Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,457 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) (60119 Views)

The Salary Of A Nigerian Professor After IPPIS (Pictured) / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) / JSS Student Wants Sex From Female Corper Teacher In Enugu In Her Room (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Caramelemperor: 9:05pm On May 08, 2017
Nigerians and hypocrisy....5 & 6.
This is sex education na.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Kingpinukecy(m): 9:22pm On May 08, 2017
so disgusting abeg........
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 08, 2017
Seems people don't know when to draw the line between sexual perversion and sex education, smh
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by proffemi: 9:53pm On May 08, 2017
AntiWailer:
That is a sex education text book innit ?

What were you expecting in the Text Book ?

John 3 : 16 ?

Hypocrites.
If we are so pure. Which country are the rapists, baby mamas and baby papas from ?

Which country idolised tuface and call him a role model ?

Which country sing jollof rice and tomato with flavor.

They are screaming but they engaged in pre-marital sex in one form or the other.

Hypocrites

Good God. No!

I wasn't planning to contribute to this thread, but I see so many posts pushing a (IMO) wrong idea: wantonly expose kids to sexual topics and strange, intriguing-sounding sexual terms just because you want them to get it "from the right source". I agree 100% that kid can pick these things from other kids, and make all manners of wrong choices if they are not properly educated. But the reverse ("over-education" ) is also just as dangerous: carelessly expanding their sexual vocabulary with so many topics that simply invite them to fill in the gaps, thereby creating a self-fulfilling prophesy!

If the point is to help them to make the right calls, then consider this: there is scientific evidence that the circuits that help adolescents link action to consequence (i.e. circuits aiding sound judgment) are still underdeveloped at this stage. You want to give them enough to make the right calls IF THEY HAVE TO, but you shouldn't, by the teaching of the course itself, increase the chances that they'll be making those calls. Why? If they have to, chances are, they make the wrong call anyway. So, for me, the policy guiding sex education should be "responsible and restrained exposure". Expose to the basic stuff: sex (NOT the details and sex styles!!! I've heard horror stories about this), pregnancy, STI etc.

Sexual education should be a careful dance to educate the kids without kindling dangerous curiosity where such didn't previously exist.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Moving4: 9:57pm On May 08, 2017
maasoap:

Why do we need to teach them anyway? So that they can practise it or what? That alone can make them to be curious. It doesn't even look like a sex education.
Weda dey r taught or not dey will still practice it, so it's beta to teach dem...
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by ezewealth(m): 9:59pm On May 08, 2017
DollarAngel:

When has sex education become allowing a child watch pronography, don't be impulsive with your response, reason along as you type..
Common sense is not common nah

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by proffemi: 10:01pm On May 08, 2017
menxer:
what are we shouting?

do we want our children to grow up ignorant of these things or get to know by trial and error?

how many of us are bold enough to discuss sex in a positive way with our teenagers?

i believe it is better it is mentioned in class where the teenagers can ask questions without feeling ashamed

I disagree completely sir!
If you (or I) can't discuss this with your (my) teenage kids, then, that's your (or my) failure as a parent!!!
It's your job, or your spouses, to introduce this topic to your kids, because:

1. Most of the teachers are not competent enough to handle in a responsible manner, and can get unnecessarily lurid.
2. The time they spend in class, teaching ~25 - 50 students, will not be sufficient to answer the questions generated in so many curious and precocious minds. Those minds will fill the gaps. If daddy and mummy cannot do it for them (see my first point), God help daddy, mummy, and kid.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:36pm On May 08, 2017
I was going through the physics textbook (new school), I think, and I found out some words were printed on all d pages. Tried reading them n was surprised what I saw, "My father is a kidnapper and my mother is a harlot........."

Dont know if someone else has also noticed that
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 08, 2017
Wait....u said d subjet is SOCIAL studies. why wont d author talk about it .....was it in maths textbook
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Nobody: 10:45pm On May 08, 2017
Yampotatocarrot:
I was going through the physics textbook (new school), I think, and I found out some words were printed on all d pages. Tried reading them n was surprised what I saw, "My father is a kidnapper and my mother is a harlot........."

Dont know if someone else has also noticed that
. yes !!!! Though i dont av new school physics but av got d chemistry. It actually they. and d funniest part is dat the words re abusing fathers and mothers...the company makin d books should be ban.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by permit(m): 11:08pm On May 08, 2017
[quote author=Audray post=56330490]Damn too many idiotič posts.
OP Did you read the Fuŕcking book cover before coming here to pretend like you care what middle school kids are learning ?! [/quot. Why kids?]

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by naijalander: 11:09pm On May 08, 2017
What do you mean expose kids. Are they not already exposed to sexual imagery already? TV, bill boards and so on. The goal of sex education is not to pervert. You haven't even read the whole book you are already making judgment. These books usually have disgusting pictures of STDs as well to scare these kids.

