Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,175 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? (8984 Views)

‘I Prefer Non-religious’: Why So Few US Politicians Come Out As Atheists / Why Do People Brand All Non-religious Fellows Here As Atheists? / Are We All Born As Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 8:58am On May 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

How can we say for sure that the brain images prove astral projection to be true ? What if experience is the only means for verification ?

Remember that astral projection is supposed to prove that consciousness can exist without the brain, hence, we should be expecting to see no extra brain activity while the person 'travels' in this double blind experiment.

The goal of this is that the person should be able to tell the contents of a board in another room that not even the tester knows about in order to to prove that astral projection is actually true.
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:02am On May 07, 2017
CoolUsername:

Remember that astral projection is supposed to prove that consciousness can exist without the brain, hence, we should be expecting to see no extra brain activity while the person 'travels' in this double blind experiment.

The goal of this is that the person should be able to tell the contents of a board in another room that not even the tester knows about in order to to prove that astral projection is actually true.

Do you know about multiple personality disorders ?
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 9:08am On May 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Do you know about multiple personality disorders ?

Yes, although I thought we were talking about astral projection.
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:18am On May 07, 2017
CoolUsername:

Yes, although I thought we were talking about astral projection.

In persons suffering MPD , two or more identities can coexist are the same time sharing the same level of consciousness as other identities . One can choose to see the spirit as a separate identity that takes a colossal level of consciousness while leaving the material mind with a lower level of consciousness . The point is : there could be brain activity showing a somewhat level of consciousness when someone astral projects . I mean astral projection is not some kind of activity that would put the brain in abeyance like you presumed . Precis : you could be wrong about your perception of astral projection and brain activity .
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 9:24am On May 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

In persons suffering MPD , two or more identities can coexist are the same time sharing the same level of consciousness as other identities . One can choose to see the spirit as a separate identity that takes a colossal level of consciousness while leaving the material mind with a lower level of consciousness . The point is : there could be brain activity showing a somewhat level of consciousness when someone astral projects . I mean astral projection is not some kind of activity that would put the brain in abeyance like you presumed . Precis : you could be wrong about your perception of astral projection and brain activity .

The most important result of the experiment is for astral projection to pass a double blind test. We can then go into the nitty-gritty details later.
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:54am On May 07, 2017
CoolUsername:

The most important result of the experiment is for astral projection to pass a double blind test. We can then go into the nitty-gritty details later.

Well till then . But while we wait , let's take a look other documented causes that suggest that spirits (immaterial minds and bodies ) exists . Shall we ?
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 11:05am On May 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Well till then . But while we wait , let's take a look other documented causes that suggest that spirits (immaterial minds and bodies ) exists . Shall we ?

So, we are agreeing that astral protection cannot be claimed as a fact for lack of evidence, right?

1 Like

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:59pm On May 07, 2017
CoolUsername:

So, were are agreeing that astral protection cannot be claimed as a fact for lack of evidence, right?

Lack of evidence ? Because science cannot explain a particular phenomenon means there is no evidence for it ?

CoolUsername ladies and gentlemen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 5:26pm On May 07, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Lack of evidence ? Because science cannot explain a particular phenomenon means there is no evidence for it ?

CoolUsername ladies and gentlemen

You were asked to provide empirical evidence. You're the one who failed to do that.
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:37am On May 10, 2017
CoolUsername:

You were asked to provide empirical evidence. You're the one who failed to do that.

There are empirical evidences for haunted houses , should we scrutinize them ? You ready ?
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:21pm On May 10, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

There are empirical evidences for haunted houses , should we scrutinize them ? You ready ?

CoolUsername , this will take time . Can I use idealism to defend the existence of unembodied minds ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:00pm On May 14, 2017
grin
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:21pm On May 21, 2017
cc : lalasticlala wink
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:41pm On May 28, 2017
cool
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:19pm On May 28, 2017
More contributions please .
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by MrPresident1: 10:12pm On May 29, 2017
Implicit atheism ko, implicit idiocy ni angry
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:10pm On May 30, 2017
MrPresident1:
Implicit atheism ko, implicit idiocy ni angry

Oga sir . I dey hail oo

Na implicit theism sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:51pm On Jun 04, 2017
More contributions please
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:06pm On Jun 04, 2017
grin
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:52pm On Jun 04, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Here it is Johnydon22 , coolusername took of before we even got started .

KingEbukasBlog:

Here are significant attributes of God : immaterial and non physical . How can you see something immaterial and non physical ? Are you suggesting empiricism ? That knowledge can only be gotten through sensory experience . But our senses are fallible . And can anything which exists in our world and every possible world be known to us ONLY through our senses ? I think you are making a tentative conclusion here . But if you insist on gaining knowledge of God's existence through sensory experience then George Berkeley's Esse Est Percepi ( To be is to be perceived ) should suffice . The argument goes :

1. We perceive ordinary objects
2. We perceive only ideas.
3. Therefore , ordinary objects are ideas.

The only two things that exist according to George are minds and their ideas . And ideas are mind-independent , they are passive and causally impotent . So what could cause the existence of minds ? An eternal mind . Boom ! God's existence proven through sensory experience . And we can 'materialize' mathematical/abstract objects because they are ideas in God's mind

What about rationalism ? Knowledge can be gotten only through reason . Deists and theists alike obtained the knowledge about God's existence through reason . I gave you 7 logical and indubitably irrefutable reasons to acknowledge the existence of God . And they are ETERNALLY tenable since God's existence is true .

