Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know (46669 Views)

Christian Faith - What I Believe Now - What I Do Not Believe Any More / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? / The True Founder And History Of The Catholic Church. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Werehkpe: 10:15am On May 21, 2017
Splinz:

I see. All these talk of insults is nothing but an emotional blackmail. Sorry, it doesn't work on me.

Op has no biblical backing for his rank idolatry, but the same old terrible twisting of scriptures to say what they want it to say. I asked a question which you may as well help him answer: Did Abraham asked Noah to intercede or was it Jesus that prayed for an intercession from one of His angels?

Op's submission in his bid to justify the worship (all that talk of "honoring" is a grand deception!) of Mary is simply humorous.

We need to stop abusing others who do not share our views. If you dont agree with Op's views, then just say so and support your view with Scriptural backing.

What I know is there is a reason why Catholics when praying say "Mary INTERCEDE for us" and "God have MERCY on us" From these two its quite evident who is being worshiped as a Supreme God and who is being respected.

Again we need to understand that the prayer said to d Virgin Mary is TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM THE BIBLE.

Lastly, I dont see y all these argument exists. Protestants pray directly to Jesus and He answers them. Catholics pray THROUGH MARY to Jesus and HE also answers them. So what is all the trouble about

2 Likes

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Trueigbo: 10:16am On May 21, 2017
Trueigbo:
Timothy 2:1-4New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)

Instructions concerning Prayer
2 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. 3 This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

LaClicKLaBenDin:

That's purely your opinion and it has no biblical foundation.
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 10:19am On May 21, 2017
LogicStatement you shouldnt have posted this... They will never understand it......

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by easymancfc(m): 10:20am On May 21, 2017
LaClicKLaBenDin:

That's purely your opinion and it has no biblical foundation.

oh brother.. it does..

Romans 12, 1 cor 12.. Romans 8:35-38 says nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ.. Neither death nor heights etc..

Here's a better question for you...
With what authority do you say it's just my opinion.. and it's " unbiblical",
Who made you the authority to decide what is biblical or not..
Or don't you believe all Christians have the right to interpret scriptures as directed by the spirit..
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:21am On May 21, 2017
LogicStatement:

I decided not to answer that question because simple comprehension is what is affecting you, you need to be told at this point

When someone's sole aim is winning an argument he can't c the truth right in front of him, the ansa lies in d Ops original post, oga splinz go and read it again
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Nigeriadondie: 10:21am On May 21, 2017
LogicStatement:
Q1. Why do Catholics bow to images in the church?
A: Catholics do not bow to images in order to worship them. In fact, it is condemned by God. Ex 20: 1-5 "Then God spoke all these words: I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt,b out of the house of slavery.
You shall not have other gods beside me. You shall not make for yourself an idolc or a likeness of anything* in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; you shall not bow down before them or serve them.d For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their ancestors’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation."
But in Numbers 21: 4-9, God asked Moses to make a bronze image of a snake to save the people of Isreal. "They traveled from Mount Hor along the route to the Red Sea,[a] to go around Edom. But the people grew impatient on the way; 5 they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!” 6 Then the Lord sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. 7 The people came to Moses and said, “We sinned when we spoke against the Lord and against you. Pray that the Lord will take the snakes away from us.” So Moses prayed for the people. 8 The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” 9 So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived."

Now, would you say that God who instructed us not to make images in Genesis is the one instructing Moses in Numbers to make an image of a serpent? Can God contradict Himself? Absolutely not! God did not say images should not be made, but He is against worshiping such images. Therefore, it is imperative to note that God is not against the making of image but against the act of worshiping them. We all have images (pictures or sculptures) in our homes and offices hung on our walls or placed in the house but do we worship them? I doubt! We put them there for beautification, honour and remembrance. Example is the statue of Herbert Macaulay on the Island in Lagos. That statue is not made there for worship but for remembrance and honour and also, it beautifies the area.
Therefore, making of an image is not a sin in itself but worshiping them and acknowledging them the status of God is a sin for God is a jealous God.

