Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,108 members, 7,818,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

How To Move On After Getting Sacked - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Move On After Getting Sacked (18812 Views)

How To Identify A Good Recruiter From A Fake/mediocre One / "Don't Ever Take No For An Answer" - Pretty Lady Says After Getting A Job.Photos / Tips: How To Say Sorry When Running Late For An Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Move On After Getting Sacked by zazawaga(m): 12:33pm On May 04, 2017
Just like the 280 lot of MTN employees or should I say former employees, life throws us punches and most times it’s where we least expect; in the face.

A job loss is an undeniably excruciating punch in the face. I mean, a slap would have sufficed; maybe a query, a warning email, anything but a sack. It's surreal for some, there's a bit of denial initially but as reality dawns, you realize you've been hit really bad.

As you digest the information that has been handed to you either by mail, word of mouth or public announcement, the news that you’re no longer on the pay roll gets you thinking of how much you could have done your job better. How you shouldn’t have snoozed the alarm every time it went off or how you should have taken that career advice you read on discovery seriously.

Let me break it to you, half of the time, just like in the case of these 280 MTN employees, it’s not your fault. In their case the company gave an excuse of the need to bring in professionals that’ll bring a fresh perspective to things and to avail the scaked employees other career options. Amazing opportunity, right?

“It was designed drawing on feedback from employees and following consultation with elected employees representatives. It provides a financial incentive and opportunity for employees who have worked with MTN for over 5 years to pursue other career interest and personal ambition full-time, while increasing opportunities for professionals with a fresh perspective wishing to join the MTN family.” — MTN Nigeria
But we all know MTN just paid 30 billion naira out of the 330 billion naira they were fined by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC). So like I said earlier, there’s usually a cover story, a quote for the public, but more often than not, it’s not your fault.

If you’re like me, you’re probably thinking “even if it wasn’t my fault that I got fired, the point remains that I’m out a job” and that’s what we’re really here to solve. So let’s not waste more time discussing companies who are gradually going out of business.

1.First of all, give yourself some real time to figure out your next step.

And that may mean weeks, not a few hours! Don’t feel compelled to jump right back into the work force. You will feel some shock—the same way you would feel shock after any loss. Take some time to deal with that. When you are ready to jump back in, keep your options open, you don’t have to apply to Globacom or Airtel alone. Actually, this might be a good time to explore a new field that you’ve always wanted to try but never had the time to, start a business, or if you’re still young at heart, go back to school.

2.Let go of the way life should have gone.

Resisting the job loss causes more pain. Sometimes you know why you were fired, sometimes you just don’t. Don’t waste any time figuring it out. Be mature about anything you feel may have contributed to it. See the difference between reality and illusion (reality is you lost your job, illusion is you’ll never find another job.) Take a moment to go inside yourself, get silent and listen to your intuition. Some of your best ideas will come when you slow down enough and tune in.

3. Looking for a job is now your job.

It may take a lot longer to find a new job than you think it will. For some people it took them six months and for some others it took them more to find a new job. You might have to settle for less. We’re in a tough economy and the dream job you want might not be available for the next few years. Some jobs leave the market and never come back, and you may be facing that reality. Don’t get discouraged. Remember, even in a bad economy, there are always jobs for good people.

4.However, get a grip on your online image:

Your reputation and your online persona play much more of a role in getting you a new job than your resume or your cover letter ever could. Your profiles on Facebook and LinkedIn should be spruced up and optimized as much as possible to make you as attractive as you can be to a potential employer. And don’t forget to Google yourself to see what comes up.

5. The next job you take may be a transitional one.

Whether it’s full or part time, embrace it. It’s like learning to walk again after a terrible accident. Every experience is a valuable one and you never know where it may lead. It’s very okay to freelance or find part-time work to get some cash flow until you find the perfect new position. In fact, you may find that you don’t need a full-time job as much as you thought you did to be happy and secure.

On the whole, please don’t blame yourself. For some reason, I keep reiterating this. And it’s not in a bid to encourage you to throw a pity party for yourself but because blame never accomplishes anything.

Don’t get addicted to your story of why you got fired or how unlucky you are, because it will hold you back. There is no shame or embarrassment to be had. Every successful person has lost a job at some stage. Instead of feeling shame, honor this as just a life change that will make you stronger. Work hard, be true to yourself in self-development, stick around optimistic people not victim circles and the best will come.

https://discovery.insidify.com/if-you-got-sacked-like-mtn-did-to-280-people-its-not-your-fault
Kindly share this post if you found it useful

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by hushshinani(m): 12:35pm On May 04, 2017
ok
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by zazawaga(m): 12:36pm On May 04, 2017
mynd44 and lalasticlala please push this for our people
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by philosophie: 12:38pm On May 04, 2017
so much for being a job fanatic. we can create jobs instead of looking for job. Think of being your own boss, nobody can sack you.

