Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago (711 Views)

Anthony Joshua's Close Friends Die Of Coronavirus / 5 World-class Managers Who Rejected Top Job At Real Madrid / How Nigerian Boxing Officials Rejected Anthony Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago by Groovenaija360(m): 1:20pm On May 02, 2017
Reigning champions, Anthony Joshua sadly attempted to fight for Nigeria about 10 years ago but failed to make the final team due to some unclear issues.

Former Olympian, Obisia Nwankpa has described Nigerian-born English boxer, Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua’s victory over Wladimir Klitschko in Saturday’s epic battle at Wembley Stadium, London as ‘excellent.’

SOURCE: https://groovenaija360.com/see-the-nigerian-boxing-official-who-reportedly-rejected-anthony-joshua-10-years-ago/

But Nwankpa is unhappy with the series of attacks by some Nigerians who alleged that he (Obisia) frustrated the boxer from representing Nigeria at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

In what has gone down as an unforgettable night at Wembley Stadium, Joshua retained his IBF world title and added the WBC ‘super’ belt by stopping Klitschko in the 11th round of their heavyweight contest.

Since the victory on Saturday night, many Nigerian boxing fans have resorted to trading blames, pointing accusing fingers at coach Obisia Nwankpa and Samson Aransiola for frustrating Joshua from being one of Team Nigeria’s boxers to Beijing 2008 Olympics.

Speaking with The Guardian yesterday, Nwankpa said: “I was surprised some Nigerians are making such accusation against me. What happened was that Joshua actually contacted us that he wanted to represent Nigeria at Beijing Olympics Games. We agreed that he should come down to Nigeria to join other boxers in our camp so that we could examine him properly. But he refused. And as at that time, we had three good boxers in the heavyweight category, who were doing very well. I doubt if Joshua could have won a medal for Nigeria at that time. So, it is wrong for anyone to say that we frustrated Joshua from representing Nigeria,” Nwankpa stated.

After his failure to make Team Nigeria’s squad to Beijing 2008 Olympics, Joshua was denied another opportunity of representing the country at the London 2012 Olympics.

“I don’t really know what transpired in 2012 because I was not the coach in charge of Team Nigeria’s boxers. But as I pointed out, if Joshua had listened to my advice, perhaps, he would have made the team to Beijing 2008.

“But I want Nigerians to learn some lessons from this. Today, everyone is celebrating Anthony Joshua because he has become a world champion. Nigerians should stop this attitude. We don’t like investing on our children or giving them the support they need to become a successful person in the future. It is not so in other countries,” he stated.

Re: Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago by eezeribe(m): 1:22pm On May 02, 2017
Re: Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago by spartan117(m): 1:22pm On May 02, 2017
Is dat d man's photo
Re: Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago by GloriaNinja(f): 1:24pm On May 02, 2017
SEE his Head Like that of a crocodile.
Re: Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago by segebase(m): 1:41pm On May 02, 2017
sf
Re: Exposed:The Nigerian Boxing Official Who Rejected Anthony Joshua 10 Years Ago by Noylax(m): 2:59pm On May 02, 2017
GloriaNinja:
SEE his Head Like that of a crocodile.
Hmmmm...you can abused. Why crocodile

(1) (Reply)

Spanish La Liga Will Be Tougher This Year – Zidane / Fully Completed Football Prediction Website For Sale / Sevilla Vs Atletico Madrid 3 1 Resumen Del Partido Goals & Highlights Copa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.