Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. (70051 Views)

The Origin Of Lagos And Bini Relationship / The Origin Of Urhobo People / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 3:51pm On Mar 02, 2019
Weedfree:
if we were to look at it through carbon date NRI was founded during 900 period which is old but not the oldest in Nigeria civilization that still exist. The oldest should be Sungbo's Eredo dated around 800 period and is the earliest prof of a developed kingdom than Previously believed.

there is noting like nri kingdom i can prove it to you if they give me the first 5 king of the kingdom, because a kingdom without a king is not a kingdom

the oldest kingdom in igbo is aunicha and agbor and asaba this people can tell you the name of their first king till date, so how can you say a kingdom that was larger than this 3 kingdom above have no king.

if it have they should submit the first 5 king
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 4:47pm On Mar 02, 2019
goalernestman:

there is noting like nri kingdom i can prove it to you if they give me the first 5 king of the kingdom, because a kingdom without a king is not a kingdom

Wow u are really taking this thing seriously because I used the word kingdom well then deal with it because it is a kingdom and here is why.

The kingdom was a heaven for all those who have been rejected in their communities and also a place where slaves were set free from bondage. NRI expanded through converts gaining neighboring communities allegiance, not by force. Nri's Royal founder, Eri, is said to be the sky being that came down to earth and then established civilization. One of the better known remnants of NRI civilization is manifested in Igbo ukwu artifacts which I may add is older than yours.

The NRI culture is believed to stretch back to at least the 13 century, with a traditional foundation by Eri dated 948. The 15th recorded obalike, was deposed by the British administration in favor of the warrant chief system, but the title continued to be held.

U asked for the list well here it is

Eri
948- 1041

EZE NRI
ìfikuánim
1043- 1089

EZE NRI
Nàmóke
1090- 1158

EZE NRI Buífè
1159- 1259

EZE NRI Omalo
1260- 1299

EZE NRI Jiofo
I
1300- 1390

This are some of their names that prof NRI is a kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by RedboneSmith(m): 5:34pm On Mar 02, 2019
goalernestman:

the oldest kingdom in igbo is aunicha and agbor and asaba this people can tell you the name of their first king till date, so how can you say a kingdom that was larger than this 3 kingdom above have no king.

First five. Here you go.

Nri Namoke/Nri Ifiukuanim (Their reigns sort of clashed; long story)

Nri Buife

Nri Omalo

Nri Jimofor

Nri Omalonyeso

It continues to confuse me how you people come here to grandstand on topics you do not know anything about.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 12:28am On Mar 03, 2019
goalernestman:

Ahaba and Nsukka are off-shoots of Nri. Do you know that?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 12:29am On Mar 03, 2019

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:19am On Mar 03, 2019
Probz:

Ahaba and Nsukka are off-shoots of Nri. Do you know that?

But this is not true. Especially for Nsukka.

Nnebisi founder of Asaba was materially from Nteje which is an Umueri town, but not an Umunri town. People often fail to realise that Umunri and Umueri are not the same thing. Umunri is a subset of Umueri.

Nsukka Asadu was not founded by the Nri. Nri people only surjourned there. The way they surjourned in scores of other places.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 11:46am On Mar 03, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Nnebisi founder of Asaba was materially from Nteje which is an Umueri town, but not an Umunri town. People often fail to realise that Umunri and Umueri are not the same thing. Umunri is a subset of Umueri.

Nsukka Asadu was not founded by the Nri. Nri people only surjourned there. The way they surjourned in scores of other places.

it now you both and still you both can not tell me the first and second king of Nri kingdom or even the first 5
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 12:06pm On Mar 03, 2019
goalernestman:

it now you both and still you both can not tell me the first and second king of Nri kingdom or even the first 5

Can't u see I listed it for u above now u have nothing to say than to repeat the same thing again
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by RedboneSmith(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2019
goalernestman:

See, I have little patience for idiots. Me and one other guy supplied you with the names of the first five Eze Nris of Agukwu. You reappeared and continued asking the same silly question. Don't be unfortunate this afternoon.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 5:50pm On Mar 03, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Actually, Nri civilization in Anambra is the oldest human organization/settlement/civilization in southern Nigeria that appeared in the 9th century. Ife civilization came into fore around the 12th century and the Bini civilization around the 14th or 16th century. Igbo>Yoruba>Bini...in that order.

I forgot to add, in southern Nigeria. Corrected.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 5:54pm On Mar 03, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Nsukka people have tales of an Nri migration though, which they call 'ishi'/'nshi'. The surname, onyishi (onye ishi, ishi as in Nri not 'blind') is quite popular among them. Ogwashi Ukwu call it Nshi as well, as in Ogwa Nshi Ukwu (great Nri settlement).

I spent 6 years of my life in Nsukka and interacted with the people quite a lot.

The Asadu/Achadu part refers to the role they played when the Igala kingdom was at its peak about 300 years ago (not sure of the exact date).

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 5:59pm On Mar 03, 2019
bigfrancis21:

I forgot to add, in southern Nigeria. Corrected.

Could well be the oldest in the world. Don’t be in such a rush to correct yourself.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Probz(m): 6:01pm On Mar 03, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Nsukka people have tales of an Nri migration though, which they call 'ishi'/'nshi'. The surname, onyishi (onye ishi, ishi as in Nri not 'blind') is quite popular among them. Ogwashi Ukwu call it Nshi as well, as in Ogwa Nshi Ukwu (great Nri settlement).

I spent 6 years of my life in Nsukka and interacted with the people quite a lot.

The Asadu/Achadu part refers to the role they played when the Igala kingdom was at its peak about 300 years ago (not sure of the exact date).

Mhm. Plus I have both Nsukka and Nri blood running through my veins so it’s hard to overlook similarities between both towns. Maybe not from a purely factual perspective but the shared elements in culture are unmistakable if you’re doubly-acquainted with both if I towns.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:22pm On Mar 03, 2019
bigfrancis21:

I just asked a prominent Nsukka man well-versed in his people's history about this Onyishi claim and he told me the title has nothing to do with Nri at all, which agrees with what i know about the title - Onyishi simply means headman; I am in Nsukka right now as I type. He also told me his people call Nri Nshi; never Ishi. There are deities in Nsukka that were introduced from Nri, e.g., Ezoguda. And there are lineages in Nsukka area that came from Nri. But to call Nsukka an offshoot of Nri is just not correct. Igbo settlement in Nsukka is very old, one of the oldest in the entire Igboland.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by bigfrancis21: 2:25am On Mar 04, 2019
RedboneSmith:

I just asked a prominent Nsukka man well-versed in his people's history about this Onyishi claim and he told me the title has nothing to do with Nri at all, which agrees with what i know about the title - Onyishi simply means headman; I am in Nsukka right now as I type. He also told me his people call Nri Nshi; never Ishi. There are deities in Nsukka that were introduced from Nri, e.g., Ezoguda. And there are lineages in Nsukka area that came from Nri. But to call Nsukka an offshoot of Nri is just not correct. Igbo settlement in Nsukka is very old, one of the oldest in the entire Igboland.

The Onyishi in question is pronounced with falling accents, almost like saying 'blind person'. It is different from Onye Ishi (head person) pronounced with rising accents.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by UmuEri(m): 7:31am On Mar 06, 2019
Weedfree:

Wow u are really taking this thing seriously because I used the word kingdom well then deal with it because it is a kingdom and here is why.

The kingdom was a heaven for all those who have been rejected in their communities and also a place where slaves were set free from bondage. NRI expanded through converts gaining neighboring communities allegiance, not by force. Nri's Royal founder, Eri, is said to be the sky being that came down to earth and then established civilization. One of the better known remnants of NRI civilization is manifested in Igbo ukwu artifacts which I may add is older than yours.

The NRI culture is believed to stretch back to at least the 13 century, with a traditional foundation by Eri dated 948. The 15th recorded obalike, was deposed by the British administration in favor of the warrant chief system, but the title continued to be held.

U asked for the list well here it is

Eri
948- 1041

EZE NRI
ìfikuánim
1043- 1089

EZE NRI
Nàmóke
1090- 1158

EZE NRI Buífè
1159- 1259

EZE NRI Omalo
1260- 1299

EZE NRI Jiofo
I
1300- 1390

This are some of their names that prof NRI is a kingdom.

Stop decieving people abeg. Eri is not a sky being and you can never force lie on people no matter how you tried. I have met one on one with even the "Adama Nri" and he couldn't prove 2% of all this claims.

