Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,394 members, 7,812,159 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian (37843 Views)

10 Ways To Cultivate A Savings Culture / How To Say Hello In Nigerian Languages The Easy Way / 16 Ways Of Saying "Hello" Correctly In Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Burntcoal(f): 9:09pm On May 07, 2017
hmmm bawo ni me? kole werk ooo. u can say ur Hello's like dis ekaaro ekaasan eku irole ekaale ekuile ekaabo En le beun eku isinmi eku jimo oloyin shey daada ni eku oorun eku ise and sooo many eku's someone shld continue

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by mbhs139(m): 9:29pm On May 07, 2017
Afam4eva:

What you just said is common in every language. In Nigeria, you don't tell an elderly person how are you.

Exactly. That's the point I'm trying to make. Thank you.

daddyrich:
Typical Nigerian mentality, very quick to find fault without offering any better Solution. What is the better way?

Ho, Sorry! The better way to greet someone older than you in Yoruba land is to say "E ka'ro sir/ma". I hope that clarifies it. Thank you.

k9ine:

Ok you ended up arguing against the use of Bawo oni, and clearly failed to tell us the proper greeting. So how then do u expect us to know it?

You may want to please refer to my explanation above. Sorry for the mistake earlier. I was rushing to take FTC grin grin grin. Don't know the import of that FTC thing anyway!
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Caseless: 9:38pm On May 07, 2017
Afam4eva:
In Igbo, there are different ways of saying Hello

Kedu - This is the most common
Kekwanu
Ke nke na eme
Ole nke na eme
Ogini na fio
does this not mean "what's happening?"
bende people in abia say "owara" to mean hello too.
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Caseless: 9:40pm On May 07, 2017
mbhs139:

@OP, you need to be told, in case you don't know, that you don't use Bawo ni! just for anybody and at any place or time. For instance, in Yoruba land, you can't greet your seniors saying Bawo ni!, it is wrong. You actually use Bawo ni! for a much younger person than you or to your pal. I think that is clear. Just like telling your dad's elder brother that how far!, you know that's wrong, at least in the Yoruba context.
true!

1 Like

Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by pinkyruledworld(m): 10:14pm On May 07, 2017
kini scope
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by IkpemhiTG(m): 10:19pm On May 07, 2017
its a chair there!
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Unclesho2nd: 10:50pm On May 07, 2017
Lol
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Culin(f): 11:08pm On May 07, 2017
Abole. Sannu. Hey.
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by permit(m): 12:26am On May 08, 2017
Afam4eva:
In Igbo, there are different ways of saying Hello

Kedu - This is the most common
Kekwanu
Ke nke na eme
Ole nke na eme
Ogini na fio
,ke nke osi ada
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Stanleysteno(m): 12:56am On May 08, 2017
bigerboy200:
We greet with hot slap in my area..
lol.. Attack like a lion n humble like a DUKA, GWARA GWARA
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Stanleysteno(m): 12:57am On May 08, 2017
"Naani" means how far, agbor delta state
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by TechPanda(m): 6:55am On May 08, 2017
brummell:
I think Abole' from the Idoma people of Benue state is cool by me. Idoma' olAdam

i see you brother!
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by TechPanda(m): 6:57am On May 08, 2017
Culin:
Abole. Sannu. Hey.
obobi inno grin
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by tete7000(m): 7:26am On May 08, 2017
Bawo ni can be termed disrespectful if directed from a younger person to a senior. You don't expect a son to say bawo ni to someone his father's age, it can earn him a knock on the head.
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by Culin(f): 4:04pm On May 08, 2017
TechPanda:

obobi inno grin
Lol nice one. Anya.
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by TechPanda(m): 8:47pm On May 08, 2017
Culin:

Lol nice one. Anya.
can i follow you up?
Re: 10 Ways To Say ‘hello’ To A Nigerian by AJIKOLA: 3:51pm On Dec 08, 2018
Nice article on greetings in Nigerian. Any ways to get more upto date ways of saying hello in nigerian. click: how to say hello in nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Women Want To Be Men, We Can’t Be Equal – Ooni Of Ife’s Wife / How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.