Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,128 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? (1447 Views)

Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige / Why You Should Be An Employee / My Boss And My Account! Advice Needed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by AjalaJ(m): 8:49am On May 05, 2017
A software engineer in my team doesn't know how to clean up her computer filled with malware. Should I get my boss to fire her?
I believe she should know how to do such basic things.

If I were your boss and you came up to me with such a suggestion I would most likely:
Fire you.
Fire the person that conducted the behavioral interview and gave you a hire.
Does that surprise you? Unfortunately, it probably does, so let me elaborate.

I read people relatively well. However, it doesn't take a fine people-reader to understand that someone who doesn't have a problem to shallowly evaluate people based on their own beliefs regarding a single thing they believe they should or shouldn't know is, most likely, a terribly arrogant person with a superiority complex. Additionally, I do not read your intent as optimizing the team for the good of the company - I am reading it as "by pointing out other people's weaknesses to my superiors, I will gain their trust and advance quicker at the expense of the misfortune of my team-mate". So, you're basically optimizing for yourself and will sacrifice a potentially fine software engineer in order to do so. I may even speculate that you want to grow a more personal relationship with your boss in order to come to a position where you could do less, or worse, and get away with it.

I would never want to see such immature, toxic, cognitive patterns in my team members. You are there, together, for a reason, and you must be able to rely on each other, for better or worse. If you cannot have the basic trust in your team-mates, or the basic good will to help your team-mates when they are struggling, or, perhaps most importantly, the decency to face them first when you have issues, instead of immediately running to your manager - then you will most likely be the reason that the entire team will fail, when facing difficult times, regardless of your potential engineering superiority. So, I can't have that. You're awesome, man, and you apparently know that all too well, but I can't have you here because you need to grow up and learn how to behave in a society.

One last note - as others have pointed out - cleaning up her machine, installing software, etc. is not a software engineer's job. I have too much of my own debugging to do, so that I do not have the time and I do not want to spend my time debugging anything else, including hardware, OS, drivers, common software, etc. I just call people whose job is to keep machines running well and move on to the next thing on my plate.

Source: https://www.quora.com/A-software-engineer-in-my-team-doesnt-know-how-to-clean-up-her-computer-filled-with-malware-Should-I-get-my-boss-to-fire-her

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by maxti: 8:50am On May 05, 2017
As You are now the Boss .
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by BizLifeE: 10:21am On May 05, 2017
That's none of your business. If your boss isn't stupid, she/he will see the incompetence of the employee and then take an appropriate action.
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by Nobody: 10:46am On May 05, 2017
mtshew over sabi house wife. fire kor thunder ni

1 Like

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by ojun50(m): 11:58am On May 05, 2017
Oya tell yr boss nd see yr self leaving big head

2 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by RealLordZeus(m): 12:19pm On May 05, 2017
If you are the team leader, yes but I believe there are other measures you can also take, if she's your colleague, it's a capital NO
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by shedy03(m): 12:31pm On May 05, 2017
not good.
be a good team member/leader and show her the way so she will do the right thing, God will bless you as you make positive impact on fellow humans lives.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by Salvame(f): 1:30pm On May 05, 2017
If you cant deal with such a person,resign! and when you resign,alert me so that I can apply for that your position to put her through those basic things she needs to know.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by xtivin(m): 2:03pm On May 05, 2017
If your boss sack her would it increase your pay? Did you employ her? If she get fired does it cover your own lapses? Hypocrite like you want to report someone else. Let your boss find out sir, sorry if my message Is harsh

5 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by Adebola15: 2:57pm On May 05, 2017
This op is wicked why don't you just advise her to learn or teach her. Nobody knows tomorrow. You even get mind post this kind thing maybe you will be fired before her

2 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by Bahddo(m): 3:41pm On May 05, 2017
If I'm your boss I'd fire you for being

1) a poor team player who doesn't like to help teammates.
2) a malicious person who'd rather see others go down.
3) an ignorant person who doesn't know that software developers do not necessarily have to be badass at system security.
4) a presumptuous ass who thinks he is in a position to give me orders.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by idu1(m): 3:48pm On May 05, 2017
You are very stupiid...
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by do4luv14(m): 4:05pm On May 05, 2017
BizLifeE:
That's none of your business. If your boss isn't stupid, she/he will see the incompetence of the employee and then take an appropriate action.

in retrospect the boss is stupid for hiring her right,
I can see y you and the OP are birds of same feathers
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by do4luv14(m): 4:07pm On May 05, 2017
Bahddo:
If I'm your boss I'd fire you for being

1) a poor team player who doesn't like to help teammates.
2) a malicious person who'd rather see others go down.
3) an ignorant person who doesn't know that software developers do not necessarily have to be badass at system security.
4) a presumptuous ass who he is in a position to give me orders.

let me quickly make it 5 & 6

5. 2 self-centered , full of himself, and selfish,
6. Who knows , you may be he one who install dose malware in her system,

abi she refuse you CONGO you wan see her fired no, oloshi

3 Likes

Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by ednut1(m): 6:04pm On May 05, 2017
she fit the boss babe, d only person getting sacked would be u
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by ItzChinnex(m): 6:25pm On May 05, 2017
Your Sense is paining you.. what is your business?? do your own make eh d0 eh own. How is that your F*cling business?
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by chicoMX(m): 7:43pm On May 05, 2017
Op, what if she got the job through somebody's that knows your boss? You better mind your business
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by hardeycute(m): 8:11pm On May 05, 2017
embarassed embarassedOp please is it affecting your OUTPUT embarassed
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by onuwaje(m): 8:28pm On May 05, 2017
1. Is it ur family business?
2. Why dont u mind ur business?
3. This thing u re trying to do is it witchcraft?
Re: Should I Ask My Boss To Sack An Incompetent Employee? by pweetiedee(m): 10:34pm On May 05, 2017
I too know. ITK

I guess you used to be that student in the department who submits assignment first, reminds lecturers there is a pending test, sits at the front of the class and asks unnecessary questions so that the lecturer will notice you.

Your mates are business owners employing people.

Stay there and be doing "class captain".

Mumu

(1) (Reply)

Deslog Energy Services Limited / Animal Care Services Konsult (nigeria) Ltd / VACANCY: Teachers Needed In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.