Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? (7165 Views)

Should I Accept Or Decline This Job Offer? / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. / How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 2:00pm On May 01, 2017
Years ago as a fresh graduate, i applied for the role of a merchandizer. I was invited for interview. I "googled" the word "merchandiser" and learnt that it was person who displays and sells things.

Ok, no problem. Displaying and selling things is not bad, so I thought.

The interview was going very well until I realized the job description involves wearing a branded shirt and cap, while moving with a vehicle and selling to passersby.

That's how I deliberately "shot myself in the foot" by saying my dream job was to be a seller at shoprite. grin

They thanked me for coming and I left happy.

Have you deliberately lost a job offer? Tell me your story.

1 Like

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Emmaesty(f): 7:20am On May 02, 2017
A few months back I was invited for an interview with a consulting firm.

Some minutes before I entered the interview room, I got a call from another consulting firm that I had been chosen and was supposed to resume that very day(a mail was sent the day before). At that very point in time, I was happy and a bit confused.

So I entered the interview room and deliberately said things that were not conventional like not liking to multi task, can't stand being idle, so the interview will end real quick. But at the end of it all, I spent an hour plus there!!!! !!

I resumed the next day at the other consulting firm though.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 10:38pm On May 04, 2017
Emmaesty:
A few months back I was invited for an interview with a consulting firm.

Some minutes before I entered the interview room, I got a call from another consulting firm that I had been chosen and was supposed to resume that very day(a mail was sent the day before). At that very point in time, I was happy and a bit confused.

So I entered the interview room and deliberately said things that were not conventional like not liking to multi task, can't stand being idle, so the interview will end real quick. But at the end of it all, I spent an hour plus there!!!! !!

I resumed the next day at the other consulting firm though.
Hahahaha. I understand. What if they offered you the job nko? grin
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Emmaesty(f): 10:42pm On May 04, 2017
nenergy:

Lol...... It didn't occur to me then sha. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush

1 Like

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by nenergy(m): 10:49pm On May 04, 2017
Emmaesty:
Lol...... It didn't occur to me then sha. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush
Thanks for sharing grin
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by geedeex2(m): 7:28am On May 05, 2017
Immediately after my service ,I got an offer in a reputable company but I knew I wanted more than an 8am to 6pm job because it will inhibit my development as a pianist cum organist .I rejected the offer .even though I didn't get paid as much as the job would have but I'm fulfilled and now into personal business .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Heromaniaa: 7:29am On May 05, 2017
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by brunofarad(m): 7:29am On May 05, 2017
Waiting for comments

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Nobody: 7:29am On May 05, 2017
Yup...I thought it was a scam...
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Lilaex: 7:29am On May 05, 2017
Vg
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by alegbeleye(m): 7:29am On May 05, 2017
My fVck is still missing, I can't give what I don't have.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by slawomir: 7:31am On May 05, 2017
I was about to when my uncle advise me not to do such thing
the thing was auchi poly gave me admission through jamb after the post ume exam, science laboratory tech and that same period uniben gave me a job with my waec result. office assistant. so I was a little bit confused and as a young boy I decided to ignore the uniben job for my education after all am still very young. so working is not important and moreover my uncle was a lecturer in auchi poly which means am not going to spend any money on shelter and food becaue he was financially bouyant. he owns a house and off campus hostel.
so I went to auchi with excitement to start my clearance. on getting to auchi I told him what happened about uniben. could you imagine my uncle was happy about that of uniben's job and he pleaded and advise me to go and accept the job. he said he has been a lecturer for years now that employment is never a sure thing for graduates. I should just go and accept the job then apply for part time.
I was very sad through out that day but I never new he gave me the best advice. so I went back to Benin and took the job after that I decided to forward my education as my uncle advised me. and they gave me computer science in uniben(part time). everything went smoothly. I was paying half of the school fee because that is what the law says. As a student and staff you pay half. and before I could say jack robbison the years rolled by with speed as a student and a staff . and my bsc was ready. that was when I now realize my uncle advise was very good because uniben wasted no time time to upgrade my salary and my level when I submitted my bsc.
thank you uncle. But it was not easy keeping my joystick because of all those beautiful and curvy uniben girls but I tried to concentrate and save money.

23 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by sisisioge: 7:31am On May 05, 2017
Yes, pay was lesser.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Xzbit91: 7:32am On May 05, 2017
I have nothing to say, just here to view the comments
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by alienvirus: 7:32am On May 05, 2017
I decided not to go for an interview because it was not exactly what i wanted. I am an IT infrastructure person but later discovered that the company needed a rigger.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by hardbody: 7:43am On May 05, 2017
nenergy:

I give every interview my best shot.

I was invited for an interview with fidelity Bank. While there, one telecoms company I had been engaging with invited me to come for my letter. Considering I met 19 other applicants at fidelity, i left to collect the other offer letter. The next day I got another text from fidelity again asking me to honour my interview appointment. I tried very much to shirk it but to no avail. I went home dressed up for that interview, same day I saw all the people I needed to see and saw the MD. Next day I took a day off from my employers and went to Benin for a pp. My phones were switched off. When I switched on later, text messages flooded my phone, congratulating me and asking me to come for my offer letter. Faced with both options, i consulted and chose the bank. From there my career moved on.

The telco later packed up, i had since moved from that bank to other jobs.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by delishpot: 7:43am On May 05, 2017
nenergy:
Years ago as a fresh graduate, i applied for the role of a merchandizer. I was invited for interview. I "googled" the word "merchandiser" and learnt that it was person who displays and sells things.