Here is the real account if you wish to know:

The Children Of Eri : Settlements & Dispersal

1. Dabar. Also known as Dabarwo has been described as leader of the settlers. He was well known for his magical and mystical power that researchers have over the years christened him as “Eri” (Though all historical evidence pointed out that Eri did not make it to Africa. It was Dabarwo who moved the Omambala River to its present location according to the Oral tradition of Umueri. The source of the River (known as Oku in local parlance) & trace of the Omambala are still located in Ugume Umueri till date. Some Historians also equates him as Levite assigned to the clan of Eri, but this is certainly not true due to relationship that exists between his descent and other Umueri. He has numerous children amongst who was a daughter Okpu, whose descendants lived side by side with Children of Eri male offspring. The descendants occupied Eri vast farmland known as Agu-Eri. Today they are known as Aguleri. According to various oral tradition of Agueri people, the descendants are the Aborigines Aguleri that other migrating tribes met on arriving the community

Dabarwo other male Children led by Ugwu Dabar and others settles at Ugume Umueri in present day Ikenga Umueri. His descendants include all the villages in Ugume Umueri, some part of Enugwu Aguleri. Some of his descendants founded Ogwume Kwale and trace of other of their descendants could be seen in most of Igbo adegbe communities of Awka North. During the Bini Conquest of Omambala areas some of his descendants founded Igbanke Edo State.

2. Nri: He was said to be of the same biological mother with Dabarwo and also possess some powers. He along with his families dwelled in Eri-aka-Ugume Umueri. Nri was the first to migrate out of the clan following disagreement with his brother Dabarwo. He was the founder of Umunri Clan. They settled at Akampisi in present Agukwu nri, where they are called the Umudiana village of the Town of Agukwu. It’s pertinent to note that some of their descendants who could not move out of Ugume became known today as Umudiana Umueri, in Ikenga Umueri.. His descendants include the earlier founders of Umunri clans of Igboland that includes Enugwu Ukwu, Enugwu Agidi, Nawfia and Agukwu and extension to all Nri clans of Igboland that includes, Oraeri, Agbaja , Nnewi, Ogwashiukwu, Agbor and others

3.Nameyi: Namenyi, known also Nneyi for short, settled with his family at the present Nneyi Umueri. Namenyi sons founded Ezi Clan of Umueri, through her daughter Iguedo, she founded other communities like Ogbunike, Awkuzu, Umunya, Nando and aboregene Onitsha, whom Eze Chima conquered to establish Onitsha. At later stage, his descendants were the original aborigines of Ossomari Ogbaru, the Ozeh Nkwelle & some Enuani villages etc

4. Omazi: Omasi that’s now regarded as Omasi Settled at Agu Eneneanya and Agu Oda in Today Ifite Umueri. He was progenitor of Ivite Umueri Villages and some of his descendants includes the Ire people, who could be found in some Anambra towns of Abba, Obosi, Ogidi, Umuoji and even in Enugu Ukwu. There are segment of his descendants that were part of earlier formation of Anam communities.

5.Riam. He is known also as Nriamu in local parlance. He Was said to be the progenitor of some part of Ikenga Umueri, more especially the Umueriam and Mgbago axis of the community and some part of Ivite Aguleri, particularly the Umunnoke who settled at Agu-eri. Some of the descendants also were the founders of Achalla , Ebenebe some other Aghamelum communities in Aghamelum LG of Anambra State

6.Ekema: Popularly called Eke. Was founder of Ogonogo Adegbe in Ikenga Umueri. He was the progenitor of various Adegbe clans. Trace of some of his descendants could be found in Umunya, Nsugbe and some who relocated to Kogi state as a result of the Aro/Ohafia/Edda slave raid. Most of the villages across the area with Igbo names were founded by his descendants.The trace ofhis descendants are still ongoing

Even in their new settlement they upheld the culture of Hebrew worshipping, circumcision, burial & others. Some school of thought are of opinion that it’s these settlers that set up 3 temples in the ancient Umueri clan known as Obuga, which they claimed was establish as place of worship and covenant with the God of their fathers and also to serve as meeting point between them and God. This school of thought claimed Obuga was a short form of Obu-Gad in memory of their grandfather 'Gad' . This according to them is in line with shortening of names culture in the community. For examples, Obuora is Obua, Onwuegbusi is Onwuesi; Okafor is Okaa, Ejimofor is known as Ejoor and so on and so forth.

It amazes scholars that out of these three Obuga, only the one at Agu-eri is known today as “Obu-Gad’, albeit mischievously, while the other two at Nneyi and Ugume have continued to remained unchanged. Though there are those in the community that are hell bent in ensuring that it undergo the same change with the one now under the occupation of the Aguleri.

It must also be noted that there was no culture of king and King-making pending when the Igala people invaded the land and brought with them the system of kingship; The Bini Kingdom also tried introducing its kingship by imposing the Ezes & Onowu dynasties but it yielded no success as the Umueri (children of Eri) resisted this cultural encroachment before the colonial administrators inserted surreptitiously on them the system of warrant chief.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 10:29pm On Mar 06, 2019
UmuEri:

Stop decieving people abeg. Eri is not a sky being and you can never force lie on people no matter how you tried. I have met one on one with even the "Adama Nri" and he couldn't prove 2% of all this claims.

Here is the real account if you wish to know:

The Children Of Eri : Settlements & Dispersal

1. Dabar. Also known as Dabarwo has been described as leader of the settlers. He was well known for his magical and mystical power that researchers have over the years christened him as “Eri” (Though all historical evidence pointed out that Eri did not make it to Africa. It was Dabarwo who moved the Omambala River to its present location according to the Oral tradition of Umueri. The source of the River (known as Oku in local parlance) & trace of the Omambala are still located in Ugume Umueri till date. Some Historians also equates him as Levite assigned to the clan of Eri, but this is certainly not true due to relationship that exists between his descent and other Umueri. He has numerous children amongst who was a daughter Okpu, whose descendants lived side by side with Children of Eri male offspring. The descendants occupied Eri vast farmland known as Agu-Eri. Today they are known as Aguleri. According to various oral tradition of Agueri people, the descendants are the Aborigines Aguleri that other migrating tribes met on arriving the community

Dabarwo other male Children led by Ugwu Dabar and others settles at Ugume Umueri in present day Ikenga Umueri. His descendants include all the villages in Ugume Umueri, some part of Enugwu Aguleri. Some of his descendants founded Ogwume Kwale and trace of other of their descendants could be seen in most of Igbo adegbe communities of Awka North. During the Bini Conquest of Omambala areas some of his descendants founded Igbanke Edo State.

2. Nri: He was said to be of the same biological mother with Dabarwo and also possess some powers. He along with his families dwelled in Eri-aka-Ugume Umueri. Nri was the first to migrate out of the clan following disagreement with his brother Dabarwo. He was the founder of Umunri Clan. They settled at Akampisi in present Agukwu nri, where they are called the Umudiana village of the Town of Agukwu. It’s pertinent to note that some of their descendants who could not move out of Ugume became known today as Umudiana Umueri, in Ikenga Umueri.. His descendants include the earlier founders of Umunri clans of Igboland that includes Enugwu Ukwu, Enugwu Agidi, Nawfia and Agukwu and extension to all Nri clans of Igboland that includes, Oraeri, Agbaja , Nnewi, Ogwashiukwu, Agbor and others

3.Nameyi: Namenyi, known also Nneyi for short, settled with his family at the present Nneyi Umueri. Namenyi sons founded Ezi Clan of Umueri, through her daughter Iguedo, she founded other communities like Ogbunike, Awkuzu, Umunya, Nando and aboregene Onitsha, whom Eze Chima conquered to establish Onitsha. At later stage, his descendants were the original aborigines of Ossomari Ogbaru, the Ozeh Nkwelle & some Enuani villages etc

4. Omazi: Omasi that’s now regarded as Omasi Settled at Agu Eneneanya and Agu Oda in Today Ifite Umueri. He was progenitor of Ivite Umueri Villages and some of his descendants includes the Ire people, who could be found in some Anambra towns of Abba, Obosi, Ogidi, Umuoji and even in Enugu Ukwu. There are segment of his descendants that were part of earlier formation of Anam communities.

