Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,520 members, 7,954,972 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:27 PM

Just How Tough Are You ? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Just How Tough Are You ? (1044 Views)

Fed Govt Goes Tough On Visa Issuance To Stop Terrorists / Canada’s New Immigration Policy Getting Tough For Foreign Students / For Nigerian Illegals In The Netherlands, It Is A Tough And Risky Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just How Tough Are You ? by OgidiBoy(m): 3:14am On Jan 07, 2010
Will you board a plane if the guy setting next to you in the waiting room to board the same plane was reading the Holy Quran ?
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by Nobody: 7:14am On Jan 07, 2010
Yes ooooooo! Notin d Happen,
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jan 07, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Will you board a plane if the guy setting next to you in the waiting room to board the same plane was reading the Holy Quran ?

Yes, I would. How many terrorists look obvious to anyone else?

It's usually what / who you don't see that blows your brains out!
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by jaybee3(m): 9:16pm On Jan 07, 2010
na wa oh. so everyone dat recites the quran is now a potential terrorist. ignorance at the highest order
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by chika98: 9:42pm On Jan 07, 2010
Ogidi boy surely you are smarter than this
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jan 07, 2010
lol!
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by OgidiBoy(m): 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2010
chika98:

Ogidi boy surely you are smarter than this

Sure I am, but won't you be a little bit worried if the dude was reading the Quran and chanting Allah is great in Quran before the flight takes off. shocked
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by flekan(m): 1:31am On Jan 08, 2010
OgidiBoy:

Sure I am, but won't you be a little bit worried if the dude was reading the Quran and chanting Allah is great in Quran before the flight takes off. shocked

So, what your trying to say is that the dude chanting ''Allah is great in Quran'' means he's gonna blow up the plane. You ppl need to get off yaself with this mutallab of a guy thing. It's making ya look like a dullard
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by Nobody: 1:35am On Jan 08, 2010
He has a point though, obviously not all muslims are terrorists and I hate to generalize but sometimes one can't help but feel weary, what, with all these terrorist attacks occuring, it's almost like an instinct.

Islamaphobia, I believe I had this for quite some time after the bomb attacks in London, I couldn't help it.

Please, nobody take offence.
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by oyinda3(f): 1:36am On Jan 08, 2010
OgidiBoy:

lollol that's definitely a bit unnerving
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by TOPE20001(f): 1:38am On Jan 08, 2010
ibkaye:

He has a point though, obviously not all muslims are terrorists and I hate to generalize but sometimes one can't help but feel weary, what, with all these terrorist attacks occuring, it's almost like an instinct.

Islamaphobia, I believe I had this for quite some time after the bomb attacks in London, I couldn't help it.

Please, nobody take offence.

You said it best . . . . . i swear if i see a man with long beard, carrying a bag, to make matter worse reading a quran . . . . . i swear i go run grin no offence o
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by Nobody: 1:58am On Jan 08, 2010
TOPE2000!:

You said it best . . . . . i swear if i see a man with long beard, carrying a bag, to make matter worse reading a quran . . . . . i swear i go run grin no offence o
LOL, I'm with you on that, it just couldn't be helped cheesy
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by flekan(m): 2:02am On Jan 08, 2010
^^ Why ya all saying no offence. Lol grin
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by OgidiBoy(m): 2:03am On Jan 08, 2010
6 Islamic clerics kicked off airplane settle civil rights lawsuit
Posted:  10/21/2009 1:20 AM
More News >>

Nearly three years after the man in Row 25 of the U.S. Airways flight jotted his concerns about six "suspicious Arabic men" on a piece of paper and handed it to a flight attendant, the legal battle spawned by the note is over.

Six Muslim imams kicked off a U.S. Airways flight at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, detained and then released have settled their federal civil rights suit against the airline, the public commission that runs the airport and the FBI.

The settlement was reached after a court-ordered negotiating session that lasted more than seven hours Monday at the federal courthouse in St. Paul. Its terms are confidential and will remain so even after the document is finalized and filed with the court, lawyers in the case said.

The settlement left neither side declaring outright victory, just relief.

