Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,767 members, 7,851,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:28 AM

Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List (1174 Views)

Independence Anniversary Expenditure For The Past 5 Years. - Nasir El-rufai / Security Agencies Watch-list Supreme Court Justices-the Nations / Nasir El Rufai Tweet That Got Twitter Buzzing On Saturday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by netpro(m): 4:17pm On Jan 09, 2010
Dear Mr. President,

It is an honor to humbly address myself to you on this occasion, and extend a warm greeting to wish you a successful New Year.

My reasons for writing this letter, however, are regrettable. Please allow me to be among the first to express my profound sadness and distress on behalf of all Nigerians for the recent attempted terror attack over American soil on December 25, 2009. Our feelings of outrage and rejection of this appalling act are beyond words, and we pledge our full solidarity to you against the specter of international terrorism.

Unfortunately, this narrowly averted tragedy also raises tremendous concerns for both my people and their relationship with the people and government of the United States of America.

In the aftermath of this event, official decisions have been made with regard to security policies and practices to ensure the safety of American citizens, as is the full right and responsibility of your offices. One of the new measures put in place has been to subject incoming passengers of Nigerian nationality to undergo the same security screening procedures as state-sponsors of terrorism.

I write to inform you that inside Nigeria and among our large diaspora, this understandable change in policy has created a negative and hopefully incorrect perception that the United States considers us to be a terrorist state. There are significant fears that other countries will adopt similar measures, and speculation that 150 million innocent and peace-loving citizens of Nigeria could be subjected to racial profiling and discriminatory treatment at all airports and transportation hubs in the world.

Serious threats from international terrorism must be confronted head on with tough policies and strong actions on behalf of a united international community. I understand that in its rightful pursuit of security, the U.S. government is confronted with difficult choices and sometimes controversial decisions.

Nevertheless, there are strong arguments which point out that the addition of Nigeria to a terrorism list causes more damage than benefit. For example, we have seen terror attempts perpetrated by a wide variety of nationalities and ethnic backgrounds, so it is impossible to define a typology. Yemeni authorities also indicate that the individual was recruited in London, United Kingdom, a close ally of the United States. Furthermore, following the reprehensible terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, passengers arriving from Saudi Arabia to the United States were not subjected to this kind of treatment, despite the fact that eleven of the attackers held Saudi passports.

Instead of providing an additional security precaution, this decision has sown deep bitterness and distrust on the streets of Lagos and Abuja, among people who firmly reject the actions and beliefs of this one tragically misguided individual. It saddens me to witness this acrimony, and it is hoped that when constitutional order is restored from the currently troubled leadership, that the U.S. and Nigeria can repair their once strong partnership.

As you may know, given your family origins, your election last year held great meaning for us, as Nigerians poured into the streets to broadly celebrate new possibilities and optimism for the people of Africa. As a proud Muslim man, I was inspired by your historic June 4th speech in Cairo, in which you stated "So long as our relationship is defined by our differences, we will empower those who sow hatred rather than peace, those who promote conflict rather than the cooperation that can help all of our people achieve justice and prosperity. And this cycle of suspicion and discord must end."

I respectfully submit to you, Mr. President, a proposal to reconsider these targeted policies against Nigerian nationals, which contradict the essential principles of your Cairo declaration. I believe that peaceful cooperation, fruitful partnerships, and mutually respectful engagement is possible between the people of the United States and the Muslim world, and Nigerians are ready to lead the way. But you must give us a chance to build trust.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Nasir El-Rufai
January 8, 2010
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by netpro(m): 4:24pm On Jan 09, 2010
I saw this on Facebook. I hope something can be done to relieve Nigeria the tag of a bad name. Thanks El-rufai, G55, Nairalanders and others who have added their voice. I hope a real leadership returns to this Nation.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by deluxecad(m): 4:38pm On Jan 09, 2010
Sounds good and well composed. But this same guy has corruption issues to answer down here in Nigeria, where's he writing from? Although America may have been hasty in their tagging of Nigeria as a nation to look out for, I think they want to get some crazy stuff cleaned out. Umar Farouk was just following in d steps of extremist people like El-Rufai. Like begets like.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by sammyzacks(m): 6:13pm On Jan 09, 2010
iN WHAT CAPACITY WAS ELRUFA'I WRITING OBAMA? ISN'T THE PRESIDENT SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THAT?
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by naijamini(m): 6:14pm On Jan 09, 2010
Are you trusting allegations made by President's Yar'adua's government and his AGF against people like Rufai and Ribadu. You really shouldn't when the CBN and EFCC have acknowledged that the $15 million cash bribery offered by Yar'adua's bankroller, Ibori, was lodged at the CBN, and when they can't fish out the people behind the many real corruption allegations with international dimensions. Rufai and Ribadu's travails are simply due to their role in the previous administration. Gen. Obasanjo was just too big for Yar'adua, Ibori and the AGF to touch. Like Rufai, we all believed in the "clean image" of Yar'adua, not knowing that he was merely green snake under green grass.

