Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 PM

Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation (20627 Views)

ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) / 10 Reasons Why Federal Universities Are No Match To Covenant University (PROOFS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 2:26pm On May 11, 2017
In 1948, the university education started in Nigeria when the first university was established in Ibadan. The University of Ibadan came to being after Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH) was established as the first tertiary institution.

In the wake of the birth of Third Republic in 1999, the deregulation of the economy saw the emergence of private universities. The financial crisis facing states of the federation encouraged the establishment of the private universities, which are increasing till date.

It should be observed that the quest to give more choices to the ever-increasing number of admission seekers necessitated the establishment of private universities. Since then, there have been about 60 approved private universities in the country.

Just like the public universities, private tertiary institutions in Nigeria are also being ranked and reviewed annually. Presently, on the table of ranking, some private universities like Benson Idahosa University, Babcock University and Covenant University have better standing among universities, both public and private.

No parent would like to compromise quality for names. Many have augured that private universities are expensive, but the truth is that good life is not expensive but it is the creation that is expensive. These schools give you value for your money; education shouldn’t be so cheap.

Former president of Harvard University, Derek Bok, famously said: “If you think education is expensive try ignorance.”

We should also know that the fees of public-owned tuition have increased and are not as cheap as they used to be.

Most of these private varsities have decided to deploy the use of Information Communication Technology (ICT) to impart knowledge on students, while many public-owned institutions lag behind in this respect. Students, who attend private schools, are easily linked with mentors and research groups as done in many globally-acclaimed schools, but most of our public schools cannot do this.

Public universities brag with the number of doctorates and professors in their employment, forgetting that most of these highly-rated academics still go on sabbatical in private-owned schools because of sophisticated equipment and infrastructure.

At academic and social competitions, private varsities are earning more honour and accolades, compared to public-owned schools. At the sixth International Humanitarian Law Moot Court competition recently held at Lagos State University (LASU), a private school, Benson Idahosa University in Benin emerged winner amidst stiff competition from nine public universities.

In 2011, Benson Idahosa University also emerged second runner- up in the West Africa University games held at the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) in Kwara State. Again, last week at the 25th NUGA, Benson Idahosa University, came third position with a total of 26 medals, defeating 55 state and federal school.

At the just concluded maiden edition of Technology and Innovation Expo, Covenant University finished in third position in the tertiary institutions’ category, defeating 64 public-owned tertiary institutions at the event organised by the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology.

Many parents prefer to enroll their children in private schools because of incessant strike actions, unstable academic calendar, cult activities, low staff-students relationship, insecurity and corruption that have befallen many of these public universities. How can one sing the gospel of public universities when these are the agony faced by students? No doubt, there are a lot of nice angles to government-owned universities, but most are far-fetched.

In private universities, students have comfortable environment to learn, because they believe that a favorable environment is very vital for assimilation of knowledge. These people tend to boast of more infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities for learning.

In public school there is a daily struggle for conducive environment to learn. There you see overcrowded and unventilated classrooms. Students are made to stand for several hours during lectures. How can one learn or think in such unfriendly environment, with so much noise and disorderliness? Not forgetting, that one of the major functions of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.

Another phenomenon that is enjoyed in private institution is the excellent student-lecturer relationship. In a university setting, there is a great diversity in terms of socio-cultural, political, religious and racial backgrounds among students and lecturers. A healthy relationship between lecturers and students does influence students’ academic, personal and social integration into higher education. In private universities, there is a tight bond between the students and lecturers leading to an increase in academic productivity.

http://thenationonlineng.net/private-varsities-stronger/

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by clockwise(m): 2:38pm On May 11, 2017
Nice Write-Up, buh let me categorically state that all fingers are not equal, so anywhere u find yourself either in a public or private universty make it worthwhile. #namoneyeveryonedeyfind. my first FTC....... I GUESS THIS IS A SIGN OF GOOD THING TO COME!

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 2:50pm On May 11, 2017
clockwise:
Nice Write-Up, buh let me categorically state that all fingers are not equal, so anywhere u find yourself either in a public or private universty make it worthwhile. #namoneyeveryonedeyfind.

Sure, true!

6 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by TheVictorious(m): 4:50pm On May 11, 2017
Cc: lalasticlala, Mynd44, Dominique, Statsocial.

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 11, 2017
One of the best things FG did was liberalising higher education early. Imagine if private universities weren't existing currently. We would have had people from the wealthy and middle class leave the currently with badly needed forex to study outside. Already we spend 1.5 trillion on education tourism as a nation and not to talk of the immense racism and discrimination our people face in some places like India.

Currently, there are two universities i believe could go as far as even toppling University of Capetown and that would be Covenant uni and ABUAD. The only issue is that CU as a stronger financial backing due to the financial power of the Church while ABUAD is already accumulating debt.

Also the fact that children of people like Osinbanjo and Fayose and many other politician's kids could school in CU is a vote of confidence on private universities. However not all of them are doing too well. I would advise the secular private unis to team up with politically powerful private unis like Redeemers and CU so as to get access to TETfund(at least the research fund)

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by olusledge: 5:38pm On May 11, 2017
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Moreoffaith(m): 5:38pm On May 11, 2017
Okay

Politicians loot the strong out of public universities and make us believe if our parents are not wealthy we won't have a sound and good education.

They believe frustrating our public universities won't make the poor compete with their kids,

They believe if the poor have a sound education they will attack them in future for their misconduct.

70% of this folks ruling us today all went to public universities.

I am so sure 70% of private university in this country are owned by politicians in one way or the other.

