Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,046 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) (984 Views)

Who Have Used Infolinks Ads On Their Site Here / Bloggers Who Want To Get Paid For Post On Their Site / Do bloggers Make Money when people just visit their site? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by Copycracker(m): 11:26am On May 02, 2017
Okay, my first review in a while, and yes, I remember I said I was going to do video too.

Allow me first. I'm still looking for a perfect screen recording software. And by perfect, I mean FREE cheesy

DISCLAIMER: If I come across as a bit harsh, no vex o. I have a weird way of trying to be helpful cheesy . That, and I'm still making some of the mistakes I point out to you so naturally I'm still pissed angry

Anyway, so I went to techredirector.com as requested and hmmm....

How do I say this?

Guy, work full ground.

No Lie.

Let's begin:

One thing that usually is the last thing most people think about when building their website is the most important, but somehow easy to forget about.

That person is the user.

When I got to the site, well, I couldn't quite figure out what it was for.

I mean, it's obvious that it's a blog, but for whom?

Marinate on that for a minute... I'll go into more detail as we go on.

1. Design And Layout

First of all, I think it's great that anyone can simply use a CMS, build their website and start their blog out of the blue.

I love that kind of ginjah, so kudos on the blog design.

The theme is really clean and there's a lot of white space not cluttered with ads. This enhances comprehension and makes your site visually appealing.

Now on to the issues:

(i) No tagline

I love your logo, but the whole logo without the tagline is like a sachet of granulated sugar without the label.

I mean, we look at it, like "Hmm, that looks like salt".. "or is it?"

In real life, that's not really a problem. You can just walk over and taste it to tell the difference.

Online. That's another story.

There's a lot of distractions and the average user doesn't quite have time to figure out if your site has what he wants.

In a world with Big Daddy Google, when they can just click back and go to another site.

EVERY body goes to a website for a PARTICULAR REASON!

If you don't make it obvious what the purpose of your site is, and who it is for, your visitor will be confused and confused visitors do one of two things-

(a) LEAVE or,

(b) struggle through your site trying to understand what it is about and if you have what they want, and if you don't or if they get frustrated, they LEAVE.

Just like you would if you felt a supermarket you walked into didn't have the Gucci watch you were looking for.

Your tagline is a great place to make it clear who your site is for and what you offer.

And it's in a great part of your site- above the fold (the site that the user immediately sees without having to scroll)

Oga, bet why you no take advantage of am?

(ii) Featured Slider

I love featured sliders. They give your site this "tech" swag and you can use them to draw the visitor's attention.

Only sometimes they don't, which is what is happening on your site.

First of all, the coolest thing about featured sliders is you can basically use it to display content or copy (sorry.. big english) above the fold.

Yes, above the fold.

To see the content in some of the slides on your featured slider, I have to scroll down. And when I do, I see "BattleField 1 Game Review" and some text underneath it and a picture that states that "No Image Available".

Yes, no jokes. "NO IMAGE AVAILABLE" in a featured slider on your Home Page!

I wanted to punch myself when I saw that, but I settled for a pinch (less painful)

Fix that.

Move your logo to the left (which is where most people expect the logos to be) and this should move your primary navigation menu and hopefully your slider upwards.

Then please get an image for that slide.

The content on that has its own issues but we'll get to that later.

(iii). Your Primary Navigation Menu

Now, I think it might be because you placed the logo at the top, but if you look at it, you'll notice it's a little to the left and it's not like there are many items there. Not really a major issue but it's just... well, it doesn't look too good.

If you must have the logo, shrink it down to about 200x200 pixels, and move it to the left. That should fix that.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but you have a Menu item called "Menu" . What is that all about?

Should I talk about that one too?

Your About Us Page should also be in this menu, instead of just in your footer, and if possible a Contact us page and a contact form.

You should add those.

(iv). Okay, I don't know what to call this one... Fake drop down buttons from Aba (no offence intended) or what?

Right below your primary navigation menu and at the right side bar, there are some buttons. One looks like the arrow down, the middle one looks like "pause" and the other one looks like the arrow up.

I really don't know what they're supposed to be for, and considering nothing happened when I clicked them, you should remove them.

They serve no purpose, unless you count confusing the visitor as purpose.

(v). Your right sidebar dey madt! And not in a good way.

Yes, I know I commended you on not over populating your blog with ads.

The issue here is you replaced them with "scatter-scatter"

First of all, before we come to that, you have only one search button on that whole page. That is an issue.

