Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? (24038 Views)

Great Benefits Of Registering Your Business With Corporate Affairs / Enforcing Trademarks In Nigeria / Cost Of Registering A Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by edoman2016: 7:17pm On May 05, 2017
Please, I will like to know how much it will cost to register a trademark for my brand name. I just want to set up a business and I need to trademark the name. The problem is that I only have 25,000 naira with me and I don't know if it will be enough to do it.

If you have experience with trademark registration in Nigeria, kindly advice me on how to go about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by edoman2016: 1:25pm On May 06, 2017
Don't just view. Kindly post comments. Moderator, please push this thread to front page. It will help budding entrepreneurs like me in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by umar745(m): 2:49pm On May 06, 2017
Here's what a quick Google search showed me.

[b]
The Trade Marks Act; Chapter 436; Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990 provides for Trademarks and Patents in Nigeria. A trademark is a symbol or a sign which differentiates the goods and services of one business from another one. You can register your trademark - a name, logo, slogan, domain name, shape, colour or sound with the Commercial Law department, Ministry of Trade and Investment in Nigeria. This can legally protect your trademark from use by a competitor. The trademark must be distinctive for the goods and services that you provide, not be deceptive, illegal or immoral and not be similar to existing trademarks.

A trademark provides protection to the owner of the mark by ensuring the exclusive right to use it to identify goods or services, or to authorize another to use it in return for payment. The period of protection varies, but a trademark can be renewed indefinitely beyond the time limit on payment of additional fees. Trademark protection is enforced by the courts, which in most systems have the authority to block trademark infringement.

In a larger sense, trademarks promote initiative and enterprise worldwide by rewarding the owners of trademarks with recognition and financial profit. Trademark protection also hinders the efforts of unfair competitors, such as counterfeiters, to use similar distinctive signs to market inferior or different products or services. The system enables people with skill and enterprise to produce and market goods and services in the fairest possible conditions, thereby facilitating international trade.

REQUIREMENTS FOR FILING NIGERIAN TRADE MARK APPLICATIONS

Applicant's details

The full name(s), nationality and physical address of the applicant (to be advised to local Agent/Attorney).

The trademark Information

The Representation must be clear and distinct. If to be filed online, soft copies are to be provided in jpeg format at a minimum of 1200 dpi.

A representation is preferred to have the following dimensions: 120px by 100px (length by breath)

Goods

The full range of goods covered or proposed to be covered by the trade mark. Nigeria presently follows the International Classification of Goods. A separate application is filed for each classification of goods for which the trade mark is to be registered.

Power of Attorney/Authorization of Agent

A Power of Attorney simply signed, with full particulars of name(s), address (es) and nationality of the applicant(s). Full name(s) and capacity of the signatory when applicant is a firm/company.
PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF TRADE MARKS

The usual market practice is to instruct a local Attorney/Agent in Nigeria, who would file and process applications at the Nigerian Registry of Trade Marks, Patents, Designs and Copyright. A Power of Attorney/Authorization of Agent Form would be completed in favor of such local Agent, as the enabling instrument to act for the principal/ Applicant. Thereafter, all official documents and forms would be submitted by the local Agent/Attorney. Until replaced or substituted by another local Agent, the local Agent remains responsible for processing registrations of the marks, defending Oppositions (if any), provides address for local service of documents, and maintains renewals of the marks. A local Agent/Attorney may be replaced or substituted by executing another Power of Attorney/Authorization of Agent Form in favor of the succeeding Agent. NO formal notices are necessary and the Agent with the more recent Authorization is deemed to be the one with powers to act thenceforth.

After filing the application for trade mark registration, the Registrar issues an official acknowledgement reflecting the official number and filing date of the application. A preliminary search is conducted as to distinctiveness from existing and pending registrations. The Registrar examines the application for registrability taking into consideration possible conflicts with prior registered or pending marks and or inherent

[/b]

Is your company registered with CAC?
I seriously doubt 25k will do anything.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by edoman2016: 4:43pm On May 06, 2017
Yes, my company is already registered with CAC. It seems I will need the services of a lawyer to process trademark in Nigeria. And it seems there office is in Abuja only and not in Lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by tillaman(m): 7:33am On May 07, 2017
Ok
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by osumak2: 7:33am On May 07, 2017
tongue
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:33am On May 07, 2017
About 15,000 in total to get registered in CAC.
Contact a lawyer for better information on trademarks

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by sleeknick: 7:34am On May 07, 2017
It's free... Just carry ur razor blade to ur village native doctor... They will mark you for free

11 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:35am On May 07, 2017
Someone enlighten about it, should pls tell us.
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Flexherbal(m): 7:35am On May 07, 2017
I need to know, as well.
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:36am On May 07, 2017
Here to learn
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by kings09(m): 7:38am On May 07, 2017
Depends on the corrupt officer in charge

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by MrJaydpro: 7:40am On May 07, 2017
sleeknick:
It's free... Just carry ur razor blade to ur village native doctor... They will mark you for free

Did you intend to be funny?? Even AY is funnier. Mtcheeew

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by mouaue: 7:40am On May 07, 2017
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:42am On May 07, 2017
sleeknick:
We are not talking about tribal marks sir!!!

