Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

Are You A Cyberbully? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Are You A Cyberbully? (338 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Cyberbully? by naijafeminist: 3:17pm On May 07, 2017
Many a times we fall into the trap-cycle of being unnecessarily mean, uncouth, and vindictive to others just because we are faceless on the web. I mean, this is the only place we get to say our minds without being struck across the face. So why not just let it all out?

The thing is, we don't know how it feels on the other end until we find ourselves at the other side of the spectrum. I am speaking from a personal experience here. I used to be a very active commenter on a popular website. In fact, I had no filter. I would pick on other commenters randomly especially if I don't agree with their views. Unknown to me, I had made a number of faceless enemies in the process. Unfortunately too, I had left little details about myself here and there in my comments.

Before I knew it, I got a very personal attack one day that sent me into depression for months. Yes, that's right. This faceless person didn't just come for me but also came for those close to me. Ouch! For a long time, I kept telling myself that the person was the worst human on earth because from the comment, I knew it was someone close. I became very suspicious of everyone around me. You can imagine how much damage that caused.

After some soul-searching, I had to give myself a reality check. Was I any better than this supposed "worst human"? I was just as guilty. An attack is an attack whether personal or not and it causes the same amount of pain. That particular comment generated a lot of likes and replies with those I had attacked before praising it.

Now, I learnt the hard way but I don't want you to. Let's all make the web space a place of solace and not a death zone. We can all disagree on an issue by 'agreeing to disagree' and not by tearing one another down. This is not limited to fellow commenters alone, what about celebrities on various social media platforms? If you have the mentality of "well, they put their business out their for us to see so we have every right to dissect their lives for them'', you need to think long and hard.

So fellas, before you press ENTER on that next comment, ask yourself these questions:

1. What is the purpose of my comment? Is it to bring someone down or to elevate the person?
2. Is my criticism coming from a place of sincere concern or from a place of vindictiveness?
3. Will the world change for the better if I post this comment?
4. Will the world crumble if I don't post this comment?
5. Will my comment really make a difference in that person's life or do I know deep down that it'll only make the individual more defensive?

The first step to not being a cyberbully is answering these questions honestly and truthfully. You would know whether or not to press ENTER afterwards.

Remember; there is freedom of expression but freedom after expression is not guaranteed.

Cheers!

http://thenaijafeminist..com.ng/2017/05/are-you-cyberbully.html
Re: Are You A Cyberbully? by meobizy(f): 7:43am On Mar 26, 2019
Discussion boards are a virtual battleground.
Knowingly or unknowingly one builds wit from posting and replying mentions.
That you caught depression over someone's response means you are weak both in real and digital life.
I have never taken opinions on any discussion platform personal, I know I live a better, more fulfilling life over the majority of participating members.
In my twenty plus thousands of comments I have taken only four very personal.
I made sure two of those members paid for their transgressions.
However, online victories are fleeting, they are over with as easily as they started.

(1) (Reply)

Which Celebrity Marriage Are We Breaking Next? / Your World Is Yet To End / Eva Alordiah Speaks Out About Her Engagement Break Up | Watch On ES TV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.