Q2: Why does the Catholic Bible have 73 books, while the Protestant Bible has only 66 books?
The Catholic is the church that compiled the bible in about 367 AD when St. Athanasius came up with a list of 73 books for the Bible that he believed to be divinely inspired. This list was finally approved by Pope Damasus I in 382 AD, and was formally approved by the Church Council of Rome in that same year. Later Councils at Hippo (393 AD) and Carthage (397 AD) ratified this list of 73 books. In 405 AD, Pope Innocent I wrote a letter to the Bishop of Toulouse reaffirming this canon of 73 books. In 419 AD, the Council of Carthage reaffirmed this list, which Pope Boniface agreed to. In 16th century, Martin Luther discarded with some books in the bible which he believed does not conform with his own view of theology. Initially, he disagreed with 7 books in the Old Testament which are Tobit, Judith, Baruch, Wisdom, Sirach, First Maccabees, and Second Maccabees, as well as additional verses of Daniel and Esther. These books are called the “deuterocanon”, or second canon, by Catholics, and the “apocrypha”, or hidden/obscure, by Protestants (Christians who protest against the Catholic Church) and also, some books in the New Testament which include James, Hebrews, Jude, and Revelation. He actually said that he wanted to “throw Jimmy into the fire”, and that the book of James was “an epistle of straw.” What is strange is that Luther eventually accepted all 27 books of the New Testament that the Catholic Pope Damasus I had approved of in 382 AD, but didn’t accept his Old Testament list. Hence, the 66 books in the Protestant's bible and the foremost of them is King James version which was first compiled by Martin Luther with the help of King Henry VIII in year 1081. Martin Luther was excommunicated by the church for his rebellious act against the body of Christ and for re-inventing his own bible.
This topic is well explained in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3782829/why-catholic-church-bible-different

Q3: Why do Priests wear different colours of vestments for different occasions
A: The priest wears 5 different colours of vestment during the celebration of Holy Mass depending on the occasion or feast. These vestments are:
Red Vestment: This is worn to celebrate a saint who was killed or martyred.
White Vestment: This signifies purity. It is worn to celebrate Holy Mass during the feat of a saint who died natural death, for virgin Mary's day and also, to signify the holiness of Jesus Christ.
Purple Vestment: Purple signifies royalty and therefore, it is worn during advent (starting 4 weeks to Christmas) in preparation to coming of the King of kings- Jesus Christ.
Gold Vestment: This is worn during the celebration of the church e.g. Golden jubilee, anniversaries etc
Green Vestment: This is worn during ordinary time. Green signifies life.

Q4: Why do Catholics honour Mary?
A: Catholics honour Mary because of the position she occupies in the life of Christ, Christians and importantly, the special grace and favour bestowed upon her by God himself. Jn 19: 25-27 tells us how Jesus on the cross handed over Mary to the disciple He loved to be his mother. The disciple at that moment represented Christians whom Christ loves and handed over his mother to be our mother also. It is logical that the mother of your mentor is your mother also and so, you accord her same respect and honour your mentor will accord her as well. Gen 3:16, Rev 12: 1-7 and Is 7:10 show how God acknowledges the importance of Mary to mankind and thus bestow upon her the highest favour given to any man before or after her. Lk 1: 26-38; 40-42 tells us how angel Gabriel conveyed the mind of God to Mary revealing to her how much favour God has bestowed upon her thus saying to her "hail Mary, full of grace..." and also the greetings of her cousin Elizabeth, "Of all women, you are the most blessed." This greeting was not from Elizabeth herself but inspired by the Spirit of God which through the confirmation she got when the baby in her womb leapt for joy on sighting Mary. These greetings gladdens Mary heart (Lk 2:19). It should be noted that act of honour should not be mistaken for worship. Catholics do not worship Mary because she is NOT God and will never be. The church honours her in a similar way we honour our biological mothers (though in a special way because of the special grace she carries). In Ex 20:12, God asks us to honour our father and mother.

