Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,235 members, 7,829,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) (1823 Views)

Army Cadet Torturing Man 4 Complimenting Female Officer- NDA Releases Statement / PMB And Deputy Prime Minister Of UAE (Hilarious) / Army Reacts To Photo Of Soldiers Torturing A Man In Nassarawa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by Sagamite(m): 3:32am On Jan 12, 2010
This is one sick baastard I would like to meet without his bodyguards.

[size=18pt]US concern after UAE acquits sheikh in torture case[/size]

The US has called on the United Arab Emirates to review a court ruling which acquitted a member of its ruling family of torture charges.

The court found Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al-Nahyan not guilty of abusing an Afghan man - apparently on grounds of diminished responsibility.

A US state department official said questions had been raised and the US would welcome a careful review.

US TV broadcast a video last year of the Afghan man being violently beaten.

The tape showed Sheikh Nahyan apparently torturing the man, named as Mohamed Shapoor, in the desert at night, beating him, letting off rifle rounds close to him, and driving over him with a car (SUV).

The sheikh, who is the half-brother of the UAE's president, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed, was acquitted on Sunday while five other defendants were found guilty.

The case marks the first reported investigation of a UAE ruling family member.

Five convicted

PJ Crowley, a spokesman for the US state department, said all members of Emirati society "must stand equal before the law".

"We remain concerned for the victims of this horrible crime," he said.

"We'd welcome a careful review of this decision,  to ensure that the demands of justice are fully met in this case."

The judge delivering the verdict in the trial did not explain the reasons for the acquittal.

However, Sheikh Nahyan's defence said its plea of "diminished liability" had been accepted, Reuters news agency reports.

The defence had argued that the sheikh had been drugged by two American-Lebanese brothers, Ghassan and Bassam Nabulsi, who recorded the beating in order to blackmail him.

The Nabulsi brothers were sentenced in their absence to five years in prison for drugging Sheikh Hassan and attempting to blackmail him with the video. They were also fined 10,000 dirham ($2,723, £1,700).

Three other men were sentenced to between one and three years for their role in the torture.

The incident came to light after US television network ABC broadcast clips of the tape, which was smuggled out of the UAE by a former business associate of Sheikh Nahyan.

Reports say the merchant had lost a consignment of grain belonging to Sheikh Nahyan worth $5,000 (£3,300). He survived the abuse, but needed extensive hospital treatment.

The UAE is a federation of seven wealthy emirates with substantial oil reserves and a large expatriate population. Each emirate is run by a ruling family and citizens are granted few political rights.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8453280.stm

[flash=400,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/11RgN5r0Qb8&feature=related[/flash]
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by rasputinn(m): 7:40am On Jan 12, 2010
I'm stunned
Oligarchy is such a pu.ss.y
To think that that barbarian gloating in the video will be discharged and aquitted by some dummy p.u.ssy court,yaeaaaak.Very disgusting
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by FBS: 8:02am On Jan 12, 2010
Watched it on CNN and I was like WTF!!!!  shocked
The excuses the mad i.diot's lawyer gave was even worse. . .
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by otawa: 8:10am On Jan 12, 2010
The US has called on the United Arab Emirates to review a court ruling which acquitted a member of its ruling family of torture charges.

US should shut-up.

They should rather provide JUSTICE to thousands of Iraqi they have MURDERED, KILLED AND TORTURED and families they destroyed.
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by deor03(m): 9:55am On Jan 12, 2010
otawa:

US should shut-up.

They should rather provide JUSTICE to thousands of Iraqi they have MURDERED, KILLED AND TORTURED and families they destroyed.

word!
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by ChapelleS: 9:57am On Jan 12, 2010
@Kosovo

Return the topic 'Insult:mtn Locates Headquaters In Ghana' from phones section to politics section because am about to do something nasty right now.
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by nacom2(f): 10:53am On Jan 12, 2010
Its an unfair world that's a fact.The rich and wealthy get away with a lot of things ! ! embarassed

@ Chapelle.S
WHY are u spamming every where with this ur dumb posts !!
Chapelle.S:

@Kosovo

Return the topic 'Insult:mtn Locates Headquaters In Ghana' from phones section to politics section because am about to do something nasty right now.
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by Sagamite(m): 11:53am On Jan 12, 2010
@Chapelle

Are you retarded?

What has that got to do with this thread? Couldn't you open a thread for your complaints?

Ediot, even your MTN stuff should not be under Politics, it should be under the Business section, dimwit!!!
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jan 12, 2010
where are those radical practitioners of sharia law when you need them angry
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by Ibime(m): 2:24pm On Jan 12, 2010
Animal!
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by asha80(m): 2:25pm On Jan 12, 2010
oyb:

where are those radical practitioners of sharia law when you need them angry

shocked
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by Sagamite(m): 2:35pm On Jan 12, 2010
What is $5,000 to this animal?

He should have been charged with attempted murder for driving a SUV over the man.

Absolute baastard!!! I wish I could be given the chance to do to him what he does unto others. Animal!

I guess the judge had no choice, except he wants to disappear into the desert soon.
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by xterra2(m): 5:41pm On Jan 12, 2010
I was shocked at this ,imagine Sheikh of UAE himself , And being acquitted thank god nigeria is not only the bad country where innocent people are tortued
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 12, 2010
lol i can just imagine if this man was tortured by US troops. grin

Where are the "outraged" muslims?
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by PapaBrowne(m): 2:40am On Jan 13, 2010
I got to say this mehn! There's something about arabs/muslims, something is just not right somewhere!!

I say this not only because of the actions of this sheik, but because he was acquitted for crying out loud, despite the video evidence.
In UAE of all places!!! I can;t believe this!!
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by sjeezy8: 3:12am On Jan 13, 2010
Besides a FEW muslims that are against acts like this, the majority of them ignore it and look the other way.
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by okunoba(m): 5:41am On Jan 13, 2010
the same shit happens in Nigeria all the time, no need to pick on Arabs and muslims guys.
Re: Sheikh Of UAE Films Himself Torturing Man Horribly (and Is Acquitted) by PapaBrowne(m): 11:53am On Jan 13, 2010
sjeezy8:

Besides a FEW muslims that are against acts like this, the majority of them ignore it and look the other way.
That's the part i don't understand. And I bet you, it is fast eroding any respect I had for the religion.

If that were Barack Obama or George Bush or even Obasanjo committing that kind of atrocity with clear video evidence, there is no way they wouldn't be rotting in jail by now. Sick!!
I'm to attend a conference in Dubai next month, but after watching this video, I don't feel like going anymore!!

(1) (Reply)

This Dora, Our Dora: / Submit Your Suggestion To The Fg Job Creation Committee / Let Us Celebrate Hon Obahigbon By Speaking His Language On This Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.