Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,909 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige (21770 Views)

New Salary Scale/table Issued On ₦30,000 Minimum Wage / FG May Retain Npower Volunteers / Labour Rejects N30,000 Minimum Wage Offer By House Of Representatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:19am On Oct 04, 2019
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, announced on Thursday that the Federal Government would have to lay off workers to be able to meet a wage bill of N580 billion needed to meet labour’s demand on the new wage.

Ngige told labour leaders in Abuja that the sum was what would be needed by government to pay the consequential adjustments as demanded by labour.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the minister’s announcement is the latest in the increasing drama over payment of the new wage.
A Bill for the New Minimum Wage was signed into law by President Muhammadu Buhari on April 18.
Ngige was speaking when the leadership of the United Labour Congress (ULC), paid him a courtesy visit in his office.

Government and labour have been locked in an endless tussle over modalities for the payment of the new wage, long expected by workers.

Ngige said that Federal Government was avoiding a situation where it would have to lay off workers, noting that throwing workers into unemployment would add to their burden.

The minister pleaded with labour to accept the consequential adjustment from levels 7 to 17, adding that government had only three months left to implement the new wage.

He stated that government would not promise labour what it could not pay, noting that no worker deserved to be owed salary.

Ngige disclosed that the Federal Government had so far paid arrears of N500 billion to workers, including the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

He restated that implementation of the new wage had since commenced for workers on grade level 1 to 6, adding that the development had helped those on the lower cadre in the civil service to move up.

It will be recalled that government had told labour unions that it could only pay 9.5 per cent salary raise for employees on grade levels 07 to14 and five per cent for those on grade levels 15 to17.

But labour is demanding 30 per cent raise for officers on grade levels 07 to 14 and 25 per cent for those on grade levels 15-17.

Public sector workers in Nigeria receive some of the lowest pay cheques in the world, although political office holders receive fat salaries, according to analysts.

The President of UCL, Mr Joe Ajaero, appealed for payment of the new wage, stressing that the private sector should also be compelled to pay the N30, 000 minimum wage.

He said there was need to review obsolete laws that were not in tune with present realities, noting that a situation where some private sector employers paid their employees N10, 000 and N15, 000 was unacceptable.

SOURCE: https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2019/10/minimum-wage-fg-may-sack-workers-says-ngige/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Warlexzzy(m): 7:22am On Oct 04, 2019
Nawaooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Christonjnr(m): 7:32am On Oct 04, 2019
The Govt of Nigeria is the most insensitive type of govt in the world, where senators package as much 30m in a monthly basics as their respective salaries and allawances without contributing anything to the country ,Som even go as far as lookin billions from their constituency project allocations.
common to implement 30,000 minimum wage is a big things to do.
may God help the common man in this nation

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Abfinest007(m): 7:34am On Oct 04, 2019
when the head is sick the whole body will be sick

10 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Tsolutionifede(m): 7:39am On Oct 04, 2019
Buari is a badluck, it is hidden and it is as a result of his past deeds(normal blood spilling nature of him, couple with innocent blood that had been wasted during his military service, normal with Nigeria solders). I pray it only affect people that don't want progress of Nigeria. I still blame Goodluck Jonathan, full of luck, but too weak to govern. Na who Nigeria offend self

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:46am On Oct 04, 2019
I was expecting this statement from government.

Well most government workers just resume every day to gist and sell wares.
I wonder what workers in the water, steel etc do in office daily? Some of their offices are in terrible state.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Criticaltemp: 8:55am On Oct 04, 2019
What is wrong with this people
Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:55am On Oct 04, 2019
We have written this more than once here.....
Hope it can get to the right sources.

HOW NIGERIA CAN PAY MINIMUM WAGE COMFORTABLY.......... [/color]

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce number of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS e.g; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders.
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics.
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT.
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

With (1) + (2) Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N65,000 comfortably

3. Move Nigeria MORE to Private Sector Driven Economy
a) Privatise ALL MOST of Federal Govt PARASTATALS & reduce Federal Direct Funded AGENCIES to 68% of the present.
b) Privatise ALL of STATE Govt PARASTATALS & reduce State Direct Funded AGENCIES to 19% of the present.
c) Reduce current DIRECT LABOUR JOB participation by 49%
d) Encourage more Working Hours until Nigeria economic stabilizes
e) Discourage UNIONISM in Public Workforce

With (1) + (2) + (3), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N101,500 comfortably.

4) [color=#990000]Institute DEATH PENALTY to proven THEFT OF PUBLIC FUNDS no matter how little, and LIFE Jail Sentences for COLLABORATORS.

With (1) + (2) + (3) & (4), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N203,500 comfortably.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

TroubleMaker47:

Very apt. Especially no (4)
I would add death sentence of any corrupt judicial officer! The rot in Nigeria arose from a failed judiciary!
From impunity to jungle justice to electoral fraud, to comatose educational system etc.
If Nigeria must work then corrupt judges myst pay the ultimate price!
for president 2023 cheesy
Lol cheesy.
In Jesus name and Insha Allah.
PYO, Aka STARBOY will be our next president in 2023.