Q5: Does Mary have other Children?
Mary had no other children apart from Jesus. If Mary had other children, Jesus would not have asked the disciple to take Mary home and care for her if not, other children of hers would have been able to do that. Would it not be a slap on the faces of other children that an outsider would take their mother home to take care when they are still alive? Also, Lk 2:41-49 tells us how Jesus was forgotten in the temple by his parents and later found him in the temple preaching after searching for him for 3 days. "Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Festival of the Passover. 42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to the festival, according to the custom. 43 After the festival was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.” Jesus was 12 years old during this time, and if he had other siblings, would Joseph and Mary left them behind to go to Jerusalem only with Jesus since it is the custom to go with all members of the family? In Matt 12:46, it is written that Jesus's mother and brothers were waiting outside anxious to have a word with him. Does that mean Jesus had other siblings? The first recorded argument was between St. Jerome and another fourth-century theologian, Helvidius, who had written that after the virgin birth of Jesus, Mary had other children with her husband, Joseph. St. Jerome disagreed, indicating that by the fourth century at least some of the church community believed that Mary had stayed a virgin for the rest of her life. These children of Mary, Jerome said, were from Mary of Clopas, Jesus’ aunt and his mother’s sister, making them cousins. He claimed that the Greek word "adelphios" could refer to cousins, not just biological siblings. Same way in Yoruba language, "cousin" has no word instead "aburo" or "egbon" can be used for a biological sibling or relative. Also, if Jesus had sibling, they would have been present during his crucifixion with Mary. In John 19:25, where she is among the women present at the Crucifixion of Jesus: "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, Mary and His mother's sister, Mary [the wife] of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene." Note that Jesus' mother's sister is also called Mary in this passage but can two biological sisters called the same name within a nuclear family? That proves that Mary the wife of Clopas is not the biological sister of Mary mother of Jesus but a relative because in Greek from where English bible is translated from has no word for cousin or aunt or uncle but once they are related are called brothers or sisters.

Q6: Why do Catholics don't pray for the death of their enemy or curse them but rather, pray for their conversion?
A: In Matt 5: 43-45, Jesus instructs us to love our enemies and pray for those who hate us. 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Act 7:55-60, 1Pt 3:8 and 1Cor 3:17 state this fact as well for there is rejoice among the angels of God when a sinner repents (Lk: 15:10)

Q7: Is drinking a sin?
A: Drinking is not a sin, rather getting drunk is a sin (Ep 5:18). Jesus turned water to wine (Jn 2: 1-12). 1Tim 3:8 "In the same way, deacons[b] are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain." This shows that drinking of wine is not sin in itself but getting drunk by drinking much of it is sin. Jesus took wine when he was offered vinegar while on the cross (Matt 27: 48). If drinking was a sin, He wouldn't have accepted it. Vinegar wine contains 5-20% acetic acid; 5-8% alcohol. Wine is taken in heaven as well (Matt 26: 26-29).
Nairalanders relax I am loading the response to each of the points raised and all the falsehoods would be exposed.
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:24am On May 21, 2017
kabasa77:

Go and read your Bible, the Bible says it categorically that we have one intercessor and Mediator.. Jesus Christ.. Same Bible also says I am the way, the truth and the life, no one, I mean no one comes to the Father except by me, Jesus, not through the Saints or through Mary.. Bible is very clear on that

Oga what u r referring to and the prayer of intercession are two different tins, if u r willing to know with an open mind I'll tell u
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 10:28am On May 21, 2017
easymancfc:

oh brother.. it does..

Romans 12, 1 cor 12.. Romans 8:35-38 says nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ.. Neither death nor heights etc..

Here's a better question for you...
With what authority do you say it's just my opinion.. and it's " unbiblical",
Who made you the authority to decide what is biblical or not..
Or don't you believe all Christians have the right to interpret scriptures as directed by the spirit..

