Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana (13183 Views)

Vietnam Stopped Issuing Visas To West African Travellers Because Of Ebola / AVIC International To Set Up Headquarters In Nairobi-kenya At US$ 200m / Re: Insult: Mtn Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by londoner: 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2010
@Jrtorrent, Papaye is owned by Mr Samir Kalmoni, I think he is Lebanese. The other one Frankies, who owns it? I didn't see any chains of it when I was there, is it just one fast food joint?

Anyhoo, I do know Nigerian banks are doing very well in Ghana, I just didn't see very many Ghanaian banks at all, maybe they have less presence though. I mainly saw Nigerian banks and Barclays.

@Sir Kay, yes crime is at different rates across Nigeria, and you know what? I saw and heard if crime in Ghana. I have also been to Abuja, I'm sorry but its MUCH safer than Accra generally. Even my Ghanaian boyfriend commented about it when he came to Abuja with me and he lives in Ghana.

The people of Ghana have made sure their government gives them what they want. Its time for Nigerians to step up to the plate.
@Back to the topic, MTN is not wrong in what it is doing, it makes sense, its not spite or insult it is business. It is now up to Nigeria/ns to make necessary changes so that in future these companies wonder if they've done the right thing in leaving.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by jrtorrents: 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2010
@londerner

Mr Samir Kalmoni Ghanaian of Lebanese, am told his family has been in Ghana even before he was born.and Papaye is a Ghanaian language meaning Goodness is good. There are as well several others, i have forgotten their names since I left Ghana a while ago.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Amjustme: 4:46pm On Jan 12, 2010
Please edit this topic, there is nothing INSULTING about this topic
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by londoner: 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2010
I know Papaye is a Ghanaian word, but the guy is Lebanese. Anyway I get your point. When I say Ghanaian owned, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyhoo, back to topic.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by ayusman16(m): 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2010
Sometimes i wonder wat Nigerians use in thinking but am sure nt their heads. Nigerians sure have misplaced priorities. So you nw blame MTN, a foreigner country 4 deciding whr 2 locate its headquarter. Let me bring 2 ur notice dat even our president does nt find Nigeria good enough. if he did, he wldnt av gone 2 anoda country 4 medical treatment. so why blame mtn. our leaders children do nt attend our substandard schools, they import their guds 4rm abroad etc. so why blame mtn. don't worry our beloveth glo wld soon pack 2 Benin because Nigeria is nt gud enuf.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by ayusman16(m): 4:57pm On Jan 12, 2010
sorry guys. meant 2 say foreign company,
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by londoner: 5:07pm On Jan 12, 2010
Nigerians sometimes need to be less emotional,
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by jrtorrents: 5:10pm On Jan 12, 2010
@londerner
to the topic I think it is of no use for Nigerians to be hating on Ghana, what you should be doing is to press upon you government to make your country more business friendly. I heard lot of people arguing about the population of nigeria and i dont really see the point. Why do you think baks would move to Caymen Islands or Switzerland which has really small populations? Its all about incentives I guess. , and last thing is not everything is well with Ghana.

NB. You should be watching Nigeria match against Egypte than to be responding to posts on nairaland, lol
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by londoner: 5:20pm On Jan 12, 2010
@Jrtorrents, I'm not hating on Ghana, but I found there is never any balance whenever we talk about both countries. As much as some companies are finding incentives for going elsewhere, others are trying to come into Nigeria. So you can ask me why are they leaving, then I'll ask you why are others coming.

Anyway, I dont think there is a Nigerian on earth who doesn't know we need to improve our country, not for others but for ourselves.

Btw,I'm a woman, so I'm not really into football, and I get really annoyed most of the time watching Nigeria play. I was in Ghana when the under 21 tourney was being played btw.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by aloyemeka7: 5:39pm On Jan 12, 2010
[size=20pt]BOYCOTT MTN PLEASE AND SWITCH TO  GLO. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO ENRICH COMPANIES WHO THINK WE ARE silly AND BACKWARD[/size]
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by whiteroses(f): 5:40pm On Jan 12, 2010
^ why do you feel the need to make your opinion that bait?

