Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,097 members, 7,852,706 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:50 AM

Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' (781 Views)

Girls Beat-up Iran Cleric Over Dress Code / Venezuela Expels U.s. Ambassador / Why Did Adolph Hitler Hate Jews So Much? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by AloyEmeka3: 1:17am On Jan 08, 2010
Kenya 'expels hate cleric Abdullah al-Faisal to Gambia'

Kenyan authorities said Faisal was on an international terrorist watch-list

Kenya has deported to The Gambia a Jamaican-born Muslim cleric notorious for preaching racial hatred, Kenya's immigration minister says.
Abdullah al-Faisal was arrested last week and there have been conflicting reports about his whereabouts.
"We had problems deporting him because many countries, including the US, declined to have him even on transit," the minister, Otieno Kajwang, said.
Mr Kajwang said Faisal was being expelled for his "terrorist history".
The cleric has served four years in a UK prison after being convicted of soliciting the murder of Jews and Hindus.

"He chose Gambia and we have deported him there this morning," Mr Kajwang told reporters, AFP news agency reports.
"In fact the information we have is that he has already landed there and Gambia has received him."
There have been protests from Muslim human rights groups about his treatment.
Al-Amin Kimathi, of the Muslim Human Rights Forum, said Faisal should have been sent to Jamaica.
"It was his wish that he be taken to Jamaica, but not any other place," Kenya's Daily Nation newspaper quotes Mr Kimathi as saying.
He alleged Faisal was "being mistreated on the basis of his alleged past record".

Preaching in South Africa
Faisal was born Trevor William Forrest in St James, Jamaica, and left the island for the UK 26 years ago.
His parents were Salvation Army officers and he was raised as a Christian.
At the age of 16 he went to Saudi Arabia - where he is believed to have spent eight years - and became a Muslim.
He took a degree in Islamic Studies in the Saudi capital of Riyadh, before coming back to the UK.
Faisal spent years travelling the UK preaching racial hatred urging his audience to kill Jews, Hindus and Westerners.
A year after being deported from the UK in 2007, he was preaching in South Africa.

The Kenyan authorities said Faisal had arrived in Kenya on 24 December after travelling through Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, Swaziland and Malawi and Tanzania.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8445844.stm
Re: Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by AloyEmeka3: 6:44am On Jan 08, 2010
We should fish out his likes in Northern Nigeria and expel them to their fatherland which are Chad and Niger republic.
Re: Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by Ibime(m): 7:46am On Jan 08, 2010
I know this nucca. He used to preach in Brixton mosque. One of my muslim friends had a couple of his tapes.

Im surprised Gambia let this nucca in. Gambia should be careful. You wont find more moderate muslims than the Gambians but this doesnt augur well for the future. Already, theres a muslim-sponsored school in Brufut, Gambia which the locals call Al-Qaeda cos apparently the students in that school are being brainwashed. Which way Gambia? 
Re: Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by 4Play(m): 1:29pm On Jan 09, 2010
Put Jamaica in the US terror watch list! grin
Re: Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by muhsin(m): 1:59pm On Jan 09, 2010
Aloy`Emeka:

We should fish out his likes in Northern Nigeria and expel them to their fatherland which are Chad and Niger republic.

Where is your fatherland, Emeka? Certainly if truly 9ja isn't their fatherland yours too must have other than 9ja. cheesy
Re: Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by mukina2: 10:40am On Jan 13, 2010
This is not true . angry BBc sef can lie.

JAMAICAN ‘HATE CLERIC’ NOT IN THE GAMBIA
Abdullah Al-Faisal, the Jamaican 'hate cleric' who was reported by major international news networks to have been deported into The Gambia by Kenyan authorities is actually not in The Gambia and never came into The Gambia at anytime before.
Immigration and Police authorities here have confirmed to TODAY.

In fact, Al-Faisal is currently back in Kenya where he is cooling his feet at the Industrial Area Remand Prison, a Kenyan detention facility, after the international outcast could not find any country to welcome him on its soil nor an airline that would agree to take him onboard.

Now it seems the only option left to the Kenyan government would be to hire a long-haul plane to fly the embattled cleric to his home country of Jamaica where the authorities have said they would have no choice but to accept him.

It was the second time the east African nation had tried unsuccessfully to deport the cleric who was arrested a week ago in Kenya's coastal city of Mombasa. The Kenyan authorities said Faisal's history of radical statements and connections with convicted terrorists made him a threat to Kenya's security. Kenya attempted to deport him from that country last Thursday following orders by Kenyan Immigration Minister Otieno Kajwang.

Confusion
But there was much confusion in a lot of minds here when Kenya hastily announced that it had deported the 'hate cleric' to The Gambia. The wrong information was then hastily relayed on some of the major international news networks.

However, it has been reported that Al-Faisal was only able to get to Nigeria from where he was thrown back. Earlier, the Kenyan authorities had reportedly driven Al-Faisal to the country's border with Tanzania and tried to deport him there last Tuesday because he had entered Kenya from there, but Tanzania refused him entry.

