Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,862 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:51 AM

Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family (1907 Views)

Don’t Kill Your Husband. This Is How To Deal With Him If He Is Cheating On You / Accessories For Wife/spouse : Family / I Am Emotional Abused By My Spouse, What Shall I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Wisebird22(m): 12:58pm On May 09, 2017
Pls guys i need ur advic/opinion..i and my gal are ready to get married,we asked for the marriag list and i was given and her dad asked me to study it and cum bck for review on the tings i that am nt comfortabl with,wen we went for the review i and my uncle,most tings i asked for them to b reduced i was told cannot b reduced the straw that broke the camel bck was wen i asked dt ther should forgo the suit that was listed because i had mad it clear to them from the onset that we were only doin traditional,but her uncl (her dad senior bro)flamed up that he doesnt see any tin to reduc in d list inshort that he wasnt consulted b4 the list was given to me that it was too cheap that ntin will b reduced,i got angry that i asked dt av neva seen a traditional marriag wey the brid dad will collect suit for t.m...iv told her to talk to her dad,her elder broda kul me d next day that i shouldnt b angry that he will travel to d villag to talk to his dad,my question is does dt her uncle any right over her wen her dad is stil alive? [b]Pls guys i need ur advic/opinion..i and my gal are ready to get married,we asked for the marriag list and i was given and her dad asked me to study it and cum bck for review on the tings i that am nt comfortabl with,wen we went for the review i and my uncle,most tings i asked for them to b reduced i was told cannot b reduced the straw that broke the camel bck was wen i asked dt ther should forgo the suit that was listed because i had mad it clear to them from the onset that we were only doin traditional,but her uncl (her dad senior bro)flamed up that he doesnt see any tin to reduc in d list inshort that he wasnt consulted b4 the list was given to me that it was too cheap that ntin will b reduced,i got angry that i asked dt av neva seen a traditional marriag wey the brid dad will collect suit for t.m...iv told her to talk to her dad,her elder broda kul me d next day that i shouldnt b angry that he will travel to d villag to talk to his dad,my question is does dt her uncle any right over her wen her dad is stil alive? [/b]Pls guys i need ur advic/opinion..i and my gal are ready to get married,we asked for the marriag list and i was given and her dad asked me to study it and cum bck for review on the tings i that am nt comfortabl with,wen we went for the review i and my uncle,most tings i asked for them to b reduced i was told cannot b reduced the straw that broke the camel bck was wen i asked dt ther should forgo the suit that was listed because i had mad it clear to them from the onset that we were only doin traditional,but her uncl (her dad senior bro)flamed up that he doesnt see any tin to reduc in d list inshort that he wasnt consulted b4 the list was given to me that it was too cheap that ntin will b reduced,i got angry that i asked dt av neva seen a traditional marriag wey the brid dad will collect suit for t.m...iv told her to talk to her dad,her elder broda kul me d next day that i shouldnt b angry that he will travel to d villag to talk to his dad,my question is does dt her uncle any right over her wen her dad is stil alive?
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by bennyrazz: 1:16pm On May 09, 2017
so it is the Suit they asked you to buy that broke the camel's back? @op, as long as it only broke the camel's back and not your back, there is no need to panic. As long as you love your GF, buy whatever they ask you to buy and move on. I don't know why some families see marriage as a poverty alleviation program.

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:25pm On May 09, 2017
If you are NOT ready to buy the suit then STAND YOUR GROUND!!!!
all these foolish people who think that having a girl is a way to enrich themselves, via bride price, are deluded. They don't care about their daughter/niece, don't care about the type of marriage, they only see it as a way to get gifts. NONSENSE!

You have an idea of the type of in-law they will be, and this is an important factor here. Also, what does your babe is saying in all this? Why ask to review the list if they won't reduce anything?!?!

Suit for traditional marriage, yeah right!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Alert(f): 1:46pm On May 09, 2017
@ OP Please modify your post you copied and pasted it twice.

Please always use paragraphs to make your post easy to read.

Finally, don't let the suit stop you, ignore the uncle as it is not everyone in the family that is happy for your woman.
If you love her, suit is just a small obstacle, just work on how you would finance the list....that should be your focus since they have given you the list.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by tonytony208(m): 1:51pm On May 09, 2017
Wisebird22:
Pls guys i need ur advic/opinion..i and my gal are ready to get mar i ?