Your advocating for don't ask don't tell. When has that ever worked. Most Nigerians don't even know how to practice safe sex in the first place, baby mamas are every where, runs girls are quite popular, sex sells in Nigeria. Some of these kids are already masturbating (maybe not the JSS1s but JSS3 for sure. If you are banning this book then ban Nollywood and the brain dulling rubbish Davido and co sing too. You can't be practicing double standard.

Mutual Masturbation is just a word. And it's a proven way of abstinence. It's actually a thing. I'm not advocating sexual activity for kids am saying there is nothing wrong with easing them into it from age 13, they will all have sex eventually and when they don't they still do when they get married.

Sex is natural. Again am not saying teach you kids doggy style. I'm saying make them aware of what's out there and reinforce their self control by emphasizing the consequences. These books also do that.

proffemi:

Good God. No!

I wasn't planning to contribute to this thread, but I see so many posts pushing a (IMO) wrong idea: wantonly expose kids to sexual topics and strange, intriguing-sounding sexual terms just because you want them to get it "from the right source". I agree 100% that kid can pick these things from other kids, and make all manners of wrong choices if they are not properly educated. But the reverse ("over-education" ) is also just as dangerous: carelessly expanding their sexual vocabulary with so many topics that simply invite them to fill in the gaps, thereby creating a self-fulfilling prophesy!

If the point is to help them to make the right calls, then consider this: there is scientific evidence that the circuits that help adolescents link action to consequence (i.e. circuits aiding sound judgment) are still underdeveloped at this stage. You want to give them enough to make the right calls IF THEY HAVE TO, but you shouldn't, by the teaching of the course itself, increase the chances that they'll be making those calls. Why? If they have to, chances are, they make the wrong call anyway. So, for me, the policy guiding sex education should be "responsible and restrained exposure". Expose to the basic stuff: sex (NOT the details and sex styles!!! I've heard horror stories about this), pregnancy, STI etc.

Sexual education should be a careful dance to educate the kids without kindling dangerous curiosity where such didn't previously exist.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by naijalander: 11:13pm On May 08, 2017
If your blaming the teacher, ogbeni go lobby the govt or the Unions. I'm quite sure they aren't teaching them doggy style.

proffemi:

If you (or I) can't discuss this with your (my) teenage kids, then, that's your (or my) failure as a parent!!!

1. Most of the teachers are not competent enough to handle in a responsible manner, and can get unnecessarily lurid.
2. The time they spend in class, teaching ~25 - 50 students, will not be sufficient to answer the questions generated in so many curious and precocious minds. Those minds will fill the gaps. If daddy and mummy cannot do it for them (see my first point), God help daddy, mummy, and kid.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by permit(m): 11:14pm On May 08, 2017
Moving4:

Weda dey r taught or not dey will still practice it, so it's beta to teach dem...
so why teachiny then that stoff? Anyways!

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Nature8(m): 11:28pm On May 08, 2017
PMWSpirit:
Iranu

Abacha grin
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by TheControversy: 11:50pm On May 08, 2017
It's called sex education
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by menxer: 12:03am On May 09, 2017
proffemi:

you are right, parents have a role to play in this to supplement whatever is taught in class, but some parents are, should i say timid to even discuss sex with an adult not to talk of with their teenage kids.

secondly, if the topic is handled by a teacher that is also a parent, would make a lot of difference.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by tonytony208(m): 1:17am On May 09, 2017
Moving4:
Hmm
It's 4 Educational purpose now, even those JSS1 students know of what is masturbation. The earlier dey teach dem d beta dey will bcom...

You should ask yourself what impact such teaching will have on them, either positive or negative. Since you feel they know about it, you can as well ask them to start doing practical sex in classrooms now. Or what unreasonable and myopic nonsense are you saying? Even the white man dat brings you western education knows that certain things must be kept from kids.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by tonytony208(m): 1:18am On May 09, 2017
AkinPhysicist:
what's the problem here? Is it not a fact that mutual masturbation is a form of abstinence?

Maybe you don't know that masturbation is destructive.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by chiraqDemon(m): 5:45am On May 09, 2017
He is just following western trends
Nor b for jand papa go de teach e pikin how to self-service
Ba me nor know if e right or wrong na sex ed afterall
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by proffemi: 6:14am On May 09, 2017
naijalander:
Your advocating for don't ask don't tell. When has that ever worked.
I am advocating for no such thing. I already said what I am advocating: responsible and restrained exposure . Some of us are smart enough to think out of the box, and suggest effective approaches to problem-solving that don't require lumping into boxes ready-made by the Americans!

An illustration of responsible and restrained exposure from your own submission (hope you see the irony there):
Some of these kids are already masturbating ( maybe not the JSS1s but JSS3 for sure.
You accept that most kids in JS1 are (probably) not masturbating, but in order to teach *the few* kids who are having sex, you welcome the whole class to the topic of masturbation with a partner . I guarantee you that for every sexually-aware kids you thereby save from premarital sex, you create another who soon graduates from "just" mutual masturbation to sex.

