Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. (3607 Views)

Reno Omokri Apologizes To Toyin Saraki For Comparing Her With Queen Elizabeth / Abdulmumin Jibrin Defends Buhari's Tooth-picking Photo By Comparing It To Obama / Stop Comparing Level Of Incompetence, Leave Jonathan Alone – Aisha Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Foxflames: 11:10pm On May 06, 2017
Like someone said... Nigeria is a lot worse than many of us realise. Forget we have nollywood, music and jollof rice

2 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by OBAGADAFFI: 11:15pm On May 06, 2017
Foxflames:
Like someone said... Nigeria is a lot worse than many of us realise. Forget we have nollywood, music and jollof rice

Nigeria is lot worse

2 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Standing5(m): 11:17pm On May 06, 2017
Rosskii:

So Gabon and Rwanda are more developed and advanced than India, correct?

You do realise that by those indices you stipulated, those two African countries surpass India.
You appear not to understand the difference between industrialization and developemt. Industry connotes automated production and development connotes better life and infrastructures to support a better life. Portions of India might be more industrialized and developed than Rwanda, but overall, Rwanda is easily capable of being more developed than India.

4 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by EVarn(m): 11:18pm On May 06, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Say what you know.

South Africa is generating more than 40k magawatt with less than 50million population.

Nigeria is yet to achieve 10k megawatts with more than 159 millions.

Whose fault is that.
Compare the industrialization between South Africa and Nigeria,SA is far more heavily industrialized,hence the huge demand for electricity.
In case you dont know,South Africa has 4 times the amount of heavy industries that Nigeria has,its not about people alone when it comes to power generation; 2/3 of South Africa's power generation goes to its industries.
I'm not supporting our ineptitude as a country,but if we want to criticize,let us be factual and unsentimental.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by MrBrownJay1(m): 11:18pm On May 06, 2017
Rosskii:

No, I will tell you that it AUTOMATICALLY has to be India because India is far more developed than Gabon.

Just like any right thinking person will decide to do business in Nigeria before Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Ghana, or any of these other tiny countries you people claim are more 'developed' than Nigeria.

What a failed way to look at a developed country.
You are blinded by you patriotism, and aint rational.

IMHO, a country (whether big or small) that has constant light and proper infrastructures, would always be more developed than one who can't even get constant electricity and/or running potable water for all its citizens.
My 2 Kobos

5 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Agbaletu: 11:22pm On May 06, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Nigeria is lot worse
Rosskii will disagree with this submission because Nigeria is the best and most developed country in Africa. Nigeria can only rival countries in Europe and Asia.
Nigerians used to be happy people but i doubt if we are now. We all hope for a better country but we should not call ourselves what we are not. It is good to tell No-Nigerians that everything is good but once we are at home let's be real.

2 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Agbaletu: 11:25pm On May 06, 2017
EVarn:
Compare the industrialization between South Africa and Nigeria,SA is far more heavily industrialized,hence the huge demand for electricity.
In case you dont know,South Africa has 4 times the amount of heavy industries that Nigeria has,its not about people alone when it comes to power generation; 2/3 of South Africa's power generation goes to its industries.
I'm not supporting our ineptitude as a country,but if we want to criticize,let us be factual and unsentimental.
Can we even power the few industries we have, let alone talking about residential buildings?

1 Like

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by OBAGADAFFI: 11:50pm On May 06, 2017
EVarn:

Ask yourself how did we less industrialized than South Africa.

Nigeria was far developed and industrialized than SA in the 80s to Early 90s.

Today most of the industries have relocated to SA, Ghana, Kenya and smaller African countries.

Just look at the mess called Ajaokota and NNPC.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by OBAGADAFFI: 11:53pm On May 06, 2017
Agbaletu:

Rosskii will disagree with this submission because Nigeria is the best and most developed country in Africa. Nigeria can only rival countries in Europe and Asia.
Nigerians used to be happy people but i doubt if we are now. We all hope for a better country but we should not call ourselves what we are not. It is good to tell No-Nigerians that everything is good but once we are at home let's be real.