Just show me anywhere in the Bible that talks about saints in heaving making intercession and I will show you in the Bible where Jesus was declared not just the mediator but also our intercessor in heaven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Teespice(f): 10:29am On May 21, 2017
purple is also worn during lent.

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by easymancfc(m): 10:30am On May 21, 2017
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Please shut up already! Their are dead saints and living saints!
The ones you pray to are dead to us, even if they are living in heaven! And let me categorically say this: no saint in heaven can in heaven can ever intervened for you.

The job of intercession belongs exclusively to Jesus!
Again you're wrong...

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the SPIRIT HIMSELF INTERCEDES FOR US with sighs too deep for words.

Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four ELDERS fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the PRAYERS of THE SAINTS;

rev 8: 3And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God

these verses clearly state that the Holy Spirit, Elders in heaven and Angels play a role in intercession

3 Likes

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Rich4god(m): 10:31am On May 21, 2017
Splinz:

Unfortunately for you and your band of travelers, the Inquisition and Crusades set up by the Synagogue of Satan that called itself the Catholic church, couldn't and can never prevail over the true Church of God.

It's only a matter of time- a fulfilment of prophecy, Babylon where you are- a cage of every foul spirit, will be destroyed alongside her ruler, Satan.

So, worship your big & small idols while it last.
I bet you, without those crusades, probably by now, you wld have been hitting your head on the ground, five times a day facing Saudi Arabia...
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by easymancfc(m): 10:34am On May 21, 2017
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Just show me anywhere in the Bible that talks about saints in heaving making intercession and I will show you in the Bible where Jesus was declared not just the mediator but also our intercessor in heaven.

Rev 5:8.. 8:3, Romans 8:26

We believe Jesus is the one mediator between God and man according to 1 Tim 2:5, you misquote the context.. read the verse after it

1 Tim 2: 5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 WHO GAVE HIMSELF as a RANSOM FOR ALL, the testimony to which was borne at the proper time..

It's the same thing 1 John 2 says

1 john 2:1bwe have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and he is the expiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

IT'S IN THIS ASPECT THAT JESUS IS THE ONE MEDIATOR OF THE NEW COVENANT.. WE BELIEVE THIS BECAUSE WE KNOW MARY AND THE SAINTS DID NOT DIE FOR OUR SINS ONLY JESUS DID..

BUT IN TERMS OF PRAYERS .. WE CAN ALL PRAY FOR EACH OTHER

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by dingbang(m): 10:36am On May 21, 2017
See people who call themselves Christians.... Mchew..

We should ask ourselves, have we kept the lord's commandments? Instead of dragging which religion is right....
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 10:37am On May 21, 2017
easymancfc:

Again you're wrong...

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the SPIRIT HIMSELF INTERCEDES FOR US with sighs too deep for words.

Rev 5:8 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four ELDERS fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the PRAYERS of THE SAINTS;

rev 8: 3And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God

these verses clearly state that the Holy Spirit, Elders in heaven and Angels play a role in intercession

I pity your gross ignorance!

So, the spirit is now dead saints?
Please tell me who those elders in that passage are!
The prayers of the saints mentioned there, are the prayers of the saints here on earth: ◄ Psalm 141:2 ►

New International Version
May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

New Living Translation
Accept my prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering.

English Standard Version
Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

You, my friend, are grossly ignorant and misguided!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by CanadianNurse: 10:38am On May 21, 2017
doyinbaby:
Why do Catholics pray to Mary and other dead saints ...also why do Catholics pray to God through Mary and through dead saints...........many protestants including me find it difficult to understand this aspect of the life of Catholics
if you can ask your pastor to pray for you why can't I ask Mary to pray for me? If you can respect and honour your pastor and his wife why can't I honour and respect Mary.... It's simple

2 Likes

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:39am On May 21, 2017
kabasa77:

Mr Man read up above and see where I answered that.. Stop repeating yourself

Mary died like every other Christian and was buried.. Your questions shows you are a baby in christ. Am done answering you

Oga ur ANSA's are contradictory, go and sit down,.ur are disgracing pentecostals

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by doyinbaby(f): 10:42am On May 21, 2017
CanadianNurse:
if you can ask your pastor to pray for you why can't I ask Mary to pray for me? If you can respect and honour your pastor and his wife why can't I honour and respect Mary.... It's simple
ok sir
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by miketayo(m): 10:46am On May 21, 2017
Splinz:

Who is a protestant? Where is the insult and the superior argument?

Seems you're a starter in this forum. I'd advice you to go for more studies. At least learn better ways of twisting Scriptures to somehow support your idolatry.

Your outing here is nothing but a disaster. Such wicked butchering of the truths!

Ur mind is closed even if God comes down u still wont agree.
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2017
kabasa77:

My brother you are getting it wrong, when you are taking about intercession, there are two parts to it.. First, as Christians we can pray for one another, Bible even says we should carry one another burden, but the second part of intercession is pleading on behalf of a person for the wrong such a person committed.. That's where Jesus has the sole authority, Mary cannot plead for ur sins, thats blasphemy, firstly she was never the one that died on the cross, only Jesus who died on the cross has that Authority.. So when you talk about intercession, you must understand the context...

See this guy done dey explain intercession dey break am into two now nah asking Mary to beg for ur sins be wrong, what If u no tell am to beg for ur sins, moreover I tink catholics go for confession , dey dnt ask Mary to forgive their sins

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by easymancfc(m): 10:48am On May 21, 2017
LaClicKLaBenDin:

I pity your gross ignorance!

So, the spirit is now dead saints?
Please tell me who those elders in that passage are!
The prayers of the saints mentioned there, are the prayers of the saints here on earth: ◄ Psalm 141:2 ►

New International Version
May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

New Living Translation
Accept my prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering.

English Standard Version
Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!

You, my friend, are grossly ignorant and misguided!

you say am ignorant.. but it's you who's ignorant because you didn't even read to understand..

if the Saints in rev 5:8 are on earth then it proves my point.. The 24 elders in heaven carry the prayers of the Saints on earth to God.. making them intercessors..

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO PROVE WITH PSALMS because I know the incense is symbolic of prayers it says so right there in rev 5:8...

the issue is are the 24.elders Jesus?

there's also the issue of The holy spirit and the angels making intercession (offering our prayers and helping us to pray ). ...

YOU'RE THE ONE WHO SAID ONLY JESUS INTERCEDES FOR US IN HEAVEN.. I JUST SHOWED YOU SOME OTHERS WHO DO THROUGH JESUS

ignorance indeed

4 Likes

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by chiefolododo(m): 10:49am On May 21, 2017
Catholic..
LogicStatement:
Q1. Why do Catholics bow to images in the church?
A: Catholics do not bow to images in order to worship them. In fact, it is condemned by God. Ex 20: 1-5 "Then God spoke all these words: I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt,b out of the house of slavery.
You shall not have other gods beside me. You shall not make for yourself an idolc or a likeness of anything* in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters beneath the earth; you shall not bow down before them or serve them.d For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their ancestors’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation."
But in Numbers 21: 4-9, God asked Moses to make a bronze image of a snake to save the people of Isreal. "They traveled from Mount Hor along the route to the Red Sea,[a] to go around Edom. But the people grew impatient on the way; 5 they spoke against God and against Moses, and said, “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!” 6 Then the Lord sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. 7 The people came to Moses and said, “We sinned when we spoke against the Lord and against you. Pray that the Lord will take the snakes away from us.” So Moses prayed for the people. 8 The Lord said to Moses, “Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live.” 9 So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived."