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by ekojoe(m): 7:46am On May 07, 2017
MrJaydpro:

Did you intend to be funny?? Even AY is funnier. Mtcheeew

You just made my day grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by permit(m): 7:47am On May 07, 2017
edoman2016:
Don't just view. Kindly post comments. Moderator, please push this thread to front page. It will help budding entrepreneurs like me in Nigeria.
ahs please epp a broda
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by OgbeniSir(m): 7:54am On May 07, 2017
edoman2016:
Please, I will like to know how much it will cost to register a trademark for my brand name. I just want to set up a business and I need to trademark the name. The problem is that I only have 25,000 naira with me and I don't know if it will be enough to do it.

If you have experience with trademark registration in Nigeria, kindly advice me on how to go about it.

35k will do it for you. I just registered my own agro products trademarks at ministry of trade. If you want the contacts of the Oga that did mine let me know

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by jimmysho(m): 7:56am On May 07, 2017
30-40k but it can take a month ooo. Not those fake application and acknowledge letters.
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by bravesoul247(m): 7:58am On May 07, 2017
edoman2016:

If it's to register a business name that you mean in CAC then I can help you with it. Contact me on 08137137224.
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by smartty68(m): 8:02am On May 07, 2017
sleeknick:

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by MultiCEO1: 8:03am On May 07, 2017
OgbeniSir:

35k will do it for you. I just registered my own agro products trademarks at ministry of trade. If you want the contacts of the Oga that did mine let me know

Please, can I get the contact? I need to register a trade mark too.
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by smartty68(m): 8:05am On May 07, 2017
edoman2016:

Also go through this thread you might find something useful
https://www.nairaland.com/121/trademark-registration-nigeria

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by nandyz(m): 8:10am On May 07, 2017
[quote author=OgbeniSir post=56283556]

35k will do it for you. I just registered my own agro products trademarks at ministry of trade. If you want the contacts of the Oga that did mine let me know [/quote

[color=#550000][/color] please jus give me a flash call 08065127286.. I need to be enlighten pls

]
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Ayanfeoluwaoba(f): 8:10am On May 07, 2017
A NAFDAC registration agent will do this for you within a short period of time, I did mine together with NAFDAC for N250,000.00
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Herapal(m): 8:11am On May 07, 2017
Ambigram Creator
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by guyossy(m): 8:14am On May 07, 2017
My brother in Nigeria there is confusion in charges for everything from drivers license to international passport. That is the effect of corruption. Just go and find out what they will tell you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:18am On May 07, 2017
you don't need to register anything just do your trade how ever the hell you would like to nigeria is a lawless country no one would give a shiit if you are registered or not, infact no one would ask, no one has the time or cares if you are registered or not, no taxations no nothing! as long as you are prepared to bribe your way through, every one is corrupt including yet unborn babies their mothers womb grin it will be a waste of time trying to do the right thing in nigeria some people will even call you a "mugu" for trying to do the right thing grin

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by zikter(m): 8:22am On May 07, 2017
edoman2016:
Yes, my company is already registered with CAC. It seems I will need the services of a lawyer to process trademark in Nigeria. And it seems there office is in Abuja only and not in Lagos.
yes you are correct, it is done only in abuja. unlike before that they use to do it nationwide. well, as it is with ministries, just get to their office with ur CAC and meet a staff there. the rest of the pieces will fall in place. am not sure of the official fee but prepare with more than 25k.
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by Latty88(f): 8:24am On May 07, 2017
Just go to Ministry of Trade. Did mine for #30k
Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by omogidi234(m): 8:33am On May 07, 2017
edoman2016:

That is the correct position Sir. Trade Mark office is only in Abuja. But I think the VP is making great strides in business Registration these days.

They might consider bringing an office to each Geo Zones.

At the moment, most lawyers send applications​ to their​ colleagues in Abuja or competent staff at the TM's office. This always affect the billing.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Cost Of Registering Trademarks In Nigeria? by ipain: 8:40am On May 07, 2017
Latty88:
Just go to Ministry of Trade. Did mine for #30k
you did trademark registration or registered a business name? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN, Western Union Launch Foreign Remittance Service / Mohammed Nami: Tax Administrators Should Tax Traders, Artisans, Others / Naira Inches Towards 1000 Naira To A Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.