Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? (17369 Views)

What Is The Maximum Mileage Of A Toyota Corolla? / Mileage Is 77k, Leather Seat, Tinted Glass, Reverse Camera, AC Working Perfect / How Come Many Tokunbo Cars For Sale In Nigeria Have 75,000 Mileage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:50am On May 04, 2017
lade007:

I totally disagree with your point. Do you really mean to type 60k km? How many of the Nigerian cars have less than 150k km real mileage...that's even in Kilometres I am talking about and not miles. A 60k km vehicle is as good as a nearly new vehicle which always attract more purchasing price which 30% of Nigerians cannot afford to pay for. To me, it's not about mileage but maintenance. Maintenance is key! I bought my Opel with a Mileage a little over 200k km and from the history of the car I am the 3rd owner, I drove the car for another over 50k km mileage and I had no issue at all with the car till it sold it to another user.

Maintenance is it!

Your purchasing power determines the grade of car you can afford; it does not determine the quality or road worthiness of the car.

Nobody who knows anything about cars will support buying a 200km car. In other countries that is referred to as a 'clunker'.
The very idea of buying an imported used car is problematic and only started in Nigeria in the 1990s. If we must do so, due to economic hardship, we must be circumspect.

The manufacturers warranty should guide you as to what a decent car is. If the previous owner has exhausted the serviceable life of the car then you are 'on your own' when you purchase it.
I recognize the economic situation in the country but it doesn't affect the science and facts of automobile technology.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by tonylaw07(m): 7:53am On May 04, 2017
What I believe is that maintenance is the key. How would someone be expecting to have 2003 car that 14 years old to have a mileage less than 100k miles. Most tokunbo cars have had there mileage altered. My cousins 98 camry bought by himself from the USA has a mileage of 322k and the car is so sound. Travels to benin every time no single issue

3 Likes

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by kolafolabi(m): 7:56am On May 04, 2017
tmcleo2k2:
80k in 2 years? You be transporter?

I cover all south west... I travel a lot

3 Likes

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by lade007(m): 7:58am On May 04, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Your purchasing power determines the grade of car you can afford; it does not determine the quality or road worthiness of the car.

Nobody who knows anything about cars will support buying a 200k car. In other countries that is referred to add a 'clunker'. The very idea of buying an imported used car is problematic and only started in Nigeria in the 1990s. If we must do so, we must be circumspect.

The manufacturers warranty should guide you as to what a decent car is. If the previous owner has exhausted the serviceable life of the car then you are on your own when you purchase it.
I recognize the economic situation in the country but it doesn't affect the science and facts of automobile technology.

Well I understand what you wrote and I partly agree with you. With German brands, 150k km is nothing with a full service history and dealers warranty
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by blaquebelle: 8:07am On May 04, 2017
What is mileage??

1 Like

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Tlake(m): 8:13am On May 04, 2017
how much mileage will danfo buses be o.. calculating ....its all about maintenance 4gt number

2 Likes

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Vicyace: 8:18am On May 04, 2017
I have a Toyota carina 2 with over 320k mileage
Guess what....it's still blazing...Your vehicle type, maintenance are very important.
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Luvdmx(m): 8:20am On May 04, 2017
For used car, I will advice at most 12yrs old car with 60K to 130K mileage with good service history. Also check how many previous owners.

Personally I will prefer a car with moderate high mileage
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by joinnow: 8:23am On May 04, 2017
What mileage is OK for a used car
In general, I would not recommend buying a car with a very high mileage. To put it into numbers, more than 155,000 miles or 250,000 km is probably too much; however, a "low mileage" does not mean "a good car." Of course, the less miles, the better, but don't put too much value on the mileage alone without considering other factors like mechanical condition, options, reliability, how well the car was maintained, etc. I've seen many 'bad' low-mileage cars: some restored after accidents, others poorly cared for and some even with their odometer rolled back, which is still happening, even though it's illegal. Again, checking the used car history records can help you avoid this kind of lemons.
When considering between cars of different brands, again the one with 50,000 miles but with proven reliability could be a better choice than the other one with 40,000 miles, but with poor reliability records.
Ideally, look for something under 80,000 miles or 130,000 km, but it all depends on your budget. If you cannot afford a low-mileage car, pay more attention to the mechanical condition.