Now, would you say that God who instructed us not to make images in Genesis is the one instructing Moses in Numbers to make an image of a serpent? Can God contradict Himself? Absolutely not! God did not say images should not be made, but He is against worshiping such images. Therefore, it is imperative to note that God is not against the making of image but against the act of worshiping them. We all have images (pictures or sculptures) in our homes and offices hung on our walls or placed in the house but do we worship them? I doubt! We put them there for beautification, honour and remembrance. Example is the statue of Herbert Macaulay on the Island in Lagos. That statue is not made there for worship but for remembrance and honour and also, it beautifies the area.
Therefore, making of an image is not a sin in itself but worshiping them and acknowledging them the status of God is a sin for God is a jealous God.

Q2: Why does the Catholic Bible have 73 books, while the Protestant Bible has only 66 books?
The Catholic is the church that compiled the bible in about 367 AD when St. Athanasius came up with a list of 73 books for the Bible that he believed to be divinely inspired. This list was finally approved by Pope Damasus I in 382 AD, and was formally approved by the Church Council of Rome in that same year. Later Councils at Hippo (393 AD) and Carthage (397 AD) ratified this list of 73 books. In 405 AD, Pope Innocent I wrote a letter to the Bishop of Toulouse reaffirming this canon of 73 books. In 419 AD, the Council of Carthage reaffirmed this list, which Pope Boniface agreed to. In 16th century, Martin Luther discarded with some books in the bible which he believed does not conform with his own view of theology. Initially, he disagreed with 7 books in the Old Testament which are Tobit, Judith, Baruch, Wisdom, Sirach, First Maccabees, and Second Maccabees, as well as additional verses of Daniel and Esther. These books are called the “deuterocanon”, or second canon, by Catholics, and the “apocrypha”, or hidden/obscure, by Protestants (Christians who protest against the Catholic Church) and also, some books in the New Testament which include James, Hebrews, Jude, and Revelation. He actually said that he wanted to “throw Jimmy into the fire”, and that the book of James was “an epistle of straw.” What is strange is that Luther eventually accepted all 27 books of the New Testament that the Catholic Pope Damasus I had approved of in 382 AD, but didn’t accept his Old Testament list. Hence, the 66 books in the Protestant's bible and the foremost of them is King James version which was first compiled by Martin Luther with the help of King Henry VIII in year 1081. Martin Luther was excommunicated by the church for his rebellious act against the body of Christ and for re-inventing his own bible.
This topic is well explained in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3782829/why-catholic-church-bible-different

Q3: Why do Priests wear different colours of vestments for different occasions
A: The priest wears 5 different colours of vestment during the celebration of Holy Mass depending on the occasion or feast. These vestments are:
Red Vestment: This is worn to celebrate a saint who was killed or martyred.
White Vestment: This signifies purity. It is worn to celebrate Holy Mass during the feat of a saint who died natural death, for virgin Mary's day and also, to signify the holiness of Jesus Christ.
Purple Vestment: Purple signifies royalty and therefore, it is worn during advent (starting 4 weeks to Christmas) in preparation to coming of the King of kings- Jesus Christ.
Gold Vestment: This is worn during the celebration of the church e.g. Golden jubilee, anniversaries etc
Green Vestment: This is worn during ordinary time. Green signifies life.

Q4: Why do Catholics honour Mary?
A: Catholics honour Mary because of the position she occupies in the life of Christ, Christians and importantly, the special grace and favour bestowed upon her by God himself. Jn 19: 25-27 tells us how Jesus on the cross handed over Mary to the disciple He loved to be his mother. The disciple at that moment represented Christians whom Christ loves and handed over his mother to be our mother also. It is logical that the mother of your mentor is your mother also and so, you accord her same respect and honour your mentor will accord her as well. Gen 3:16, Rev 12: 1-7 and Is 7:10 show how God acknowledges the importance of Mary to mankind and thus bestow upon her the highest favour given to any man before or after her. Lk 1: 26-38; 40-42 tells us how angel Gabriel conveyed the mind of God to Mary revealing to her how much favour God has bestowed upon her thus saying to her "hail Mary, full of grace..." and also the greetings of her cousin Elizabeth, "Of all women, you are the most blessed." This greeting was not from Elizabeth herself but inspired by the Spirit of God which through the confirmation she got when the baby in her womb leapt for joy on sighting Mary. These greetings gladdens Mary heart (Lk 2:19). It should be noted that act of honour should not be mistaken for worship. Catholics do not worship Mary because she is NOT God and will never be. The church honours her in a similar way we honour our biological mothers (though in a special way because of the special grace she carries). In Ex 20:12, God asks us to honour our father and mother.