It means, anytime the user wants to search for something, they have to come all the way to the top of your site.

Not good.

You need to have a search field in that right sidebar.

Also, while it's probably cool to developers and designers that you click on the button and then it transforms into a field with the words "Type in and hit 'enter' " , it's really pointless.

Your visitors are web-savvy, and that is just one click more than necessary.

Replace that with just a field and a search button beside it. Trust us, we will know what to do.

I know, maybe I should have made that a separate number... LOL

Okay, back to the side bar.

You have way way way too much going on there.

I literally didn't know what to click on. Now I don't know whether it's because your post headlines are not powerful (we'll come to that) or just because everything there is scattered.

Here's what I'm seeing:

- 1 post about tech inventions
- 1 post on a phone review
- Social Media box
- Popular/ Recent posts/Comment
-Then a whole list of not one or two but almost all your "Popular posts"
- Then Blog Archives

Too many places to click make man go CRAZY!!!

And I had to spend at least 5 mins looking at each link thinking about whether to click or not.

An average user would have gone on to another site.

Try arranging it this way:

- Search field + search button
- Recent posts (like 2 or 3)
- Categories: This can be in form of a drop down menu with each link as a Category and showing the number of posts in it.
- Blog Archive: Just the months and years (and the number of posts in each)
- Then the Social Media buttons (which we still get yarns on top)

If you think about it from the point of view of a user who came to the site looking for something, that's a better way.

(vi). How to Make A Right Footer? Kidnap David Beckham... lol

I'm just messing around. Let's talk about your footer section.

I vex for you small here.

Why the hell do you only have a call to action box in the last place it is likely to be seen- your footer?

Are you deliberately trying to have nobody sign up?

Some people don't even scroll that far down a page.

And the colour choice is just wrong. It doesn't stand out at all.

Also you don't give me a reason to give you my e-mail. There's no incentive. Like I read "Follow By E-mail" and I was like "Why?" and I couldn't come up with an answer.

There are many incentives you can offer: free ebooks, tutorials, updates, whatever but don't just ask me for my email like the way dem boys be asking guys : " Your money or your life."

And you need to have the Call to action show up at the top of your site or as a popup that comes in after I've spent like 5 seconds on the site. Yes, popups are annoying but they work well, which is why they haven't gone into extinction. Use them.

Now, back to the footer:

- Your Profile: Take it off there. Substitute for an "About the Author" box at the end of your posts

- Why are your logo, About Us page and Contact forms hanging too low below? Are they digging for oil? Move them up and reduce all that extra space.

Mehn... just clicked your About Us page and let's just say you don't have an About Us page.

You need to work on that page. Let me not go on another long rant.

- Categories down here makes a lot of sense, and the protected by DMCA thing is a nice touch (You gas yarn me how you arrange that last one wink )

2. Content.

(i) It's all about Your Audience

I'm not going to talk too much here.

I think majority of the issue began with not figuring out who your target audience is, what their desires are and what their problems are.

This will then inform the kind of content you produce and help you craft content that is relevant to your readers who will then reward you with their time, attention, likes, shares and if you want, $$$ .

Your content is in the tech niche, I get, but are you writing for gamers? for hackers? for older people who don't know how to use computers or mobile devices? or for computer science students looking for a history lesson?

Let's just say I'm having trouble understanding whether it's a tech news site or a site about history of tech.

I'll say you should narrow down your target audience and figure out who they are, how old they are, what they want to use tech to achieve, and what their problems are, then create content for them.

This will influence everything from your headlines to what shows up in your featured slider... everything is about the audience.

Think of it like the Igbo trader-apprentice relationship. The reader is your apprentice. How will you help him be successful?

What will you say?

(ii). Your headlines suck.

Let's keep it real.

Take any of your headlines and ask yourself this: "Why will anybody want to click this?", "How will this headline benefit them?"

If you cannot figure out a major benefit to your reader( and by that, I mean, a solution to a problem that has been causing your audience headache) from the title, then there's a good chance there isn't one.

Now, then why should they click if there isn't a benefit to them?

When you write headlines, you need to keep in mind the audience and craft a headline that tells them the benefits of reading the post.

(iii) You're not doing keyword research or SEO.

This all comes back to your audience, their desires and their pain points.

When you know that, then you can research keywords, craft content around those keywords and optimize for search engines.

I would talk about why SEO is important, but I think you can find that anywhere online.

