Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,571 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale (20148 Views)

Emediong Udnak Uko's Artwork About Lagbaja Exhibited In Cyprus Museum / Falomo Bridge Art By Nigerian Students Now At The Thames London / Cars & Helicopters Designed By Nigerian Man Using Wooden Materials (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Nobody: 12:51am On May 11, 2017
For the first time in history, Nigeria is making her debut National appearance in the Venice Biennale’s 57th edition, themed Viva Arte Viva (Long Live Art).

The festival is the most prestigious art exhibition in the world. It is the oldest cultural biennale, started in 1895, which displays large-scale art exhibitions, with countries officially represented by their pavilions. Sadly, there has been a lack of representation of the African continent at the Venice Biennale, with only 7 African countries out of 54 being represented.

The Nigerian pavilion at the 57th Venice Biennale is curated by Adenrele Sonariwo and commissioned by Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki with the support of the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture.

Three talented artists, Victor Ehikhamenor, Peju Alatise and Qudus Onikeku, have been selected to showcase their unique works centered on the theme ‘How About NOW?’

1. Edo State-born Victor Ehikhamenor, an award winning visual artist, writer and photographer.
2. Peju Alatise is a mixed-medium artist. She has a degree in architecture and is also a sculptor, skilled poet and writer with several novels in publication.
3. Qudus Onikeku creates movement identity that fuses dance and acrobatics. He makes the Yoruba traditional culture his basis, combining it with several other influences such as the guiding philosophies of hip hop, capoeira, and contemporary dance, to weave a certain understanding of the human condition.

The exhibition which previews on the 10th of May, will be opened to the public on 13 May and runs till the end of November.

*peju alatises display sculpture at the biennale shown below

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by ugofr(f): 12:53am On May 11, 2017
wow

9 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by SuperSuave(m): 1:54am On May 11, 2017
Keep repping ma while slay mamas keep slaying themselves and their unborn children

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Nobody: 6:56am On May 11, 2017
Victor Ehikamenor is shown below with his art display at the biennale.

3 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by brunofarad(m): 11:35am On May 11, 2017
This is Awesome

I love this

3 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by wakes: 11:36am On May 11, 2017
Great!

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by DONGOYARO1: 11:36am On May 11, 2017
Peju Alatise and Qudus Onikeku. I know both of them very well. Very talented duo. I also know the curator, Adenrele Sonariwo. Great guys

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by VickyRotex(f): 11:37am On May 11, 2017
I'm gonna be "Oliver Twist" here, cos I love Artwork.

So, Please I'm asking for more pictures!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by martyns303(m): 11:37am On May 11, 2017
It speaks to me

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by rumomonga(m): 11:38am On May 11, 2017
Long Live Africa
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by kentoplash(m): 11:38am On May 11, 2017
Beauty with slay brains. Keep it up!

4 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by GeneralOjukwu: 11:39am On May 11, 2017
kiss kiss kiss

Beauty + Talent = Marry me kiss

5 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by saydfact(m): 11:40am On May 11, 2017
interesting piece of creativity. 9ja no dey carry last

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Mckandre(m): 11:42am On May 11, 2017
I like those birds effect, really creative. cool

But from a different perspective the scenario looks kinda demonic and troubling. Black Children with wings, raven flying overhead, scattered dead black butterflies of the underworld. The pics is a screaming scene from the movie The Omen grin

4 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by asumo12: 11:43am On May 11, 2017
Black angel
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by HottestFire: 11:43am On May 11, 2017
cool
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Nobody: 11:44am On May 11, 2017
nice

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by 4C2215131: 11:44am On May 11, 2017
When a woman "decides" to put her mind, her self into achieving something laudable, she more often than not comes out very successful.

The only problem is a lot of females do not "want" to put themselves into achieving something laudable (something less laudable perhaps as the observation works both ways; i.e a woman intent on destruction or less app laudable arts will still succeed excellently at accomplishing her nefarious role).

She is indeed formidable strong when she puts her heart into achieving any thing. Disregard or underestimate her at your own peril.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Tazdroid(m): 11:46am On May 11, 2017
Impressive work.

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by sukkot: 11:46am On May 11, 2017
hmmmmm angels breaking away their chains of bondage and flying and soaring like birds. jude 1 vs 6

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Tazdroid(m): 11:46am On May 11, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:
kiss kiss kiss

Beauty + Talent = Marry me kiss

sukkot:
hmmmmm angels breaking away their chains of bondage and flying and soaring like birds. jude 1 vs 6

enimooko:
All thanks to IPOB

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by dragonking2: 11:46am On May 11, 2017
Niger delta, the region with the most beautiful ladies with exceptional talents!!!

This is beauty with brains. kiss kiss

God bless niger delta people. Una too much
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by enimooko: 11:47am On May 11, 2017
All thanks to IPOB
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by paradigmshift(m): 11:48am On May 11, 2017
nice work.. thank God u ain't in Nigeria .
proud to be an Edo man .
obaghatokpere iseeeeeee .
edorodion

2 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Musiwa419: 11:54am On May 11, 2017
enimooko:
All thanks to IPOB
To slap u just dey hungry me. When did Peju Alatise, Qudus Onikeku, and Adenrele Sonariwo become IPOB?

13 Likes

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Student125(m): 11:57am On May 11, 2017
nice
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by sukkot: 11:57am On May 11, 2017
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Iseoluwani: 11:58am On May 11, 2017
DONGOYARO1:
Peju Alatise and Qudus Onikeku. I know both of them very well. Very talented duo. I also know the curator, Adenrele Sonariwo. Great guys

Who ask u

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Iseoluwani: 11:59am On May 11, 2017
DONGOYARO1:

Who ask u

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by enimooko: 12:00pm On May 11, 2017
Musiwa419:
To slap u just dey hungry me. When did Peju Alatise, Qudus Onikeku, and Adenrele Sonariwo become IPOB?
I dey my Ojukiwu palace dey wait for you. undecided
Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by gaetano: 12:05pm On May 11, 2017
When I saw those birds, first thing that came to my mind was uchiha itachi wink

1 Like

Re: Artwork Displayed By Nigerian At The Venice Biennale by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 11, 2017
paradigmshift:
nice work.. thank God u ain't in Nigeria .
proud to be an Edo man .
obaghatokpere iseeeeeee .
edorodion

They are actually all nigerians with studios in Nigeria. Although they are successful and most of their work is displayed in galleries/theatres all over the world.

The interpretations of their artwork is attached

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Professor Bruce Onobrakpeya's 89th Birthday Is Today / My Years Of Motion Graphics / Graphics Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.