5.Riam. He is known also as Nriamu in local parlance. He Was said to be the progenitor of some part of Ikenga Umueri, more especially the Umueriam and Mgbago axis of the community and some part of Ivite Aguleri, particularly the Umunnoke who settled at Agu-eri. Some of the descendants also were the founders of Achalla , Ebenebe some other Aghamelum communities in Aghamelum LG of Anambra State

6.Ekema: Popularly called Eke. Was founder of Ogonogo Adegbe in Ikenga Umueri. He was the progenitor of various Adegbe clans. Trace of some of his descendants could be found in Umunya, Nsugbe and some who relocated to Kogi state as a result of the Aro/Ohafia/Edda slave raid. Most of the villages across the area with Igbo names were founded by his descendants.The trace ofhis descendants are still ongoing

Even in their new settlement they upheld the culture of Hebrew worshipping, circumcision, burial & others. Some school of thought are of opinion that it’s these settlers that set up 3 temples in the ancient Umueri clan known as Obuga, which they claimed was establish as place of worship and covenant with the God of their fathers and also to serve as meeting point between them and God. This school of thought claimed Obuga was a short form of Obu-Gad in memory of their grandfather 'Gad' . This according to them is in line with shortening of names culture in the community. For examples, Obuora is Obua, Onwuegbusi is Onwuesi; Okafor is Okaa, Ejimofor is known as Ejoor and so on and so forth.

It amazes scholars that out of these three Obuga, only the one at Agu-eri is known today as “Obu-Gad’, albeit mischievously, while the other two at Nneyi and Ugume have continued to remained unchanged. Though there are those in the community that are hell bent in ensuring that it undergo the same change with the one now under the occupation of the Aguleri.

It must also be noted that there was no culture of king and King-making pending when the Igala people invaded the land and brought with them the system of kingship; The Bini Kingdom also tried introducing its kingship by imposing the Ezes & Onowu dynasties but it yielded no success as the Umueri (children of Eri) resisted this cultural encroachment before the colonial administrators inserted surreptitiously on them the system of warrant chief.

I don't know what ur problem is I just wrote what I read and it said Eri is a sky being but if u don't like that one I got others.
Eri is said to be the original legendary cultural of the Umu-eri groups of igbo people. It is possible Eri migrated from igala area and established community in the middle of Anambra river valley (at Eri-aka) in Aguleri where he married two wives. The first wife, Nneamaku, bore him five children. The first was Agulu, the founder of Aguleri (The ancestral head of Eri kingdom clans) (the Ezeora dynasty that has produce 34 till date in Enugu Aguleri), The second was Menri, the founder of Umunri/kingdom of Nri, followed by Onugu, the founder of Igbariam and Ogbodulu, the founder of Amanuke. The fifth one was a daughter called Iguedo, who is said to have borne the founders of Nteje and Awkuzu, Ogbunike, Umuleri, Nando and Ogboli in onitsha. As one of the children of Eri, Menri migrated from Aguleri, which was an still is, the ancestral temple of the Umu-Eri ( Umu-Eri and Umu-Nri). His second wife Oboli begot Onoja, the only son who founded the igala kingdom in kogi state.
Eri is the founder of the Umueri and Umunri clans, both of whom were some of the most influential and powerful dynasties of priest and diviners in igboland adjacent such as bini and igala/idoma areas.

The other is that Era came from Israel and is the fifth son of GAD who left Israel and went by sea until he arrived in Anambra where he established Nri kingdom.
So u see there are different origin stories to Eri. But the sky being story may not be true but just like the Yoruba oduduwa origin they say he came from Heaven to earth, He came from the middle east and That he came from Benin. So they are different origin story to Eri so pick ur choice.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by UmuEri(m): 11:55pm On Mar 06, 2019
Weedfree:

I don't know what ur problem is I just wrote what I read and it said Eri is a sky being but if u don't like that one I got others.
Eri is said to be the original legendary cultural of the Umu-eri groups of igbo people. It is possible Eri migrated from igala area and established community in the middle of Anambra river valley (at Eri-aka) in Aguleri where he married two wives. The first wife, Nneamaku, bore him five children. The first was Agulu, the founder of Aguleri (The ancestral head of Eri kingdom clans) (the Ezeora dynasty that has produce 34 till date in Enugu Aguleri), The second was Menri, the founder of Umunri/kingdom of Nri, followed by Onugu, the founder of Igbariam and Ogbodulu, the founder of Amanuke. The fifth one was a daughter called Iguedo, who is said to have borne the founders of Nteje and Awkuzu, Ogbunike, Umuleri, Nando and Ogboli in onitsha. As one of the children of Eri, Menri migrated from Aguleri, which was an still is, the ancestral temple of the Umu-Eri ( Umu-Eri and Umu-Nri). His second wife Oboli begot Onoja, the only son who founded the igala kingdom in kogi state.
Eri is the founder of the Umueri and Umunri clans, both of whom were some of the most influential and powerful dynasties of priest and diviners in igboland adjacent such as bini and igala/idoma areas.

The other is that Era came from Israel and is the fifth son of GAD who left Israel and went by sea until he arrived in Anambra where he established Nri kingdom.
So u see there are different origin stories to Eri. But the sky being story may not be true but just like the Yoruba oduduwa origin they say he came from Heaven to earth, He came from the middle east and That he came from Benin. So they are different origin story to Eri so pick ur choice.

Again you are mixing things up maybe as a result of some junk being peddled around by history invaders, so I won't blame you bro.

But let me help you put the records straight, Eri never gave birth to anybody called Agulu and I challenge you or anybody to show evidence.

The real Account and Oral Tradition & History of Eri justifies and points to the undeniable fact that Umueri, also mispronounced Umuleri and Aguleri is the cradle of Igbo race. The place called Aguleri (Agu- Eri) today is the Farmland of Eri as the name suggests.

The Community was homogenously of Igbo ethnic group and she is located at the heart of Omambala Valley bordered by Omambala River and various Anam Communities in the north, Nteje to the South, Aguleri and Nando in the Eastern flank and Nsugbe at the western western part.

Umueri was the oldest human settlement established by early Igbo founders. According to earliest scholars like GT Basdon “ it was part of the earliest human settlement, east of the Niger.”. This much was agreed by other Historians such as Prof Elisabeth Isichei who concurred that Anambra Valley was indeed the first area of human existence

THE HISTORICAL ORIGIN

The available oral tradition passed from generation to generation indicates that Umueri ancestors are group of migrating clan from an unknown place, though of late research on their habitats, cultural practices and artifacts they left behind suggests a connection with the fleeing Israelites of post Exodus era. The Settlers that infiltrated into the land settled at a place called Eri-aka and founded a clan called “Umueri” . Though the exact date, that they settled on the land was not known, many scholars were of view that it occurred around 940AD

According to Umueri Oral tradition, the town was nucleus of migrating but nomadic Clan which traced its origin to Eri, the son of Gad, the 7th Son of Jacob (Gen 29 vs 30). Although there were no written records existing to back up this assertion, its indeed true that the religious practices obtained in the area was a mixture of ancient Hebraic and animistic religion, as confirmed by the Early Europeans that visited the area

The following are names of 6 children of Eri who along with the families, concubines and slaves migrated into the enclave. They include:

Dabar (Dabarwo), Nri (Nrifukuanim),Namenyi (Nneyi), Riam (Nriamu), Ekema (Eke) & Omazi (Omasi) . Also in the parties include Children of other fleeing descendants of Jacob, who are not biologically children of Eri. Most of them moved upland to form the Igala kingdom, whereas some other migrated into the forest of Igboland. But the descendants of Eri assembled themselves at the Omambala valley and nicknamed themselves “Umueri Ovuakwu- which literally implies “Eri descendants of one stock

Meanwhile scholars are now of view that these early settlers, who lived in eastern Jordan migrated to Ethiopia where they dwelled for some time in valley of River Omo (also called River Omor), at the southern part of the country. It was from there that they journeyed southwards through the River until they arrived at bank of Omambala River. At that particular time, the River Omambala was a very large sea that flows from Enu Ugwume to Ugwu River in Adegbe Ikenga Umueri to the present location of the River. The settlers seeing that it was a very Huge River christened it “Omo-mbala” implying a very huge River (Literally meaning larger Omor River).It was from Omo-mbala, it became known as “Omambala” and corruptly christened Anambra by the Murtala Administration in 1976

Meanwhile, the mighty Omambala covers about 2/3rd of present Ikenga Umueri stretching over the modern day Aguakor farmland to Akor Stream as well as covering portion of Agu-Eri farmland (modern day Ezi Agulu and Ivite Aguleri) down to the whole of Otuoche(Otuocha). The Oral tradition of Umueri has it that it was these settlers led by Mystical Dabarwo that used their magical power to move & reduce the size of the overflowing sea to the river that we have today, thereby throwing up more uplands for many to live .