23 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by davidbanner(m): 8:06am On Mar 16, 2021
Thank you. This is a good piece.

I just lost my job of 6 months.. I've been sore depressed �.

Thank you!!!

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by DuBLINGreenb(m): 4:57pm On Mar 20, 2021
Easier said than done

What of how to move on as an unemployed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by GIANTPLUSHUB: 4:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
Mheen! 2017 thread hits Frontpage. Indeed, dry bone can rise again grin grin

34 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by NwaNimo1(m): 4:58pm On Mar 20, 2021

10 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Jestin: 4:58pm On Mar 20, 2021
Always have it mind that when one door close, another one will open. Loosing a job should not make anyone consider suicide pls .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by DropsMic(m): 4:59pm On Mar 20, 2021
St Bottles

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 20, 2021
Make I book space

Truth is losing your job can be so depressing especially when you have so much responsibilities

Imagine a dad with kids plus wife plus his siblings, and then gbam

"your services are no longer needed "

The man go nearly run mad, plus this country come hard join..

Lost my job January

Omo you need see how frustration nearly killed me..

Got to a point I started regretting why I even go school..

Woulda just learnt any vocational skills

This life no get equilibrium

kingandamy4life:
Hello guys.this guy made a valid point. But one problem we always have is we never invest while we re working. You see amazing opportunities and you think your salary is God to you. Learn to invest. Your salary is a seed. No job in Nigeria has security.I lost my job but the investment I made is keeping me on and am not sure I want to even work for anybody. Guys invest and if you need a good investment advise you can hola at me

Very valid point, one of the mistake I made

But responsibilities was too much that even before the money drops you already spent all

Currently I have sold all most all my properties.. Just to meet end needs

12 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Ihatemumu: 5:00pm On Mar 20, 2021
[quote author=philosophie post=56199156]so much for being a job fanatic. we can create jobs instead of looking for job. Think of being your own boss, nobody can sack you.[/quotes]

everybody cannot be a CEO or business owners. it's the way life is designed

1 Like

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Nobody: 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2021
angry.. Just start acting like Dino

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by flemsy15(m): 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2021
OP made some valid points, but in SUMMARY, the best way of handling being fired is TO GET A NEW JOB IMMEDIATELY OR START YOUR OWN BUSINESS (if u don't have one already). When u have bill to pay, there may not be enough time for some of the things OP mentioned.

5 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Noblejay7: 5:02pm On Mar 20, 2021
That is why you should have a side hustle while you are an employee. Have multiple streams of income as such a job loss will not adversely affect you.

Main while, if you have a good car, you can immediately convert it to a taxi (Uber ). You can also gather your savings and start a business.

Getting another job can sometimes take two or three years in this present economy.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by merits(m): 5:03pm On Mar 20, 2021
wink

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by ReeLoaDead(m): 5:03pm On Mar 20, 2021
Good thread OP
When one door closes another will open if you persevere.
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by saphiere(f): 5:04pm On Mar 20, 2021
zazawaga:
Just like the 280 lot of MTN employees or should I say former employees, life throws us punches and most times it’s where we least expect; in the face.

A job loss is an undeniably excruciating punch in the face. I mean, a slap would have sufficed; maybe a query, a warning email, anything but a sack. It's surreal for some, there's a bit of denial initially but as reality dawns, you realize you've been hit really bad.

As you digest the information that has been handed to you either by mail, word of mouth or public announcement, the news that you’re no longer on the pay roll gets you thinking of how much you could have done your job better. How you shouldn’t have snoozed the alarm every time it went off or how you should have taken that career advice you read on discovery seriously.

Let me break it to you, half of the time, just like in the case of these 280 MTN employees, it’s not your fault. In their case the company gave an excuse of the need to bring in professionals that’ll bring a fresh perspective to things and to avail the scaked employees other career options. Amazing opportunity, right?

“It was designed drawing on feedback from employees and following consultation with elected employees representatives. It provides a financial incentive and opportunity for employees who have worked with MTN for over 5 years to pursue other career interest and personal ambition full-time, while increasing opportunities for professionals with a fresh perspective wishing to join the MTN family.” — MTN Nigeria
But we all know MTN just paid 30 billion naira out of the 330 billion naira they were fined by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC). So like I said earlier, there’s usually a cover story, a quote for the public, but more often than not, it’s not your fault.

If you’re like me, you’re probably thinking “even if it wasn’t my fault that I got fired, the point remains that I’m out a job” and that’s what we’re really here to solve. So let’s not waste more time discussing companies who are gradually going out of business.

