Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,899 members, 7,834,986 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma (1290 Views)

Iran Military Facebook Page Post Veiled Threat To Nigeria Over Zaria Killings / Iweala’s Latest Jobs Raise Concern Over Abuse Of Office And Conflict Of Interest / 4 Priests Beaten To Pulp As Enugu Govt Battles Anglican Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by jara: 3:21pm On Mar 31, 2010
Omo Father!

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/farouk-martins/abuse-of-african-children-by-catholic-priests-veiled-by-stigma.html

ABUSE OF AFRICAN CHILDREN BY CATHOLIC PRIESTS VEILED BY STIGMA

Farouk Martins Aresa

Africa has the fastest growing number of Catholics and Nigeria is the world’s largest seminary making contribution worldwide. The price our children pay for their interaction with some priests is still hidden in secrecy and embarrassment. The rest of the world has learned to speak out against Catholic priests held in high esteem and beyond reproach that abused their positions. They are not the only offenders of children by any means but their culture of secret confessions only, concealed the real number of children abused, even outside of Africa.

While the Catholic Church has been sued worldwide for damages, it is noteworthy that the stigma of homosexuality is so strong in Africa, claiming damages from the Catholic Church are not an option. As the stigma is lifted, people may come forward and sue. If it was in Africa that people were claiming damages in millions of dollars, people could have attached poverty or opportunistic motives to those victims.

Treatment for these children that have become grown men and women, if they come out talking about it, may take another layer of re-reorientation into normal African lives or culture on top of other problems afflicting us. It must be handled differently from the way adults in other countries are treated. Indeed, some may have been told that it got them out of poverty and lack of education that were made available in Catholic churches then. In other words, they have to decide if after benefiting from Catholic schools, abuses from some priests were worth it.

Once Africans start coming out relating their experience in the hands of abusive Catholic priests, another dimension may come in. The obvious one can be racism which may over shadow the real issue of abuse of children. African slaves have been told in the past that they were rescued from diseases and poverty and must consider themselves lucky to be in the western world. By the same token, should the abused children thank these Catholic priest for their training and education, stay quiet and be grateful?

Children may hold adults in awe but their memories are resilient. Some of their parents would not have believed them in Africa anyway. It was the same parents that encouraged and dropped them by the monasteries for practice two or three times a week; if they only knew then. Apart from churches, missionaries established schools and some of them had hospitals but not as big as Government hospitals of those days when the Country worked well.

So, some of the best and most prestigious schools in Nigeria in those days were Catholic schools. The students were much disciplined and they compete very well in their final year’s national examinations. Other denomination schools were Salvation Army, Anglican and Methodist schools. There were also Muslim school like Jubril Martins, Ansar-Ud-Deen and Hammadiya schools. The Government schools were of equal or higher status then because the emphasis was not on religion.

Some of the secondary schools that trained Catholic priest were free and some of the children knew they were not going to be a priest but wanted a good education anyway. As soon as they could take school certificate, they bolted out. Most of them did stay on and became Reverend fathers and sisters. Many parents hid their disappointment that a particular child was lost to Catholic Church, would not spread their genes and expand their seeds.

We have always suspected the coziness between our friends and their priests while growing up. There was some suspicion about reverend fathers that could not be translated into the open. Indeed we had different kinds of jokes and adulterated church songs not suitable for writing, about “servers” and their reverend fathers in Catholic churches. If our parents ever heard our jokes in schools then, they might have taken action.

This aberrant behavior of the Catholic priest had to do in large part with the celibacy and loneliness in places far away from home or without friends they lost once they became Reverend fathers and sisters. We had a few that abandoned the church and later got married. Now that everything is in the open worldwide except in Africa and probably Asia, it means children were not as stupid and unaware as adults thought.

Africans are very sensitive about manhood, even outside Africa. That is why many gay African Americans that are bisexual pose a great danger to women in their unsuspecting communities by transmitting HIV. But the diseases like urinary tract infections, HIV and other promiscuous behavior were not noted amongst Catholic priests. It could also be kept in secrecy from what we now know. Lately that HIV virus has spread in Africa, it may be interesting to know how much of it is concentrated to homosexual activity because HIV virus is just as common in limited number amongst heterosexuals in Africa.

In view of the long lasting effect sexual abuse has on children, the damages done to African children cannot be ascertained until they start coming out of the closets. So far, a book has been written about the abuse by Malidoma Patrice Some from Dagara community in Bukina Faso who was kidnapped from his village at the age of four and trained in the church. He had to relearn his language and culture after he escaped at the age of 20, like the African Christians who came back after slave trade to convert their people.

It is no wonder that African kids who were in Malidoma’s shoes, were told that Chukwu which means God in Igbo is the name of the devil. So we were renamed in the name of God. And so it is that many Africans today bear Christian and Muslim names, prefer Queen’s titles than those of Africa they consider sacrilegious. Some of us like those we met while in the western world even styled our names into English. So Bimbo may change to Bim.
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by Abbaj: 3:56pm On Mar 31, 2010
Keep judging d world's sinless and holiest man. Chk urself', U r d wost
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by jara: 4:48pm On Mar 31, 2010
Abba j:

Keep judging d world's sinless and holiest man. Chk urself', U r d wost

Pity you were hurt.