Nigeria would have been better off if Rufai had actually become president or at least allowed to continue his reform-mentality into the current administration. Nobody is without blemish, not in the Nigeria of today, but Yar'adua's administration is turning out to be one of the worst if something is not done very fast.

deluxecad:

Sounds good and well composed. But this same guy has corruption issues to answer down here in Nigeria, where's he writing from? Although America may have been hasty in their tagging of Nigeria as a nation to look out for, I think they want to get some crazy stuff cleaned out. Umar Farouk was just following in d steps of extremist people like El-Rufai. Like begets like.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by naijamini(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2010
If you are actually looking for a Northerner to become President, he is probably the most qualified right now - just the way I see it, but I may be wrong. To answer your question, unlike the imperial presidency that Nigeria runs, anybody can write anything to the POTUS (i.e. President of the United States).

sammyzacks:

iN WHAT CAPACITY WAS ELRUFA'I WRITING OBAMA? ISN'T THE PRESIDENT SUPPOSED TO BE DOING THAT?
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Tsiya(m): 6:22pm On Jan 09, 2010
netpro:

Dear Mr. President,

It is an honor to humbly address myself to you on this occasion, and extend a warm greeting to wish you a successful New Year.

Nevertheless, there are strong arguments which point out that the addition of Nigeria to a terrorism list causes more damage than benefit. For example, we have seen terror attempts perpetrated by a wide variety of nationalities and ethnic backgrounds, so it is impossible to define a typology. Yemeni authorities also indicate that the individual was recruited in London, United Kingdom, a close ally of the United States. Furthermore, following the reprehensible terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, passengers arriving from Saudi Arabia to the United States were not subjected to this kind of treatment, despite the fact that eleven of the attackers held Saudi passports.

As you may know, given your family origins, your election last year held great meaning for us, as Nigerians poured into the streets to broadly celebrate new possibilities and optimism for the people of Africa. As a proud Muslim man, I was inspired by your historic June 4th speech in Cairo, in which you stated "So long as our relationship is defined by our differences, we will empower those who sow hatred rather than peace, those who promote conflict rather than the cooperation that can help all of our people achieve justice and prosperity. And this cycle of suspicion and discord must end."

I respectfully submit to you, Mr. President, a proposal to reconsider these targeted policies against Nigerian nationals, which contradict the essential principles of your Cairo declaration. I believe that peaceful cooperation, fruitful partnerships, and mutually respectful engagement is possible between the people of the United States and the Muslim world, and Nigerians are ready to lead the way. But you must give us a chance to build trust.

Nasir El-Rufai
January 8, 2010

While I commend any public comment by an official of the Government of Nigeria (present and past), El Rufa'is letter is just opportunistic and sycophancy. El Rufa'i, doesn't represent any good descent Nigeria and Nigerians able to use their head and brain should not be deceived. El Rufai is a typical Nigeria that can kill his mother to achieve his political aim. He presents himself as a progressive, but with due respect, he only considers his personal progressive above all Nigeria.