That's why Fela called us suffering and smiling people​.

We always find comfort in our tragedy.

5 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Blue3k2: 12:01am On May 07, 2017
Foxflames:
What is OP saying. Take a look at this picture

Nigerians are too full of excuses it's disgusting. Nigeria is 6 most populous nation in world. There's only a few other place to compare it to. This type of thinking holds us back.

1 Like

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by HughJazz(m): 5:12am On May 07, 2017
All of you here are stupid. I live in the richest country in the world yes the richest, but you can't compare it to the US or china. Population is big factor. I'll move to US or china in a heartbeat if I can. Some nigerians are so daft how can you compare Zimbabwe to nigeria or benin republic to nigeria. Why don't you move there. Yes nigeria can and should do better , but stop the comparison with small countries it makes no sense.

3 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by EVarn(m): 9:10am On May 07, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Today most of the industries have relocated to SA, Ghana, Kenya and smaller African countries.

There was never a time where Nigeria was more industrialized than South Africa,read your history very well.
South Africa had being under the stewardship of the Aparthied since the 1800s',the white anglo-dutch minority used the indigenous black majority as slaves to drive industry and commerce for over a 100 years.Nigeria gained independence in 1960,and that was when we began to set up our own industries.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by myplaydiary: 10:49am On May 07, 2017
Op, you are not making sense, you can compare any country with whichever you choose regardless of the landmass or population, if Gabon indeed posses those qualities listed over India and is indeed more industrialized and have more infrastructural development than India what stops one from making such comparisons and giving truthful and factual results.

If one is to go by your analogy then it will also be wrong to compare UK, France, Switzerland, Malaysia, Japan, Indonesia and many other European countries with India because India has a larger landmass and 5-10 times their population, please let's stop creating threads based on emotions thereby making Nigerians looks dumb in the face of the world at large.

5 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:23pm On May 07, 2017
If the standard of living is better in Gabon than India, then it's more developed than India. Taiwan and Hong Kong are far smaller than mainland China and also far more developed. Simple. Don't know why so many shallow chest-beaters find this simple logic so hard to digest. Nigeria is the butt of jokes all over the continent and the world and your passport is a liability to carriers before any immigration officials in the world and the poverty of your citizens keeps rising, and diseases like Polio that has been eradicated almost everywhere else still runs amok, and starvation threatens a big fraction of the populace, like a war ravaged zone.

When are cretins like the OP going to acknowledge the absolute mess this country is?

3 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by MduZA: 12:30pm On May 07, 2017
EVarn:
There was never a time where Nigeria was more industrialized than South Africa,read your history very well.
South Africa had being under the stewardship of the Aparthied since the 1800s',the white anglo-dutch minority used the indigenous black majority as slaves to drive industry and commerce for over a 100 years.Nigeria gained independence in 1960,and that was when we began to set up our own industries.

Apartheid started in 1948

5 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:32pm On May 07, 2017
myplaydiary:
Op, you are not making sense, you can compare any country with whichever you choose regardless of the landmass or population, if Gabon indeed posses those qualities listed over India and is indeed more industrialized and have more infrastructural development than India what stops one from making such comparisons and giving truthful and factual results.

If one is to go by your analogy then it will also be wrong to compare UK, France, Switzerland, Malaysia, Japan, Indonesia and many other European countries with India because India has a larger landmass and 5-10 times their population, please let's stop creating threads based on emotions thereby making Nigerians looks dumb in the face of the world at large.