ARCHEALOGICAL EVIDENCES

Archaeologically, the trace of the habitat of the Early Igbo Settlers are still visible today in Umueri, for instance, "Akpu Nri" and "Okpotoeki" are still at Ugume Umueri, Whereas Akpu Nri is an antiquity of Great importance. It’s over a thousand year Old tree located at Ama Iruakpu-Ugume Umueri. It was said to be founded by founders of the early settlers of Agukwu Nri who left long time ago. The Surviving Generation of Elders confirmed it as antiquity of Great Historical Importance. Below are other Historical sites that would interest researchers in Umueri

1. Dabarwo Sacred Forest:- This place was habitat of earlier settlers and also serves as Tomb of the Dabarwo. Till death miracles are still recorded by going to the grave sites to call his names. It was also claimed by our ancestors that the early settlers established a temple of worship (obuga) at that area. The trace are still there till date.

2.Aro Nneyi:- Aro Nneyi was a habitat founded by Namenyi. In ancient Umueri clan that include all ancient Igbo communities and even unto today, the place served as holy city, where all the children of Eri gathered annually for prayers and prophetic declarations annually known in local parlance as “Iguaro”. Oral tradition confirmed that it was there that the Head of Iguedo was also buried. The early settlers also established a temple there (obuga). It now serves as the palace of Aro Chief priest.

3.Aja Ana Ukwu:- Is deity that the early settlers built to enable them sanitize the communities from atrocities and sacrilege. It serves as where to atone for sin and abomination cleansed. Its located in Nneyi Umueri. This earth goddess was built in obedience of stipulation of Exodus 20:24:

“"An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.

4.Ugwu River: The Ugwu River also served as habitat to descendants of Ugwu Dabawo. Though they later migrated back to Ugwume at the demise of their father Dabawor. According to the oral tradition it was there that the miracle that moved Omambala down to its present location. The trace of that movement is still visible unto this date

The Erroneous Story of Iguedo

The Origin of Iguedo though seems to be a great puzzle to Historians than that of Eri/Dabawor but her importance in history of Igbo origin could not be over emphasis. Some Scholar attempted to credit her as maternal ancestry of Umueri town, but this attempt failed because there was no way She could be a daughter of Eri and got married to same man or his son inorder to begat Umueri. This is tantamount to taboo or "nso ani" in Igbo Culture. The Second Group has tagged her as Eri daughter who was allowed by her father to bear children at home without been married. But the Oral tradition of the entire Iguedo clans disagreed with this assertion as it could have amount to bastardization of Culture if Eri made such a taboo as all of their tradition indicates paternal origin

From Umueri Oral tradition, it’s clear that Iguedo was daughter of Nnamenyi, a sibling and co traveler of Dabawor. Her Father Nnamenyi were regarded in this version of Umueri oral tradition as founders of a portion of Umueri land known today as Nneyi Umueri (Short form of Nnamenyi Umueri). She was quoted to have married various men that include one of the earlier founder of Ogbunike, Onitsha Ado, Awkuzu, and Nando. Other version included Umunya as part of her children.

This much was also contained in Ozemena Nsugbe hit album “Kedu Ebe Igbo Si we bia” . On her death at Nando after a lengthy protracted sickness, Nando invited the rest of the towns she founded for burial arrangement and also sent message to Children of Nnamenyi, that their daughter has died . But then there was commotion and quarrel-lings on where to enter her body. Ogbunike who was the eldest of the Iguedos wanted the body to be taken home (Ogbunike) for burial since they are Children of the First Child but Nando Objected on the ground that they were people that took after her during her old age. Unknown to all of them, Umueri Emissary from Nnamenyi Clan had already made up their mind that their daughter corpse shall not be lost abroad Ozu Nwa Ada ana efu na Mba When commotion aroused due to arguments on where to buried her, the Emissary have no choice but to cut off her head and took it home where it was buried in Nneyi Umueri. This marks the cultural ritual of returning female corpse back to their ancestral home in Igbo adegbe area of Igboland.Ibuna ta Ozu Nwa Ada

Today the trace of her tomb is found in the Shrine of the Aro Oracle of Umueri while her body was finally buried in Nando. In order to commemorate her memorial, there was traditional annual Iguaro & "Oriri nne Iguedo" been celebrated in Nneyi Umueri and Nnado respectively unto this very day. And all her Children and relatives are expected to be there for the rituals

Over the years due to the gathering of Umuiguedo at Nneyi Umueri to commemorate the great Amazon, some scholars out of sheer ignorance distort history by regarding Umueri as part of Umuiguedo clan. This has led so many into believing in fallacies been peddled by the adversaries of Umueri.

Relationship between Umunri & Ancient Umueri

[]b“The original settlers of the communities that make up the Umunri clan are descendants of the first settlers of Umueri. Therefore the people of Umunri, otherwise called Nri Kingdom, are part of our ancient town. The clan that consists Enugwu Ukwu, Nawfia, Agukwu and Enugwu Agidi trace their ancestry to Nri Ifukuanim of ancient Nri-aka Umueri. It is a fact that amongst numerous people that constitute the Umunri Kingdom, the descendants of Umueri people are regarded as aborigines or the head of their various communities. Those communities were even named after founders of Umueri lineages. The original settlers in Nri are from Nri-aka in old Ugume ana of Ikenga Umueri.[/b]

Nri people were actually occupying the large expanse of land between Ugume Umueri and Ikem Nando (then in old Umueri town) which today subsist in Ugwu Nzu. “There is a popular road path which exists till date which the the Nri people use for their itineraries from Ugume to Ugunzu and is called ‘EZI NRI AKA’ till today. The vast area was inhabited by the descendants of Umu-Eri up to Omabala na Ezu before the present settlement of aguleri which is a recent settlement.

The Ire and Oraeri were living in the portion of land lying between Agu Eneneanya and Agu Oda in today Ifite Umueri and Nneyi Umueri. The Ire people abandoned this area in flight due to the war between them and the Igalas. “Today the Ire people can be found in Abba, Obosi, Ogidi, Umuoji Enugu Ukwu. Occupying these portion of lands today are several artifacts’ and monuments, shrines, etc left behind by the fleeing Ires. “The Umunri oral tradition also confirmed that they once lived amongst our people here in Omambala valley.

The Nri people of Umueri extraction had no king just like every other true Igbo town until the arrival of the Igala settlers who were forced to scatter and live amongst all Igbo towns in northern Igbo communities as a result of the ancient war that was waged by the people of ancient Umueri clan. It was the Igala elements that brought the issue of kingship in Nri. It was a foreign culture amongst the earliest settlers.

The Aguleri & Umueri Relationship

Aguleri and Umueri were Neighbors and from all available evidence some part of Aguleri are part of ancient Umueri clan,that are descendants of the first Igbo settlers. Long ago, some of the villages of Aguleri people and Umueri live in ancient Umueri town as a community before the people of Ezi-agulu, Enugu & Onogu migrated from Igala land, following series of War between the Igbos and Igalas.

Aguleri which really translates to farmland of Eri (Agu-Eri) just like other farm settlement such as Agu Nnamenyi or Nnamenyi Farmland (Agu Nneyi for short), Agu-Mgbede(Mgbede farmland), Agu Ukatta(Ukatta farmland) was indeed a recent settlement inhabited by the descendants of Okpu of ancient Umueri town(now in Aguleri) until they were joined by strangers elements from Igala also referred as Umu-si-olu. The Inhabitants of Aguleri as presently constituted are largely immigrants from different places and they met the Okpu people of Ivite Aguleri who are referred as the head Village of Aguleri. The Okpu Village traced their lineage to Ugume-ana Village of Ikenga Umueri.

The Oral tradition of Umueri traces the genealogy to Dabawor, one of the descendants of Eri whose only daughter was Okpu, the founder of the most elderly village in Aguleri till today. Nevertheless, to prove the fact that the Okpu , the head village of Aguleri emanates from Umueri, the Okpu Village has kept the ritual practice of paying tribute to Dabawor Shrine. And they have never failed to pay the homage despite recent stain in the relationship Occasioned by land dispute, litigation and war. During Sacrifices, their elders received the daughterly share (an Omambala culture that’s still in existence) of hip or waist of Cow or Goat used for the sacrifice.

