TPMS contract its still in the initial probation (how can a shipping agent (Otal?) that don't pay any monies to FG before, work as unique collector?), ,

Is Otal a unique collector? Can you provide link to this info?
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by minisower: 8:07pm On Mar 23, 2010
Hello,anybody in the house with the latest information about this tracking notes? I hear its no more implimented.What's the situation now?
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by rahimy2k(m): 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2010
It is still being implemented but i think that the price has been reviewed downwards.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by docjuli(m): 3:04pm On Jun 30, 2010
Some Liner Bill of Ladings I have seen recently have CTN NOs in this format 10/HK/numbers (China: with HK representing Hong Kong I guess), 10/MY/numbers (Malaysia), NGZADURnumbers (Nigeria, South Africa, Durban then number) I think this should be the most appropriate format. It indicates the country of cargo discharge as well as country and city of origin of cargo.
Did you know that the controversial toxic container on board MV Maersk Nashville actually came with the much-touted CTN number?

Quoting Financial Vanguard:
Financial Vanguard learnt that the CTN number that was issued to the container which brought in the toxic materials and which were recorded as disused motor batteries, spare parts and refrigerators is 10/NL/0162

NL indicates Netherlands going by the port codes.

What is the use of the CTN?
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by awolols(m): 3:03am On Nov 21, 2010
CTN my foot, now I'm stuck with my stuffs in the US for that shit. the shpping company is demanding $417 for a stupid CTN meanwhile cost of shipping is $1,070. you can just imagine,
Whats the use anyway? Are they implementing it?
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by spitrapid: 11:47am On Dec 01, 2010
hi everyone, from what i gather. ctn is a way for the NPA to gather data and info about what comes into the country as well as improve the control they have over what comes in. u fill the form and declare your contents. the contents are verified and the info is sent to NPA even before your container is loaded on the vessel. 
about the cost, pls see links below

http://www.tpms-antaser.com/2010/?ETREMELY-URGENT-CIRCULAR-TO-ALL

http://www.tpms-antaser.com/2010/?Cost-and-procedure-of-Nigeria

dont pay any agent above what the website says.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by awolols(m): 12:40pm On Dec 01, 2010
from the info i got in the US yesterday, the CTN for Ro-Ro is $90 per vehicle
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 8:05pm On Dec 08, 2010
This monster has reared it's ugly head again, !
American Export Lines will ship your cargo at the most competitive rates and charge for a CTN (with no mark up).

One container steamship line is still shipping and allowing the customer to chose to either purchase a CTN or to sign a waiver - not to purhcase one.

Either way that one steamship line is still allowing it to proceed and be shipped.

anyone interested in more info contact AEL at JSTROZYK@AELSHIPPING.COM
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by Dakotavn: 12:16pm On Jan 14, 2011
Hi everybody,

My shipper is going to load one shipment to Lagos (Nigeria) & I am also suprised at what called "Cargo Tracking Note" & I am so confused. I have some questions, I hope to receive your advice soon.  smiley

1. Can you please advise the cost of applying CTN of 1 x 20'DC & 1 x 40'DC?

2. If the shipment already arrived at POD but we haven't provided them CTN, do they charge us any penalty?

3. Can we use the service of our agent (in case our shipper use HBL) because this can reduce the cost of transferring money from Vietnam to Nigeria?

4. In Cargo Tracking Note, we have to show Ocean freight/BAF/CAF, if we (forwarder) do this for our customer, which freight we have to show? Buying rate or Selling rate?

5. In MBL (in case our customer get MBL), do we have to show Ocean freight (buying rate)?

6. How long does it take to get Cargo Tracking Note?

I hope to receive your help & respone soon, thanks All!
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 1:51pm On Jan 14, 2011
Contact the location that you are purchasing your CTN's from - They will answer the majority of these questions.
Regarding the cost of CTN's , American Export Lines does not mark up our CTN cost. For now we are just suffering the loss of manpower and time to do them for free. But the customer (shipper) must pay us exactly what it costs us.

Per single unit ro / ro under 650 cft = $100.00 USD
Per single unit 20 ft cntr = $100.00 USD
Per single unit 40 cntr = $175.00 USD

** One container steamship line is allowing "NO CTN" as an option - but any problems and you are on your own - per the steamship line. **

As far as if a shipment arrives into Nigeria without a CTN (and if a problem occurs ) - My understanding is that the cargo may be held until a CTN is produced. Takes about 3 days. The only fines that would incur to the cargo are related to demurrage that might be owed from late clearing out of the terminal. The true fines for shipping without a CTN are to be bourne / absorbed by the actual steam ship line. The Steamship line is supposed to be mandating that each manifested unit not be loaded at point of origin unless it has an accompanied CTN.

Hope this helps.
American Ex - 30 years USA to Nigeria.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by Dakotavn: 1:32am On Jan 15, 2011
Dear Americanex,

Thanks for your respone.

This is the first time I have shipments to Nigeria so I need full information to advise our customer accordingly.
I can ask shipping line too but they just explain little. When I read information on internet, I found that this CTN very complicated & many people don't like it. And till now, our shipper know nothing about what is called "Cargo Tracking Note" & for the very first time I thought it doesn't cost money. smiley

Can you please advise if we have to show buying rate on Master B/L for all shipments importing into Nigeria?
I also heard what is called "FORM M". What is it & what is the use of it?

Thanks much for your help.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by Dakotavn: 2:42am On May 20, 2011
Dear all,

I am making Cargo Tracking Note for one shipment to Nigeria.
Could you please advise me below thing?

- In CTN, we have to show all freight charges, in Form M - I also saw the freight charges and I wonder if we have to write the same number like form M?

Thanks all.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 1:05pm On May 20, 2011
We fill out a form that is supplied to us by AfricaCTN-USA. On that form we "do" declare the Ocean Freight costs.
Then we receive back from AfricaCTN-USA our CTN number specific to the shipment.
The CTN number is required on the ships manifest.
The CTN should be placed on the OBL's (since it is legitimate) .
This company AfricaCTN-USA then sends the true original hard copy CTN certificate to American Export Lines. We match them to our Original bills of lading and they are sent out as a complete package.

One thing to remember is that the NPA then has access to the values of your cargo (in their computer system) as you declared it originally. THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE CTN. TO TRY AND PREVENT "HAND TO HAND" BUSINESS NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE WORKERS AT NPA and TO NIGERIAN CUSTOMS.

This way the upper political system gets their "fair share - too"

Tough place to do business shocked

So be diligent explaining the value of your cargo to your freight forwarder. The values you declare here in the USA may now be known by the Nigerian Customs / NPA workers because of the CTN.
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by jarkbauer: 6:14pm On Oct 11, 2011
Cargo Tracking Note is hereby abolished
Re: Cargo Tracking Notes In Nigeria ? by AMERICANEX(m): 6:46pm On Oct 11, 2011
who died and left you king ?

I hope you are correct. I am sick of explaining it and charging my customers for it, makes you feel part of the machine instead of a company assisting its customers.

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Direct Tokunbo Engines And Gearbox For Your Toyota And Lexus Vehicles / Car Suspension: 7 Indicators That Your Car Has Suspension Problems / What To Do When Robbers Want To Take Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.