Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,110 members, 7,842,220 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform (4193 Views)

Poll: Do you support students wearing Adire as uniform?

Yes: 61% (16 votes)
No: 19% (5 votes)
Unless they put A/C's in classrooms: 19% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

How Rotimi Amaechi Convinced Buhari To Wear A Suit During The Campaign Era / Army Detains Policemen Without Food For Refusing To Wear Military Uniform / Is It Good For NURTW To Be Using Nigeria National Flag As Uniform? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by Abagworo(m): 10:07am On Jan 09, 2010
The use of the word tribe and tribalistic has infected nigerians so much.this idea is such a great one looking at our dying textile industry.the uniforms could be a combo of cotton tops and adire skirts or trousers.the only thing that might seem funny is wearing agbada or bubu to school.
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by Abagworo(m): 10:10am On Jan 09, 2010
Is adire not just the material?
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by sjeezy8: 1:00pm On Jan 09, 2010
Cyberfreak:

I don't think this is such a good idea. Apart from the disadvantages aloy named about the heat and how quickly worn out it would turn out to be, there is also the tribalistic nature of Nigerians to consider. Adire is regarded largely as a 'yoruba' material, not really a general Nigerian wear, and so some people (likely to be non-yorubas)would oppose this move by arguing that the school is trying to impose their yoruba cultures on the children. Those people might even go as far as refusing to enroll their children in those schools just because of the Adire uniform.
I am happy though, that Nigerians have started to think of upholding and preserving their cultures and not just blindly following the traditions of their colonial masters, but untill we learn to accept each other regardless of tribe or state of origin, a move like this would not be successful.

What are you saying dont ALL Nigerians were ankara

Akara and Adire only differ in material
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by pcicero(m): 3:10pm On Jan 09, 2010
Abagworo:

The use of the word tribe and tribalistic has infected nigerians so much.this idea is such a great one looking at our dying textile industry.the uniforms could be a combo of cotton tops and adire skirts or trousers.the only thing that might seem funny is wearing agbada or bubu to school.

Very correct!
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by Jarus(m): 3:18pm On Jan 09, 2010
Abagworo:

Orisirisi agbada, buba, kembe, soro. . .kai, that will be very funny o
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by Hanoobaba(m): 4:45pm On Jan 09, 2010
What the hell is that guy thinking? I agree with aloy emeka, Adire is not a material for everyday wear. And I live in Abeokuta and I know the type of children that attend public schools. In short some of those kids wouldn't even bother to remove the adire on getting home. I'd be dam.ned if they put that into law.
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by violent(m): 4:52pm On Jan 09, 2010
I have no problems with adire as long as nice colors are chosen.

BTW: are students allowed to style the adire as they deem fit?
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by AloyEmeka3: 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2010
violent:

I have no problems with adire as long as nice colors are chosen.

BTW: are students allowed to style the adire as they deem fit?
Adire is naturally colorful and stylish so the color will not matter in this case.
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by otawa: 10:20pm On Jan 09, 2010
a well thought out IDEA.

It will support the local economy and more importantly, there would be new innovative use for adire.

Kudos.
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by bawomolo(m): 10:30pm On Jan 09, 2010
Native attires like agbada are actually made to withstand heat and humidity (multiple pores and large surface area).

Kids should be given the choice between adire and english dressing though.
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 09, 2010
^^^^

Native attires like agbada are actually made to withstand heat and humidity (multiple pores and large surface area).

hmmm. . .

i'm wondering if that was the original consideration when agbada etal was invented

plus - i think that applies more to some particular materials than the attire proper

just offtopicking. . .
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by bawomolo(m): 11:15pm On Jan 09, 2010
oyb:

^^^^

hmmm. . .

i'm wondering if that was the original consideration when agbada etal was invented

plus - i think that applies more to some particular materials than the attire proper

just offtopicking. . .

yes it applies to material, plus cotton should be air permeable. heat shouldn't be a problem as long as there isn't 70 students in one class room cheesy
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by AloyEmeka3: 3:49am On Jan 10, 2010
bawomolo:

Kids should be given the choice between adire and english dressing though. 

You think so?. Adires are usually dyed bluish black and that is the number 1 heat absorbent in all colours. Do you know how these children will feel inside a blue/black adire in a 38 deg C weather?
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by 9ja4eva: 7:03am On Jan 10, 2010
Nice Idea
Re: Abeokuta South Pupils To Wear Adire As Uniform by sulakishop(m): 3:45am On May 31, 2012
Ina njo, dindinrin nla gota (gutter)!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Orders Ministers To Submit Four-year Plans / Nigerians In Diaspora : How Will You Celebrate Our Independence? / Democracy Or Junta? Sss Bars Journalists From Press Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.