Apart from the Okpu, Umumba Igboezunu,Aguleri- the Custodian of Ajana Aguleri and the head kindred of Igboezunu Aguleri was part of ancient Umueri. They have never DENIED it's blood relationship with Ugume (Dabawor) Umueri. At the Installation of an AJANA Chief Priest, Ugume Village of Umueri is usually informed. It’s mandatory that “Sons of Dabawor (Ugume) should be there to perform the customary rites. The story of how Enugu, Eziagulu & Onogu people were settled amongst our people, in the ancient Umueri clan after series of war of conquest from the Igala are well known facts. The series of war known in Umueri oral tradition as ‘Ogu Igala’ saw the war brought to an end with treaty dully signed by the Igbos & the Igala.

The "Umungalagu of present Aguleri", which literally means "Umu Igala agu", a name that was given them by the natives of ancient Umueri due to the bravery they exhibited during the war, was also settled in their present place by the people of Umueri after taking Oath of obedience before their hosts- the Okpus then of Umueri (now in Aguleri) and Ugume allocated some portion of land to Isiokwe after Oath taking; Some others were settled in Umunkiti Aguleri.

The areas WHERE these immigrants were settled were known as Agu-Eri- (Eri farm settlement). These immigrants assimilated with each other to become known as Aguleri. While the Onogu people are scattered amongst the children of earlier settlers in Igbariam, Nteje, Nsugbe and other coastal Igbo towns.

In 1974, the then traditional Ruler of Aguleri, Igwe Raphael Akwuba Idigo admitted openly in a publication that Aguleri people are from Igala ( See’The History of Aguleri’ by MCM Idigo, Page 5 (Published in 1955) ), that they migrated to Omambala about four hundred years ago. According to him they met Igbo Speaking people and by mixing with them and inter-marriage, the immigrants adopted the language. Even with this open confession, it’s worrisome to see some Aguleri declaring that they are the Igbo aborigine

Migration & trace of Umueri people

As a result of ancient war and need for expansion, most early settlers of Umueri left the valley in search of other habitable place. The Umu asaja-owu clan of Mmanomma Nneyi Umueri along with other families of Umudiana Umueri founded Abegbu (and to extention the Umuoba anam community), whereas the constant raid and inter-tribal war between the ancient Umueri town and Igala forced some of our people to migrate to distance places around the River Niger.

The Original Umueri settlers can be found amongst the Umuchi Ossomari Ogbaru, the Ozeh Nkwelle & the aborigine Onitsha, whom the Eze Chima conquered to establish the Eze Chima dynasty. Other distant places that descendants of the first Umueri people founded directly were the Ụmụeri-Owerri, Ụmụeri Ọraukwu, Umuoba Anam and even in faraway Kwale in delta state where the Ugume Kwale still recounts there history that they migrated from Ugume Umueri. At the height of Bini empire, most of the people who went to war of conquest for the Binis as medicine & Juju men in far away Yoruba land and could not return back founded places like Okeri(in Oyo), Iponri(Lagos) & Igboeri now called Igberi(in Kwara State). Apart from Umueri no other community in Igboland has such connection of lineages

CONCLUSION

It’s obvious that the Ancestors of Umueri are the first Igbos to migrate into the Omambala before others veered into it. Despite age long distortion and fallacy that has been planted over the ages, the name “Umueri”, which means "Children of Eri" has remain a natural and unbiased nomenclature indicating Umueri relationship with Eri.

Despite the gang up and will to outdo Umueri in the quest of claiming Eri heritage, a Renowned Author And Prince of Aguleri Chief FC Idigo concurred in his book “Igbo History: Hebrew Exiles of Eri Kingdon” , confirmed that the name “Umuleri” is 'Anglicized version of “Umu-Eri"

Even though that the Royal Prince, a man whose Father [A former King of Aguleri] confessed openly that their ancestors migrated from Igala was bent on foisting his home town as the ancestral home of the Igbos, he made some valid revelation that Iguedo was not the mother of Umueri. He therefore dispelled & disparaged the Iguedo link. He confirmed that Iguedo was a recent history that existed when Umueri has grown into a community and therefore should not be considered as a maternal ancestress of Umueri.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 2:37am On Mar 07, 2019
[quote author=UmuEri post=76417540]

Again you are mixing things up maybe as a result of some junk being peddled around by history invaders, so I won't blame you bro.

But let me help you put the records straight, Eri never gave birth to anybody called Agulu and I challenge you or anybody to show evidence.

The real Account and Oral Tradition & History of Eri justifies and points to the undeniable fact that Umueri, also mispronounced Umuleri and Aguleri is the cradle of Igbo race. The place called Aguleri (Agu- Eri) today is the Farmland of Eri as the name suggests.

The Community was homogenously of Igbo ethnic group and she is located at the heart of Omambala Valley bordered by Omambala River and various Anam Communities in the north, Nteje to the South, Aguleri and Nando in the Eastern flank and Nsugbe at the western western part.

Umueri was the oldest human settlement established by early Igbo founders. According to earliest scholars like GT Basdon “ it was part of the earliest human settlement, east of the Niger.”. This much was agreed by other Historians such as Prof Elisabeth Isichei who concurred that Anambra Valley was indeed the first area of human existence

THE HISTORICAL ORIGIN

The available oral tradition passed from generation to generation indicates that Umueri ancestors are group of migrating clan from an unknown place, though of late research on their habitats, cultural practices and artifacts they left behind suggests a connection with the fleeing Israelites of post Exodus era. The Settlers that infiltrated into the land settled at a place called Eri-aka and founded a clan called “Umueri” . Though the exact date, that they settled on the land was not known, many scholars were of view that it occurred around 940AD

According to Umueri Oral tradition, the town was nucleus of migrating but nomadic Clan which traced its origin to Eri, the son of Gad, the 7th Son of Jacob (Gen 29 vs 30). Although there were no written records existing to back up this assertion, its indeed true that the religious practices obtained in the area was a mixture of ancient Hebraic and animistic religion, as confirmed by the Early Europeans that visited the area

The following are names of 6 children of Eri who along with the families, concubines and slaves migrated into the enclave. They include:

Dabar (Dabarwo), Nri (Nrifukuanim),Namenyi (Nneyi), Riam (Nriamu), Ekema (Eke) & Omazi (Omasi) . Also in the parties include Children of other fleeing descendants of Jacob, who are not biologically children of Eri. Most of them moved upland to form the Igala kingdom, whereas some other migrated into the forest of Igboland. But the descendants of Eri assembled themselves at the Omambala valley and nicknamed themselves “Umueri Ovuakwu- which literally implies “Eri descendants of one stock

Meanwhile scholars are now of view that these early settlers, who lived in eastern Jordan migrated to Ethiopia where they dwelled for some time in valley of River Omo (also called River Omor), at the southern part of the country. It was from there that they journeyed southwards through the River until they arrived at bank of Omambala River. At that particular time, the River Omambala was a very large sea that flows from Enu Ugwume to Ugwu River in Adegbe Ikenga Umueri to the present location of the River. The settlers seeing that it was a very Huge River christened it “Omo-mbala” implying a very huge River (Literally meaning larger Omor River).It was from Omo-mbala, it became known as “Omambala” and corruptly christened Anambra by the Murtala Administration in 1976

Meanwhile, the mighty Omambala covers about 2/3rd of present Ikenga Umueri stretching over the modern day Aguakor farmland to Akor Stream as well as covering portion of Agu-Eri farmland (modern day Ezi Agulu and Ivite Aguleri) down to the whole of Otuoche(Otuocha). The Oral tradition of Umueri has it that it was these settlers led by Mystical Dabarwo that used their magical power to move & reduce the size of the overflowing sea to the river that we have today, thereby throwing up more uplands for many to live .

ARCHEALOGICAL EVIDENCES

Archaeologically, the trace of the habitat of the Early Igbo Settlers are still visible today in Umueri, for instance, "Akpu Nri" and "Okpotoeki" are still at Ugume Umueri, Whereas Akpu Nri is an antiquity of Great importance. It’s over a thousand year Old tree located at Ama Iruakpu-Ugume Umueri. It was said to be founded by founders of the early settlers of Agukwu Nri who left long time ago. The Surviving Generation of Elders confirmed it as antiquity of Great Historical Importance. Below are other Historical sites that would interest researchers in Umueri

1. Dabarwo Sacred Forest:- This place was habitat of earlier settlers and also serves as Tomb of the Dabarwo. Till death miracles are still recorded by going to the grave sites to call his names. It was also claimed by our ancestors that the early settlers established a temple of worship (obuga) at that area. The trace are still there till date.