"We're glad it is finally resolved," said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the  Council on American-Islamic Relations, which represented the imams, or prayer leaders. "I can't give any details other than to say the case was resolved to the satisfaction of all parties and we view it as a victory for justice and civil rights."

"We're just confirming the settlement. We're not going to comment," said Valerie Wunder, a spokesman for U.S. Airways.

The Metropolitan Airports Commission issued a statement saying its officers "did what they believed was appropriate to ensure the safety of travelers based on the information available at the

time."
The statement also said the commission's insurance company settled on MAC's behalf.

The plaintiffs and defendants engaged the talents of 12 lawyers in five states, from New York to California.

The imams claimed they had been discriminated against by the airline and airport police caught up in a post-9/11 fervor that targeted people who appeared to be Muslims of Middle Eastern descent. In response, lawyers for the airline and airports commission said their employees acted appropriately.

In January, the U.S. Department of Transportation said that while the airline's decision to kick the imams off the plane "could be perceived by some as discriminatory in this circumstance," the agency believed the decision was reasonable "based on information available to the captain at the time."

But Mike McCombie, the California man whose note to a flight attendant led to the incident, said, "When they took them off the plane, I was kind of surprised. From what I saw, I don't think that would warrant being taken off the plane. I wasn't concerned in what I saw, in and of itself."

McCombie, who was not a party to the suit, said, "I never had the impression that, 'Oh, my gosh, there's some sort of imminent threat here.' "

In allowing the case to go to trial, U.S. District Judge Ann Montgomery said in July that "when a law enforcement officer exercises the power of the Sovereign over its citizens, she or he has the responsibility to operate within the bounds of the Constitution and cannot raise the specter of 9/11 as an absolute exception to that responsibility.

On the record before the court, no reasonable officer could have believed they could arrest plaintiffs without probable cause."

The suit stemmed from an incident on Nov. 20, 2006. The six imams were booked aboard U.S. Airways Flight 300 to Phoenix, returning home after attending a conference of the North American Imams Federation in Minneapolis.

The men were Omar Shahin, the federation's president and chair of the Arabic Department at the Arizona Cultural Academy; Ahmed Shqeirat, an imam at the Tempe Islamic Community Center; Didmar Faja, head of the Albanian American Islamic Center of Arizona; Marwan Sadeddin and Mahmoud Sulaiman, imams at the Islamic Community Center of Phoenix; and Mohamed Ibrahim, an imam in Bakersfield, Calif.

As they waited in the gate area before the flight boarded, four of the men recited Maghreb, the fourth of the five formal daily Muslim prayers. Maghreb comes just after sunset. The other two watched the group's luggage.

The men had passed through security without difficulty and had boarded the plane with no trouble. McCombie was one of the last to board, and once in his seat, he passed a note to a flight attendant saying the men were saying "Allah ,  Allah" and were "cursing U.S. involvement w/Saddam."

When the flight attendant gave McCombie's note to the flight's captain, John Howard Wood, he spoke with other flight attendants and U.S. Airways ground personnel and decided to have the men removed.

Wood said in an affidavit that his decision was based on McCombie's note, along with the fact that the men were seated throughout the cabin, a ploy allegedly used by hijackers in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Also, an airline employee had told the pilot that it appeared three of the men were traveling on one-way tickets and a flight attendant said two of the men had asked for seat-belt extenders.

As court filings later showed, though, the men had not picked their own seats; the airline had. All were traveling on round-trip tickets.

And Montgomery scoffed at the airline's notion of a seat-belt extender as a weapon, writing that "a sturdy belt with a large buckle" could be just as bad.

Agents with the FBI and the U.S. Secret Service questioned the imams. At 11:30 p.m., nearly six hours after they were supposed to have left on the flight, the imams were released from custody. No charges were filed.

The next morning, the imams tried booking seats on another U.S. Airways flight to Phoenix, but the airline turned them away.

The imams took a Northwest Airlines flight.

