Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,663 members, 7,823,877 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) (60542 Views)

Akinwunmi Adeshina Attends G7 Summit, Buhari Snubbed - Reno Omokri (Photos) / ‘Transmission’ In Buhari’s Letter Evokes Laughter Among Senators / Abba Kyari Inserted 'Coordinator' Clause In Buhari’s Letter To NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Atmmachine(m): 12:21pm On May 10, 2017
Noel1:
Your grammar has dysentary! : To rule Nigeria AND NOT To rule Nigerian. Don't forget to thank me!

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 10, 2017
[quote author=Atmmachine post=56384709][/quote]I just did! U owe me a "Thank you".
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by pcei: 12:27pm On May 10, 2017
Juve4:
All i have to say is get well quick.
all I have to say is DIE buhari
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Atmmachine(m): 12:37pm On May 10, 2017
Noel1:
I just did! U owe me a "Thank you".

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Nobody: 12:41pm On May 10, 2017
[quote author=Atmmachine post=56385243][/quote] Ode!
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Azam101: 1:17pm On May 10, 2017
AntiWailer:
Section 145 :
‘Whenever the President is proceeding on vacation or is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, he shall transmit a written declaration to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives to that effect, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, the Vice President SHALL perform the functions of the President as Acting President.’

Buhari cited that section of the constitution that mandate him to transmit the letter

The section does not even empower him to mention anybody as acting President if not he could have nominated his wife or mentioned any other person.

As soon as that letter was read on the floor, the VP becomes the acting President AUTOMATICALLY until another letter comes indicating that the President is back.

The reason Jonathan had issues was because such letter does not exist and it led to a constituional crisis hence DOCTRINE of NECESSITY was invoked to be able to recognise the then VP as Acting President.

STOP looking for trouble where none exist.

When you mix hatred, mediocrity, ignorance and sentiments together, we will not know how to help you.

Pending the time we know what your problem is, we will assume it is just a combination of ignorance and mediocrity.

Extremely f00lish set of people.

" Never underestimate the power of f00lish people in large numbers"

Anonymous.
Jay bless you with these explanations
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by GoodGovernance: 1:21pm On May 10, 2017
topgear:
First and foremost.

The constitution of our great country does not give room for coordinating president.

When writing the letter to the Senate. PMB quoted section 145 of the constitution which says

"145.- Acting president during temporary absence of president

(1) Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, untill he transmits to them in written declaration to the contrary, such functions shall be discharged by Vice-President as Acting President. "

Look at the heading of the section 145

" Acting president during temporary absence of president"

Its quite clear that VP osinbajo is Acting President..

And please recall that the presidency has said that he will sign the budget and swear in the two new ministers.
Those are functions of the president either acting or substantive.

Its funny how nigerians can make a fuzz about nothing..

Please lets put an end to this controversy

This quote is for those who still have comprehension challenges.

I can include an addendum:

By quoting compliance to section 145 of the constitution in addition to other statements,PMB has recognised Osinbajo as both the acting president and coordinator of government affairs.

Let the idiots continue the mischief........ undecided

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by sfinkzslot(m): 1:21pm On May 10, 2017
me smh, the CABAL got no chill, smh
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Splashme: 1:21pm On May 10, 2017
Laugh Wan kill me die......
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Azam101: 1:25pm On May 10, 2017
AntiWailer:
Section 145 :
‘Whenever the President is proceeding on vacation or is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, he shall transmit a written declaration to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives to that effect, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, the Vice President SHALL perform the functions of the President as Acting President.’

Buhari cited that section of the constitution that mandate him to transmit the letter

The section does not even empower him to mention anybody as acting President if not he could have nominated his wife or mentioned any other person.

As soon as that letter was read on the floor, the VP becomes the acting President AUTOMATICALLY until another letter comes indicating that the President is back.

The reason Jonathan had issues was because such letter does not exist and it led to a constituional crisis hence DOCTRINE of NECESSITY was invoked to be able to recognise the then VP as Acting President.

When you mix hatred, mediocrity, ignorance and sentiments together, we will not know how to help you.

Pending the time we know what your problem is, we will assume it is just a combination of ignorance and mediocrity.

Anonymous.
Jah bless u 4 this explanations

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:30pm On May 10, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Just like I said in the other thread about this controversy...

You guys don't understand the point Mao Ohuabunwa was trying to make and I am with him on this. The letter is ambiguous and open to various interpretation.

Yes, we all know what the constitution says and in view of that, Osinbajo is the acting president. But look at it from this perspective: He may give an order or sign a law or budget and someone somewhere will go to court challenging him on the signed law insisting that he was not the acting president and lacked powers to sign such all in a bid to buy time. Please note that the person challenging this knows the outcome already but would want to buy time. He will seek interpretation from the lower courts, then appeal the judgement, and later head to the supreme courts with various court injunctions inbetween and before you say jack, 2 years has elapsed and the culprit is still free because while he is at the courts, all actions will be pending awaiting the court verdict.