You better come out and tell your own story like the rest of the world. Sinless eh? After wicked infacuation with children that can only confess to the same abusers secretly. They will burn in hell.
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by Sunofgod(m): 5:16pm On Mar 31, 2010
"Headline - The Hausa/Fulani/Muslim Propagandist Invade Nairaland with Bows, Arrows and Ignorance"

shocked
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by Travelista(f): 5:33pm On Mar 31, 2010
People always talk about men molesting boys but almost always ignore priests molesting girls; that's far more prevalent that lecherous gay priests. I know of two priests (one in Iwo and the other in Bodija, Ibadan) that had/have ties to Regina Mundi in Iwo and those two men were disgusting. There were so many complaints about these priests but no one would believe the young girls. I know this only because I went to that school for a semester and insisted on being moved back to Lagos because of the strange going ons. I visited on of the priests on a visit to Ibadan and was shocked at what I saw while he was in the privacy of his home. I still fume about it and would love to expose these wolves in sheep's clothing; I am still a practicing Catholic but we have to be careful about putting other man on pedestals and acting as if they are above temptation.
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by jara: 6:03pm On Mar 31, 2010
Travelista:

People always talk about men molesting boys but almost always ignore priests molesting girls; that's far more prevalent that lecherous gay priests. I know of two priests (one in Iwo and the other in Bodija, Ibadan) that had/have ties to Regina Mundi in Iwo and those two men were disgusting. There were so many complaints about these priests but no one would believe the young girls. I know this only because I went to that school for a semester and insisted on being moved back to Lagos because of the strange going ons. I visited on of the priests on a visit to Ibadan and was shocked at what I saw while he was in the privacy of his home. I still fume about it and would love to expose these wolves in sheep's clothing; I am still a practicing Catholic but we have to be careful about putting other man on pedestals and acting as if they are above temptation.

For you to come out and say it takes courage. For a long time, anyone that dares say anything against Catholic priest are cast as devils. Even when we know some girls, as you mention, in their schools tried abortions and some died. Guess who buried them in prayers? The same priest. As the writer of this article mentioned, all those jokes about Catholic priest, where did they come from? No smoke without fire.

So if you do not want to be called a sinner and a devil, just cover it up. Those days are gone.
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by Nobody: 8:17pm On Mar 31, 2010
What annoys me is that Muslims instead of facing their own problems and solving them, they have resulted to accusing Christians. It's even worst. At least Those priests eventually gets caught and sent to jail, But under Islamic law, it is legal to marry and sleep with a 9 years old. One of you Fulanis/Hausa just married a 13 years old girl. Won't you worry about that? 18 platoon, Jara and their writer Farouk Martins are alll buck of camel Molesters. Does the fact that Christianity is bad change the fact that Islam is?
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by jara: 9:01pm On Mar 31, 2010
9jaganja:

What annoys me is that Muslims instead of facing their own problems and solving them, they have resulted to accusing Christians. It's even worst. At least Those priests eventually gets caught and sent to jail, But under Islamic law, it is legal to marry and sleep with a 9 years old. One of you Fulanis/Hausa just married a 13 years old girl. Won't you worry about that? 18 platoon, Jara and their writer Farouk Martins are alll buck of camel Molesters. Does the fact that Christianity is bad change the fact that Islam is?

FYI Jara is neither Muslim nor Christian so your prejudice is misplaced. Call a spade a spade, this is not west v. east, Christian v. Muslims or me against you. It is about abuse of children period either by Muslim or Christian. Kind of Zulu is Christian and children parade every year to his relief. That is not the point here. Sharia condone all type of nonsense, that is not the point here.

Abuse of Children in any form under the guise of prayer is the point here.
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by hayenna: 10:27am On Apr 20, 2010
Hi,
I too am very sorry to hear about the abuse you witnessed. I have heard rumors that our priest here in my country, who is from Nigeria, has been accused of similar things when he was in Nigeria, but I have not talked to anyone who can tell me whether or not this is true. Is there any way you could send me an email and tell me the names of the priests that were doing these things? You would of course be anonymous. My email address is gavleskog@live.se.
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by manil: 10:32pm On May 21, 2011
Travelista:

Travelista is the biggest liar known to man. How can u make such dirty accusations. What disgusting thing did you see there and youre getting unnecessary replies. For starters what were you looking for in private room and if you knew he was disgusting why did you still go to his home. youre a hypocrite and a shame to other women/girls. save your lies for hell. I know the fathers in that school even though there are people like that, those people arent. Dont get it twisted. naughty woman
Re: Abuse Of African Children By Catholic Priests Veiled By Stigma by manil: 10:52pm On May 21, 2011
manil:

Travelista is the biggest liar known to man. How can u make such dirty accusations. What disgusting thing did you see there and youre getting unnecessary replies. For starters what were you looking for in private room and if you knew he was disgusting why did you still go to his home. youre a hypocrite and a shame to other women/girls. save your lies for hell. I know the fathers in that school even though there are people like that, those people arent. Dont get it twisted. BITCH

(1) (Reply)

‘madman’ Attacks Obasanjo At Lagos Airport / Nigeria Immigration Services (nis) Nabs 12 Illegal Immigrants In Ogun / Age Limit: Used Vehicles Flood Auto Market - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.