Possible solution: base the development of intended educational outcomes on sound scientific studies which determine the typical age of risk for most classes of sexual behavior, and appropriately target those ages. Using your example, mutual masturbation would be more responsibly taught at JS3, not JS1.

You haven't even read the whole book you are already making judgment
Chief, I am an educator of many years, and an author myself. When I see an author and publisher who take the path of least resistance when formatting their book, I automatically see a pair who are unlikely to pay attention to details, nor be smart and/or painstaking enough to teach a nuanced subject like sex education.

What I see is a generation of parents and teachers who are abandoning the teaching of important, character-building attributes (discipline, delayed gratification, sound work ethics) in favor of pumping more and more information into kids. When this same attitude seeps into sex education, we create a bigger mess than we met.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by campbelljosh(m): 6:47am On May 09, 2017
I tire o. Some people go dey form holy holy and most of them sleep with their maids
AkinPhysicist:
what's the problem here? Is it not a fact that mutual masturbation is a form of abstinence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by proffemi: 7:10am On May 09, 2017
campbelljosh:
I tire o. Some people go dey form holy holy and most of them sleep with their maids

Most of you on this thread are obviously not parents.
The issue is not forming holy-holy at all. The issue is: at what age should we force kids to come to terms with different kinds of sexual behavior?
Note that this hoopla is not about masturbation, but doing so with a partner .

My question is not : must we expose kids to mutual masturbation?

But rather: must we do it in JS1 (modal age ~10 years?!!)
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Abee79(m): 7:47am On May 09, 2017
This is really disturbing . . . cry cry cry cry cry

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by naijalander: 8:15am On May 09, 2017
but the few kids not masturbating will eventually masturbate. Again your judging the whole book based on one page.

proffemi:

I am advocating for no such thing. I already said what I am advocating: responsible and restrained exposure . Some of us are smart enough to think out of the box, and suggest effective approaches to problem-solving that don't require lumping into boxes ready-made by the Americans!

An illustration of responsible and restrained exposure from your own submission (hope you see the irony there):

You accept that most kids in JS1 are (probably) not masturbating, but in order to teach *the few* kids who are having sex, you welcome the whole class to the topic of masturbation with a partner . I guarantee you that for every sexually-aware kids you thereby save from premarital sex, you create another who soon graduates from "just" mutual masturbation to sex.

Possible solution: base the development of intended educational outcomes on sound scientific studies which determine the typical age of risk for most classes of sexual behavior, and appropriately target those ages. Using your example, mutual masturbation would be more responsibly taught at JS3, not JS1.

Chief, I am an educator of many years, and an author myself. When I see an author and publisher who take the path of least resistance when formatting their book, I automatically see a pair who are unlikely to pay attention to details, nor be smart and/or painstaking enough to teach a nuanced subject like sex education.

What I see is a generation of parents and teachers who are abandoning the teaching of important, character-building attributes (discipline, delayed gratification, sound work ethics) in favor of pumping more and more information into kids. When this same attitude seeps into sex education, we create a bigger mess than we met.

Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by princy80(m): 8:23am On May 09, 2017
When the board of education is bored of education!
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Nobody: 8:33am On May 09, 2017
I kinda like it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think it helps to demystify sex.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by proffemi: 8:40am On May 09, 2017
but the few kids not masturbating will eventually masturbate
1. It is absolutely false that only a few kids are not masturbating by JS1.
2. Furthermore, see, from my post:

"...determine the typical age of risk for most classes of sexual behavior, and appropriately target those ages. Using your example, mutual masturbation would be more responsibly taught at JS3, not JS1."

Again your judging the whole book based on one page.
The word in bold font is rendered "you're", NOT "your". Your grammar is being influenced by (the baser elements of) the Americans. Obviously, you're also taking too much of your value system from them!
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Iamzik: 8:50am On May 09, 2017
PapiSmith:
It's called sex education you bloody illiterates grin

Most of you never had one so I am not surprised

Then it should be a subject on its own. The whites we are trying so hard to copy have it as a separate subject in their curriculum. So is this social study text book or sex education text book?
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Nobody: 8:53am On May 09, 2017
Iamzik:

Then it should be a subject on its own. The whites we are trying so hard to copy have it as a separate subject in their curriculum. So is this social study text book or sex education text book?

Social studies/sociology is the study of MAN and his ENVIRONMENT.
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Emassive(m): 12:40pm On May 09, 2017
Re: Nigerian Author Includes 'Mutual Masturbation' In JSS 1 Book (Pictured) by Emassive(m): 12:41pm On May 09, 2017
Edu3Again:

The author dey go christ embassy or what,
na for christ embassy dem dey consider this kind rubbish.

No be Christ Embassy dem say Self Service no be sin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwbYW5nmU4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijAyBvAPt0

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Basic 6 Daughter's Textbook Has Sex Themed Comprehension Passage / Notice; Delsu Post Ume Results Out / Jamb Lecture/past Questions For Science/art Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.