Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. (1456 Views)

I Know It Sound Crazy But I Think Ghost Exist. / Nigerian Youths Are Frustrated —ooni / Barefoot Runner - First Black African To Win Olympic Gold Medal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 07, 2017
Yes. I think black Africans youths are more unintelligent and more uninformed than any other race or group of people in the entire world. I am also a black African youth, but I have to admit the truth when I see it. To be honest I don't think there is much hope for sub-saharan Africa if in its near future it's going to have these same youths as its leaders.

Spending few minutes on social media and even this forum just confirms my speculations. Take Nigeria as an example. All we know in this country is sex, relationship, celebrity news and religion. We are investing our time in things that don't add value to ourselves and our country while ignoring the important stuff like educating ourselves in ways that we can apply this knowledge to improve our country, especially economically. All we know how to do is copy the latest fashion trends and exotic lifestyles from countries that have stable economies and are well developed than us in every sector.

In this day and age information is easily available, more available amd accessible than it has ever been. But how many of our youths are using this unprecedented opportunity? We'd rather spend all day watching Big brother naija and arguing about it online.

All everyone wants to do is hammer, so they can spend the money on the kind of cars and girls they see on tv and dress like the celebrities they adore. Even the so called smart ones who get enrolled into the university just want to memorize and pass so they can also hammer. They don't think about how they can improve their country, all they think about is theirselves. How will the country grow this is how its so called leaders of tomorrow think?

I weep for sub-saharan Africa and I weep even more for Nigeria.

I posted this on this section because this section is where most of Nairaland's youth spend their online time, which sort of confirms everything I have been saying.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Israelsaidu(m): 6:19pm On May 07, 2017
You just spoke my mind.... They(we) hardly set goals.

3 Likes

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Safiaa(f): 6:24pm On May 07, 2017
Okay i 100% agree. But what exactly are you doing about it? Are you complaining about it, or making an effort to do better yourself.
Instead of complaining, how about encourage. The economy is already stressful as it is, the youths are trying to occupy themselves with things that make them happy.
Encourage youths to be knowledgeable on political topics
Encourage youths to understand their rights as citizens
Encourage youths to fight peacefully agaisnt corruption and theft.
Its not just about complaining. Nobody will listen to you because we're all used to it. The change starts from you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by ToyinDipo(m): 6:26pm On May 07, 2017
You speak the truth, however I know brilliant people who have ideas to make impacts in this nation, but the politics and people won't let their ideas see the light of the day. The soil of this country is not healthy enough, to allow any positive idea grow.
In fact people with novel ideas are usually advised to go to Ghana if they want it patented, because we know how it always turns out in this nation. #hijackers.

3 Likes

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Victornezzar: 6:27pm On May 07, 2017
Op ur so on point
dey can worship celebrities like say 2moro no dey nd dis bb naija of a tin
nairaland isn't even helping matters
dey keep moving any related bb naija topic 2 d fp

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Splinz(m): 6:30pm On May 07, 2017
Victornezzar:
Op ur so on point

You mean BB Naija and Nairaland has a hand in the low IQ of African youths?

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Safiaa(f): 6:31pm On May 07, 2017
Victornezzar:
Op ur so on point
Business is Business. Marketing is important. You can't blame bb naija or nairaland. They have to appeal to what people like, to make money and gain traffic. The problem starts from the people.

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by dingbang(m): 6:34pm On May 07, 2017
Mynd44
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Victornezzar: 6:34pm On May 07, 2017
Safiaa:
Business is Business. Marketing is important. You can't blame bb naija or nairaland. They have to appeal to what people like, to make money and gain traffic. The problem starts from the people.
yeah dats tru sha
D general tin is dis religion of a ish
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 07, 2017
Safiaa:
Okay i 100% agree. But what exactly are you doing about it? Are you complaining about it, or making an effort to do better yourself.
Instead of complaining, how about encourage. The economy is already stressful as it is, the youths are trying to occupy themselves with things that make them happy.
Encourage youths to be knowledgeable on political topics
Encourage youths to understand their rights as citizens
Encourage youths to fight peacefully agaisnt corruption and theft.
Its not just about complaining. Nobody will listen to you because we're all used to it. The change starts from you.