The following March, they sued.

http://m.twincities.com/twincities/db_11032/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=D47EBA94CECAA94BD7184C37F7287836?full=true&contentguid=XV8lute8&pn=1&ps=5
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by OAM4J: 10:08am On Jan 09, 2010
TOPE2000!:

I feel you too. Honestly since after 9/11 every time i found an Arab looking guy in a plane with me, I have to say a quick silent prayer 'Oluwa ma je ki n si oko wo' (Lord don't let me enter the wrong flight) grin
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by bluespice(f): 10:13am On Jan 09, 2010
TOPE2000!:

a man with long beard, carrying a bag, to make matter worse reading a quran . . . . .

That description meets more than 60% of the people i've flown with constantly in a four-year period post 9-11, post london bombings
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by Vicjustice: 2:25pm On Jan 10, 2010
Well, i must be honest to say this: last Tuesday (5th January), i boarded a train from Belfast Central to Dublin Connolly, and i found my comfortable seat in the middle coach. Without bothering to look at fellow travellers, i took my seat just two rows before some guys that i paid no attention to. As the journey progressed, i didn't realise that the 2 guys (who were sitting two rows) behind me were speaking an Asian language until i heard "al'lah akbar, alla'h akbar", the guys seemed to be giving praises to Al'lah pertaining something favourable. I turned to look at the guys, they were bearded and traditionally dressed and one was carrying a sort of traditional bag similar to those of hare Krishna. Oh my goodness, I've never been so frightened before by mere thoughts of the unknown possibilities, i thought i had to run away before bomb-blast prevents me from doing so. I wanted to be a little more polite in my action, but the fear was real there and delay could be dangerous; so, i took my mobile phone out of my pocket, and by pretending that i was talking to someone else in the train, i took my hand luggage and dashed out of the endangered couch to another coach at the far rear of the train: You know, in every bomb-blast news, we hear things like 12 people killed and 99 people injured, so, i thought if there would be a bomb-blast and if i must be affected, then let be among the injured howbeit, not severely
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by flekan(m): 3:51pm On Jan 10, 2010
Vicjustice:

Well, i must be honest to say this: last Tuesday (5th January), i boarded a train from Belfast Central to Dublin Connolly, and i found my comfortable seat in the middle coach. Without bothering to look at fellow travellers, i took my seat just two rows before some guys that i paid no attention to. As the journey progressed, i didn't realise that the 2 guys (who were sitting two rows) behind me were speaking an Asian language until i heard "al'lah akbar, alla'h akbar", the guys seemed to be giving praises to Al'lah pertaining something favourable. I turned to look at the guys, they were bearded and traditionally dressed and one was carrying a sort of traditional bag similar to those of hare Krishna. Oh my goodness, I've never been so frightened before by mere thoughts of the unknown possibilities, i thought i had to run away before bomb-blast prevents me from doing so. I wanted to be a little more polite in my action, but the fear was real there and delay could be dangerous; so, i took my mobile phone out of my pocket, and by pretending that i was talking to someone else in the train, i took my hand luggage and dashed out of the endangered couch to another coach at the far rear of the train: You know, in every bomb-blast news, we hear things like 12 people killed and 99 people injured, so, i thought if there would be a bomb-blast and if i must be affected, then let be among the injured howbeit, not severely

Lol! grin
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by juzme: 4:04pm On Jan 10, 2010
Vicjustice:

I have similar incident in a train and I have to move away from those guys. What is different here is that my intention of moving away was to make sure that my body is recognised if anything happen. grin
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by noblegas2(m): 5:57pm On Jan 10, 2010
OgidiBoy:

u are crazy and mad for starting dis ish!!!
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by invisible2(m): 7:53pm On Jan 10, 2010
You men of little faith, if he pulls out his own then you pull out ya bible and start reading.
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by OgidiBoy(m): 3:07am On Jan 12, 2010
noble_gas1:

u are crazy and mad for starting dis ish!!!

No offence pls sad
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:08am On Jan 12, 2010
on my way to Nigeria way back when i sat next to this Muslim (she sat on the left) woman and her husband sat behind her. and that never even crossed my mind. lol
Re: Just How Tough Are You ? by bluespice(f): 10:55pm On Jan 13, 2010
for real tho,
i honestly think this topic only fuels stereotype and racial hatred.

(1) (Reply)

Student Accommodation In India / Why Is My Topic Locked ? / Future Cities-see What The Cities Of The Future Will Look Like.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.