Are they igbo family? If so, then it depends on you. I don't know why igbos have this idea that their in-law must supply everything they never could afford in their lives because he happens to be marrying their daughters. What's this idea of turning a groom to source of livelihood as if marriage ceremony is poverty alleviation ceremony?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Melahou(m): 2:04pm On May 09, 2017
As far as i know you only pay or buy what you can afford.
dont kill yourself on this matter ooh.

Let your fiance's brother talk to their dad so that you guys can reach an understanding.
And as for the uncle he may have a say only if her dad is not saying anything...Left for me i would advised that
you ignore him.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by sisisioge: 3:21pm On May 09, 2017
Well, every family has a way of handling matters o. My uncle , before his death, was 20yrs older than my father. He was more or less his father. So if he wanted to spew woobish...the woobish becomes law. So, do not even try to confront the said uncle since his brother isn't standing up to him. Let your babe's brother talk to his father and sort their family wahala. Only a hungry family capitalizes on their daughter's wedding!

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Blissquare(f): 3:28pm On May 09, 2017
If I may ask, why did u insist on only traditional wedding? Do u hav a hidden agenda? Court wedding is cheaper. Give them whatever they ask. As soon as u are married, stand ur ground and don't let her family manipulate u.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by baby124: 3:38pm On May 09, 2017
Don't marry into a family that puts material things above their child's happiness. Don't marry a family that see their child as a way to milk you, it will never end. There are many fishes in the ocean. Move on and find a girl from a respectable and reasonable family. No reasonable family will force a young couple to spend more than they can afford when they are just about to start their lives together. See all the signs you are getting but you are adamant. Many fine girls around whose parents won't ruin you by their demand ls. Tell her you cannot afford it and will rather move on than spend what you can't afford and see that list scatter. Rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by coolcatty: 3:56pm On May 09, 2017
Oga I see nothing wrong with what the uncle did.

Most marriage lists are written by the entire kindred and must be executed to the later by all prospective inlaw... The uncle is probably angry maybe his own daughters husband paid everything on his own list without getting a concession while ur own father in law wants to deprive the kindred of their benefits by giving u some level of concession.

Marriage is not meant for the faint hearted ...go and settle the family's list...no pity...

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by crackhaus: 4:10pm On May 09, 2017
Marrying a girl from a low-income household can be a pain in the ar.se sometimes though. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by crackhaus: 4:11pm On May 09, 2017
coolcatty:
Oga I see nothing wrong with what the uncle did.

Most marriage lists are written by the entire kindred and must be executed to the later by all prospective inlaw... The uncle is probably angry maybe his own daughters husband paid everything on his own list without getting a concession while ur own father in law wants to deprive the kindred of their benefits by giving u some level of concession.

Marriage is not meant for the faint hearted ...go and settle the family's list...no pity...
Poor man mentality.
What is uncle's business with a daughter that's not his?

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by SirVintageCock: 5:53pm On May 09, 2017
crackhaus:

Poor man mentality.
He is the elder brother and his words overrides the brides father. There is nothing the father can do about it.
Cultures differs and most peeps here won't understand this.
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by nnamdibig(m): 6:04pm On May 09, 2017
OP, if I may ask, what and what are in the list?
If they say you should buy suit, buy suit or is there any required quality??
As far as its marriage list, una go still quarrel and will almost fight so get ready especially when your father in law to be have no say.
It's nothing personal they want to milk you as much as they can because after this, you will probably have nothing to do with them.
So just swallow it and face them and tell them the ones you can do at the moment.
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by NoToPile: 6:08pm On May 09, 2017
Different tribes,different families ,different cultures.

Where I come from the father decides the list in fact its only one time I have seen the extended family putting mouth in list matters but then that's what is applicable here.

In fact it was me and my mum that came up with the list which is almost general across my tribe with slight variations per family or state.

I can't imagine an uncle saying this should be there or not but that's what works in my own culture.

Since uncle 's words overrides that of the father in their culture you just need to appease them . I believe some of this so called uncles do that to frustrate the girls.

Hopefully your bro in-law conversation with the father will yield good results.
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by eyinjuege: 6:18pm On May 09, 2017
baby124:
Don't marry into a family that puts material things above their child's happiness. Don't marry a family that see their child as a way to milk you, it will never end. There are many fishes in the ocean. Move on and find a girl from a respectable and reasonable family. No reasonable family will force a young couple to spend more than they can afford when they are just about to start their lives together. See all the signs you are getting but you are adamant. Many fine girls around whose parents won't ruin you by their demand ls. Tell her you cannot afford it and will rather move on than spend what you can't afford and see that list scatter. Rubbish.