From samaris

3 Likes

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Luvdmx(m): 8:30am On May 04, 2017
blaquebelle:
What is mileage??

Mileage(miles) is the distance covered by car.

1 Like

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by joebeckz(m): 8:53am On May 04, 2017
bettercreature:
Ofcourse! if you drive hydundia accent from lagos to abuja 3-4 times,the car don finish.
That's not true, my official car is a Hyundai saloon, bought brand new, it has worked for two years and no issues, I travel every week, Lagos to benin to pH and Abuja. I have not changed a pin, I do my routine maintenance when due, I changed brake pads just once. Bro a brand new Hyundai is just good. My colleague has used his for 4 years and he still does just regular service and brake pad change, even Ac gas he has not refilled. That's how good the car is

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by talk2tosep(m): 8:58am On May 04, 2017
Depends on engine capacity and maintenance ...
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Osama10(m): 9:08am On May 04, 2017
kolafolabi:
I bought my Toyota Camry at 98,000 mileage about 2years ago. It is currently 178,000 mileage and it is still working perfectly..

You mean you drove 80,000km in 2years?.

Just thinking out loud.
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Senipapa(m): 9:31am On May 04, 2017
.mine is less than 40,000 milage, drove for two years without having to visit the mechanic apart from changing of oil and oil filter, and maybe break pad. Nothing like brand new. Selling off anyway to raise capital for business. Painful losing a reliable beast.
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by pragmatistm(m): 9:52am On May 04, 2017
All things being equal, a mileage above 333,333 is bad for a car.
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by asumo12: 9:59am On May 04, 2017
My Honda Accord 2000 mileage was 170k when I bought it with good record of maintenance! Na all these road side mechanic dey ruin naija car jare
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by asumo12: 10:00am On May 04, 2017
pragmatistm:
All things being equal, a mileage above 333,333 is bad for a car.

So at what miles can I sell my car?
undecided

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by sanerugwei: 10:00am On May 04, 2017
dancok:
My car has 222242 mileage when i bought it in January.
And you still call that one a car?
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by divinelove(m): 10:18am On May 04, 2017
miccodb:
Ok just thought to get to the root of this milage craze. Mileage seems to be a major factor in determining a vehicles useful life amd overall decision to buy or not. We do everything humanly possible here to falsify this to avoid questions and make d marketing easy. So in reality im concerned how much mileage is too much mileage? At what mileage should i be worried Or no worries

The main thing is maintenance some cars at 350000km are better than others at 150000km.

A well maintained car engine car easily hit 500000km
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by divinelove(m): 10:26am On May 04, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

I want to disagree with this.
Both mileage and maintenance are important. A high mileage vehicle will still be going strong with competent maintenance, and a poorly maintained vehicle will show signs of failing at relatively low mileage.
Personally, I won't advise you to buy a car over 60,000km if you can avoid it. The tendency here in Nigeria is to buy cars with 100,000 km. That is an oooold car. Chassis, transmission , engine, seats, doors and even the electronics would have started to degrade.
The newer the better.

The newer the better certainly but a well maintained car engine can easily reach 500000km
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by divinelove(m): 10:38am On May 04, 2017
joebeckz:

That's not true, my official car is a Hyundai saloon, bought brand new, it has worked for two years and no issues, I travel every week, Lagos to benin to pH and Abuja. I have not changed a pin, I do my routine maintenance when due, I changed brake pads just once. Bro a brand new Hyundai is just good. My colleague has used his for 4 years and he still does just regular service and brake pad change, even Ac gas he has not refilled. That's how good the car is

Haba a brand new shld do up to 7yrs with issues since 10 yrs old toks can do 3 yrs with issues
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by business4all: 10:48am On May 04, 2017
diportivo:

this ur summation na wa o

so 200k mileage in USA is better than 10k miles in Nigeria?

a car used for 15years is better than the one used for a year??

a 2002 Honda baby boy is better than a 2016 hyundai accent?