Q5: Does Mary have other Children?
Mary had no other children apart from Jesus. If Mary had other children, Jesus would not have asked the disciple to take Mary home and care for her if not, other children of hers would have been able to do that. Would it not be a slap on the faces of other children that an outsider would take their mother home to take care when they are still alive? Also, Lk 2:41-49 tells us how Jesus was forgotten in the temple by his parents and later found him in the temple preaching after searching for him for 3 days. "Every year Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem for the Festival of the Passover. 42 When he was twelve years old, they went up to the festival, according to the custom. 43 After the festival was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. 45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.” Jesus was 12 years old during this time, and if he had other siblings, would Joseph and Mary left them behind to go to Jerusalem only with Jesus since it is the custom to go with all members of the family? In Matt 12:46, it is written that Jesus's mother and brothers were waiting outside anxious to have a word with him. Does that mean Jesus had other siblings? The first recorded argument was between St. Jerome and another fourth-century theologian, Helvidius, who had written that after the virgin birth of Jesus, Mary had other children with her husband, Joseph. St. Jerome disagreed, indicating that by the fourth century at least some of the church community believed that Mary had stayed a virgin for the rest of her life. These children of Mary, Jerome said, were from Mary of Clopas, Jesus’ aunt and his mother’s sister, making them cousins. He claimed that the Greek word "adelphios" could refer to cousins, not just biological siblings. Same way in Yoruba language, "cousin" has no word instead "aburo" or "egbon" can be used for a biological sibling or relative. Also, if Jesus had sibling, they would have been present during his crucifixion with Mary. In John 19:25, where she is among the women present at the Crucifixion of Jesus: "Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, Mary and His mother's sister, Mary [the wife] of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene." Note that Jesus' mother's sister is also called Mary in this passage but can two biological sisters called the same name within a nuclear family? That proves that Mary the wife of Clopas is not the biological sister of Mary mother of Jesus but a relative because in Greek from where English bible is translated from has no word for cousin or aunt or uncle but once they are related are called brothers or sisters.

Q6: Why do Catholics don't pray for the death of their enemy or curse them but rather, pray for their conversion?
A: In Matt 5: 43-45, Jesus instructs us to love our enemies and pray for those who hate us. 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Act 7:55-60, 1Pt 3:8 and 1Cor 3:17 state this fact as well for there is rejoice among the angels of God when a sinner repents (Lk: 15:10)

Q7: Is drinking a sin?
A: Drinking is not a sin, rather getting drunk is a sin (Ep 5:18). Jesus turned water to wine (Jn 2: 1-12). 1Tim 3:8 "In the same way, deacons[b] are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain." This shows that drinking of wine is not sin in itself but getting drunk by drinking much of it is sin. Jesus took wine when he was offered vinegar while on the cross (Matt 27: 48). If drinking was a sin, He wouldn't have accepted it. Vinegar wine contains 5-20% acetic acid; 5-8% alcohol. Wine is taken in heaven as well (Matt 26: 26-29).

