Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Donald Duke Wants To Run For Presidency In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Donald Duke Wants To Run For Presidency In 2011 (1291 Views)

N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Presidency In Dilemma Over Four Gov's Secret Alliance With APC. / I’ll Contest For Presidency In 2015 - Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Donald Duke Wants To Run For Presidency In 2011 by trueword: 9:34am On Jan 11, 2010
I'm pasting an excerpt from an interview with Donald Duke done by ThisDay newspaper. The interview was very long so didn't wan't to post whole thing.
After reading the full interview, he came across as someone that understood that the path that Nigeria is currently on is not good and needs to be changed. Seems like someone who offers solutions. He address many of the issues facing Nigeria head on in the interview.
You can read full interview at : http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=163907
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duke:Jonathan’s Stand is Confusing

INTERVIEW

No formalities needed now. Donald Duke, sitting at one end of the small conference table, has already informally lunged into the interview. This is shortly after his approval of the conference room, adjoining the large reception area of his stately Lagos-based office in the upmarket Ikoyi neighbourhood. For the size of the THISDAY team consisting of Yusuph Olaniyonu, Okechukwu Uwaezuoke, Ndubuisi Ugah, Adewole Ajao and photographer, Yomi Akinyele, it would do. The immediate past two-term Cross River State governor reviews the state of the nation and expresses candid views that are impervious to partisan concerns.

What do you want to do next?

I would want to serve my country in a way I think I can be most effective, I wont shy away from that. I don’t belong to the political class that would say if my people want me. If you don’t raise your hands to be counted nobody will count you. I put my hands up before when I sought to be governor of Cross River and campaigned accordingly. I also put my hand up to be president but my attempt was chequered by my party which said it is turn-by-turn.
This is the most stupendous thing I have heard. We fought 30 months to keep this country united. I saw soldiers from Sokoto in Bakassi dying to protect our territorial integrity but when it comes to leadership we’re no longer Nigerians but north and south. The constitution says the broad leadership of the country must reflect our geo-polity. It does not say the presidency should be rotated. Once you do that you have compromised quality and competence. Particularly at a critical stage such as we are now. You don’t say that the doctor you want to heal you in times of crisis must come from a certain place. If we don’t put our best foot forward the consequence may be dire for us and our children.

So what are the challenges you’re hoping to face once you put up your hand, particularly at the party level?

We’ve got to re-evaluate ourselves and not just the party. ‘The truth shall set you free’. What I am saying is of primary benefit to my party and a majority of my party members feel this way.
There are a few cabals here and there, but majority of Nigerians and party members are becoming increasingly worried that the party is not aligned with the hopes and aspiration of the citizenry. Nigerians don’t care where their president comes from. They just want the best. But when we implement a turn-by-turn leadership we are short-changing ourselves.

So are you running for president in 2011?

I would like to. How I would achieve that I do not know but YES. I would like to.
But don’t you think some of the views you’ve expressed here will offend the party leadership?
I think I have earned the right to say I am part of that leadership and my stance is not to please anybody. My primary loyalty is to the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Parties are platforms and from independence to date we have had several of them and they can be transient. The common norm is Nigeria and what best suits Nigeria. If it suits the party, fine but I am not interested in what the leadership or any cabal thinks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Donald Duke Wants To Run For Presidency In 2011 by lannre(m): 9:58am On Jan 11, 2010
I know Duke to be cute,can someone please help me with his achievements, I'm not talking about his resume .Thanks
Re: Donald Duke Wants To Run For Presidency In 2011 by henryhemon(m): 10:57am On Jan 11, 2010
I will gladly support him cuz he is a greatman with vision not a like other normal politician we have around.he is astute.

(1) (Reply)

Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma / Medical Feat: Nigerian Doctor With A Sub-secondary School Certificate / Latest Press Release From Radio Biafra London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.