thats because we've now been marked as a terrorist country and ghana people are very proffesional, but i think outsiders are aware of the competition between ghana-naija so they usually do these things to touch a nerve.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by jrtorrents: 5:45pm On Jan 12, 2010
@londoner
My cousin who is a female likes football and also know a lot of women who like football.
Come to think of it, Egypte just equalised, good you decided not to watch, your national team is heat breaking maybe you should support Ghana, hihihi
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by tkb417(m): 5:53pm On Jan 12, 2010
how do u mean our national team is heartbreaking
th last time Ghana won the nations cup was in Libya-1982

we won in 1994
so what are u sayin?
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by hackney(m): 5:55pm On Jan 12, 2010
Ghana is a more condusive environment to setup business.
simplez . mschewww!!
Why? start with infrastructure like road , power. . . . .
Also factors like people(Lol) etc.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by BAC: 6:02pm On Jan 12, 2010
aloy*emeka:

[size=20pt]BOYCOTT MTN PLEASE AND SWITCH TO  GLO. WE CANNOT AFFORD TO ENRICH COMPANIES WHO THINK WE ARE silly AND BACKWARD[/size]

You see what i mean, most nigerians have second hand brains they refuse to use, excluding me of course. When it comes to business and what makes a business succeed they always refuse to shift the position of their empty heads. Even if they get a hard knock from thier maker they still refuse to use those brains stuck between their ears.

MTN management does not care about your unemployment people, if you care about that give you rulers a ring. What would make their business increase profit year on year is their business.

To control those empty headed university educated staff in Nigeria is a nightmare to behold. If i have the opportunity to move my business out of Nigeria i will do so quick,

MTN i say congratulation,  wink
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by londoner: 6:22pm On Jan 12, 2010
Jrtorrents, support Ghana black stars, never!

They have been playing well of late though. I suppose thats football. Lose some ,win some.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Akanbiedu(m): 6:52pm On Jan 12, 2010
aloy*emeka:

I don't know why people get emotional about issues.  MTN is a business outfit for God's sake. Decisions are made from business sense.

People don't worry, it's all coming back to us.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by NIGboi(m): 7:07pm On Jan 12, 2010
MTN, ur best connection. makes me laugh. Waiting for the time when Nigerians will open their eyes. MTN has been ripping us off from the word go.
our government has to stand up and do the right things.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by ayusman16(m): 7:44pm On Jan 12, 2010
i hate it when some dumb nigerians say mtn rips em off. is thr no alternative? did anybdy put a gun in ur head 2 use mtn? switch 2 etisalat, glo or zain except u enjoy them ripping u off. wake up nigerians. nw i undstand why we tolerate bad governance.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by suyaman: 7:49pm On Jan 12, 2010
Nigeria is reaping what it has sown.  I know many people doing business in Nigeria, including myself and the stories of some of the hassles we endure are amazing.  

It is not only the issue of irractic power supply or bad roads, lack of good hospitals and other infrastructure challenges but a general attitude in Nigeria towards business especially foreign business. There is a sense that if you want to do business in Nigeria "you are lucky we allow you to operate here" who must pay homage to so many different people and play by different rules than the rest of the world.   When a decision is made that is in best interest of the business like relocating the headquarters to Ghana there is an emotional outburst that they should pack up and leave, and we don't need them anyway.  There is a general jealousy and zenophobia in Nigeria towards foreigners.  In many cases there is a sense of glee if a Nigerian can "dup" a foreigner or take advantage of them.  Many employees have short term thinking about what can i get for myself today instead of how can I help the company grow, and start working against the best interest of the business.

There are all kinds of challenges like Government officials who force companies to pay bribes for everything, tax collectors and local government boys who make life miserable for businesses to operate with uneven policies and collect tax not based on anything concrete.  Policies and procedures are kept in the dark so that the officials have power over you and when you "mess up" you must pay them to get out of the situation.  Once the business achieves some kind of success all sort of new rules and requirements are tacked onto the business regardless of how it will affect the companies bottom line.

Would you want to locate your headquarters in that kind of environment?  We all want Nigeria to succeed and thrive.  I love Nigeria but the things mentioned above are the types of things that drive business away from Nigeria, including Nigerian businesses.   I think we will continue to see businesses relocating to Ghana until this attitude and operating environment is changed.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by shabbie(m): 7:56pm On Jan 12, 2010
[size=14pt]Walahi, I miss OBASANJO[/size]
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by babadudu04: 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2010
If you are not happy with MTN moving to Ghana please change to another service provider in the country.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by archbishop(m): 8:20pm On Jan 12, 2010
Hello Nairalanders,
Please all Nigerians should drop their all their MTN lines, and let all of us use Glo.
Glo, rule your world ( Naija). We all should be prould of our country.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by archbishop(m): 8:44pm On Jan 12, 2010
I wish we all could appreciate Glo now.
Bleep MTN. This criminals are all out to ruin this Great country of ours.
SHAME to Paschal Dozie and his Criminals friends.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 12, 2010
mtn is number 1. guess what, its also available in afghanistan. yeh.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by IVYNerd: 8:48pm On Jan 12, 2010
Strategically, setting the cost of doing business aside, MTN is up to something. Ghana economy is doing well at the moment, oil money is going to start flowing to the economy 3rd quarter 2010. The  economic and political reform Ghanian's past administration put in place have, of course, positioned the country to even do better in the future. Unfortunately, Nigeria's leaderships are too myopic to see this,  let alone think strategically, they've been so burried with petty politics rather than doing what is right for the counry.