2.Aro Nneyi:- Aro Nneyi was a habitat founded by Namenyi. In ancient Umueri clan that include all ancient Igbo communities and even unto today, the place served as holy city, where all the children of Eri gathered annually for prayers and prophetic declarations annually known in local parlance as “Iguaro”. Oral tradition confirmed that it was there that the Head of Iguedo was also buried. The early settlers also established a temple there (obuga). It now serves as the palace of Aro Chief priest.

3.Aja Ana Ukwu:- Is deity that the early settlers built to enable them sanitize the communities from atrocities and sacrilege. It serves as where to atone for sin and abomination cleansed. Its located in Nneyi Umueri. This earth goddess was built in obedience of stipulation of Exodus 20:24:

“"An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.

4.Ugwu River: The Ugwu River also served as habitat to descendants of Ugwu Dabawo. Though they later migrated back to Ugwume at the demise of their father Dabawor. According to the oral tradition it was there that the miracle that moved Omambala down to its present location. The trace of that movement is still visible unto this date

The Origin of Iguedo though seems to be a great puzzle to Historians than that of Eri/Dabawor but her importance in history of Igbo origin could not be over emphasis. Some Scholar attempted to credit her as maternal ancestry of Umueri town, but this attempt failed because there was no way She could be a daughter of Eri and got married to same man or his son inorder to begat Umueri. This is tantamount to taboo or "nso ani" in Igbo Culture. The Second Group has tagged her as Eri daughter who was allowed by her father to bear children at home without been married. But the Oral tradition of the entire Iguedo clans disagreed with this assertion as it could have amount to bastardization of Culture if Eri made such a taboo as all of their tradition indicates paternal origin

From Umueri Oral tradition, it’s clear that Iguedo was daughter of Nnamenyi, a sibling and co traveler of Dabawor. Her Father Nnamenyi were regarded in this version of Umueri oral tradition as founders of a portion of Umueri land known today as Nneyi Umueri (Short form of Nnamenyi Umueri). She was quoted to have married various men that include one of the earlier founder of Ogbunike, Onitsha Ado, Awkuzu, and Nando. Other version included Umunya as part of her children.

This much was also contained in Ozemena Nsugbe hit album “Kedu Ebe Igbo Si we bia” . On her death at Nando after a lengthy protracted sickness, Nando invited the rest of the towns she founded for burial arrangement and also sent message to Children of Nnamenyi, that their daughter has died . But then there was commotion and quarrel-lings on where to enter her body. Ogbunike who was the eldest of the Iguedos wanted the body to be taken home (Ogbunike) for burial since they are Children of the First Child but Nando Objected on the ground that they were people that took after her during her old age. Unknown to all of them, Umueri Emissary from Nnamenyi Clan had already made up their mind that their daughter corpse shall not be lost abroad Ozu Nwa Ada ana efu na Mba When commotion aroused due to arguments on where to buried her, the Emissary have no choice but to cut off her head and took it home where it was buried in Nneyi Umueri. This marks the cultural ritual of returning female corpse back to their ancestral home in Igbo adegbe area of Igboland.Ibuna ta Ozu Nwa Ada

Today the trace of her tomb is found in the Shrine of the Aro Oracle of Umueri while her body was finally buried in Nando. In order to commemorate her memorial, there was traditional annual Iguaro & "Oriri nne Iguedo" been celebrated in Nneyi Umueri and Nnado respectively unto this very day. And all her Children and relatives are expected to be there for the rituals

Over the years due to the gathering of Umuiguedo at Nneyi Umueri to commemorate the great Amazon, some scholars out of sheer ignorance distort history by regarding Umueri as part of Umuiguedo clan. This has led so many into believing in fallacies been peddled by the adversaries of Umueri.

[]b“The original settlers of the communities that make up the Umunri clan are descendants of the first settlers of Umueri. Therefore the people of Umunri, otherwise called Nri Kingdom, are part of our ancient town. The clan that consists Enugwu Ukwu, Nawfia, Agukwu and Enugwu Agidi trace their ancestry to Nri Ifukuanim of ancient Nri-aka Umueri. It is a fact that amongst numerous people that constitute the Umunri Kingdom, the descendants of Umueri people are regarded as aborigines or the head of their various communities. Those communities were even named after founders of Umueri lineages. The original settlers in Nri are from Nri-aka in old Ugume ana of Ikenga Umueri.[/b]

Nri people were actually occupying the large expanse of land between Ugume Umueri and Ikem Nando (then in old Umueri town) which today subsist in Ugwu Nzu. “There is a popular road path which exists till date which the the Nri people use for their itineraries from Ugume to Ugunzu and is called ‘EZI NRI AKA’ till today. The vast area was inhabited by the descendants of Umu-Eri up to Omabala na Ezu before the present settlement of aguleri which is a recent settlement.

The Ire and Oraeri were living in the portion of land lying between Agu Eneneanya and Agu Oda in today Ifite Umueri and Nneyi Umueri. The Ire people abandoned this area in flight due to the war between them and the Igalas. “Today the Ire people can be found in Abba, Obosi, Ogidi, Umuoji Enugu Ukwu. Occupying these portion of lands today are several artifacts’ and monuments, shrines, etc left behind by the fleeing Ires. “The Umunri oral tradition also confirmed that they once lived amongst our people here in Omambala valley.

The Nri people of Umueri extraction had no king just like every other true Igbo town until the arrival of the Igala settlers who were forced to scatter and live amongst all Igbo towns in northern Igbo communities as a result of the ancient war that was waged by the people of ancient Umueri clan. It was the Igala elements that brought the issue of kingship in Nri. It was a foreign culture amongst the earliest settlers.

Aguleri and Umueri were Neighbors and from all available evidence some part of Aguleri are part of ancient Umueri clan,that are descendants of the first Igbo settlers. Long ago, some of the villages of Aguleri people and Umueri live in ancient Umueri town as a community before the people of Ezi-agulu, Enugu & Onogu migrated from Igala land, following series of War between the Igbos and Igalas.

Aguleri which really translates to farmland of Eri (Agu-Eri) just like other farm settlement such as Agu Nnamenyi or Nnamenyi Farmland (Agu Nneyi for short), Agu-Mgbede(Mgbede farmland), Agu Ukatta(Ukatta farmland) was indeed a recent settlement inhabited by the descendants of Okpu of ancient Umueri town(now in Aguleri) until they were joined by strangers elements from Igala also referred as Umu-si-olu. The Inhabitants of Aguleri as presently constituted are largely immigrants from different places and they met the Okpu people of Ivite Aguleri who are referred as the head Village of Aguleri. The Okpu Village traced their lineage to Ugume-ana Village of Ikenga Umueri.

The Oral tradition of Umueri traces the genealogy to Dabawor, one of the descendants of Eri whose only daughter was Okpu, the founder of the most elderly village in Aguleri till today. Nevertheless, to prove the fact that the Okpu , the head village of Aguleri emanates from Umueri, the Okpu Village has kept the ritual practice of paying tribute to Dabawor Shrine. And they have never failed to pay the homage despite recent stain in the relationship Occasioned by land dispute, litigation and war. During Sacrifices, their elders received the daughterly share (an Omambala culture that’s still in existence) of hip or waist of Cow or Goat used for the sacrifice.

Apart from the Okpu, Umumba Igboezunu,Aguleri- the Custodian of Ajana Aguleri and the head kindred of Igboezunu Aguleri was part of ancient Umueri. They have never DENIED it's blood relationship with Ugume (Dabawor) Umueri. At the Installation of an AJANA Chief Priest, Ugume Village of Umueri is usually informed. It’s mandatory that “Sons of Dabawor (Ugume) should be there to perform the customary rites. The story of how Enugu, Eziagulu & Onogu people were settled amongst our people, in the ancient Umueri clan after series of war of conquest from the Igala are well known facts. The series of war known in Umueri oral tradition as ‘Ogu Igala’ saw the war brought to an end with treaty dully signed by the Igbos & the Igala.

The "Umungalagu of present Aguleri", which literally means "Umu Igala agu", a name that was given them by the natives of ancient Umueri due to the bravery they exhibited during the war, was also settled in their present place by the people of Umueri after taking Oath of obedience before their hosts- the Okpus then of Umueri (now in Aguleri) and Ugume allocated some portion of land to Isiokwe after Oath taking; Some others were settled in Umunkiti Aguleri.