And Safiaa makes a shockingly intelligent post...

"The morning does not tell a day"

Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 07, 2017
And what has the country done !
What facilities are in place for the youth ! Work apprenticeships ? After school what is there for them to do ?

The end of the day you can't reap what you didnt sow ..
you cant blame them ... Valid points but what is the solution ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 07, 2017
Bumbae1:
And what has the country done !
What facilities are in place for the youth ! Work apprenticeships ? After school what is there for them to do ?

The end of the day you can't reap what you didnt sow ..
you cant blame them ... Valid points but what is the solution ?

Who is the country? Aren't we the country? The earlier we realize that power belongs to the people and not our greedy leaders then will a revolution begin. I think we are so used to oppression that we now see it as our rights to be oppressed.

Also, aren't we the ones that would lead this country in the future? But the way we are going we might even be worse than our current leaders. We display not just a lack of vision, but the intellect and needed information to effectively correct the wrongs of the past.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 07, 2017
Stewie101:

Who is the country? Aren't we the country? The earlier we realize that power belongs to the people and not our greedy leaders then will a revolution begin. I think we are so used to oppression that we now see it as our rights to be oppressed.

Also, aren't we the ones that would lead this country in the future? But the way we are going we might even be worse than our current leaders. We display not just a lack of vision, but the intellect and needed education to effectively correct the wrongs of the past.
True
But has to start from the leaders...
Look there is corruption everywhere but some parts the leaders priorities are more with the people
I just don't see this with our leaders
Only so much the people can do .. and they do try
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 07, 2017
Provocative post, OP.

Nigerians are resourceful both naturally and in human capita/labor.

The problem of Nigeria (Africa in general) is lack of hope and lack of opportunity for advancements.

Why? Due to massive political corruption and lack of functioning and effective governance.

The saddest part is that Nigerians have done so well improving the entertainment industry but we lag behind in technological, scientific and humanitarian and political advancements. Why is that?

Case in point: this thread will not go far because it actually makes sense and hits too close to home/heart and reality. And, many disheartened Nigerian youths come here to "escape" reality that haunts them.

If you want to see "traffic" on this thread, pick a very trashy, raunchy title like "I banged her twice...." Or " I am sleeping with a call girl" or "My boyfriend dumped me for ..........". You get the point? The nastier the tittle, the better.

Sad indeed.

4 Likes

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by sEGXY2(m): 7:14pm On May 07, 2017
Fallacy of hasty generalization

If you suggest Nigerian youths show less concern towards topical issues I would have agreed with you to an extent.Your opinion is denigrating and was constructed based on your environment and your judgement of this forum. Its appalling that you choose to hang out with petty, shallow, uninformed people making you jump to this silly generalization

Triviality is celebrated everywhere in the world or why do you think Kim Kardashian has more fan base and followership than Ben Carson or some other people who's made great impact in their respective fields?

Up until few years ago this forum especially this section used to be filled with intellectual thought provoking threads until teenagers took over and pettiness became the order of the day. Go to NSG,BN, HSC etc and see young Nigerians with great minds

The same way pettiness is celebrated here is the same way it is on American forums like lipstickyalley,4chan,worldstar etc not every site can maintain sanity like quora and reddit

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by fuckboys: 7:23pm On May 07, 2017
I weep embarassed

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Marinee(f): 7:24pm On May 07, 2017
Dear OP.. You are indeed right!

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 7:24pm On May 07, 2017
Nigerians are intelligent just look at our achievement all over the world. Africans in general, despite what we tend to hear otherwise, are actually intelligent.

I mean, look at ELON MUSK. Who knew that genius is actually an AFRICAN. And he took his talent to USA angry.

The big 'brain drain' problem is that those who are lucky enough to 'escape' Nigeria, never return or do not return to exert meaningful "positive" impact.