This one tire me pass, sha. They make the rest of us look like total dumb fucckks with incredibly dumb arguments. Basically bragging over a colossal colonial mistake that has created an unwieldy, unmanageable mess of a country. Every 20 years, our population that breed like rats almost doubles and some people think it's actually a good thing worth bragging about. grin

5 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by myplaydiary: 2:05pm On May 07, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

This one tire me pass, sha. They make the rest of us look like total dumb fucckks with incredibly dumb arguments. Basically bragging over a colossal colonial mistake that has created an unwieldy, unmanageable mess of a country. Every 20 years, our population that breed like rats almost doubles and some people think it's actually a good thing worth bragging about. grin
brother the thing just weak me... some people will just be creating Mumu threads as if it's only Nigerians that visit this forum.

3 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Agbaletu: 3:27pm On May 07, 2017
myplaydiary:

This particular OP will not see this.

1 Like

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Litmus: 4:21pm On May 07, 2017
HughJazz:
All of you here are stupid. I live in the richest country in the world yes the richest, but you can't compare it to the US or china. Population is big factor. I'll move to US or china in a heartbeat if I can. Some nigerians are so daft how can you compare Zimbabwe to niger or benin republic to migeria. Why don't you move there. Yes nigeria can and should do better , but stop the comparison with small countries it makes no sense.

From the devisionist strategic standpoint of view, it makes sense to compare Nigeria unfavourably with the smaller, really, pointless Nations that litter Africa. This is because the purpose is to sell the ideas of a smaller nation, with small manageable population to Nigerians since the ultimate goal is to divide Nigeria. They feel that one of the things that bind Nigerians is the glory of belonging to a powerful large Nation.

Nigerians need to wake up or at least continence the idea that Niraland can be used by unknown forces for a grander purpose. I know, I know, this “Outsiders” obsessions of mine may turn some of you off but just keep open minds. Hope at least it is not unreasonable to expect many of you to continence organised Forum Respondents. If you cannot, then see the influence on the US Elections by organise Eastern European bloggers. Anyway, I’ll keep this short.

Do some of you Nigerians realise that the Americans have increased their military bases and places of operations throughout Africa? Do some of you know that China is establishing bases in Africa also? Ask yourselves why and go figure.

Keeping this short:

In any case, all African Nations are more or less under the thumb of the Western powers. The smaller the African nation, the more hopeless it is as a bulwark against further exploitation of African resources and, more importantly, the gathering and increased future exploitation of her resources. America influenced the last Nigerian elections, many would argue. To varying degrees, America has played historic roles in the politics of Nigeria. However, the size of Nigeria, her economy and disparate political and cultural landscape, presents a problem, difficulty and unpredictability the Outside powers of America, Europe and Asia cannot entirely control. Your zabazaba oil fields is easier controlled by France under a small Biafra than under the unwieldy unpredictability of large powerful Nigeria.

Ultimately, a successful Nigeria serves as the blueprint for the survival of black Africans in Africa. Many of the smaller nations need to merge. A continental Africa peppered with your Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda’s is a weak Africa under threat of external powers that have them fully under control, waiting to pick whatever they want from Africa and at whatever timescale they choose.

2 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by iamord(m): 12:49am On May 08, 2017
Litmus:

From the devisionist strategic standpoint of view, it makes sense to compare Nigeria unfavourably with the smaller, really, pointless Nations that litter Africa. This is because the purpose is to sell the ideas of a smaller nation, with small manageable population to Nigerians since the ultimate goal is to divide Nigeria. They feel that one of the things that bind Nigerians is the glory of belonging to a powerful large Nation.

Nigerians need to wake up or at least continence the idea that Niraland can be used by unknown forces for a grander purpose. I know, I know, this “Outsiders” obsessions of mine may turn some of you off but just keep open minds. Hope at least it is not unreasonable to expect many of you to continence organised Forum Respondents. If you cannot, then see the influence on the US Elections by organise Eastern European bloggers. Anyway, I’ll keep this short.

Do some of you Nigerians realise that the Americans have increased their military bases and places of operations throughout Africa? Do some of you know that China is establishing bases in Africa also? Ask yourselves why and go figure.