This is the lacuna Mao is trying to bring to light. After Osinbajo signs the budget, someone somewhere will spend above the budget next year or next 2 years and when EFCC wades in, he will go to court to buy time, hinging his case on this same thing.

Do not forget that Ngozi Okonnjo Iweala was coordinating Minister under GEJ and we know theirs no powers attached to such portfolio.

The letter could have been innocently scripted, otherwise, it could have been crafted by some mischievous powers surrounding the presidency. Mao is not ignorant of what section 145 says so he knows exactly what he is saying; we call him "Ancient Mao" in Abia North and we have a saying that what an elder sees while sitting down, the youths will not see even if they climb the iroko.

Oga Osinbajo is a professor of law and know what it means, Anybody going to court for that is not just stewpid but daft, There's no part of that letter that says coordinating Vice President, The President said his VP will coordinate the affair of the Government..

Please can you define coordinate for us?

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 1:31pm On May 10, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

To waste his money, and buy time.

Will the time buying stop Osinbajo from performing his duty?
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by jumobi1(m): 1:32pm On May 10, 2017
Petty

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by sweetilicious(f): 1:41pm On May 10, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

You guys don't understand the point Mao Ohuabunwa was trying to make and I am with him on this. The letter is ambiguous and open to various interpretation.

Yes, we all know what the constitution says and in view of that, Osinbajo is the acting president. But look at it from this perspective: He may give an order or sign a law or budget and someone somewhere will go to court challenging him on the signed law insisting that he was not the acting president and lacked powers to sign such all in a bid to buy time. Please note that the person challenging this knows the outcome already but would want to buy time. He will seek interpretation from the lower courts, then appeal the judgement, and later head to the supreme courts with various court injunctions inbetween and before you say jack, 2 years has elapsed and the culprit is still free because while he is at the courts, all actions will be pending awaiting the court verdict.

This is the lacuna Mao is trying to bring to light. After Osinbajo signs the budget, someone somewhere will spend above the budget next year or next 2 years and when EFCC wades in, he will go to court to buy time, hinging his case on this same thing.

Do not forget that Ngozi Okonnjo Iweala was coordinating Minister under GEJ and we know theirs no powers attached to such portfolio.

The letter could have been innocently scripted, otherwise, it could have been crafted by some mischievous powers surrounding the presidency. Mao is not ignorant of what section 145 says so he knows exactly what he is saying; we call him "Ancient Mao" in Abia North and we have a saying that what an elder sees while sitting down, the youths will not see even if they climb the iroko.
Exactly what I was telling my neighbour.We shouldn't think that because we call them Aboki that they don't have sense.They are wise politically
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by aishatu19(f): 1:58pm On May 10, 2017
[size=18pt]Nice one Son![/size]
MaziOmenuko:

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Tflex01: 2:22pm On May 10, 2017
Atmmachine:

Osubande is a mere commissioner

These Afonjas wants every opportunity to rule Nigerian

I pray that the president returns safe and healthy and rule Nigeria for 80 more years

Afonjas have been relegated

Afonjas that have ruled you slaves of the country for 8 years out of 17?? grin
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Kaybaba5(m): 2:38pm On May 10, 2017
Baba osinbajo will surely prevail
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Nellybii: 3:18pm On May 10, 2017
Victornezzar:

Is Reno Omokri an igbo man

Of course not .
Reno O'mockery is a deranged Wailer and a role model to the permanently pained IPOD yoots.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by oluwaahmed: 3:20pm On May 10, 2017
ElsonMorali:
It is a wonder that this orangutan called Omokri is still walking around, a free man.

He is proof indeed that Nigeria is a failed state and "democracy a la Nigerian style" is an albatross on the Nigerian people.

Wat is an albatross 2 d ngrn pple & a strong evidence of a failed state is d fact dat sme1 who is obviously not fit 2 rule is still president. A president dat has gone on sick vacation twice in d space of 4 months wit tax payers(or crude oil) money obviously needs his doctors more his special advisers.
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by ajawara(m): 3:52pm On May 10, 2017
Oches4me:
I need to give this man a job, because for now he lack job.
From your post, all your family members are gainfully employed under this adminstration.
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Basic123: 4:46pm On May 10, 2017
Atmmachine:

I pray that the president returns safe and healthy and rule Nigeria for 80 more years

They've ruled it before now and they are currently ruling and a particular tribe will not taste it at all until biafra is formed.You can now kill yourself.
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by ElsonMorali: 5:14pm On May 10, 2017
oluwaahmed:

Wat is an albatross 2 d ngrn pple & a strong evidence of a failed state is d fact dat sme1 who is obviously not fit 2 rule is still president. A president dat has gone on sick vacation twice in d space of 4 months wit tax payers(or crude oil) money obviously needs his doctors more his special advisers.