But for those who still dwell in Nigeria, w/o an outlet for talent and creativity, frustration sets in.

I think the solution needs to start from the bottom--the youth. With advent of social media, education and enlightenment has got to take precedence.

Seun, you could use this social media platform and build a legacy for generations to come instead of just the sole purpose of generating traffic and revenue. Your money can't go with you to the grave but your positive legacy will live on with this forum--whether it continue or ceases to exist upon your eventual death. Seriously, think about it. wink.

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 7:27pm On May 07, 2017
Xiadnat:

The saddest part is that Nigerians have done so well improving the entertainment industry but we lag behind in technological, scientific and humanitarian and political advancements. Why is that?

Because we have souls but we don't have minds. We only thrive in fields that aren't cognitively tasking. This might seem offensive but I think this problem has strong genetic underpinnings. This doesn't apply to everyone but it definitely applies to the majority, and our leaders emerge from this majority.

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 7:31pm On May 07, 2017
That said: What will I do about this? What can we do about this?

A foundation. An organization. A pact. A mandate. A mission. A vision.

One that builds schools, educational programs, sponsoring children, job opportunities, trades, apprentiships etc...

Not by myself. A foundation organized by like minded folks. Donated, funded by likeminded folks and philanthropists.

Importantly, an education that is geared towards dismantling 'old ineffective' ways of doing things.

This is not an offer to escape from hell. Work is involved. You must return to hell and snuff out the fire.

So, go and start a revolution in your own backyard--however small it is.

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 07, 2017
Stewie101:

Because we have souls but we don't have minds. We only thrive in fields that aren't cognitively tasking. This might seem offensive but I think this problem has strong genetic underpinnings. This doesn't apply to everyone but it definitely applies to the majority, and our leaders emerge from this majority.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. We have minds, but not souls behind it to propel it. Or perhaps the soul is dimmed by lack of hope.

The passion is the drive. Passion and drive resides in the soul/spirit. Without passion, there is no purpose.

A mind w/o a soul is like a car w/o an engine. You need both.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by klexycole(m): 7:36pm On May 07, 2017
Good observation, nice post. God bless you! smiley

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 7:50pm On May 07, 2017
Xiadnat:

Actually, I think it's the other way around. We have minds, but not souls behind it to propel it. Or perhaps the soul is dimmed by lack of hope.

The passion is the drive. Passion and drive resides in the soul/spirit. Without passion, there is no purpose.

By soul I mean the natural ability to use our voices and bodies to make interesting art. Like singing and dancing. This we have in excess. What we lack is minds. Minds that can think, examine complex issues, make accurate predictions, construct effective plans, and rectify problems when they arise. We seem to have a deficiency in this aspect. And I think this is what separates us from other races.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by sEGXY2(m): 8:14pm On May 07, 2017
Naija youths are extremely intelligent or how would you explain young Nigerians swindling Americans who are perceived to be more intelligent. Do you know how intelligent you gotta be to pull a scam?

The truth is if a justified system that's sensitive to the plight of the masses is put in place maybe we'd exhume more intelligence and care about maximizing our potentials

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 07, 2017
Stewie101:

By soul I mean the natural ability to use our voices and bodies to make interesting art. Like singing and dancing. This we have in excess. What we lack is minds. Minds that can think, examine complex issues, make accurate predictions, construct effective plans, and rectify problems when they arise. We seem to have a deficiency in this aspect. And I think this is what separates us from other races.

Gotcha. I see your point. In other words, genetically, the African race did not seem to have acquired the ability for complexities and the like.

So, what race exactly have minds to complex tasks? White or Asian or Jewish folks? Cause I can tell ya, I associate with a lot of them. There are stupid ones too (for lack of better word) just like there are geniuses in Africa.

The dichotomy of nature vs. nurture. There is perhaps a little bit of both. But, both nature and nurture interplay and mingle and integrate.

I think that minds are like seeds. An apple seed already has all the genetic components of an apple fruit but will not grow to be an apple if environment does not permit growth. Like planting an apple seed in subsaharan desert.