1 Like

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 9:22pm On Jun 04, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Here it is Johnydon22 , coolusername took of before we even got started .

Ok, so I looked at the argument, but it still makes the same slippery assumption that you always make. How can an idea be mind independent?

I would also like to understand your writing definition of an 'idea'.
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:39pm On Jun 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

Ok, so I looked at the argument, but it still makes the same slippery assumption that you always make. How can an idea be mind independent?

Sorry mind-dependent . Thanks for pointing that out

I would also like to understand your writing definition of an 'idea'.

Perceptions , opinions , beliefs , thoughts about anything concrete or abstract . Like I described abstract objects as ideas in God's mind .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 10:16pm On Jun 04, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Sorry mind-dependent . Thanks for pointing that out

Perceptions , opinions , beliefs , thoughts about anything concrete or abstract . Like I described abstract objects as ideas in God's mind .

I feel that the premise of the argument is flawed in the sense that it equates the reality of ideas with that of physical objects. How real is the concept of something like love in comparison to a ball?
Does thinking about something make it real? Can Spiderman then be considered real since it is an idea from the mind of Stan Lee?
If your concept of what is 'real' encompasses both Spiderman and actual people into its definition, what them isn't 'real'?
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:23pm On Jun 04, 2017
CoolUsername:

I feel that the premise of the argument is flawed in the sense that it equates the reality of ideas with that of physical objects. How real is the concept of something like love in comparison to a ball?
Does thinking about something make it real? Can Spiderman then be considered real since it is an idea from the mind of Stan Lee?
If your concept of what is 'real' encompasses both Spiderman and actual people into its definition, what them isn't 'real'?

Good question . It is a popular objection to George's idealism : how can we tell the difference between real and things that are imaginary . I was expecting that anyway .

Imaginary things depend on our will as humans . They exist because we want them to exist . If Stan Lee hadn't thought of Spider Man , there wouldn't have been a Spider Man . Things that are real are made up of only ideas of sense. And ideas of sense follow laws of nature . The salient feature of anything real is that it has order and occur in regular patterns . We perceive real things because of their order and coherence but our minds can create imaginary objects .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 12:45am On Jun 05, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:
Good question . It is a popular objection to George's idealism : how can we tell the difference between real and things that are imaginary . I was expecting that anyway . Imaginary things depend on our will as humans . They exist because we want them to exist . If Stan Lee hadn't thought of Spider Man , there wouldn't have been a Spider Man . Things that are real are made up of only ideas of sense. And ideas of sense follow laws of nature . The salient feature of anything real is that it has order and occur in regular patterns . We perceive real things because of their order and coherence but our minds can create imaginary objects .
I don't think I can get behind this logic, before the invention of the microscope, there was no sensory information on microbes. That wouldn't have stopped them from existing, would it? Evolutionarily speaking, are we going to say that the Universe didn't exist until humans developed brains capable of thinking? That's completely illogical. Without perception the only thing missing is our own subjective knowledge/experience of an object or idea. I think Berkeley's assertion falls into the same problem that most ontologies fall into, in that they don't add new information to an argument.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:44am On Jun 05, 2017
CoolUsername:
I don't think I can get behind this logic, before the invention of the microscope, there was no sensory information on microbes. That wouldn't have stopped them from existing, would it? Evolutionarily speaking, are we going to say that the Universe didn't exist until humans developed brains capable of thinking? That's completely illogical. Without perception the only thing missing is our own subjective knowledge/experience of an object or idea. I think Berkeley's assertion falls into the same problem that most ontologies fall into, in that they don't add new information to an argument.

King Ebuka : And there's where God comes in , the ultimate perceiver of all things , a divine mind which exists eternally and sustains everything we perceive . And even if we are not there to perceive these things that existed before us , the mind of God is there to perceive them . All realities are created and perceived in the mind of God . (To be is to be perceived )

You didn't see this coming , did you?

CoolUsername :

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by CoolUsername: 10:05am On Jun 05, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

King Ebuka : And there's where God comes in , the ultimate perceiver of all things , a divine mind which exists eternally and sustains everything we perceive . And even if we are not there to perceive these things that existed before us , the mind of God is there to perceive them . All realities are created and perceived in the mind of God . (To be is to be perceived )

CoolUsername :

Let's not get ahead ourselves, here. First, you haven't accounted for how perception impacts reality in anyway.

Secondly, by your own logic, God can't possibly exist, as there would have been nothing to perceive it before the creation of reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by johnydon22(m): 1:13pm On Jun 05, 2017
CoolUsername:

Let's not get ahead ourselves, here. First, you haven't accounted for how perception impacts reality in anyway.

Secondly, by your own logic, God can't possibly exist, as there would have been nothing to perceive it before the creation of reality.

smiley nice
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by johnydon22(m): 1:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

CoolUsername :

for once argue without being petty
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:55pm On Jun 05, 2017
johnydon22:

smiley nice

God is eternal ?
Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:55pm On Jun 05, 2017
CoolUsername:

God is eternal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Introducing Implicit Theism : So You Think We Were Born As Atheists ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:56pm On Jun 05, 2017
johnydon22:

for once argue without being petty

Come on , that was funny grin . A little chuckle won't hurt

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophecies For 2012 By Pastor E. A. Adeboye (rccg) / Quran 5:101. We Need Answers! / I Wake Up And Have Body Marks, No Clue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.