Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? (2136 Views)

Meet The Wealthiest Woman In America, Who Slept At Night Holding a Gun / 'No Be Say I No Go Pay! They Go Flog Tire' T-shirt For Warri Schoolgirl, Success / Orji Joseph, MOUAU Graduate's Bricklayer Photos: "This Is Why I Slept In Class" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by AjalaJ(m): 12:24am On Apr 30, 2017
Interesting question! Made me think for quite some time.

Few examples:

I arrived at six.
Hmm.. sounds right.

I jogged at six.
Nah..that's weird.
I was jogging at six or I went to jog at six. Yup that's right.

So for verbs that refer to a prolonged activity, the past tense should have a period/duration qualifier and not a point in time.

That is why I can say, I slept through the day.
But not I slept at six.

Edit:

I went to sleep at six.

"Sleep" here is more of a noun than a verb, as in the sentence "I went to bed at 6" . It acts a state of being rather than an action. The verb in this sentence is "went".

P.S: I am one of those non-native English speakers who used the same phrase ..till I read this question.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-it-incorrect-to-say-I-slept-at-six-in-English

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by boboLIL(m): 12:37am On Apr 30, 2017
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by ituglobal(m): 4:34am On Apr 30, 2017
It's obvious that we can never fully master English language, and we'll be learners forever. Even in our native languages, we make lots of grammatical blunders without knowing it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by hernandson(m): 7:16am On Apr 30, 2017
heheheh you will think English is simple until you have had F9 in waec many times,then you find out you don't even know all the rules of concord.
Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:39am On Apr 30, 2017
What I know is we don't and can never know the exact time we slept, you can only know when you woke
Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:40am On Apr 30, 2017
hernandson:
heheheh you will think English is simple until you have had F9 in waec many times,then you find out you don't even know all the rules of concord.
grin grin grin
Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by Onyenna(m): 8:42am On Apr 30, 2017
ituglobal:
It's obvious that we can never fully master English language, and we'll be learners forever. Even in our native languages, we make lots of grammatical blunders without knowing it.

Well, we can make blunders in our native languages without raising eyebrows.....BUT..... just say/type "i is here" and the whole Nairaland would "carry your matter on-top head".....lol....

I ain't perfect and truly, i don't really have to be.....We're yet to even master/perfect our local languages; talk more of a borrowed one.....But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best though....

Thanks OP.....Happy Sunday Y'all.....
Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by olenime(m): 12:43pm On Apr 30, 2017
I go sleep for six
Re: Why Is It Incorrect To Say "I Slept At Six." In English? by Fmartin(m): 9:43pm On Apr 30, 2017
u cn only go to bed at six. bt sleep is lyk a thief. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

How To Build A Successful Data Analyst Career / Wistar Albino Rats For Your Research And Project Works. / Can Google Really Tell The Difference Between Good And Bad Content?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.