While I do not celebrate any of his current misfortune and trials, I take them as a lesson for any Nigerian to deal justly whenever he is in the position to do justice to all. While ElRufai was in the previous government, they have not done anything to tackle the root cause of the rampant religious and secterian violence. ElRufai, by his utterances and actions, have precipitated religious and ethnic intolerance in Nigeria. ElRufai, because of his lack of foresight, he is instrumental to the current political quagmire that Nigeria found itself. Please let us not be fooled

El Rufa'i is a typical Nigerian who rushes to say something before he thinks. Simple basic research would have told him 15 of the Hijackers are Saudi not 11. And making reference to Saudi doesn't even make sense, since Saudi has been included in the list long time ago. He should have made reference to United Arab Emirates (2 Hijackers are from their) or with Egypt (one Hijacker with AlQaeda no. 2 coming from their)
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Kobojunkie: 6:24pm On Jan 09, 2010
Why did he feel the need to write on behalf of Nigerians? I mean I would have preferred it if he spoke for himself on this.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by spikedcylinder: 6:25pm On Jan 09, 2010
sammyzacks:

Which one?
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Tsiya(m): 6:30pm On Jan 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Why did he feel the need to write on behalf of Nigerians? I mean I would have preferred it if he spoke for himself on this.

El Rufai can do anything to gain recognition.

We wont forget his Third term campaign for Obj. We wont forget his mismanagement of NITEL. We wont forget destruction of lives and properties in the name of Master Plan. We wont forget that, he plays very important part in the appointment of Yar'adua as president. He stinks of Nigerian problems. He want to claim he is a saint and a victim.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Afam(m): 6:38pm On Jan 09, 2010
Tsiya:

El Rufa'i is a typical Nigerian who rushes to say something before he thinks. Simple basic research would have told him 15 of the Hijackers are Saudi not 11.

It is shocking to read stuff from some Nigerians without any respect for facts. The other day I read where he stated that 6000MW would amount to 58 minutes using 60W bulb.

It seems he never takes time to understand certain issues before commenting on them.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 09, 2010
netpro:

Dear Mr. President,

My reasons for writing this letter, however, are regrettable. Please allow me to be among the first to express my profound sadness and distress on behalf of all Nigerians for the recent attempted terror attack over American soil on December 25, 2009. Our feelings of outrage and rejection of this appalling act are beyond words, and we pledge our full solidarity to you against the specter of international terrorism.

How? By simply stating this in a letter? What did you do when you were in government to solve the constant religious crisis in the north?
Nigerians are tired of empty "pledges".

netpro:

Unfortunately, this narrowly averted tragedy also raises tremendous concerns for both my people and their relationship with the people and government of the United States of America.

El Rufai to be honest, the only "concern" this issue raises with me is whether my family and friends would obtain visas easily to the US no thanks to the cowardly action of one of your own.

netpro:

In the aftermath of this event, official decisions have been made with regard to security policies and practices to ensure the safety of American citizens, as is the full right and responsibility of your offices. One of the new measures put in place has been to subject incoming passengers of Nigerian nationality to undergo the same security screening procedures as state-sponsors of terrorism.

In light of the Boko Haram case why should this be a surprise? Is this the first time islamic extremism has been raising its ugly head in Nigeria? Where were you when members of the Kaduna state legislature were celebrating the 9-11 attacks on the US? Where you aware that northern houses of legislation passed reolutions banning Danish products following the mohammad cartoon incident? What actions did the Nigerian government take when Osama Bin Laden first mentioned Nigeria as a potential recruiting ground for Al Qaeda in 2001? Sir, your letter is 8 yrs too late.

netpro:

I write to inform you that inside Nigeria and among our large diaspora, this understandable change in policy has created a negative and hopefully incorrect perception that the United States considers us to be a terrorist state. There are significant fears that other countries will adopt similar measures, and speculation that 150 million innocent and peace-loving citizens of Nigeria could be subjected to racial profiling and discriminatory treatment at all airports and transportation hubs in the world.

Sir . . . this isnt new, we're already used to hiding our green passports in shame. Dont worry . . . you can roll out more "re-branding" ads.

netpro:

Serious threats from international terrorism must be confronted head on with tough policies and strong actions on behalf of a united international community. I understand that in its rightful pursuit of security, the U.S. government is confronted with difficult choices and sometimes controversial decisions.