Like wise, you have to place or surround or expose "minds" to environments that are conducive to growth for it to blossom. So, a combination of familial genetics + environment (educational opportunities) play big roles.

I think Africans have great capacity for all those things you mentioned, we are just not conditioned to utilize our minds as such. Perhaps from history, culture, environment and a combination of both.

Case in point: Elon Musk ( I just love this guy as I am reading his biography), he was born African. Clearly at young age, he exhibited some intelligence. His parents encouraged him, sent him to school. He got exposed to brilliant minds as a youth. Got an opportunity to explore his talents outside Africa, he took the opportunity and ran for it. And there are loads of people with stories like this.

So, clearly, you and I are genetically anomalies because we are discussing this and it takes all sorts of minds.

Sorry I wrote an essay but this is like my philosophical cup of tea.

1 Like

Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 07, 2017
iamadonis2:

And Safiaa makes a shockingly intelligent post...
"The morning does not tell a day"
Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart
grin grin

Savage!!!
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 07, 2017
Xiadnat:

What sort of philosophical poppycock is this?
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by hisgrace090: 9:28pm On May 07, 2017
You nailed it.
See our comment the more foolish comment you make the more like you get.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by sEGXY2(m): 10:15pm On May 07, 2017
The funny thing about this thread is all those supporting the Op and the Op himself are airheads constituting nuisance on this forum, if you doubt me check their profiles, not even one intelligent thought provoking thread.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by viyon02: 10:16pm On May 07, 2017
The point is everything is against a typical African child, but first number one problem is the 'leader" our leaders have been infected with corruption virus, they are so bad to the extent that they don't want anybody to challenge them; and the only weapon they use is porverty.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by thoollz: 11:09pm On May 07, 2017
Stewie101:
Yes. I think black Africans youths are more unintelligent and more uninformed than any other race or group of people in the entire world. I am also a black African youth, but I have to admit the truth when I see it. To be honest I don't think there is much hope for sub-saharan Africa if in its near future it's going to have these same youths as its leaders.

Spending few minutes on social media and even this forum just confirms my speculations. Take Nigeria as an example. All we know in this country is sex, relationship, celebrity news and religion. We are investing our time in things that don't add value to ourselves and our country while ignoring the important stuff like educating ourselves in ways that we can apply this knowledge to improve our country, especially economically. All we know how to do is copy the latest fashion trends and exotic lifestyles from countries that have stable economies and are well developed than us in every sector.

In this day and age information is easily available, more available amd accessible than it has ever been. But how many of our youths are using this unprecedented opportunity? We'd rather spend all day watching Big brother naija and arguing about it online.

All everyone wants to do is hammer, so they can spend the money on the kind of cars and girls they see on tv and dress like the celebrities they adore. Even the so called smart ones who get enrolled into the university just want to memorize and pass so they can also hammer. They don't think about how they can improve their country, all they think about is theirselves. How will the country grow this is how its so called leaders of tomorrow think?

I weep for sub-saharan Africa and I weep even more for Nigeria.

I posted this on this section because this section is where most of Nairaland's youth spend their online time, which sort of confirms everything I have been saying.
bros, I quite agree with you, but looking at it from another perspective, is Nigeria a country that u can dedicate enough time to innovate something and get a positive response from? there are people in this country that have tried and failed, look at most people that have raised d Nigerian flag high, u will notice that apart from the name, Nigeria had little or nothing to offer them. bros that one alone can discourage people from taking up their dreams to reality.
PS: I'm not saying wasting time with mediocrity or nonsense is good, BT unless d government is willing to sit up, then U'll see that Nigeria is blessed with bright minds.
Re: I Think Black African Youths Are The Most Unintelligent And Uninformed. by Probz(m): 7:32pm On May 08, 2017
You obviously haven't left Nigeria. You're way out of your zone so keep your mouth shut about things you don't know.

(1) (Reply)

The Unique Culture Of Ekiti Land / Why Do People From Plateau State Have Funny Names? / Oba Of Benin Announces Date For Outdoor Ceremony Of Odudua Rites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.