Btw, we don't do politics, especially Naija kinda politics.
All we want is a better Nigeria.
We have no other country to call our own.
You are very right with your points also Troublemaker! wink
GiantParrot:

This, in my opinion, is one of the top posts on Nairaland's politics session.
Good to know we have reasonable people on this forum to concur with this.
Thank you.

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by hisexcellency34: 8:55am On Oct 04, 2019
VAT Increment
Toll Gate
Fuel Increase
Now...
Retrenchment
Which kain Next Level Be This?

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by myfan: 8:55am On Oct 04, 2019
Sack workers to increase pay for others? Question is, who are those to receive the retrenchment letter if not those who don't have godfathers and mothers at the top? This country is a big mess.

And Buhari government is the worst of it all. After all their strategies increasing taxes and charges everywhere, they still cannot meet up with minimum wage of 30k and now want to resort to retrenchment.

WHAT A SHAME TO BUHARI!

WHAT A SHAME TO BUHARI GOVERNMENT!!

WHAT A SHAME TO APC!!!

11 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 04, 2019
grin grin grin grin

grin grin
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by yomalex(m): 8:56am On Oct 04, 2019
undecidedH blackmail I think

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Zeinymira(f): 8:56am On Oct 04, 2019
Make NLC strike abeg.
Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by fk002: 8:56am On Oct 04, 2019
So Buhari is clueless on what he hurriedly signed and pushed to the Assembly for final signing that time?

Ohh I get it now I think he signed it thinking that the Assembly (under Saraki) wont endorse it and Nigerians will balme them right? Now that they have signed the presidency is caught in a trap thats why they are bringing all these horse sh!t up...

I hate Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:56am On Oct 04, 2019
Tsolutionifede:
Buari is a badluck, it is hidden and it is as a result of his past deeds(normal blood spilling nature of him, couple with innocent blood that had been wasted during his military service, normal with Nigeria solders). I pray it only affect people that don't want progress of Nigeria. I still blame Goodluck Jonathan, full of luck, but too weak to govern. Na who Nigeria offend self
...it...affects...

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Opinedecandid(m): 8:58am On Oct 04, 2019
I'm not surprised and I won't be if Buhari does so.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Toks2008(m): 8:58am On Oct 04, 2019
Christonjnr:
The Govt of Nigeria is the most insensitive type of govt in the world, where senators package as much 30m in a monthly basics as their respective salaries and allawances without contributing anything to the country ,Som even go as far as lookin billions from their constituency project allocations.
common to implement 30,000 minimum wage is a big things to do.
may God help the common man in this nation

This is just about £75 a month and I know a country that pays about £700 job seekers allowance a month to each of their citizens who no get job.

4 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Eberex(m): 8:59am On Oct 04, 2019
These guys are real THIEVES!!!

If you really want to help the masses why not reduce the allowance House of REP and Lawmakers collect? Why not do something about their own excess money?

I am fed up with this country.

Hatred everywhere!

5 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by moyinoluwabun(m): 8:59am On Oct 04, 2019
OK. Idiot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by crazycrypto710: 9:00am On Oct 04, 2019
I know it was only a matter of time before they start talking about laying off workers. Hmm!

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by jericco1(m): 9:00am On Oct 04, 2019
dang!
Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by obembet(f): 9:00am On Oct 04, 2019
Welcome development. Sack them its part of Next level agenda. Let them enjoy it. Useless people voted for Useless leaders and it's time to enjoy thier useless agenda.

#Free Sowore.

6 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by alfsalami: 9:01am On Oct 04, 2019
Tsolutionifede:
your keeping quiet would have made more sense and better for you
Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by myfan: 9:02am On Oct 04, 2019
GrammarNazi1:

...it...affects...

See this one o. Are you that jobless?

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Trustme2(m): 9:03am On Oct 04, 2019
Welcome to next level change grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by eliok(m): 9:04am On Oct 04, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Badonasty(m): 9:04am On Oct 04, 2019
Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by blackboy2star(m): 9:04am On Oct 04, 2019
Next Level loading... why sack workers when you guys employed unneccessary aides with bonuses and Senates having their fare share in the national cake.... oyah sack nah make we start strike

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by Emedu(m): 9:04am On Oct 04, 2019
h

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by chloride6: 9:04am On Oct 04, 2019
See threat oooh

grin grin grin grin
Re: Minimum Wage: FG May Sack Workers, Says Ngige by wunmi590(m): 9:05am On Oct 04, 2019
shocked

Honestly, if any Nigerian still believe this country will be great, you are on your own, just because you increased minimum wage to a meagre pay, they have resort to sack staff, just to pay the crumb of a salary.

We have politicians earning x50 of a yearly salary of a civil servant.

I have long lost hope in this country, because I have not benefitted anything from this country not to tall of the government since I was born.

Best is just to leave this country to a saner country where you would be tax more and see what your money is being used for.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Married People With Children Earning Below 30k, How Do You Survive? / Npower: How The Soft Loan Will Be Disbursed By The CBN / 2016 Federal Civil Service Commission Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.