Err can you please mention one of such "tough policies and strong actions" Nigeria is taking? I think that is the issue the US wants you to address, not meaningless letter-writing exercise.

netpro:

Instead of providing an additional security precaution, this decision has sown deep bitterness and distrust on the streets of Lagos and Abuja, among people who firmly reject the actions and beliefs of this one tragically misguided individual. It saddens me to witness this acrimony, and it is hoped that when constitutional order is restored from the currently troubled leadership, that the U.S. and Nigeria can repair their once strong partnership.

Speak for yourself sir . . . this action hasnt sown any "deep bitterness and distrust" . . . infact it has further cemented the fact that we truly have no government. How long did it take our country to provide an official statement after the Dec 25 failed attacks? Judge for yourself.

Ordinary Nigerians have more distrust in you than the US.

netpro:

I'm sorry . . . but Obama's election holds no promise to the average Nigerian. Kindly remind us how many times Obama has abruptly left the country for 45 days to undergo medical treatment in Germany without properly handing over to his vice.

The cycle of discord must indeed end but it must start from misguided and evil terrorists like Muttallab.

netpro:

Flowery words are fine and dandy, unfortunately they are not worth the paper they are written on.

I'm not sure how you can claim Nigerians are "ready to lead the way" when our president remains missing.

netpro:

Nasir El-Rufai
January 8, 2010

David
Jan 9, 2010.

NB: The magical year 2010 is here now . . . we still have no light, no water, no healthcare, no president, more looting, irresponsible governance . . .
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Tsiya(m): 7:04pm On Jan 09, 2010
Afam:

It is shocking to read stuff from some Nigerians without any respect for facts. The other day I read where he stated that 6000MW would amount to 58 minutes using 60W bulb.

It seems he never takes time to understand certain issues before commenting on them.

It should be recalled that this administration, nearly 2 years ago, not only revised downwards the Obasanjo plan of 10,000MW by the end of December 2007, but promised the delivery of only 6,000 MW within 18 months, and also an additional 11,000MW by 2011. Now, to put this reduced target in perspective, 6,000MW continuously generated and distributed for 150 million people, equally shared per person will only power a single 60W light bulb for about 58 minutes a day! The rest of the nearly 23 hours will be part dark, and part without any radio, TV, refrigerator or fan working. And forget about air-conditioning!

http://el-rufai.org/2010/01/nigerias-power-failure/#more-105

While I acknowledge that 6000MW is very meager and just sufficient enough to power 60Million, 100W Electric bulbs, the arguement that ii will just power60W for 58 minutes is ridiculous. The quote above is from his website, where he famously attacks Yar'adua on anything and  defends OBJ government. If he argues 6000MW as enough to power Electric bulbs for 58 minutes as the time they left this country what was their generating capacity? Was it not less than 3000MW sometimes going as low as below a 2000MW and that was in may 2007. How could he justify his claim that they would have met 11,000MW between June to December?

ElRufa'i is suffering from narcisstic disorder. ElRufai is a liar and one of the major problems Nigeria is suffering from.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by Knight1(m): 7:12pm On Jan 09, 2010
That El-Rufai guy is just an opportunist, if not for a useless Yar'adua Govt, that rogue should have no reason to speak publicly, with all the corruption and abuse of office that riddled the FCT Ministry. He must take everybody to be a fool, rubbish!!!!!
Feeling like a saint, disgusting!
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by naijamini(m): 7:26pm On Jan 09, 2010
@Tsiya

I agree with you that El-Rufai made many missteps, and those directly affected may not forgive him, but so it goes in life. The third term agenda is one for which, while they were dancing to the tune of the piper, both El-Rufai and Ribadu would have to reconcile with Nigerians as they seek to serve again. On electricity El-Rufai was not in charge of power until a crisis right after the third term agenda failed, I think. NITEL has always been a moribund/corrupt institution and not El-Rufai's fault - unless there is something I don't know. I hope that, if he gets a chance or whoever happens to become our next president, that the basic approach would be to get government out of businesses that private hands can manage without problems, while managing the transition with care to prevent the suffering of Nigerians.  