If we didn't get our house in other, here is what is going to happen: more companies and industries will shift their base to Ghana and send their goods to Nigeria under ECOWAS agreement. How is that going to work? Look no further than the  trade agreement that exist between ECOWAS countries. Companies that moves to Ghana will be able to capitalize on this agreement, and send their manufactred goods from Ghana to Nigeria tariff free. Keep in mind that the transportational cost that could make the goods expensive will be lowered once the rail line and roads between Nigeria and Ghana are completed.

Also, the security situation in Ghana makes it more condusive for business. By the time you add all these variables together, couple with higher operational cost of doing business in Nigeria, Ghana looks more attractive.

Nigeria can solve this probllem if we can get our act together.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by louchi: 8:52pm On Jan 12, 2010
Unless 10 farouks visit Aso rock, the calibre of leaders we have will continue milking . MTN made a very good business move and people are bashing them. Nigeria has to earn its respect, and for now no one cares what the country thinks. Let us admit the truth that Nigeria is a pathetic state and can't be any better if it continues to recycle the same brand of leadership cry. Most of these leaders have their kids abroad so how will they care if your kids eat, school or work. Look at the little that Fashola did, and everyone is praising him, is that not enough to show how disconnected this so called democracy is embarassed. I will reiterate, until leadership changes for good , Naija will remain stagnant. for the sake of future generations let us all critically think about naija, which way forward. I implore sane young minds in this vast nairaland network to discuss positively and not dwell on petty issues. Naija no be mouth na will power and effort. smiley
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by ChapelleS: 8:56pm On Jan 12, 2010
[size=15pt]Join "Boycott MTN:MTN Ungrateful to 30 Million Nigerian Subscribers" on facebook and spread the news[/size]
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 12, 2010
Chapelle.S:

[size=15pt]Join "Boycott MTN:MTN Ungrateful to 30 Million Nigerian Subscribers" on facebook and spread the news[/size]
what profits are you all talking bout when 29.8million out of the 30 million people on the mtn network can only flash. has flashing become profit. oh God where are you.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Igweojoto: 9:17pm On Jan 12, 2010
I will not expect anything less from a man that lives in a war ravaged country.If flashing is all you do,others make calls.
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Akeemos: 9:19pm On Jan 12, 2010
BULL SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't be surprised, MTN Staff would start bombarding this board with some stupid reason why it should be in Accra and not nigeria and why their fellow Nigerians don't understand economics!!!!!!!!

I MOVE THAT WE START THE NO MTN USAGE CRUSADE, HOW WILL THE COUNTRY BE BETTER IF THE COYS WE SPEND SO MUCH ON DECIDE TO TAKE OUR OWN MONEY TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO DEVELOP THEM AND CONTINUE TO SAY WE DO NOT HAVE LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

THESE THING IS ANNOYING, THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY TRULY MAD AFTER COLLECTING MY MONEY OVER THE YEARS, GOD WILL JUDGE THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

I HEREBY DROP MY MTN LINE OFFICIAL, NOTHING WILL MAKE ME PICK UP THAT LINE AGAIN IF THINGS DON'T IMPROVE, GLO + ZAIN , HERE I COME!!!!!!
Re: Insult: MTN Locates West African Headquarters In Ghana by Akeemos: 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2010
Chapelle.S:

YOU HAVE MY SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE POST THE FACEBOOK LINK and please let's tweet, taaf and linkedin it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
COME ON NIGERIA, LET US SHOW THE POWER OF NUMBERS, THIS ACN'T JUST GO LIKE THAT, THEY ARE SIMPLY MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Govt Shuts Down Alade Market Over Environmental Violation / Heritage Bank Acquires Enterprise Bank / What Business Can Someone Start With #100,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.