Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation (20669 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by allansie(m): 5:55pm On May 11, 2017
Proud Oau alumnus
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by teebaxy(m): 5:56pm On May 11, 2017
No reference to landmark University, yet u use their Senate building as your picture
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by stuffs4me(m): 5:57pm On May 11, 2017
You may not be vwr
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by pythonkid(m): 5:57pm On May 11, 2017
pls I need updated schools fees for covenant university.. I'm planning to do direct entry, willingness o study computer science
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 11, 2017
Heard ya next pls
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by ebby9z(m): 6:00pm On May 11, 2017
This OP is funny. You mentioned just like two or three competitions to drive your point. Do you want UI, OAU, Unilag people to start talking about competitions they WIN? However, many private institutions are doing better than public, agreed but few of them not as many as you mentioned

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mikebuddy(m): 6:01pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:
Many students in private universities cannot pass jamb

THE TYPE OF QUESTION THEY ASK IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES:

WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL?
(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?

Thats what i heard too when i was in a private University (Madonna)
Now i graduated and ran my MBA in OAU Ife, how come i top the public school graduates?
It is hilarious to ever think you know better than a private school graduate.
School does not study for people! Individuals study themselves.

6 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by currency7: 6:01pm On May 11, 2017
Mmmm

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Lyoncrescent: 6:02pm On May 11, 2017
Public universities are heavily subsidized by government . Imagine unilag paying 35 k as school fees. That's less than 100 dollars.assuming unilag has 30000 students , that comes to about 3 million dollars. Of course unilag generates revenue from other means apart from tuition but tuition is the main part and I am using undergraduate fees as an example. Do you think 5 million dollars(assuming revenue from other sources is 2 million ) not to even talk of three million is enough for unilag alone?. They will pay over 800 staff both academic and non academic and buy vehicles and improve infrastructure and conduct research and buy diesel etc. Professor okebukola once said in channels tv some Years ago as nuc head that if government should stop funding unilag, the averaage tuition fee will be at least 300,000 naira per session. However due to the poverty level in Nigeria, government has no option. So before you think your public university education is cheap, think again . It's not cheap. It is just being subsidized. That being said, with the exception of Lagos business school,no higher institution in Nigeria is close to global standards and of course Lagos business school is private and Damn expensive because like I said earlier it is not subsidized by the government

4 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Handsomecole(m): 6:05pm On May 11, 2017
Private Universities are meant for the rich and only those that can afford it, it's also meant for the lazy rich kids who couldn't pass simple jamb or post UTME.
Even at that we still have the rich coming to Federal Universities to study because they know it's worth. Using OAU as an example ; I know many Govtt officials even law makers who come to the school to get one degree or the other. Infact we have rich parents who still send their kids to these Federal schools cos they know it's worth.
I can't imagine myself leaving OAU cert for one convenant cert when am not mad. Even in the aspect of ICT Internet access has been made so easy these days so u don't have to wait for your school to give you a laptop and free WiFi before you'll do your research. Private schools are comfortable no doubt but in terms of research and academic aspects please don't go there.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 11, 2017
smiley
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Lyoncrescent: 6:10pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:
Private Universities are meant for the rich and only those that can afford it, it's also meant for the lazy rich kids who couldn't pass simple jamb or post UTME.
Even at that we still have the rich coming to Federal Universities to study because they know it's worth. Using OAU as an example ; I know many Govtt officials even law makers who come to the school to get one degree or the other. Infact we have rich parents who still send their kids to these Federal schools cos they know it's worth.
I can't imagine myself leaving OAU cert for one convenant cert when am not mad. Even in the aspect of ICT Internet access has been made so easy these days so u don't have to wait for your school to give you a laptop and free WiFi before you'll do your research. Private schools are comfortable no doubt but in terms of research and academic aspects please don't go there.

The only way to settle oau cert and covenant cert is to meet on a level playing field. If you study accounting in oau and I study my own in covenant, let us both do our acca or maybe cfa. If we both pass at first attempt then we can agree we are both good. If I pass and you fail or the other way around, we can also draw conclusions. The mistake people in public universities make is they believe education should be difficult. It shoudnt. Edcuatuon should be relevant. I've seen brilliant students from oau and unilorin graduate with 2:2. When we all met in the UK for masters, we all had distinction . Does that mean unilorin is better than Warwick ? Education is all about relevance not difficulty and only way you can judge is when graduates from both schools meet on a level playing ground

Furthermore, OAU has been churning out graduates for decades so they have a richer and higher pool alumni hence the perception people have. Give Babcock and covenant graduates more time . Babcock gradauted it's first set in 2003..that's just 14 years ago. Give us 6 years more then you will know how far. Even some organizations specify Babcock and covenant gradautes . So this oba awon university crap won't last much longer. Past glory will soon end.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by ANNOY(m): 6:11pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:
Thank you for ur useless comment

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 6:11pm On May 11, 2017
You want me to believe you are leading in your class? Prove it
mikebuddy:

Thats what i heard too when i was in a private University (Madonna)
Now i graduated and ran my MBA in OAU Ife, how come i top the public school graduates?
It is hilarious to ever think you know better than a private school graduate.
School does not study for people! Individuals study themselves.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 11, 2017
pythonkid:
pls I need updated schools fees for covenant university.. I'm planning to do direct entry, willingness o study computer science
I don't believe CU does direct entry. But full time school fees is 700k to 800k while part time is 150k flat.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:12pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:

(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?

You must be a JOKE!
Come to my school(Igbinedion university) and see questions that wl burst your brain.