6 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 11, 2017
Expensive and no ASUU RUBBISH

3 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by ipreach: 5:39pm On May 11, 2017
I can not read this, biko
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by DrayZee: 5:39pm On May 11, 2017
This is true. But you'll still see some people hating on private universities just because they can't afford them.

8 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 5:39pm On May 11, 2017
If a parent can afford it, send your ward to a private university like covenant, babcock, AUN, redeemers etc.

public universities are time wasters. The infrastructures in public universities keep deteriorating, then talk about strike, the archaic teaching method, the frustrated sadist lecturers etc.

12 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 5:39pm On May 11, 2017
i just came to book space ;Di just came to book space
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by macuwon(m): 5:41pm On May 11, 2017
What if private polytechnics
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by barallanee(f): 5:41pm On May 11, 2017
Abeg ah no fit siddon read dis post...mke I read comments understand grin
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by talk2alabama: 5:42pm On May 11, 2017
Dino melaye did not go to a private university... I will slap somebody now

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by subsurface: 5:42pm On May 11, 2017
DrayZee:
This is true. But you'll still see some people hating on private universities just because they can't afford them.

U knw na.. a poor man will always say the rich are wicked and greedy.. in naija terms they are blood money people...

4 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 11, 2017
Education is not cheap and should not be cheap especially in a country like Nigeria. Anything cheaper than expected is always inferior and does not always match to it's counter parts. We have a people i.e social problem and our public educational system is not trying to address that, The private uni's are trying tho not as one would expect.
Every year, the number of students enrolling for Jamb keep increasing. Gone are those days where college degree guarantees a future. It once did because we were in the industrial age. Now, it's the technology and information age. It's about your brain skills, what one can do differently. How informed one is. The educational system cannot do this because there is always a "curriculum and syllabus" to follow.i.e there is a norm. The modern business experience changes everyday and thus, one needs more than just degree but first hand information. It's only the private universities that are providing this "information" environment.

9 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chiefolododo(m): 5:44pm On May 11, 2017
Many students in private universities cannot pass jamb

THE TYPE OF QUESTION THEY ASK IN PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES:

WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL?
(A) BABCOCK

(B) OPTION A

(C) OPTION A&B

(D) OPTION C

Na question be that?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by latsy: 5:45pm On May 11, 2017
barallanee:
Abeg ah no fit siddon read dis post...mke I read comments understand grin

Lazy ass.

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Misterdhee1(m): 5:45pm On May 11, 2017
I laugh when peeps claim students go to Private Universities because they didn't pass Jamb. What about those that made use of special centers to secure admission into public unis? Are those ones any better?

The truth is undergraduate studies should be basically about quality and not reputation. What matters most is what the student gets to learn during his/her stay in the university. Private unis provide the enabling environment to achieve this. That to me is a vital factor.

P. S: You won't understand how horrible public unis are in Nigeria, until you have had to pass through certain schools like Lautech.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by AfroSamurai: 5:45pm On May 11, 2017
I wonder when people will know "the school you attend don't matter, it is you that matter".

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Victornezzar: 5:47pm On May 11, 2017
talk2alabama:
Dino melaye did not go to a private university... I will slap somebody now
U smoke weed dis evening
Or are u already migrating 2 d oda world

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by GeoOla25(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2017
#i stand with government owned universities.

3 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by kceewhyte(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2017
OP I thought you said why private part....sorry

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by rozayx5(m): 5:48pm On May 11, 2017
private universities are just breeding grounds for tomorrows elite

ask anyone in PWC and major companies in NIgeria

PWC alone is like a reunion for covenant university grads undecided

9 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by barallanee(f): 5:49pm On May 11, 2017
latsy:

Lazy ass.
I knew an iletrate will mention me...I mke myself happy.....do u knw the kind of person I am ??wonder why u wer nt aborted
Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by chicagoPD(m): 5:49pm On May 11, 2017
Which one is stronger again....is it by brick competition?

1 Like

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Yosuregames: 5:51pm On May 11, 2017
Want to study abroad in 2017?

Do you want to start a career in Journalism as a student? Would you love to study about the New Media and how it relates to the world of communication? Would you love to do all these and more even with a 75% scholarship at European University of Lefke, this Fall for the Academic year 2017-2018?

More interesting, you get 50%scholarships on the following coursessadEngineering, Economics&Administrative Sciences, Arts& Sciences,Communication Sciences,Agricultural Sciences&Technologies, Health Sciences, Education, Law, Architecture, Pharmacy).

Contact me as I would put you through.

FRANICE-FORT AND ASSOCIATES

(+2348102164773)

(+2348137933120)

(Franicefort@yahoo.co.uk)

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by Rick9(m): 5:52pm On May 11, 2017
Nice write up

2 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by GeoOla25(m): 5:53pm On May 11, 2017
rozayx5:
private universities are just breeding grounds for tomorrows elite

ask anyone in PWC and major companies in NIgeria

PWC alone is like a reunion for covenant university grads undecided
Ask anyone in Chevron and shell. there you will find re-union of outstanding federal universities graduates such as OAU, UI , Uniben and some other state universities like UNAD, OOU e.t.c

13 Likes

Re: Why Private Universities Are Stronger In Nigeria - The Nation by PrettyHausaGirl(f): 5:54pm On May 11, 2017
Chaii

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It Possible TO Graduate From A University Without A Singe Carry Over (C.O)? / Man Graduates With A 1st Class In Engineering Despite Losing Parents While In Sc / MOUAU: Michael Okpara University Of Agric 2012/2013 P-UTME [news & More News]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.