Keeping this short:

In any case, all African Nations are more or less under the thumb of the Western powers. The smaller the African nation, the more hopeless it is as a bulwark against further exploitation of African resources and, more importantly, the gathering and increased future exploitation of her resources. America influenced the last Nigerian elections, many would argue. To varying degrees, America has played historic roles in the politics of Nigeria. However, the size of Nigeria, her economy and disparate political and cultural landscape, presents a problem, difficulty and unpredictability the Outside powers of America, Europe and Asia cannot entirely control. Your zabazaba oil fields is easier controlled by France under a small Biafra than under the unwieldy unpredictability of large powerful Nigeria.

Ultimately, a successful Nigeria serves as the blueprint for the survival of black Africans in Africa. Many of the smaller nations need to merge. A continental Africa peppered with your Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda’s is a weak Africa under threat of external powers that have them fully under control, waiting to pick whatever they want from Africa and at whatever timescale they choose.
all this your grammar with no sense that's pathetic
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Litmus: 1:30am On May 08, 2017
Another thing; actually I don’t know if this is true, but on a radio phone-in show, a commentator stated that in an interview he watched on TV, Bill Gates dismissed the praise he was getting for his investment in health in Africa by indicating that his long-term goal was really population control.

It is convenient for those who would see the demise of Africans that the books define overpopulation in context of a Nation’s ability to feed herself. This is why the West gets away with suspiciously focusing on Africa population and hardly ever Asian when, in reality, the population of India alone is almost equal to the entire population of Africa. Worst, North Africa is largely Arabic. And India peoples' for all intent and purpose encompasses Pakistan, Bangladesh, Siri-Lanka and arguably Afghanistan and so on. Black population is relatively small in this context yet all are ravenous in their greed to see African population cut.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Desyner: 2:16am On May 08, 2017
Blue3k2:

Nigerians are too full of excuses it's disgusting. Nigeria is 6 most populous nation in world. There's only a few other place to compare it to. This type of thinking holds us back.
You dont need size to compare nations development.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Shaytun: 11:52pm On May 27, 2017
Foxflames:
What is OP saying. Take a look at this picture

So are you trying to tell me that Niger, Chad, Somalia, south sudan mali. are better than China, India, russia, nigeria.

Or what is the purpose of your infographics to this argument.

1 Like

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Shaytun: 11:56pm On May 27, 2017
Desyner:
You dont need size to compare nations development.
Actually you do. You can't compare a family of 30 kids with a family of 6 kids.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:58am On May 28, 2017
Daft ideology

Switzerland is more developed than Nigeria so is Belgium .period size and population has nothing to do with infrastructures,steady light supply,running water etc that the average Nigeria communities lack ..still Nigeria is more developed than Ghana ,Gabon & co
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by bantudra: 6:57am On May 28, 2017
Rosskii:
I have noticed a trend on this site of late.

People come on here and claim how countries like Ghana, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Rwanda etc are all ''more developed than Nigeria''.

Someone even claimed that the Republic of Benin and Togo, were ''more developed than Nigeria''.

I mean, really...... this nonsense has to stop.

You see, by the same criteria these folks use, one can equally claim that GABON is more developed than India.

Why? Because India has more slums, more poor people, more power outages, more corruption, more bad roads, more violence, more illiteracy and deprivation, than Gabon. In fact millions of times more.

The average Gabonese has a higher standard of living than the average indian, as shown by the UN HDI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

Gabon's GDP per capita is $14,600, compared to India's $7,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Gabon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_India

Gabon has a population of 1.7 million, while India's is 1.3 billion.

SO, IF YOU CLAIM THAT THOSE SMALL COUNTRIES LIKE ZIMBABWE AND GHANA ARE ''MORE DEVELOPED'' THAN NIGERIA, YOU MUST ALSO ACCEPT THAT GABON IS MORE DEVELOPED THAN INDIA.

