Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria (729 Views)

Buhari Moves To Block Influx Of Foreign Construction Workers Into Nigeria / Buhari's Convoy As He Makes Entry Into Aso Villa (Photo) / Nigerians Blast APC For Sneaking Buhari Into Nigeria At Night (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Jan 11, 2010

The radical Jamaican cleric who was deported to Gambia last week has been spotted in Kenya, officials reported on Sunday. Abdullah Al-Faisal, a Jamaican Muslim cleric was flown to Lagos, Nigeria, on Thursday in a private jet after airlines decline to have him board their planes. It was the second time the east African nation had tried unsuccessfully to deport the cleric On Tuesday, the Kenyan authorities reportedly drove him to the border of Tanzania because he had entered Kenya from there, but Tanzania refused him entry as well.

According to a Muslim and human rights group in Kenya, Al-Faisal is being held in a remand prison in the Kenyan capital Nairobi. How he found his way back in Kenya remains un-clear. Sources say Nigerian authorities refused to grant him a transit visa and instead sent him back to Kenya early Sunday. Al-Amin Kimathi, Muslim Human Rights Forum chairman told Newstime Africa that Al-Faisal is being held at the Industrial Area Prison and has not been charged in court. Al-Faisal was arrested by Kenyan authorities on New Year’s Eve for entering that country ‘illegally’.

Irate Muslims held protest demos in Kenya’s capital Nairobi after Jumaa prayers at Jamia Mosque on Friday and accused the Kenyan government on sidelining Muslims. The human rights group says Kenya is the only country in Africa of the 10 he has traversed where he is finding hardships. His lawyer, Mbugua Mureithi plans to go to court later to compel the government to release Al-Faisal. The lawyer explained that his client’s health, Al-Faisal, is deteriorating and is being held with no charge opened against him.

Kenyan officials have said Al-Faisal had traveled to Kenya from Nigeria through Angola, Malawi, Swaziland, Mozambique and Tanzania. Kenyan Immigration Minister Otieno Kajwang pointed out that Al-Faisal is in the watch-list of persons not allowed to visit the East African nation since 2007. Mr. Faisal was convicted in Britain in 2003 of inciting racial hatred for urging his followers to kill Hindus, Christians, Jews and Americans. Britain deported him to Jamaica in 2007.

http://www.newstimeafrica.com/archives/10220
Re: Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:54pm On Jan 11, 2010
[size=13pt]Airlines Refuse to Transport Radical Cleric [/size]

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/world/africa/11kenya.html

NAIROBI, Kenya — The radical Jamaican cleric who was deported to Gambia last week has been returned to Kenya, Kenyan news media reported late on Sunday.

It was the second time Kenya had tried unsuccessfully to deport the cleric, Abdullah el-Faisal, who was arrested a week ago in Mombasa. The Kenyan authorities said Mr. Faisal’s history of radical statements and connections with convicted terrorists made him a threat to Kenya’s security.

Kenya had flown him to Lagos, Nigeria, on Thursday, according to news reports. From there, he was scheduled to fly to Gambia and then to Jamaica. But airlines in Nigeria refused to fly him to Gambia, news media reported.

Kenya’s efforts have been hampered by the refusal of several countries to allow Mr. Faisal to pass through their borders or travel on their airlines. On Tuesday, the Kenyan authorities reportedly drove him to the border of Tanzania because he had entered Kenya from there, but Tanzania refused him entry.

On Thursday, Gambia offered to help get him to Jamaica, but now it is unclear how he can travel to Gambia.

Muslim leaders and human rights activists said Sunday that they had spotted Mr. Faisal at a Nairobi prison.

“He is being held at the Industrial Area Prison and we don’t understand why he is there because he has never been charged in court,” local news outlets quoted a Muslim human rights official as saying.

Mr. Faisal was the imam of a London mosque attended by the so-called shoe bomber, Richard C. Reid, and Zacarias Moussaoui, the only person convicted in an American court for involvement in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. And he may have influenced the Nigerian man accused of trying to blow up a Northwest Airlines flight last month, who had cited Mr. Faisal as a cleric he listened to.

Mr. Faisal was convicted in Britain in 2003 of inciting racial hatred for urging his followers to kill Hindus, Christians, Jews and Americans, and he was accused of influencing one of the bombers who struck the London transit system in July 2005. Britain deported him to Jamaica in 2007, and it is not clear how he ended up in Africa.
Re: Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by ElRazur: 5:47pm On Jan 11, 2010
One question I will ask, if the US haven't upped the ante on us, I have a feeling no one will deport this guy. Well done USA. . . . .If idiots in Nigeria refuse to act, I can always reply of the good ol US of A to give them a bit of push in the right direction. grin

PS
The guy is an i.diot, I have heard him preached in the UK before and he is nothing but a racist-bigoted-terror-loving-muslim. If I remember correctly, he is on benefits even though he condemns the very nation that pay for his house, council tax and living allowances. How nice.
Re: Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by smoothine: 6:02pm On Jan 11, 2010
I wish we were in the 19th century ,people like this would have been castrated and that his beard burnt while he watches it.stupid muthafucker.
I think he should be psychoanalyzed so that people like him would be easy to identify and dealt with.
Re: Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by princekevo(m): 7:48pm On Jan 11, 2010
I dont even blame Kenya for one bit. I no blame them at all. So to them now, Nigerian has turn to a dumping ground for terrorist, for their stup.id immigration to even stamp the idio.t out of kenya to Nigeria. Do kenya airways not go to South America?Tml now the world will say he was on transit in the same Nigeria again, and no one will then remember he was jst there on transit. God Pass every one of you.
Re: Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jan 11, 2010
This guy would've easily entered Nigeria if not for the spotlight currently on Nigeria.

Nonetheless, well done to the Nigerian Immigration service for at least not granting him entry.
Re: Radical Muslim Cleric Refused Entry Into Nigeria by sjeezy8: 8:27pm On Jan 11, 2010
Nigerian Govt is funny ,if we werent a listed as a terrorist Nation this guy would be preaching his hate sermons in our country.

good for the US govt for listing Nigeria and making Nigerian govt realize Nigeria is indeed a country of interest for terrorist.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Arrest Ogbulafor Now, Says Court / Nigerians And Nigerian Flag / Next Generation Nigeria - Youth Voice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.