#YOLO
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 6:14pm On May 11, 2017
Igbin what ? Is that a primary school? I Dont recognise your school. Type your question here let me solve it for you
richommie:

You must be a JOKE!
Come to my school(Igbinedion university) and see questions that wl burst your brain.

#YOLO
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 6:17pm On May 11, 2017
I ....
Handsomecole:

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 11, 2017
Lyoncrescent:
Public universities are heavily subsidized by government . Imagine unilag paying 35 k as school fees. That's less than 100 dollars.assuming unilag has 30000 students , that comes to about 3 million dollars. Of course unilag generates revenue from other means apart from tuition but tuition is the main part and I am using undergraduate fees as an example. Do you think 5 million dollars(assuming revenue from other sources is 2 million ) not to even talk of three million is enough for unilag alone?. They will pay over 800 staff both academic and non academic and buy vehicles and improve infrastructure and conduct research and buy diesel etc. Professor okebukola once said in channels tv some Years ago as nuc head that if government should stop funding unilag, the averaage tuition fee will be at least 300,000 naira per session. However due to the poverty level in Nigeria, government has no option. So before you think your public university education is cheap, think again . It's not cheap. It is just being subsidized. That being said, with the exception of Lagos business school,no higher institution in Nigeria is close to global standards and of course Lagos business school is private and Damn expensive because like I said earlier it is not subsidized by the government

U're right. In unilag,management and art students pay as low as #14,500, engineering and sciences pay just #19,500.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:
Igbin what ? Is that a primary school? I Dont recognise your school. Type your question here let me solve it for you
clap for yourself!!!
At first, I thought you're so reasonable. . But I was totally wrong, it's obvious your brain is like bungalow, you got nothing upstairs.
Now fvck off and swerve! undecided

#YOLO

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Ayocom123(m): 6:19pm On May 11, 2017
chiefolododo:

(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?

Pls have your fact next time before vomiting rubbish
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by pythonkid(m): 6:19pm On May 11, 2017
Statsocial:

I don't believe CU does direct entry. But full time school fees is 700k to 800k while part time is 150k flat.
like how much for the whole hostel fee thing..., all d allowances for that year, everything...
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Lyoncrescent: 6:22pm On May 11, 2017
LARRYDKING:

U're right. In unilag,management and art students pay as low as #14,500, engineering and sciences pay just #19,500.

Can you imagine. That's 50 dollars. That's as good as them being on scholarship. That's about 4 dollars per month . I bet you they spend more on airtime monthly. Thank God for government subsidy. If not some public universities will even charge more than private universities.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:
I did not get admitted to CU's first batch with 234 in Jamb(2011) and with a very high post jamb score so I don't know what you mean. The following year CU's least cut off mark was 215 so you are wrong about it being a place for ppl who couldn't pass Jamb. Lastly, do you know that webonetrics ranking is a measure of research relevance and for the past three editions CU has been second only to UI. Lastly, for the three times pressid was conducted CU came number 1. So please stop bragging about OAU that does not even have a profile on Times Higher Education.

4 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by pythonkid(m): 6:22pm On May 11, 2017
currency7:
Mmmm
see d fine girl you're chatting with and you're at the LA playing bet naija.. maybe God deliver u
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:23pm On May 11, 2017
Ayocom123:

Pls have your fact next time before vomiting rubbish
Only a wretched soul wl type that.
Fact is, He/His parents can't afford it that's why,they comment out of hatred.

#YOLO

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 11, 2017
Handsomecole:

Gibberish! Things have changed bro. If u said these some 5 years ago, u would have made sense. What exactly is in OAU? Nothing but stress and bedbugs with sadistic lecturers? what is wrong in studying with comfort? OAU students should even shut their traps cos incessant industrial action has cripple the little hope the world has in them, unfortunate! Public schools are now a shadow of what they used to be and privates are taking over.

Hope u're aware OAU is just about to start 2016/17 session. Even the students are tired and psychological disturbed. I have friends there and the pressure on them now is just too much.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by petsam11(m): 6:28pm On May 11, 2017
Wonderful write-up! People should just be enlightened. I hate it when some people come here and attack private schools even without knowing a thing about them. Them say! Them say!! Them say!!! But they have never witnessed it or probably its been long they witnessed but they don't know the current happenings there.
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by mosez346(m): 6:30pm On May 11, 2017
na because of dose DUDE wey in power nw ......
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chloride6: 6:38pm On May 11, 2017
This issue again eh?

If private schools are better, we shall know in the next 10 years.

No be fight ma, why una like argument like this?
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 11, 2017
Lyoncrescent:

Can you imagine. That's 50 dollars. That's as good as them being on scholarship. That's about 4 dollars per month . I bet you they spend more on airtime monthly. Thank God for government subsidy. If not some public universities will even charge more than private universities.

Exactly. I'm a student of the sch and sometimes, I think we pay less for what we enjoy. Free Internet access in almost all classrooms in the faculty of engineering where I belong (can't say of other faculties anyways),libraries and all hostels. Air conditioning systems in all classrooms and projectors with electronic boards and a whole lot of other things. The funny thing is the maintenance culture is high and spoilt devices are easily replace but I tell u, if the fee is increased by one penny, students will shutdown the school immediately.

We want everything for free in this part of the world.

3 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by thesuave10(m): 6:50pm On May 11, 2017
This post is stupid

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Calls For JAMB Registrar’s Resignation / ASUU: My Child Also Affected By Strike - Labour Minister, Chris Ngige / OAU Speaks On Sudden Death Of Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.