The areas WHERE these immigrants were settled were known as Agu-Eri- (Eri farm settlement). These immigrants assimilated with each other to become known as Aguleri. While the Onogu people are scattered amongst the children of earlier settlers in Igbariam, Nteje, Nsugbe and other coastal Igbo towns.

In 1974, the then traditional Ruler of Aguleri, Igwe Raphael Akwuba Idigo admitted openly in a publication that Aguleri people are from Igala ( See’The History of Aguleri’ by MCM Idigo, Page 5 (Published in 1955) ), that they migrated to Omambala about four hundred years ago. According to him they met Igbo Speaking people and by mixing with them and inter-marriage, the immigrants adopted the language. Even with this open confession, it’s worrisome to see some Aguleri declaring that they are the Igbo aborigine

As a result of ancient war and need for expansion, most early settlers of Umueri left the valley in search of other habitable place. The Umu asaja-owu clan of Mmanomma Nneyi Umueri along with other families of Umudiana Umueri founded Abegbu (and to extention the Umuoba anam community), whereas the constant raid and inter-tribal war between the ancient Umueri town and Igala forced some of our people to migrate to distance places around the River Niger.

The Original Umueri settlers can be found amongst the Umuchi Ossomari Ogbaru, the Ozeh Nkwelle & the aborigine Onitsha, whom the Eze Chima conquered to establish the Eze Chima dynasty. Other distant places that descendants of the first Umueri people founded directly were the Ụmụeri-Owerri, Ụmụeri Ọraukwu, Umuoba Anam and even in faraway Kwale in delta state where the Ugume Kwale still recounts there history that they migrated from Ugume Umueri. At the height of Bini empire, most of the people who went to war of conquest for the Binis as medicine & Juju men in far away Yoruba land and could not return back founded places like Okeri(in Oyo), Iponri(Lagos) & Igboeri now called Igberi(in Kwara State). Apart from Umueri no other community in Igboland has such connection of lineages

CONCLUSION

It’s obvious that the Ancestors of Umueri are the first Igbos to migrate into the Omambala before others veered into it. Despite age long distortion and fallacy that has been planted over the ages, the name “Umueri”, which means "Children of Eri" has remain a natural and unbiased nomenclature indicating Umueri relationship with Eri.

Despite the gang up and will to outdo Umueri in the quest of claiming Eri heritage, a Renowned Author And Prince of Aguleri Chief FC Idigo concurred in his book “Igbo History: Hebrew Exiles of Eri Kingdon” , confirmed that the name “Umuleri” is 'Anglicized version of “Umu-Eri"

Even though that the Royal Prince, a man whose Father [A former King of Aguleri] confessed openly that their ancestors migrated from Igala was bent on foisting his home town as the ancestral home of the Igbos, he made some valid revelation that Iguedo was not the mother of Umueri. He therefore dispelled & disparaged the Iguedo link. He confirmed that Iguedo was a recent history that existed when Umueri has grown into a community and therefore should not be considered as a maternal ancestress of Umueri.[/quote

All the igbo story are fiction only the truth ones are of Asaba and Aunicta agbor. Aka has a meaning in Benin.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 2:48am On Mar 07, 2019
Weedfree:

And you also believe nri came from Israel
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 10:54pm On Mar 07, 2019
UmuEri:

THE HISTORICAL ORIGIN

ARCHEALOGICAL EVIDENCES

CONCLUSION

Even though that the Royal Prince, a man whose Father [A former King of Aguleri] confessed openly that their ancestors migrated from Igala was bent on foisting his home town as the ancestral home of the Igbos, he made some valid revelation that Iguedo was not the mother of Umueri. He therefore dispelled & disparaged the Iguedo link. He confirmed that Iguedo was a recent history that existed when Umueri has grown into a community and therefore should not be considered as a maternal ancestress of Umueri.

All what u wrote are just extension of what I wrote earlier of Eri connection to igala. If u Google Eri u would see what I wrote is excepted of the origin of Eri.
The Umuleri/Aguleri and Umuoba-Anam war is a war between the Aguleri and Umuleri. The Aguleri attempted to attack Umuleri overland.
The oral tradition history traces the origin of the Aguleri to a man named Eri, who according to its first close ethnographer, Jefferys 1934 The Divine Umudri kings of igboland.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 11:54pm On Mar 07, 2019
goalernestman:

And you also believe nri came from Israel

U see goalernestman I base my decisions on fact that I do research on and right now I don't see enough evidence to link igbo to Israel.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 1:29am On Mar 08, 2019
Weedfree:

U see goalernestman I base my decisions on fact that I do research on and right now I don't see enough evidence to link igbo to Israel.

Where are you from Weedfree
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 1:33am On Mar 08, 2019
Weedfree:

All what u wrote are just extension of what I wrote earlier of Eri connection to igala. If u Google Eri u would see what I wrote is excepted of the origin of Eri.
The Umuleri/Aguleri and Umuoba-Anam war is a war between the Aguleri and Umuleri. The Aguleri attempted to attack Umuleri overland.
The oral tradition history traces the origin of the Aguleri to a man named Eri, who according to its first close ethnographer, Jefferys 1934 The Divine Umudri kings of igboland.

Eri you wrote here came in 19th century so were do they find the second one that came in 9 century
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 5:41pm On Mar 08, 2019
goalernestman:

Where are you from Weedfree

I am the type of person that is not bound to ethnicity I belief my ethnicity is not important for u to know all u need to know is that I am Weedfree nothing more nothing less.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 5:53pm On Mar 08, 2019
goalernestman:

Eri you wrote here came in 19th century so were do they find the second one that came in 9 century

Ethnographer is a person who practice ethnography and ethnography is the branch of anthropology that scientifically describes specific human cultures and societies that is what Jeffery made findings in 1934.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 9:43pm On Mar 08, 2019
The Nri clan existed from as far back as the 9th century. Nri (the founder of Nri clan) and Aguleri were two of the sons of Eri (founder of Aguleri) and had migrated to the present day Nri from the Anambra (Omambala) river valley (Eriaka) in Aguleri in Northern igboland. Nri was said to have inherited spiritual powers from his father. The Nri people belong to the Umueri clans who trace their origins to Eri.
Some historians speculate that Eri may have migrated to the Anambra area out of the igala dynasty of central Nigeria. But there is convincing evidence that Onoja Oboli, actually another son of Eri.
Nando is the fourth and last son of Iguedo. The others being Ogbunike, Umueri and Awkuzu.
There have been numerous accounts on the life and person of Iguedo. Her history seems to have been a greater puzzle to Historians thanks that of Eri/Dabawor. However, none of the accounts about her can be out-rightly and correctly accepted or rejected as some of the data came purely through oral tradition and scanty archaeological discoveries although there is near unanimity in the various accounts concerning the strong connection between an individual called Iguedo and the towns that constitute Umu-Iguedo clan.
One of the more accepted opinions hold that she was a daughter of Eri. It is said to have had two wives. The first bore five children: Agulu (founder of Aguleri); and a daughter, Iguedo, who bore the founders of Ogbunike, Awkuzu, Umuleri and Nando. The smissind wife, Oboli, gave birth to Onoju who left the Anambra area and became the founder of Igala land.
A second group of thought attempted to tag as Eri's daughter who was allowed by her father to bear children at home without been married. However, the Oral tradition of the entire Iguedo clans disagree with this assertion as it would have amount to bastardization of Culture if Eri made such a taboo as all of their tradition indicates paternal origin.
A third opinion asserts that Iguedo came from either Agukwu or Onitsha. However, not many people share this view. That Iguedo came from Agukwu (Nri) could be an attempt to explain her relationship with the people of Nri. If she is said to have come from Onitsha, that may again be an effort to account for the profound respect which some parts of Onitsha accord he.
Iguedo's relationship with the people of Onitsha is supported by an oral tradition that asserts that the progenitors of the towns of Umu-Iguedo clan were born out of successive marriage of Iguedo to several men. She had first married Nnamenyi and Ogboli. Later, she got married to Riam (or Osodi) from Nri, and the fruit of their marriage was Eri (progenitor of Umueri). Finally, Nnamovo, a man who was believed to have come from Onitsha married Iguedo and she gave birth to Nando. It was in the land founded by Nando that Iguedo died and was buried.
However, another group counters that after her marriage to Nnamenyi, Eri took her as a wife and she bore him Dabawor (founder of modern Umuleri). At the demise of Eri, she then got married to Iru, a hunter and herbalist with whom she bore Ndo (the founder of Nando).
However, these attempt to credit Iguedo as the maternal ancestry of Umueri town seems to contradict the widely accepted knowledge that Iguedo was a daughter of Eri as there was no way She could be a daughter of Eri and still get married to him or his son in order to beget Umueri. This would be tantamount to taboo or "olili nne Iguedo', which was also known to have been held at Nneyi Umueri over the years.