That you made valid points doesn't mean my post isn't valid. Please read the first sentence I posted again. I wasn't talking about Buhari, I was addressing the anomaly of a society that entertains the words of alleged criminals and public fund looters in a public space or forum.

Does he think we've forgotten the abhorrent role he played in the last administration?

Anyway, he knows that with Nigerians like you who easily forgive their tormentors and forget their past misdeeds, he can always get away with playing at statesmanship.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Najat101: 5:27pm On May 10, 2017
Acting president is meant to co ordinate the affairs of president in his absence.I wonder why the house is making a fuss of it when this is not the first time he would hand over the post to him.
They are now talking of impeachment nd that shows an amazing drama unfold.
Dear all,
Let 's not get the president wrong, even if there will be an impeachment courtesy demands not in his absence.
Though he may have breach the constitution according to them but notwithstanding Freedom of speech and expression is there!Besides, An emminent say that there is no word "co ordinating "in the constitution but I would like to publicise the fact that it can be found in chapter six, section 148(b) of the 1999 constitution as amended.

I would just say that judgement exist with them but not justice.
We nigerians are better by far sensitive nd we wont stop until we change what we cant accept!
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by paramakina202: 5:31pm On May 10, 2017
From acting to cordinator,what next=conductor
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by oblaak(m): 5:42pm On May 10, 2017
Atmmachine:

80 more years? You wan kill me before my time? Abi I never old reach for your eyes?

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by Laple0541(m): 6:12pm On May 10, 2017
nerodenero:
The stone which the builders rejected will become the cornerstone grin grin

Gbam.......so shall it be, DESTINY CAN NEVER BE CHANGED.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by ThierryJay: 6:43pm On May 10, 2017
I see no issue here from a legal point of view. In the letter, the President referred to his notification of the Senate as being in compliance with Section 145 of the constitution. Now what does Section 145 say?

Section 145 :
‘Whenever the President is proceeding on vacation or is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, he shall transmit a written declaration to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives to that effect, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, the Vice President SHALL perform the functions of the President as Acting President'.

Now let's be objective and critically analyze the above section:

1. 'Whenever the President is proceeding on vacation or is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office' - These are the qualifying conditions and both currently apply to Buhari

2 '-he shall transmit a written declaration to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives TO THAT EFFECT' - The object phrase "to that effect" is grammatically used as a summarized reference to "the effect of something that was mentioned before". What did Section 145 mention in the earlier part of the sentence? that the President is either going on vacation or he can't perform his presidential duties.

In essence, the sentence can be interpreted as "he shall transmit a written declaration to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives to the effect that he is proceeding on vacation or is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office'. In other words, the content of the President's letter is only required, by law, to be a notification of the President's incapacitation or absence. Any other addition is incidental and cannot supersede the intent of Section 145.

3. '-and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, the Vice President SHALL perform the functions of the President as Acting President' - Meaning that unless the President writes that he is back from vacation or he is medically fit to function, the VP will assume Presidential role officially as the Acting President.

Now the above is the most important part. It is this part of Section 145 that transfers the Acting President title/powers to the VP subject to the President's notification of the NA of his incapability. In effect, the President's letter does not transfer the title, it is the law that does. The letter is only a trigger for transfer to happen. Whether the letter mentions Coordinator, Acting President or even conductor DOES NOT MATTER.

And by all means, Buhari's letter satisfied the minimum legal requirements. The Senator was just raising an inconsequential objection.
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by solaere(m): 8:28am On May 11, 2017
fyneguy:

Oga, pakweh!

Buhari referred to the section of the Constitution that defined Osinbajo's role and status, in his letter.

Any fool can go to the court to waste his money. it's not an issue.
gather some sense bro,if he quoted d section in d constitution why not address d letter further constitutionally !!!did u study english @any level of education dat if u kia to attend 1,besides d dico is dia for ur help acting differ to coordinating ....
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by nobleblood: 12:14pm On May 11, 2017
xynerise:

So I am now the problem of this country? shocked

Am I also the cause of your problems? undecided

No you are not the cause of my problem. But the way you and your likes are reasoning is what is causing problem.
Re: Osinbajo After Reading Buhari's Letter - Reno Omokri (Photos) by lordess(m): 11:35am On May 12, 2017
AntiWailer:
Section 145 :

Anonymous.

must you even rain abuses?

just make your point and forget the abuses.

thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 States Where The General Elections Might Be Tough / Bloody / Peter Obi In Central Mosque Bida Onitsha, Makes Donations / Photos Of Victims Of Borno Bomb Blast (Viewers Discretion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.