The guy talk true o. Most milage in thee US are highway milage with straight long roads without potholes. So 200k millage in the US cannot be compared to 10k in Nigeria that has been through all these bad roads, traffic germ, rough driving and overloading because in the US, if you see 20 cars on the road, you can hardly see 2 cars with two people inside. It's usually one person in a car. What about the kind of maintenance given to car in the US?

1 Like

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by mikelbewise(m): 11:13am On May 04, 2017
Avoid naija used cars with mileage above 170k .
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Emassive(m): 12:17pm On May 04, 2017
I imported mine from America in 2014 this Month at 120k KM before I moved to Ibadan Last year August it was 132k for 2yrs but currently on 156k due to my frequent trip weekly. All I do is maintain the tyres, Engine and the front and back legs regularly. The AC works but I try to minimize the regular use of AC as frequently as I used to so I can reduce the load on the engine. I am currently have problems with the electricals as it needs change now. It's 2000Camry
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by nikky5(m): 12:24pm On May 04, 2017
I bought my Octavia 2.0 2003 last December with a mileage of 69k. I am the third user. It works for me like a brand new car with no issues at all.The previous maintainace history of the car helped alot.
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by dokiOloye(m): 12:27pm On May 04, 2017
kolafolabi:
I bought my Toyota Camry at 98,000 mileage about 2years ago. It is currently 178,000 mileage and it is still working perfectly..
U have added approx 80k miles in about 2yrs
Dem de use d motor run taxi wt diff ppl doing day and night shift
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Goldenboy007(m): 12:56pm On May 04, 2017
In a country like US you will see cars going as high as 300,000 miles. Roads are fantastic, repair and maintenance are A-rated. However I have seen 30,000 miles car in Nigeria develop terrible engine problems, the roads and your mechanics are your problems. Bad condition causes more wear and tear to mechanical systems.

1 Like

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by mafioso47(m): 1:30pm On May 04, 2017
joinnow:
What mileage is OK for a used car
In general, I would not recommend buying a car with a very high mileage. To put it into numbers, more than 155,000 miles or 250,000 km is probably too much; however, a "low mileage" does not mean "a good car." Of course, the less miles, the better, but don't put too much value on the mileage alone without considering other factors like mechanical condition, options, reliability, how well the car was maintained, etc. I've seen many 'bad' low-mileage cars: some restored after accidents, others poorly cared for and some even with their odometer rolled back, which is still happening, even though it's illegal. Again, checking the used car history records can help you avoid this kind of lemons.
When considering between cars of different brands, again the one with 50,000 miles but with proven reliability could be a better choice than the other one with 40,000 miles, but with poor reliability records.
Ideally, look for something under 80,000 miles or 130,000 km, but it all depends on your budget. If you cannot afford a low-mileage car, pay more attention to the mechanical condition.

From samaris
I agree with your point.. low mileage does not mean good car.. low mileage tokumno cars may also have been accidented or flooded
Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by diportivo: 2:03pm On May 04, 2017
business4all:
The guy talk true o. Most milage in thee US are highway milage with straight long roads without potholes. So 200k millage in the US cannot be compared to 10k in Nigeria that has been through all these bad roads, traffic germ, rough driving and overloading because in the US, if you see 20 cars on the road, you can hardly see 2 cars with two people inside. It's usually one person in a car. What about the kind of maintenance given to car in the US?

I can't believe what I av just read... shocked

200k compared to 10k cos its naija?

cos there are potholes??

the emphasis isn't on 200k naija miles..d comparison is 10k naija to 200k Yankee and u agree

toh!

as for me,Aslong as there's coscharis,stallion,Hyundai, briscoe, and all these guys' service history,naija 10k miles it is

goodluck to those of u that think cars from abroad don't suffer abuse too tongue

1 Like

Re: How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 04, 2017
sanerugwei:
And you still call that one a car?
if u see the car, is still doing well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vespa Re-Brands, Redesigns Its Sei Giorni Scooter / The Truth About The 2002 - 2007 Accord(eod) / China’s Car Brand, Aiways U5 All Electric SUV Is Set To Debut In Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.