El-Rufai has said and done other things that suggest he is a bit over-zealous sometimes, but that is not really bad thing, but something that must be controlled. Check your facts carefully is something that we all need to take to heart. He also went to D.C. and practically announced that Yar'adua would become president even before his nomination. Also said that he was going to be learning Chinese after leaving the government because China is the next great powe or something like that. Gen. Obasanjo made statements about Nigeria perching with China as the next great power too - another reason for America to be mad at us. All these are things Nigeria's leaders must learn not to do.

My perspective though is that when you have to pick among hard choices you pick the best. El-Rufai to me has more exposure to the issues & answers to Nigeria's problems, overall has performed well at the Federal level, and is more progressive than most of the other potential leaders you can pick if the presidency must remain in the North come 2011.

Nigerian's would be crazy to allow Yar'adua a second term!

Tsiya:

While I commend any public comment by an official of the Government of Nigeria (present and past), El Rufa'is letter is just opportunistic and sycophancy. El Rufa'i, doesn't represent any good descent Nigeria and Nigerians able to use their head and brain should not be deceived. El Rufai is a typical Nigeria that can kill his mother to achieve his political aim. He presents himself as a progressive, but with due respect, he only considers his personal progressive above all Nigeria.

While I do not celebrate any of his current misfortune and trials, I take them as a lesson for any Nigerian to deal justly whenever he is in the position to do justice to all. While ElRufai was in the previous government, they have not done anything to tackle the root cause of the rampant religious and secterian violence. ElRufai, by his utterances and actions, have precipitated religious and ethnic intolerance in Nigeria. ElRufai, because of his lack of foresight, he is instrumental to the current political quagmire that Nigeria found itself. Please let us not be fooled

El Rufa'i is a typical Nigerian who rushes to say something before he thinks. Simple basic research would have told him 15 of the Hijackers are Saudi not 11. And making reference to Saudi doesn't even make sense, since Saudi has been included in the list long time ago. He should have made reference to United Arab Emirates (2 Hijackers are from their) or with Egypt (one Hijacker with AlQaeda no. 2 coming from their)

Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by sammyzacks(m): 7:46pm On Jan 09, 2010
El Rufai should shut up!He has nothing to say. He is part of the Nigerian problem. Ribadu is a better guy as far as I am concerned.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by chidichris(m): 9:55am On Jan 10, 2010

this idiot must learn to speak for himself. he is a fugitive in nigeria and as such has no moral back-up to speak on our behalf. he is not our spokesperson. those who destroy our country shld seize to be our representatives.
by the way, who made this idiot our leader. he is as good as the terrorist himself.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by 18platoon(m): 12:34am On Jan 11, 2010
I am in support of all those bashing this el-rufai of a fraud, the guy is not real he is fake. RIBADU is more sincere, and i thank you all for seeing the truth.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by becomrich16: 1:16am On Jan 11, 2010
I think el rufia is just playing with Obama head. .

And I am not joking.    special status for the yorubas, when entering into the USA, so that they should not be considered as Nigerian. why suffer for another man problem.

I do not agree with El rufia, the north should be held responsible and not Yemen. Is yemen also responsible for all the terrorist act in Nigeria, which nobody have been charged. Even the state is part of the act.
Re: Nasir El-rufai Writes Obama On U.s. Terror Watch List by netpro(m): 3:08am On Jan 11, 2010
18 platoon:

I am in support of all those bashing this el-rufai of a fraud, the guy is not real he is fake. RIBADU is more sincere, and i thank you all for seeing the truth.

To all of you bashing El-rufai. I don't really think its that a great idea, cos everyone doing the best they can for the good of the country (even myself that declears the president missing). He is over their he shouldn't be silent.

Some of you even question his capacity to speak, haba! For all the tens of thousands of thread and replies here, I wonder on what capacity una dey talk? I appreciate your concerns but you should allow how. I would have been glad if that was President Yar'Adua's letter on 25th Dec. But you see,

@ becomrich
You never cease to amaze me how everything usually boil down to "the federal republic of south nigeria". Do keep it up though. And I have a job for you: can you do some map-reading on Yar'Adua's location?

(1) (Reply)

Ibori In Defiant Mood As He Is Released On Bail! / President Goodluck Jonathan Suspends The Super Eagles For 2 Years / I Challenge Obasanjo To A Walk (without Security Details) In Ota – Osoba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.