1.First of all, give yourself some real time to figure out your next step.

And that may mean weeks, not a few hours! Don’t feel compelled to jump right back into the work force. You will feel some shock—the same way you would feel shock after any loss. Take some time to deal with that. When you are ready to jump back in, keep your options open, you don’t have to apply to Globacom or Airtel alone. Actually, this might be a good time to explore a new field that you’ve always wanted to try but never had the time to, start a business, or if you’re still young at heart, go back to school.

2.Let go of the way life should have gone.

Resisting the job loss causes more pain. Sometimes you know why you were fired, sometimes you just don’t. Don’t waste any time figuring it out. Be mature about anything you feel may have contributed to it. See the difference between reality and illusion (reality is you lost your job, illusion is you’ll never find another job.) Take a moment to go inside yourself, get silent and listen to your intuition. Some of your best ideas will come when you slow down enough and tune in.

3. Looking for a job is now your job.

It may take a lot longer to find a new job than you think it will. For some people it took them six months and for some others it took them more to find a new job. You might have to settle for less. We’re in a tough economy and the dream job you want might not be available for the next few years. Some jobs leave the market and never come back, and you may be facing that reality. Don’t get discouraged. Remember, even in a bad economy, there are always jobs for good people.

4.However, get a grip on your online image:

Your reputation and your online persona play much more of a role in getting you a new job than your resume or your cover letter ever could. Your profiles on Facebook and LinkedIn should be spruced up and optimized as much as possible to make you as attractive as you can be to a potential employer. And don’t forget to Google yourself to see what comes up.

5. The next job you take may be a transitional one.

Whether it’s full or part time, embrace it. It’s like learning to walk again after a terrible accident. Every experience is a valuable one and you never know where it may lead. It’s very okay to freelance or find part-time work to get some cash flow until you find the perfect new position. In fact, you may find that you don’t need a full-time job as much as you thought you did to be happy and secure.

On the whole, please don’t blame yourself. For some reason, I keep reiterating this. And it’s not in a bid to encourage you to throw a pity party for yourself but because blame never accomplishes anything.

Don’t get addicted to your story of why you got fired or how unlucky you are, because it will hold you back. There is no shame or embarrassment to be had. Every successful person has lost a job at some stage. Instead of feeling shame, honor this as just a life change that will make you stronger. Work hard, be true to yourself in self-development, stick around optimistic people not victim circles and the best will come.

https://discovery.insidify.com/if-you-got-sacked-like-mtn-did-to-280-people-its-not-your-fault
Kindly share this post if you found it useful
What of how to completely move on after a breakup?
This one is more important and affects one's mental health than job sack. I've been reading articles upon articles.

2 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by cassidy1996(m): 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2021
e nor easy
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2021
Teach them to think of plan B C D E immediately they get another job.

Naija ain’t smiling!
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2021
saphiere:
What of how to completely move on after a breakup?
This one is more important and affects one's mental health than job sack. I've been reading articles upon articles.

No wonder you quoted an entire article that’s just two messages up.

2 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by tunapawizzy: 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2021
By saving n investing so much for such eventuality while u re still unsacked

1 Like

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Xscape047: 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2021
Invest
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Duplexxx: 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2021
OK
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Goldenheart(m): 5:08pm On Mar 20, 2021
There are jobs out there... smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by sofeo(m): 5:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
Ok.

1 Like

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Sonnobax15(m): 5:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
lipsrsealed
Nice piece of write up..But that which may work for me. A may not work for mr. B...
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by GreaterFuture(m): 5:09pm On Mar 20, 2021
Join a convenient Supply chain of any industry or Area of Business e.g Agriculture/Farming or Food Business, Transport and Logistics, etc.

2 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by oluwaseyi0: 5:12pm On Mar 20, 2021
H
Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by JustCurious: 5:12pm On Mar 20, 2021
If you are sacked or asked to stop your job.
Please, know this that it doesn’t mean you aren’t good enough. Go find your niche.
Perhaps, it could be a redirection for a bigger cause.

Never for any reason accept the silly thoughts that’d keep suggesting and making you feel you aren’t good enough.

Create your path. Have a growth mindset.
The world is waiting for your manifestation.

#JustSaying

7 Likes

Re: How To Move On After Getting Sacked by Lexusgs430: 5:14pm On Mar 20, 2021
We dey unemployment/unemployable queue togeda now...... grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ushers Needed For Corporate Events In Lagos "et Al" (17.5k Per Day) / 80k In Ikoyi With Pension And HMO Or 80k In Ikeja With No Benefits / Legitimate Online Jobs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.