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Shafiiimran99: 10:49am On May 21, 2017
okekekelechib:
Some of our Protestant brothers are sick to the point that they try to dissuade others from the Mother Church(Catholic).
pls Protestants answer me, y do u call ur papas(pastors) to pray for u?
Refer to their god as " d God of papa .....".
when ur papa gives oil or water to use, u will preserve it like ur life depends on them?
Some churches now worship their pastors in the name of righteousness?
Y do u believe in ur papas more than d word of God...
After all these, u guys still say Catholics worship idols while u are d ones practicing idolatry..
thanks.
Don't mind them cos they don't even obey jesus. Jesus said they should not pray like hypocrite but they do, they pray while standin, babblin, makin noise in the church of which jesus had said it is way of hypocrite. Jesus said they should not pray in any corner or street, they go against him... They are notin but antijesus
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by ignatiuschinedu(m): 10:50am On May 21, 2017
Mary the mother of Jesus had other children after Jesus.please,ask the spirit of God for better understanding of the scripture.For the scripture itself is spirit.

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:52am On May 21, 2017
cry
Splinz:

"And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell to the earth upon his face before the ark of the LORD until the eventide, he and the elders of Israel, and put dust upon their heads" (Joshua 7:6).

How does that picture you have up there depicts Joshua lying down before the ark of the LORD? Why are you trying to drag idolaters like you into Joshua 7:6?

Besides, the ark of the LORD was the glory of the LORD in ancient Israel—a glory which has long departed. Is the idol of 'a' Mary and Jesus now the ark of the LORD?

My friend go and sit down Joshua fell to d earth upon his face, tht English no hard to understand say he kneel down with his head down nah.......English dey hard I know

3 Likes

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Shafiiimran99: 10:53am On May 21, 2017
Rich4god:
I bet you, without those crusades, probably by now, you wld have been hitting your head on the ground, five times a day facing Saudi Arabia...

And it would have been beta for him or her
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by lukaf17(m): 10:53am On May 21, 2017
Thanks op for This write up as a non christian you have enriched my knowledge about your religion
Splinz and companion are the proud people who always want to impose there opinion on others,that is what we endure every day especially in our work place and they are opportune to be the head there religious ways were imposed on us behaving like God as given assurance that they are heaven bound,ask people working with sovereign trust insurance

1 Like

Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Nobody: 10:54am On May 21, 2017
Anthropomorphism; attributing human qualities to an all Power, all knowing God. E.g God is angry, God rested, God is sorry. All that nonsense.
Humans are messing up!
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:57am On May 21, 2017
italo:

I asked you to show me where the bible told you that Mary is in heaven...but because you cannot provide it, you begin to make up a story of Mary being my saviour that I never claimed. I know she is in heaven because the Catholic Church told me. As for you how do you know? Or do you subscribe to Catholic teaching?

Yet you said Christians can intercede for other Christians on earth but once they move to heaven they lose their intercessory power.

But you cant show where the bible said the bold.

Guy them don give u sleeper hold oooo.....dem go soon smack u down nah
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Ubenedictus(m): 10:57am On May 21, 2017
italo:

So you're saying a Christian cannot pray for God to forgive another person's sins?

Hmm...this is a new heresy. Ubenedictus, did the Arian heresy go this far?
it's a new brand that adds all previous heresies and surpassed them.
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by saintmark88(m): 10:57am On May 21, 2017
italo:

I asked you to show me where the bible told you that Mary is in heaven...but because you cannot provide it, you begin to make up a story of Mary being my saviour that I never claimed. I know she is in heaven because the Catholic Church told me. As for you how do you know? Or do you subscribe to Catholic teaching?

Yet you said Christians can intercede for other Christians on earth but once they move to heaven they lose their intercessory power.

But you cant show where the bible said the bold.

Kasaba!!! Guy them don give u sleeper hold oooo.....dem go soon smack u down nah
Re: The Catholic Faith: What You Need To Know by Igboesika: 10:58am On May 21, 2017
Nice

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply)

Fulani Women In Hijab Join Lord's Chosen Members For Crusade In Kwara. Photos / Over 20 Killed At Night-Vigil In Uke, Anambra / ⚫⚫⚫⚫ Just Like God, Satan Also Has His Own Trinity Of Evil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.