Discuss.

facts.......it doesnt realy make sense at the long run.....how can you compare a nation of 1.7 million to 1.3 billion?.....
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by bantudra: 6:59am On May 28, 2017
MrBrownJay1:
Sir, what should be used to decide which country is more developed than others.... The county size?!

Just because a country is bigger, it doesn't change the fact that it could be LESS developed than a smaller country, duh!

then india is less developed than gabon after your insane logic.....you dont make sense at the long run..... undecided

the country size and population realy matters....!!!!

2 Likes

Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:57pm On May 28, 2017
bantudra:

then india is less developed than gabon after your insane logic.....you dont make sense at the long run..... undecided

the country size and population realy matters....!!!!

Sadly, only the country's Infrastructures will measure whether it is developed or not
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Rossikki: 5:21pm On May 28, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

Say what you know.

South Africa is generating more than 40k magawatt with less than 50million population.

Nigeria is yet to achieve 10k megawatts with more than 159 millions.

Whose fault is that.
South Africa has been building power plants and transmission systems since the 1880s. Nigeria only started building power plants after independence in 1960. The colonialists in South Africa reinvested their exports in the SA economy. The colonialists in Nigeria did nothing but loot. That is why we are playing catch up with South Africa today.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Rossikki: 5:28pm On May 28, 2017
OBAGADAFFI:

You are completely ignorant. South Africa has been an industrialised nation since at least the 1940s. Their colonialists built the economy, unlike in Nigeria where they just came to loot. SA had their first universities by the mid 1860s. In Nigeria, the whites built no university at all until they were kicked out in 1960. THE ONLY REASON South Africa is ahead today is because the colonialists invested the nation's resources back into the nation. Why? Because there was a substantial white settler community. In the rest of Africa, they did nothing but loot. This is why most African nations started from virtually nothing at independence in the 1960s.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by Rossikki: 5:55pm On May 28, 2017
bantudra:

facts.......it doesnt realy make sense at the long run.....how can you compare a nation of 1.7 million to 1.3 billion?.....
Of course you can't.
Re: STOP Comparing Nigeria To Smaller Countries. It Is DAFT. by blueAgent(m): 9:39pm On May 28, 2017
Rossikki:
You are completely ignorant. South Africa has been an industrialised nation since at least the 1940s. Their colonialists built the economy, unlike in Nigeria where they just came to loot. SA had their first universities by the mid 1860s. In Nigeria, the whites built no university at all until they were kicked out in 1960. THE ONLY REASON South Africa is ahead today is because the colonialists invested the nation's resources back into the nation. Why? Because there was a substantial white settler community. In the rest of Africa, they did nothing but loot. This is why most African nations started from virtually nothing at independence in the 1960s.

Check your facts well before you post trash.

A HISTORICAL REVIEW OF NIGERIAN EDUCATIONAL
OBJECTIVES
AND POLICIES
THE COLONIAL PERIOD 1842 – 1955
In 1946, soon after the establishment of the first
school in Badagry by the Missionaries, Lord Grey
had recommended the establishment of
agricultural education. The curriculum was
intended to include household economy,
gardening and surveying and agricultural
chemistry (Faghulu, 1983, P 140). The tradition
of work-oriented education was not successful as
abundant evidence existed in the literature of
complaints against the products of the school
system who were unwilling to use their hands
(Blyden, 1887). The same fate befall the attempt by missionary bodies to set up industrial
institutions in Abeokuta. In the twentieth century the Phelps-Stokes
Commission of l922 attempted to redirect the
focus of education to work, as it was generally felt that the education given to Africans was
inadequate and inappropriate as it educated them away from their environment. The Commission

www.nigerianobservernews.com/2015/03/future-of-education-in-nigeria-historical-review-of-objectives-policies/#nayaparam:857

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Delta Woman Exposes Yoruba Insecurity & Fear Around Igbos- Must See Video! / Leaked: Inec Officer Confirms The Existence Of SERVER- Video / Yoruba Youth Takes The Fight To Fulani Militia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.