OP, you have been advised o.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by coolcatty: 7:01pm On May 09, 2017
crackhaus:

Poor man mentality.

What makes u think the said uncle did not help in training the girl??

Omoh marriage is hugely capital intensive.... Its something that should be planned....OP should buy the suit and stop whinning..... He wasn't forced to marry godamnit
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 09, 2017
OP dont mind most people asking u to buy it...

Most of them was told the same story which they fell for it.and the circle continue..

Stop/limit communication with the said uncle..Communicate ur opinion with the GIRL...None of those families will feed U and at the end u will be called a Useless man if you lose ur job or passing through hard tyms .

That suit money can be used to pay ur pregnant wife hospital fee or added for naming...

Dont let anyone BULLY/FORCE you ..

Borrow ur best friend money .....they wont pay back..it will end in fight
Start a Business ...Economy is bad ...story left and right...
Try to travell Abroad ..u get scammed.
Decide to get married because of AGE...Relative want to milk U dry.

IF YOU LIKE GIVE YOUR WIFE RELATIVE 10M FOR T.M, The day u lose ur job...the kind insult dat same girl will give u .

SOMETIMES I WONDER IF MARRIAGE IS TRULY BY LOVE OR BY HIGHEST BIDDER ?

We'r all in this RECESSION TOGETHER .

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Wisebird22(m): 7:21pm On May 09, 2017
Blissquare:
If I may ask, why did u insist on only traditional wedding? Do u hav a hidden agenda? Court wedding is cheaper. Give them whatever they ask. As soon as u are married, stand ur ground and don't let her family manipulate u.
so if ur doin court marriage u wont do traditional marriage wer ur from ba?
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by Nobody: 8:44pm On May 09, 2017
I am certain the op is marrying into an Igbo family.

I remember when my younger sis was getting married a lawyer marrying a doctor however neither of them had a job per se.

The wedding was hosted by us as the bride and the husband did just what he could.

Nobody forced anylist on him cos our daughter is not fgor sale.

As I speak he has given our family thinhs worth more than we cpuld have demanded as bride price or list.

Bottom line : archaic Culture and poverty mentality is what you up against.

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by crackhaus: 9:47pm On May 09, 2017
coolcatty:

What makes u think the said uncle did not help in training the girl??

Omoh marriage is hugely capital intensive.... Its something that should be planned....OP should buy the suit and stop whinning..... He wasn't forced to marry godamnit
According to whom or what?
The Bible, Quran, or constitution?

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by crackhaus: 9:48pm On May 09, 2017
SirVintageCock:
He is the elder brother and his words overrides the brides father. There is nothing the father can do about it.
Cultures differs and most peeps here won't understand this.

You realize you just called this innocent girl's father a biitch, yea?

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by bukatyne(f): 10:15pm On May 09, 2017
crackhaus:

Not necessarily... in some cultures, the head of the family (oldest living male) makes the rules and each party do what they like (make their own rules) when they get to their private homes.

Marriages are mostly seen as an extended family affair with the head of the family overseeing the entire process.

How do you expect an average 56yr old father to stand his ground for an 80yr old uncle who probably trained him in secondary school?

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by SirVintageCock: 8:19am On May 10, 2017
crackhaus:

naa, I just let it out as it is.
There is hierarchy in families especially in Igbo families.
He won't do anything at all.
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by zed7: 4:43pm On May 10, 2017
You wan marry? You write like a kid though.
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by megareal: 9:47pm On May 10, 2017
Sometimes, some wicked family members use list to pursue intended grooms. My husband saw hell but calmly gave them everything the asked for when they told him the were not bulging. Mind you, the list was heavy.

Some uncles have more authority than the father of the bride and it's during these marriage things that you know them, besides you never can tell what your soon to be father in law may have done to others.

I'd advise you to buy the suit if you can to avoid any future wahala. It is mainly through traditional marriage things like this that one can procure a lifelong enemy for no reason.

Don't ask your wife to speak on your behalf else they will see her as against the family. Do what you can, your priority should be how to take your wife home.
Re: Advice Needed On Hw To Deal With My Spouse Family by funkycutie(f): 11:21am On May 11, 2017
abeg u don't no where den dey sow suit for Yaba nii....dat should not have cos any issue abeg ...make den sow am put tag ..lobatan cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Should I Marry Him? Please Help A Sister / A Friend Is Dying In Delta State Due To Domestic Voilence- PLEASE READ / Sharing Of Properties With Siblings.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.