You should come back to SEO after you have figured out your target audience though.

Now, let's talk about some more issues before we call it a wrap:

1. Are you blogging for fun or as a business?

By fun I mean- You don't want to make any money from it.

If you are blogging as a business then you need to decide on what product or service you are selling using the blog.

2. Promotion on Social Media

Your Pinterest and Google Plus links in that social media box lead right back to your homepage. Not cool.

If you don't want to use Pinterest and Google Plus for your business, then don't put the links in the social media box because people usually click them.

Your Facebook page: You have about 453 followers (if I'm not wrong) but these are not targeted.

How do I know? Well, the content you post there shows you're trying to appeal to everybody- posting random things that don't tie in any way to your service which you haven't really decided on. That page is to better engage with your customers by letting them know info relevant to their interests in tech.

Everybody loves to laugh, yes, but you are not running a comedy blog. You can joke and all, but stay your own lane.

Your IG : Here you can promote your content with screenshots or videos, and appropriate hashtags (these basically tie into your niche and the customers you want to serve).

Twitter: You need to have a separate account for your company, and tweet regularly.

My advice would be to pick two social media and use them. It's a pain in the ass trying to manage too many social media accounts and that just takes from time you could use to be creating.

Wow, this has been a long rant. I might do a video review on this site on Youtube sometime later this week, but for now, hope this has been helpful.

Make I go chop now.

Happy Hustling!

2 Likes

Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by gidimasters(m): 1:08pm On May 02, 2017
Oga oooo... See as he dey do analysis
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by daamazing(m): 1:11pm On May 02, 2017
Copycracker

1 Like

Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by daamazing(m): 1:12pm On May 02, 2017
gidimasters:
Oga oooo... See as he dey do analysis
No be small matter o.
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by Copycracker(m): 4:45pm On May 02, 2017
Thanks man, I'll try it out.

muhammad76:

I must first solve a problem of you, i.e. screen recording software. Have you tried Camtasia Studio? I no you must give it a try! You can download the portable version from here > http://downloadbull.com/portable-techsmith-camtasia-9-0-3-free-download/
You need configure some audio and video settings from the preferences, choose the devices and get the desired recording. If you want to go for a simpler software then CamStudio a good software for recording the screen.

1 Like

Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by gidimasters(m): 5:18pm On May 02, 2017
Copycracker:
Thanks man, I'll try it out.

I have premium screenpressor with serial number... Not free sha
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by daamazing(m): 7:10pm On May 02, 2017
gidimasters:

Op is looking for free na
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by MYNATIONNEWS(m): 5:08am On May 03, 2017

www.ideasflame.com the best place for the best ideas....

Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by TechPanda(m): 10:15pm On Jun 10, 2017
@ OP
You Talk Too Much grin
If You Don't Mind, I'd Love To Hear What You Think About my blog www.techkibay.com
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by Copycracker(m): 12:12am On Jun 11, 2017
Well, if you do, then you might need to join the queue here: https://www.nairaland.com/3765331/post-website-blog-here-get . Please post your site there. Thanks.

TechPanda:
@ OP
You Talk Too Much grin
If You Don't Mind, I'd Love To Hear What You Think About my blog www.techkibay.com
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by Bobody(m): 7:15am On Jun 11, 2017
gidimasters:

Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by qaaeemsafi: 11:56am On Jan 24, 2018
Help!!!!!!! I'm Using Luminar 2018 v1 Latest Portable Version But .. I'm Not Able To Save My Work On This Portable Version Please Any Adea !!!
I Downloaded That From : https://rahim-portable.com/luminar-2018-1-0-portable-free-download/ cry[color=#990000][/color]
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by stevenhubs009: 7:00am On Apr 02, 2018
Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this article together. I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worthwhile! I have downloaded pkmn rom hacks from https://pokemonlog.com
Re: What Techredirector.com Should Do To Improve Their Site (THE REVIEW) by getintopc: 1:09pm On Apr 18, 2018
Having perused this I trusted it was fairly illuminating. I welcome you investing some time and vitality to assemble this article. I by and by wind up investing an abundant excess energy both perusing and remarking.
tongue
from[url] https://www.getinto-pc.co/[/url]

(1) (Reply)

It's painful to be defrauded ,God be the judge!!! / Any Webmaster From Enugu Metropolis, I Need Help / Help, My Youtube CPC Is So Low 0.01$. Pic Attached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.