The interview was going very well until I realized the job description involves wearing a branded shirt and cap, while moving with a vehicle and selling to passersby.

That's how I deliberately "shot myself in the foot" by saying my dream job was to be a seller at shoprite. grin

Makes no sense. Why embarrass yourself when you can flaunt your skills and talent after which you tell them point blank that you don't find the job appealing or exciting enough for your person therefore, you would unfortunately have to decline the offer? I did that and got retained by the company to be on call as a freelancer when they need my help in specific area.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Mckayzee(m): 7:47am On May 05, 2017
Yes, contract job with a bank like that (don't want to mention names), Passed the interview stage, went for medicals, and was called to come for my offer letter but lied that I was leaving the country.

I knew I wouldn't feel fulfilled in anyway with the job as I needed an IT inclined job and I know all they had to offer was a behind-the-counter teller job.

Although I'm not exactly where I want yet, but I'm very much moving in that direction now, so I'm happy I did.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Libo45: 7:48am On May 05, 2017
My own case is the opposite. Went for an interview for a Maintenance Tech position. Was asked what I've been doing since after graduation. Told them I v a farm. Since I'd love to retire at 40 to farming I decided to start now that I v nothing doing. They asked more questions and I was too passionate about my farm. Just dey pour am anyhow. They invited me back after some minutes and said they'v unanimously agreed that their consciences would not permit them to restrain me from following my passion- farming. I just weak. Come dey gimme plenty unwanted advice. I'm grateful today anyways

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Roon9(m): 7:54am On May 05, 2017
Yup. 2months ago I got an invite for an interview from nairaland. Had to flunk it because it was in Ph Andi had to relocate + the pay wasn't really worth it. Still jobless tho undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by Nobody: 8:00am On May 05, 2017
Yes. I had a lot of opportunities to be a bus conductor with Akpuruka united busline, Ekene, Omemgbeoji transport ltd. I even rejected flight attendant jobs with BA, virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa.

I'm presently very happy being a bus conductor in a posh danfo VW bus working the Ajangbadi- mile 2 route. Less stress, more money... cool

3 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by kevoh(m): 8:01am On May 05, 2017
yes...
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by seunoni34(m): 8:01am On May 05, 2017
nenergy:

I've plunged severally. Most times because of pay, hr attitude, work intensity or distance.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by ringi82(m): 8:02am On May 05, 2017
Continu oo..

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by GoldenJAT(m): 8:11am On May 05, 2017
and u pple will b shouting no jobs upandan.mk owner continue
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by lonelydora: 8:14am On May 05, 2017
Went for Sapiem interview and got to find out what they were to pay was far below my current salary then. I told the Italian I can't work for them.
Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by KINGTELLER: 8:16am On May 05, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by NevetsIbot(m): 8:17am On May 05, 2017
Libo45:
My own case is the opposite. Went for an interview for a Maintenance Tech position. Was asked what I've been doing since after graduation. Told them I v a farm. Since I'd love to retire at 40 to farming I decided to start now that I v nothing doing. They asked more questions and I was too passionate about my farm. Just dey pour am anyhow. They invited me back after some minutes and said they'v unanimously agreed that their consciences would not permit them to restrain me from following my passion- farming. I just weak. Come dey gimme plenty unwanted advice. I'm grateful today anyways

7 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by MaziOmenuko: 8:17am On May 05, 2017
yea...down at PH, a recruiting firm conducted all necessary interviews for a firm they called their client who needed engineers for their oil servicing job. After being shortlisted for the job with 1 other guy, we were taken to the 'client' and it happened to fall far below my expectations. Was a firm selling engineering service equipment to firms. Would have giving it a second thought if they do installation/commissioning and repairs; they only do procurement/supply. The MD/CEO told me in the chat that they subcontract installation/repair services to other firms if need be.
I told him what they needed were marketers and not engineers. He said he preferred using engineers as marketers as he presumed that we would understand the machines better and would be able to communicate to clients. He had a point, but so early in my career, I wasn't going to venture into marketing; unless their was something tangible in it for me.

I was still dilly-dallying until I learnt what the man was offering as salary. I told him I would be the worst sales person as I lack passion, zeal and very difficult to motivate. Told him I was new to PH and hardly knew my way around. Worse still, that I didnt know how to drive.

You needed to see the look on this man's face. He just said no problem, that he would contact the agency to send in a new name.

Na him I waka comot with a smile on my face.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by she234: 8:25am On May 05, 2017
mine was a travel agency, I was being interviewed by an Indian and a nigerian. During the interview, I got really upset when one hungry looking H R told me I should look at their environment that therz A/C that they don't want someone that will come and be enjoying their A/C and office that won't work, lol. I said no problem.
The worst was when the Indian man told me that I would go to public places like Shoprite, airport, etc to distribute flyers and talk to people. He asked if I can do it, I said yeeeeees! but it depends on how much they are willing to pay for it, lol. The Indian man said why did I jump to money? I told him, we need to be realistic with ourselves, that the pay will motivate me to go anywhere they want me to.
I had to get up ask for my CV I earlier gave them and left. Guess because of my approach they were too scared to tell me the sick 40k they wanted to pay me to walk round Lagos distributing flyers.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Deliberately Lost A Job Offer? by ipreach: 8:26am On May 05, 2017
Please I need a job

I am a computer science graduate with some IT related field

(1) (2) (Reply)

U-connect Is Recruiting Operation Officers For A Leading Bank / IITA Recruitment For Graduate Audit Trainees / Help : Salary Scheme Of A Graduate In Nigerian Prisons Service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.