Umueri version of Iguedo's history
This is supported by a version of Umueri oral tradition which asserts that Iguedo was the daughter of Nnamenyi, a sibling and co-traveler of Dabawor. Her father Nnamenyi was regarded in this version as the founder of a portion of Umueri land known as "Nneyi Umueri" ( Short form of Nnamenyi Umueri). She was quoted to have married various men that included one of the earlier founders of Ogbunike, Onitsha Ado, Awkuzu, and Nando.
On her death at Nando after a lengthy protracted sickness, Nando was said to have invited the rest of the Umu-Iguedo clans for burial arrangement and also sent a message to the other children of Nnamenyi informing them of their daughter's death. But then there was commotion and arguments on where to buy her body. Ogbunike who was the eldest of the Iguedos wanted the body to be taken home (Ogbunike) for burial since they are children of the first child but Nando Objected on the ground that they were the people that took care of her during her old age. Unknown to all of them, Umueri delegates went outside for private talk and after deciding among themselves that their daughter's corpse would not be lost to others ("Ozunwa ada ana efu na mba" ), returned singing war music. They further proceeded to cut off her head and took it home with them where it was buried in Nneyi Umueri.
Today the trace of her tomb is found in the shrine of the Aro Oracle of Umueri while her body was finally buried in Nando.
Aguleri, where the Igbo creation myth originates, are in the territory of the Umueri clan, who trace their lineage back to the patriarchal king-figure, Eri. Umueri tradition state that Onoja Oboni, however, is of royal
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 12:58am On Mar 09, 2019
Weedfree:

The Nri clan existed from as far back as the 9th century. Nri (the founder of Nri clan) and Aguleri were two of the sons of Eri (founder of Aguleri) and had migrated to the present day Nri from the Anambra (Omambala) river valley (Eriaka) in Aguleri in Northern igboland. Nri was said to have inherited spiritual powers from his father. The Nri people belong to the Umueri clans who trace their origins to Eri.
Some historians speculate that Eri may have migrated to the Anambra area out of the igala dynasty of central Nigeria. But there is convincing evidence that Onoja Oboli, actually another son of Eri.
Nando is the fourth and last son of Iguedo. The others being Ogbunike, Umueri and Awkuzu.
There have been numerous accounts on the life and person of Iguedo. Her history seems to have been a greater puzzle to Historians thanks that of Eri/Dabawor. However, none of the accounts about her can be out-rightly and correctly accepted or rejected as some of the data came purely through oral tradition and scanty archaeological discoveries although there is near unanimity in the various accounts concerning the strong connection between an individual called Iguedo and the towns that constitute Umu-Iguedo clan.
One of the more accepted opinions hold that she was a daughter of Eri. It is said to have had two wives. The first bore five children: Agulu (founder of Aguleri); and a daughter, Iguedo, who bore the founders of Ogbunike, Awkuzu, Umuleri and Nando. The smissind wife, Oboli, gave birth to Onoju who left the Anambra area and became the founder of Igala land.
A second group of thought attempted to tag as Eri's daughter who was allowed by her father to bear children at home without been married. However, the Oral tradition of the entire Iguedo clans disagree with this assertion as it would have amount to bastardization of Culture if Eri made such a taboo as all of their tradition indicates paternal origin.
A third opinion asserts that Iguedo came from either Agukwu or Onitsha. However, not many people share this view. That Iguedo came from Agukwu (Nri) could be an attempt to explain her relationship with the people of Nri. If she is said to have come from Onitsha, that may again be an effort to account for the profound respect which some parts of Onitsha accord he.
Iguedo's relationship with the people of Onitsha is supported by an oral tradition that asserts that the progenitors of the towns of Umu-Iguedo clan were born out of successive marriage of Iguedo to several men. She had first married Nnamenyi and Ogboli. Later, she got married to Riam (or Osodi) from Nri, and the fruit of their marriage was Eri (progenitor of Umueri). Finally, Nnamovo, a man who was believed to have come from Onitsha married Iguedo and she gave birth to Nando. It was in the land founded by Nando that Iguedo died and was buried.
However, another group counters that after her marriage to Nnamenyi, Eri took her as a wife and she bore him Dabawor (founder of modern Umuleri). At the demise of Eri, she then got married to Iru, a hunter and herbalist with whom she bore Ndo (the founder of Nando).
However, these attempt to credit Iguedo as the maternal ancestry of Umueri town seems to contradict the widely accepted knowledge that Iguedo was a daughter of Eri as there was no way She could be a daughter of Eri and still get married to him or his son in order to beget Umueri. This would be tantamount to taboo or "olili nne Iguedo', which was also known to have been held at Nneyi Umueri over the years.

This is supported by a version of Umueri oral tradition which asserts that Iguedo was the daughter of Nnamenyi, a sibling and co-traveler of Dabawor. Her father Nnamenyi was regarded in this version as the founder of a portion of Umueri land known as "Nneyi Umueri" ( Short form of Nnamenyi Umueri). She was quoted to have married various men that included one of the earlier founders of Ogbunike, Onitsha Ado, Awkuzu, and Nando.
On her death at Nando after a lengthy protracted sickness, Nando was said to have invited the rest of the Umu-Iguedo clans for burial arrangement and also sent a message to the other children of Nnamenyi informing them of their daughter's death. But then there was commotion and arguments on where to buy her body. Ogbunike who was the eldest of the Iguedos wanted the body to be taken home (Ogbunike) for burial since they are children of the first child but Nando Objected on the ground that they were the people that took care of her during her old age. Unknown to all of them, Umueri delegates went outside for private talk and after deciding among themselves that their daughter's corpse would not be lost to others ("Ozunwa ada ana efu na mba" ), returned singing war music. They further proceeded to cut off her head and took it home with them where it was buried in Nneyi Umueri.
Today the trace of her tomb is found in the shrine of the Aro Oracle of Umueri while her body was finally buried in Nando.
Aguleri, where the Igbo creation myth originates, are in the territory of the Umueri clan, who trace their lineage back to the patriarchal king-figure, Eri. Umueri tradition state that Onoja Oboni, however, is of royal

if Nri is from Onitsha meaning Nri is from Benin according to Obi of Onitsha and Onitsha history state they came from Benin
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 1:04am On Mar 09, 2019
Weedfree:

Onitsha Mmili was known as Ado N'Idu by migrants who departed from the vicinity of the Kingdom of Benin near the far western portion of Igboland (near what is now Agbor), after a violent dispute with the Oba of Benin that can be tentatively dated to the early 1500s.[5] These migrants traveled eastward through what is now Western Igboland and various towns also called "Onitsha", for example Onicha-Ugbo, "farmland-Onitsha" source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onitsha
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 1:15am On Mar 09, 2019
Weedfree:

Ethnographer is a person who practice ethnography and ethnography is the branch of anthropology that scientifically describes specific human cultures and societies that is what Jeffery made findings in 1934.

Obi of Issele uku listen to what their king will say here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXZ9rJVIMh4
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by Weedfree: 12:04am On Mar 10, 2019
goalernestman:

if Nri is from Onitsha meaning Nri is from Benin according to Obi of Onitsha and Onitsha history state they came from Benin

I never said Nri is from Onitsha I said Iguedo the daughter of Eri gave birth to the rulers of Onitsha. And yes the Onitsha are migrated from Benin empire but they operate a system similar to the Igbo people.
Re: Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. by goalernestman: 12:55am On Mar 10, 2019
Weedfree:

I never said Nri is from Onitsha I said Iguedo the daughter of Eri gave birth to the rulers of Onitsha. And yes the Onitsha are migrated from Benin empire but they operate a system similar to the Igbo people.

Eri of 9th century gave birth to the ruler of Onitsha. And Onitsha also migrated from Benin empire in 14th century during the time of Oba eware and started having a king a (Benin prince) in 15th century. Now who is deceiving who?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 305
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.