Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,983 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! (6451 Views)

Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today / Bad Weather Grounds Flights Across The Country / How Have The Recent Gale-force Winds Affected You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 10, 2010
If I could do without driving, I would.

Unfortunately, tomorrow till the 22nd, I've got to be in Surrey, for a training course. Not using my own car though, and not looking forward to the 141 mile trip (2:33 hrs).

It's not snowing now, which is good, but it's like sheet ice on the roads. And it may well snow overnight.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by gongoaso1: 3:00am On Jan 11, 2010
Siena:

I seldom use my brakes at all in snow. The trick is to leave good space between yourself and the car in front. And anticipate when he / she's slowing down, at lets say a junction. Then, you ease up on the gas pedal, so the car will roll to a natural stop (with thick snow, it'll stop early). You may of course lightly touch the brake pedal, so the car behind at least knows you're coming to a stop.

And, always move off in second gear. First applies too much torque, and is likely to spin the wheels, RWD cars are worse for this, as the rear end tends to "kick sideways" if too much torque is applied. I have gone into spins, but just eased off the gas, and steered the car right. If you're good at drifting, you can still barrel down a snow-fielled road at 60 MPH, going slightly sideways, with opposite lock, great fun, but not for the inexperienced.

Don't apply more gas, if you're in mid-bend, as the car will oversteer badly (RWD) or understeer (FWD) AWD will give the most neutral handling, and also worth noting, manual transmission gives the best control in snow and icy conditions. Some auto's may have a "snow" function, but it's pretty unpredictable, and is a compromise between regular "drive" and manual.
wonderful post cool
learned one or two things.
thanks

debosky:

If you don't need to drive then don't. Too many people over-estimate their driving abilities and under-estimate the difficulties of driving in sub zero weather.

Unfortunately, since these occasions are rare in the UK, it doesn't really make sense to get snow tires. In Canada you'd have your snow tires from about November and they considerably reduce the handling issues presented by driving on icy/snow covered roads.

I remember a couple of years ago when I braked sharply after a blizzard. . . .I ended up straddling the entire road. Thank goodness it was a quiet road in the village of Lakefield. . . .I might've ended up being with my grannies by now.

Here on the south coast it hasn't been too bad I must say - apart from two or three doses of snow, all we've had are the sub zero temperatures, still nowhere to the blood freezing -30C I used to get regularly in Canada.

Best advice is if going on long road trips, have enough fuel, pack warm clothing and a winter survival pack - charged mobile, flask full of hot drink (not alcohol grin) some sand/kitty litter and a shovel.
very educative post, thanks
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 11, 2010
Jaybee2412:

These pictures are taken recently in East London

Are those the pictures of the snow everyone is complaining about? grin

You aint seen nothing yet . . . it was -18C 2 days ago. We still went to school, work and even drove around like it was spring.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by kokorunna(m): 12:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
Crazy weather in the last couple of weeks, UK know how to boast to the world this and that. But just some heavy snow and the whole country is at a standtill.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
Yes, the country comes to a standstill, due to lousy, and over-cautious drivers.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by ikeyman00(m): 12:46am On Jan 15, 2010
hello seina

happy new year

i need ur help somehow i would say; did u see ur email; ur phone line doesnt ring neither cool cool
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by THEAMAKA(f): 3:54am On Jan 15, 2010
it doesn't snow here, pretty moderate and wonderful temperatures here all year, and i love it. never gets too hott or too cold.
just right.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 15, 2010
THE AMAKA:

it doesn't snow here, pretty moderate and wonderful temperatures here all year, and i love it. never gets too hott or too cold.
just right.

Sounds just the place to be! smiley

Where abouts are you?
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 15, 2010
ikeyman00:

hello seina

happy new year

i need your help somehow i would say; did u see your email; your phone line doesnt ring neither cool cool

Probably because I'm currently at home, and not roaming either.

What's up? Happy New Year too. And, it's SIENA, not SEINA.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by THEAMAKA(f): 9:52am On Jan 15, 2010
lol @ Siena vs Seina
Cali, United States. yess oooo cool
*where the sun always shines* lol
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 15, 2010
^^^ Yes, Cali, land of Brownies. cool
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by THEAMAKA(f): 2:24pm On Jan 15, 2010
Brownies?? undecided
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 15, 2010
THE AMAKA:

Brownies?? undecided

Of course. You get browner in California.

Golden brown! wink
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by THEAMAKA(f): 2:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
Siena:

Of course. You get browner in California.

Golden brown! wink
OHHHH!! lol
hahaha, yeah, depends on where in Cali though, cause the state is so big.
southern california is basically sunny all year, probably a lot of brownies there. but way up north, near Oregon, it actually does snow (not that bad) and its a lot colder. so yeah. . .
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Hauwa1: 3:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
tpia and bluespice lol grin grin grin

maybe na nig thing grin na management be everything cheesy
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Hauwa1: 3:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
David, the cold dey kill person o cry

davidylan:

Are those the pictures of the snow everyone is complaining about? grin

You aint seen nothing yet . . . it was -18C 2 days ago. We still went to school, work and even drove around like it was spring.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by bluespice(f): 3:59pm On Jan 15, 2010
no mind david jare
although i must say it's a beautiful clear day today kiss
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 17, 2010
Massive difference here, compared to 2 weeks ago. It's sunny, and temperature today's been 8 degrees C.
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 17, 2010
-30, -18

didnt even know human beings could live in these temperatures
Re: How Has The Recent Bad Weather Affected You? Post Your Snow Pictures! by Nobody: 1:51am On Jan 18, 2010
^^^ Salsera, in Poland, it was -25 degrees, in Moscow, Russia a heart-stopping -37.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians In Malta / I Need To Travel This Year / Airlines Must Indicate The Exact Number Of Luggage Checked-in By Passengers-FAAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.