According to the Kenyan Immigration Minister, Otieno Kajwang, Al-Faisal was also rejected by Nigeria due to the negative publicity surrounding him, noting that no country is likely to accept him.

"This gentleman is not safe for Kenya. We will certainly send him away using the next possible flight. It is not a religious war, but a war against an individual whom we have reasonable basis to reject," he said.

Al-Faisal is on the international terrorism watch list since his release from a Britain jail where he served part of a four-yeaar jail sentence for incitement to murder and stirring racial hatred.

He was convicted in Britain on terrorism-related charges in 2003 and deported on release in 2007. On arrival in Jamaica, the Islamic Council of Jamaica banned him from preaching in its mosques.

There are many confusing stories about Al-Faisal and his presence in Kenya. One of these stories is that he had initially traveled to Kenya from Nigeria through Angola, Malawi, Swaziland, Mozambique and Tanzania.
Another was the link with The Gambia, to where Kenya claimed it would deport him.

According to reports contained in East African Standard and Daily Nation, the two frontline newspapers in Kenya, Al-Faisal had claimed that he had the permission to come to The Gambia.

It was reported that human rights lawyers fighting for Al-Faisal's release in Kenya had telephoned Al-Faisal's mobile phone and put him on loudspeaker during a press conference where he was heard saying: "I was (to be) deported to Gambia but when I reached Nigeria, an airline there declined to fly me to Gambia. I was then returned to Nairobi and now I am here."

"I am a public figure; the Gambian government does not have a problem accepting me. I was given a choice to make and chose there, but the airline that was to fly me from Nigeria declined to take me on board."

"Now I am in prison, I do not know how I got here and I would like the Muslim community out there to help me because I am a public figure," Al-Faisa was quoted to have said.

[size=15pt]However, authorities here have dismissed these claims as unfounded. According to Yankuba Sonko, The Gambia's Deputy Inspector General of Police, a country like The Gambia, which continues to hold the enviable honour of being the most religiously tolerant country on the continent could and would never have granted permission nor welcomed a person in the mould of Al-Faisal into The Gambia.

Momodou Lamin Manneh, public relations officer of the Gambia Immigration Department, also told TODAY that his office had made all necessary routine checks of immigrant entries into The Gambia and was sure that Abdullah Al- Faisal was never at anytime here.

"As far as I am concerned, the news was untrue and we are monitoring all our borders at all times,” the immigration spokesperson said.
[/size]
However, while no country would reasonably want to receive Al-Faisal into its territory; Jamaica, Al-Faisal's home country has made it clear it would have no choice but take its own back.

“He is free to come to Jamaica. It is his home and it is our duty to accept every citizen. We will also not take any legal action against Al- Faisal since he has not committed any crimes,” Kenneth Baugh, Jamaica's foreign affairs minister was quoted as saying.

The problem however, is how Al-Faisal will get back to Jamaica if no country would grant him even a transit visa and if no airline would want to have him onboard.

Transit Possible
However, Kenyan media have reported there may be light at the end of the tunnel for Al-Faisal himself and the Kenyan authorities who so desperately would love to get rid of him.

The newspapers there claim that unnamed sources in the Government have revealed that negotiations with some European countries are ongoing to have Al-Faisal granted transit visas that will enable him reach his country.

Other sources also claim to having been informed of an offer by a group of Saudi businessmen from Arabia who are willing to foot the bill for the cleric to be flown back to Jamaica.

Trevor William Forrest
Abdullah Al-Faisal was born Trevor William Forrest in St James, Jamaica, and left the island for the UK 26 years ago.

His parents were Salvation Army officers and he was raised as a Christian. At the age of 16 he went to Saudi Arabia - where he is believed to have spent eight years - and became a Muslim.

He took a degree in Islamic Studies in the Saudi capital of Riyadh, before going back to the UK.

Faisal is alleged to have spent years travelling in the UK preaching racial hatred urging his audience to kill Jews, Hindus and Westerners.

He is also said to have led a London mosque attended by convicted terrorists, and Britain has said that his teachings heavily influenced one of the bombers in the 2005 transport network attacks in London that killed 52 people.

TODAY however cannot confirm any of these allegations.
A year after being deported from the UK in 2007, he was also alleged to have been preaching in South Africa.

The Kenyan authorities said Faisal had arrived in Kenya on 24 December after travelling through Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique, Swaziland and Malawi and Tanzania.
http://today.gm/hi/news/1185.html
Re: Kenya 'expels Hate Cleric Abdullah Al-faisal To Gambia' by muhsin(m): 12:29pm On Jan 13, 2010
mukina2:

This is not true . angry BBc sef can lie.

Very obviously. shocked shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

Primary School Shooter + He Also Killed His Mother / I Dont Think Nigerian Soldiers Can Perpetrate This kind of Wickedness! / A 6 Year Old Suspended Over Sexual Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.